PDA

View Full Version : G750JH charger/power supply problem

Selturus
03-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Hello, I recently bought my G750JH, 1 month ago to be precise, and in the beginning I had no problems with it whatsoever. But in recent days, I encountered severe problems with power supply. My friend gave me advice that, when I'm home to remove my battery from notebook and connect it directly with cable in order to extend my battery life. After few days, I got sudden problems, my notebook would randomly switch off during work/gaming. It gave me quite a lot of trouble to be honest. Then, in order to stop that from happening, I started using battery/charger connection. While playing games or something else, I'd see that charger is losing connection with notebook for few seconds, then after I literally touch the place where charger is connected, it would get contact back. I reported the issue with ASUS support tech here, they will see what the problem is. I just wanted to see, if any of you got similar or same issue with your notebook, what did you do, and can you give me some advice on what to do about it?

Thank you in advance, happy gaming to you all! :)

QC_Desired
03-23-2014, 03:29 AM
Try reconnecting the power cable that connects to the power supply brick. Sometimes those types of connectors can be a bit flakey if the cable is not completely inserted.

Darnassus
03-23-2014, 04:47 AM
As far as I'm aware it's not a good idea to use this specific... "laptop" without the battery in the back.

The charger as I'm so far familiar with it (I'm on a JX) isn't so great. I believe it's not earthed properly and isn't reliable. Sometimes my unit doesn't charge when it's plugged in and I'm using it until I turn it off or do something less demanding.

With any other laptop, I'd take the battery out, but with a G750, I think it uses both the battery and the charger at times when doing heavy operations.

This is my insight and theory, I'm not 100% sure, but I've kept my battery in and never had such problems. By the way, the battery life should be finer than most, as it doesn't get hot around that region unlike other laptop units.

hmscott
03-23-2014, 04:55 AM
As far as I'm aware it's not a good idea to use this specific... "laptop" without the battery in the back.

The charger as I'm so far familiar with it (I'm on a JX) isn't so great. I believe it's not earthed properly and isn't reliable. Sometimes my unit doesn't charge when it's plugged in and I'm using it until I turn it off or do something less demanding.

With any other laptop, I'd take the battery out, but with a G750, I think it uses both the battery and the charger at times when doing heavy operations.

This is my insight and theory, I'm not 100% sure, but I've kept my battery in and never had such problems. By the way, the battery life should be finer than most, as it doesn't get hot around that region unlike other laptop units.

Darnassus, if you don't think your power adapter is earthed well, you should ask for a replacement from Asus. They seem to have had a bad batch of them with some people noting faulty charging and flaky touchpad action while plugged in. If you have that problem, get a replacement asap, as it could get worse over time.

You might consider buying a 2nd power adapter, to see if the same thing happens with another unit. If it is the same, it might be that your power strip, or outlet, isn't grounded properly - not that unusual - but also dangerous.

Aluminum wiring is known to go bad over time, and the ground wire failure goes unnoticed - if it was a hot lead the power going out would clue you in quickly to the failure, but a flaky ground has typically unnoticed symptoms.

You can get a device to plug in to your outlets from OSH, Home Depot, etc that has an easy to read diagnostic readout that will tell you if you have a good circuit / ground.

Besides, keeping a 2nd $90 adapter around as a backup should your only power source fail, makes sense when you look at your useless $3500 computer sitting there without power - like I had happen - once :)

A 2nd battery isn't a bad idea either...here is a link to all the G750 model accessories:
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=g750&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

Darnassus
03-23-2014, 05:37 AM
I'm confident in mine, it does it's job as far as I can tell. I just would rather get a replacement of the battery charger without having to send mine away first. It's absolutely silly how they do that.

hmscott
03-23-2014, 05:40 AM
I'm confident in mine, it does it's job as far as I can tell. I just would rather get a replacement of the battery charger without having to send mine away first. It's absolutely silly how they do that.

