PDA

View Full Version : Patriot Pyro woes w/ G74SX

adymitruk
09-30-2011, 10:41 AM
So I found the SSD makers site and a forum similar to this.. There seems to be some issues with the firmware that result in BSODs. A fix is around the corner.

However when things are working, I'm only getting ~200MB/s read where it's supposed to be over 500MB/s.

I later read that one has to prepare a drive AHCI (or whatever that is) if it's going to be the boot drive. I haven't seen any information on that. I run CyberDiskInfo and it shows that it's on.

Has anyone else had issues with this or other SSD drives as OS drives? I'm not feeling I got my money's worth.

Cheers,

Adam

dstrakele
10-02-2011, 02:19 PM
The Patriot Pyro supports SATA3. Unfortunately, the G74SX only goes up to SATA2. The SSD will work with SATA2, but you will not achieve its rated performance when used with SATA3.

10/3/2011 CORRECTION: My post above is incorrect with regards to the G74SX supporting only SATA 2. My apologies for this misinformation. Please see Chastity's message below.

Chastity@ASUS
10-02-2011, 05:35 PM
The Patriot Pyro supports SATA3. Unfortunately, the G74SX only goes up to SATA2. The SSD will work with SATA2, but you will not achieve its rated performance when used with SATA3.

The G74SX supports SATA 3 on the 2 HDD bays, and SATA 2 on the ODD.

I would experiment with the MS AHCI driver vs Intel's to see which provides better performance. Both support TRIM.

adymitruk
10-03-2011, 07:43 PM
I've upgraded to version 3.3.0 of the firmware (it's not officially out yet). After upgrading, I immediately tried hibernation and unfortunately got the BSOD. I'm not sure if I needed to do a reboot to make sure everything was in place. Since then I hibernated once and there was no issue. If I see anymore BSOD, I'll update this thread.

adymitruk
10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Just tried another hibernate and it worked fine. Lesson here is to do a power cycle after upgrading the firmware of your SSD. I think all my laptop issues are resolved!

Hopefully this will help someone else...