PDA

View Full Version : How to Speed Up Your G73 laptop

Orange
03-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Good morning. I have a G73Jh with an i7 x920, 8 GB 1333Mhz RAM, and an AMD Radeon HD5870. A couple months ago I was looking around the device manager and discovered all the Intel devices in the System Devices area were running Microsoft drivers from 2006, along with the Intel USB drivers. I thought I'd installed the chipset drivers for the system, but maybe I hadn't, so I ran the chipset drivers after downloading them from Asus. No go.

Being the adventurous sort, I downloaded Intel's latest chipset drivers and tried to install them via the setup file. Again, no go. After a few reboots and other errata, I finally read the README file (I know, I know, RTFM) and it said that if installing the drivers after the OS is in place, the drivers must be updated manually.

OK, I went to the Device Manager, pointed the Intel devices with old drivers at the file location, and *poof* the drivers installed. Boot times went down drastically.

When I played with that in January I was running Win7 x64 Ultimate. I got to a logon prompt in 30 seconds instead of about a minute. In March I discovered at least one of the drives in the computer was having random failures, so I replaced both of them with a pair of HGST HTS721010A9E630. Now I'm running Win 8.1 x64 Ultimate and get to a logon prompt in 20 seconds. I attribute the decrease from 30 to 20 to the hard drives, but the chipset drivers are responsible for at least 30 seconds off the time it takes to get to a logon prompt.

I often get a chance to touch other systems and I had the opportunity to try this out on a Dell T3400, a dual core machine. The person runs a lot of very large Outlook add-ins. Loading Outlook after the system has booted, the person has logged in, and the drives are essentially idle took 2.5 minutes. After installing the drivers it took 42 seconds.

On another system, A dell Precision M6400 laptop using Intel drivers from 2011, boot times went from over 2 minutes (I stopped counting at 140 and just waited) to 65 seconds.

Regarding stability, I've had no issues on any of the systems.

To get the drivers:

Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx
Select Software Products
Select Chipset Software
Select Chipset Software Installation Utility

To use the drivers:

From a command line prompt, type "setupchipset.exe -extract c:\intelchipsetdrivers" and press Enter
Open the Device Manager (if you don't know how to do this you should not be doing this), go through every category, and attempt to update any Intel device. It turns out there are more than what's in the System Devices area. Do not reboot the computer when prompted, no matter how many times it prompts you
Reboot the computer

Good luck. My system FLIES now. Remember, if you have ANY issues with these drivers, boot into Safe Mode and roll them back.