If you secure the cost of the replacement adapter with a credit card, Asus will cross ship the replacement ahead of the return, not optimal as they put a hold on your card for the cost, but when you return the faulty one and they receive it, they will release the hold on the funds.

Darnassus
03-23-2014, 05:55 AM
If you secure the cost of the replacement adapter with a credit card, Asus will cross ship the replacement ahead of the return, not optimal as they put a hold on your card for the cost, but when you return the faulty one and they receive it, they will release the hold on the funds.

Hmm, excellent. I might keep that in mind. Also I noticed the part where "my unit doesn't charge" was because it was above 95%, I forgot how it 'turns off' charging at a specific point for the battery's health.

Still, the part where the palmrest deck seems to somehow carry a current is annoying.. which makes using the touch pad annoying. Though not 100% certain, I need to grab myself a volt meter and test the deck properly for a read..

Darnassus
03-23-2014, 05:57 AM
Selturus are you still encountering problems? Has any suggestions helped? Just checking up, this is after all a conversation of electricity and possibly your health

Also, if you live in a dusty environment or (forgive me) operate with unclean hands. ;d your charging terminal may be dirty? You could give it a clean with pipe cleaner and a non conductive cleaning solution if it's not a wire related issue.

hmscott
03-23-2014, 05:59 AM
Hmm, excellent. I might keep that in mind. Also I noticed the part where "my unit doesn't charge" was because it was above 95%, I forgot how it 'turns off' charging at a specific point for the battery's health.

Still, the part where the palmrest deck seems to somehow carry a current is annoying.. which makes using the touch pad annoying. Though not 100% certain, I need to grab myself a volt meter and test the deck properly for a read..

The power return to ground isn't working, you shouldn't get a shock from the deck, although fun, it can cause problems in the future. I used to carry around a small incandescent light to demonstrate to people the reality of the current leaking - seeing the light put across the idea nicely.

In JR High, our club had a Hallicrafters Receiver that had *alot* of voltage leakage between the chassis and the front panel - it was isolated from the chassis - and you could put *large* capacitors leads across the chassis and panel to charge them up to lethal levels - touching the leads to a pole outside the Ham Shack made a sound like a gun going off :)

Fun with Science and Electricity - nothing like it.

All fun aside, someone can get hurt with a bad power situation. Bad appliances are usually the first clue that there is something wrong with the power circuit in a house. It is nice to try different locations / power circuits to see if the same problem happens anywhere you plug in, or only certain places.

Or, it could just be a crappy appliance, or power supply :)

hmscott
03-23-2014, 06:18 AM
Hello, I recently bought my G750JH, 1 month ago to be precise, and in the beginning I had no problems with it whatsoever. But in recent days, I encountered severe problems with power supply. My friend gave me advice that, when I'm home to remove my battery from notebook and connect it directly with cable in order to extend my battery life. After few days, I got sudden problems, my notebook would randomly switch off during work/gaming. It gave me quite a lot of trouble to be honest. Then, in order to stop that from happening, I started using battery/charger connection. While playing games or something else, I'd see that charger is losing connection with notebook for few seconds, then after I literally touch the place where charger is connected, it would get contact back. I reported the issue with ASUS support tech here, they will see what the problem is. I just wanted to see, if any of you got similar or same issue with your notebook, what did you do, and can you give me some advice on what to do about it?

Selturus, good thing you removed the battery, so you could find the flaky Power Adapter :)

It is ok to run without the battery on the G750, but it isn't necessary. On some laptops, like the high end MSIs. they use power from the battery along with the AC power adapter to get more performance, but the G750 doesn't do that.

If it isn't loose cables, the wall to adapter, adapter to laptop, then it is likely just a bad adapter. There have been a few reported here - some had friends with a G750 and when they swapped in the known good power adapter the power drops stopped for them. So if you have a place to get a good G750 power adapter to swap in and try to see if that fixes the power problems, that is the first thing I would try.

Let us know how it works out for you!

Sorry about the tangents... it is a bit on topic, and if you found the advice to have a 2nd backup power adapter and battery on hand should the primary go bad, that is for you too :)

Selturus
03-23-2014, 08:48 PM
First of all, thank you all for suggestions and your answers. Sadly, I don't think the problem is with power outlet, since I've tried on several, and it happened on all! So, my guessing is, it's either the adapter that is causing problems, or maybe the needle that goes into the laptop (I've read lot of people had issues with those) Anyways, specific part where it happened three times in a row was when I was configuring graphics for Splinter Cell Conviction, when I put it on 16x anti-aliasing and do "apply" power goes off?! But, when I insert battery and do it, I just get reduced brightness (I use 80% brightness when on battery), so I'm guessing it switches to battery power, then after few seconds, I get full power connection back. That was the part laptop shuts down if no battery is inserted. On Monday, that is tomorrow, courier service should pick it up, take it to ASUS support center where they'll do the checkup and see, hopefully fix, what ever the problem might be! (Since I still have the warranty, I'd rather give it to them) Once more, thank you all!

hmscott
03-23-2014, 09:27 PM
First of all, thank you all for suggestions and your answers. Sadly, I don't think the problem is with power outlet, since I've tried on several, and it happened on all! So, my guessing is, it's either the adapter that is causing problems, or maybe the needle that goes into the laptop (I've read lot of people had issues with those) Anyways, specific part where it happened three times in a row was when I was configuring graphics for Splinter Cell Conviction, when I put it on 16x anti-aliasing and do "apply" power goes off?! But, when I insert battery and do it, I just get reduced brightness (I use 80% brightness when on battery), so I'm guessing it switches to battery power, then after few seconds, I get full power connection back. That was the part laptop shuts down if no battery is inserted. On Monday, that is tomorrow, courier service should pick it up, take it to ASUS support center where they'll do the checkup and see, hopefully fix, what ever the problem might be! (Since I still have the warranty, I'd rather give it to them) Once more, thank you all!

Selturus, are you sending just the power supply, or both the power supply and computer? It looks like it is the power supply not putting out enough current -- if you have someone nearby that has a G750 power supply you could save yourself some time without the computer and determine the source of the problem yourself before sending in the bad component.

And, if you find it is the power adapter, ask Asus to ship a replacement first, and return your bad when when the new one arrives - after you make sure the new one works! :)

Finessing the order of events might prevent you from being without a computer for a few days, or longer.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out :)

Did you see this thread?:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45450-Kernel-Power-Event-41-Task-63-Random-shutdown-G750JX&p=386535&viewfull=1#post386535

Did you check the system event logs to see if you have a system error logged at the power fail event?

Doublenn
03-23-2014, 11:33 PM
Could the bad grounds in the bricks be related to the apparent ground issues with the touchpads? If it is just a brick swap to fix that issue I'll be much relieved instead of sending my whole kit in for warranty. I haven't noticed power supply problems but touchpad ground issues seem typical. Anyone with both issues? Anyone with resolved touchpad issues once the brick was replaced?

hmscott
03-24-2014, 12:25 AM
Could the bad grounds in the bricks be related to the apparent ground issues with the touchpads? If it is just a brick swap to fix that issue I'll be much relieved instead of sending my whole kit in for warranty. I haven't noticed power supply problems but touchpad ground issues seem typical. Anyone with both issues? Anyone with resolved touchpad issues once the brick was replaced?

That is what I think too Doublenn, and just so you know it is possible, both the power adapter that came with my G750JH and the one I bought from the Asus US eStore have good grounds, and don't cause a jumpy trackpad.

Here is where I bought the 2nd adapter:
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6517

Doublenn
03-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Thanks! I'll check it out, wish me luck.

Selturus
03-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Hello guys, just wanted to inform you that the problem with my asus g750jh was the POWER BOARD. Just called to check on the progress and did they discover anything wrong with it, they told me it is on waiting, that new power board is ordered from abroad. Service should last for another 7 days, so im hoping that Ill get it back next wednesday! Ill keep you all updated if anything else comes up!

hmscott
03-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Hello guys, just wanted to inform you that the problem with my asus g750jh was the POWER BOARD. Just called to check on the progress and did they discover anything wrong with it, they told me it is on waiting, that new power board is ordered from abroad. Service should last for another 7 days, so im hoping that Ill get it back next wednesday! Ill keep you all updated if anything else comes up!

Thanks for reporting back Selturus, good to know it was an easy / quick fix :)

Doublenn
04-02-2014, 07:14 AM
I just sorted out a ground fault issue with my G750. Symptom was a glitching touchpad. My system had no issues, however I did discover a much more serious problem with my house wiring, and the whole building isn't grounded. Glad to know that the computer is working ok, but worried that the ground fault has or could damage it. Also, ASUS support seemed oblivious to this problem/symptom or how to troubleshoot it. Thankfully ASUS customers are better informed. Thanks guys!

hmscott
04-03-2014, 12:04 PM
I just sorted out a ground fault issue with my G750. Symptom was a glitching touchpad. My system had no issues, however I did discover a much more serious problem with my house wiring, and the whole building isn't grounded. Glad to know that the computer is working ok, but worried that the ground fault has or could damage it. Also, ASUS support seemed oblivious to this problem/symptom or how to troubleshoot it. Thankfully ASUS customers are better informed. Thanks guys!

Cool :)

It is a prevalent problem, and most people don't notice it, until it causes a problem like this.

As a HAM since my early years, I have worked to reduce interference / static / ground loops many times, and have pounded in many ground rods salted and soaked for weeks ahead to get a good ground - makes a big difference.

You are probably fine on the damage thought, there isn't a path drawn through critical parts, just the case / touchpad differential.

There are lots of good articles on bringing in a ground, google is your friend, and you may find a local electrician that can install the ground rods and wiring to bring things up to specification - and solve the leakage problem.

Let us know how it works out for you :)

Selturus
04-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Hey everyone, seems like my post still lives, so thought of giving more info on me. My laptop is still on service, 12 days now, power board seems to be coming from peter pan's neverland or something :) I wrote a letter of complaint, since its my right as a customer, especially if the reason is malfunction after just one month. Anyways, after that complaint, I finally got an answer with some info that it will be returned to me until monday. Gonna keep you updated if everything works ok later on!

QC_Desired
04-04-2014, 04:58 AM
12 days is a long time if it's a simple Power Supply/AC Adapter swap...

Just to clarify, is the POWER BOARD the board inside of the Power Supply/AC adapter brick, or the MOTHERBOARD?

Selturus
04-04-2014, 08:58 AM
One of the reasons I am not satisfied with theit service, nobody cared to explain me about the problem, only answer I was getting was that power board is to be delivered from abroad. I did some checking on power board, and it seems to be the part that is connecting mother board with power adapted (that little hole where you plug adapter into is part of power board)

Selturus
04-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Again, I came to give you all a quick update on my situation! Today is the 15th day of waiting, and when I called and asked what is the repair status regarding my laptop, I got the info that part that was delivered is INCOMPLETE, and that they ordered a new part, which means another week or so pf waiting for delivery. I am slowly starting to lose my patience with the whole situation and how unprofessional they are.. Ill give them few more days to fix this "difficult" problem, then ill ask for a full refund.. Hope you all enjoy yours, and have no problems! :) p.s I wanted to buy new ROG smartphone to match the laptop, but after this, no way..

tgeryk
05-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Have completely same issue after some two months. And i'm afraid that this power supply will be underestimated.

Bruno2284
05-20-2014, 06:40 PM
any updates to this ?

tgeryk
06-09-2014, 03:17 PM
In my case service identified as troubles source defective power supply. But to be honest i don't believe to that, because i already tested run laptop with other power supply and only think that has changed was occurence. Charger could be affected too, but i believe that there will be one more root cause - with high probability inside laptop.

tgeryk
06-11-2014, 05:35 AM
One more update to my case. Had a discussion with service yesterday and they informed me that they also preventive replaced whole motherboard and power board too to avoid possible issues in future. I smell that they already faced same issue on this laptop. I hope this replacement will end it otherwise this will be last ASUS product i bought.

Bruno2284
06-25-2014, 11:13 PM
Well I really hoped that I would not have any more issues... But it seems that ASUS ROG really don't care about their customers anymore. AC Adapter die when my son was born in the hospital, had to wait till I got home to open RMA to get new AC Adapter only to find out that they won't send me one right away until I send mine and they receive it and process it..... I give up, Will get new AC adapter and sell the laptop and I will NEVER buy another
ROG laptop until they change their business model. It seems they got too big for their own good and forgot the reason why they become popular in the first place....

mike9055
09-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Hello, i have the exact same problem with my ROG G750JH

I already tried the following:
- changed AC adapter (my mother has the same laptop)
- had the adapter replaced from ASUS Store with one from G751JY, it's the same
- tried several drivers

I'm convinced it's something inside the laptop, it used to happen when i was heavy gaming, but now it happens even using windows

The screen fades out like it does when i plug in/out the ac adapter, and if i'm gaming the fram rate drops, i think because the graphic card goes on battery mode and reduces its performance...

How did it work out for you? How long did you wait for the repair?

Do you think i should try downgrading BIOS? I'm on 206, but i see some stuff related to throttling in 205 and 204 and i think that's what's happening...

Thank you

JavierH
10-31-2015, 06:30 PM

I have the same issue and will be sending my laptop back on Monday to ASUS. Nothing I did fixed the issue. And it's getting worse all the time, I've actually depleted the battery while gaming.

thecosmicboy
09-24-2017, 12:14 AM
I have the same issue and will be sending my laptop back on Monday to ASUS. Nothing I did fixed the issue. And it's getting worse all the time, I've actually depleted the battery while gaming.

Any solution to these problems? I'm having the exact same issues. This jh is a real pain in the ass, I'm trying to use it for development at work and it constantly fails to recieve power from the adapter at random times when the GPU is under load. I've tried everything, opened it up, checked the boards, tried different adapters, changed bios, drivers, the battery is currently dead and it won't turn on, it has stopped recognising the ac adapter completely.
This has happened before, then it will randomly decide to work again after some time, resetting the cmos, jumping the bios, nothing works, plus you can't do most of these tasks because they require ac power to the laptop.

I've also had to replace the lcd cable because it became frayed after a year (terrible design), and in the middle of all of these power issues the lcd screen decided to crap out which I have also had to replace.

The inside of the laptop is spotless, no trauma, no scorch marks, no dirt, good connections. Fed up is not the word, I bought this piece of crap for work and it has just endlessly failed on me, it's disappointing because it's a really great laptop when it's functioning properly.

seagle7
05-31-2019, 12:09 PM
Hello

I am late on this, but my cousin has encountered the same issue with is G750jh, and I have looked it up the net, it seems to be coming from the charger/power supply port on the laptop which is badly soldered; people seem to say replacing it correct the issue, have anybody tried it here ?

rgds

fcsoares43
05-31-2019, 01:11 PM
Hello

I am late on this, but my cousin has encountered the same issue with is G750jh, and I have looked it up the net, it seems to be coming from the charger/power supply port on the laptop which is badly soldered; people seem to say replacing it correct the issue, have anybody tried it here ?

rgds
Hello this is a Asus problem they know the solution and is using a ac adapter more strong, recently some models are using power adapters undervolting or ampering voltering many solution come across change the power adapter for one with same voltage but more amperage, this is happen in this model in gl504g, in gl703g, in gl704g. in gl03g in gl502, so if tou got some power brick more power full, try and after put here the result