PDA

View Full Version : How to install clean windows 7 on new SSD disk

szarawata
09-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Hello forums!

I've just bought g74sx. I have Windows 7 OEM preinstaled on magnetic HDD (750GB) and I would like to install a fresh / clean version on my SSD. SSD disk is already built in the unit so when I log in into Windows, I can see that there are 2 disks, 4 partitions OS (C), DATA(D), OS(E) and DATA(F).

BTW its strange that I have 2 OS partitions, dunno really why they set up it like that...

What I would like to accomplish is to install OS on SSD disk, and have partitioned ( 2 partitions) magnetic HDD for storage purposes.

I have a recently downloaded Windows 7 retail trial DVD which I was told can be used to install OS but I really don't wanna mess up my laptop and need your help with that... Should I treat this case as a regular Windows 7 instalation process?, using ESC at boot up and setting OS DVD to boot up and so forth ?

Is there any step by step solution to my problem ?

szarawata

xeromist
09-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Yes, you can do a normal install. Just make sure that when you do the installation you choose the blank drive. Also you may need to go into the BIOS and choose which drive is going to be the first one to boot in the order. If you are really worried you could remove the HDD during the install. So that your only option is the SSD.

Six Foot Ginger
09-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the info

szarawata
09-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks for your reply !

Ok I went to BIOS and under the BOOT options theres already my SSD being first on the list :)

And since I have apparently two "OS" partitions, will I be able to erase them and create a new one while booting from DVD?

xeromist
09-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Yes, when you boot the Windows 7 installation and it asks you to choose the drive for installation there is an option on the lower right of the screen for advanced or partitions or something. You can use that to delete the partitioning and start with a clean drive if you'd like.

szarawata
09-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Thank you, now I'm more confident and I'm getting to work! :)

cheers

Icemanforlife
09-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Once you are done please let me know how it turns out. I want to do this to my G73SW once i get in the mail. Also if you have to install alot of stuff like drivers, software, etc... Also please post if you run into any bugs. Thanks

szarawata
09-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Sure, with pleasure :)

Icemanforlife
09-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Sure, with pleasure :)

Thank you

grungeboy2
09-30-2011, 06:43 PM
all the big companies do the two partition thing. been doing it for probably a decade or more. they put the restore software (which doesn't always work like it's supposed to) on the small partition.

advice from me: once you get everything installed and set up, get rid of the factory restore partition and make your own. basically mine contains the win7 DVD and the drivers for my laptop.

szarawata
09-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the tip!
Maybe it's a good idea to clone the whole system afterwards on some external HDD drive or a DVD? so that I won't garbage my SSD...since every 1GB is precious here.

grungeboy2
09-30-2011, 08:04 PM
that's never a bad idea. i recommend doing the recovery part on your mechanical drive, since SSD space is a premium. also if that drive went bad or something, the software you'd need would be on the other hard drive.

szarawata
10-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Alright, the installation of Windows 7 went quite smoothly, than I begun to install drivers from DVD ( unchecked FLASHBIOS and LiveUpdate, VGA driver and antivirus) and the installation started.

I had only one problem really, while installing Blutooth drivers, the DVD started to behave strangely I mean it was roaring and scratching inside the bay and the drivers just wouldn't install.. So I omitted this one and continue. After everything has been installed, I've found the Bluetooth drivers on the DVD folder and installed it manually with no problems. I've also downloaded NVIDIA drivers from the manufacturer's site and installed them with no probs whatsoever :)

As it turns out, the SSD speeds are quite different from these that i've found on thessdreview.com

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/...-is-on-fire/3/

I'm not even close to ~500 MB/s Write speeds with my Corsair FORCE GT which makes me a little anxious :/

Compressible data with Crystal bench:

Seq Read: 469 MB/s
Seq Write: 452 MB/s

512k Read: 410 MB/s
512k Write 407 MB/s

4K R: 27 MB/s
4k W: 40 MB/s

4K QD32 R: 118 MB/s
4k QD32 W: 275 MB/s

AS SSD Benchmark:

Seq R: 483 MB/s
Seq W: 153 MB/s

total score: 462

HD Tune pro bench:

I find it really disturbing because what i get is:

Read:
Minimum 182 MB/s
Max 310 MB/s
Av: 259 MB/s

Access time: 0.2 ms
burst: 163 MB/s

Random Acccess bench:

1MB strensfer size: 438 MB/s
Random transfer size: 396 MB/s

File Benchmark: not bad, almost 500 MB/s read and 460 MB/s write.

Tweaking the system with SSD tweaker ver 1.7 didn't really change a thing.

dstrakele
10-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I suspect the higher reported benchmark is wih SATA III. The G74SX supports SATA II, so there will be a performance hit.

10/3/2011 CORRECTION: The post above is incorrect. The G74SX does indeed support SATA 3. My apologies for the misinformation.

szarawata
10-01-2011, 03:23 PM
All Sandy Bridge chipsets support SATA III...

plus, I've run another bench, using ATTO and it shows right numbers so I'm kinda confused here ;)

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/5077/atto.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/atto.jpg/)

Icemanforlife
10-01-2011, 06:20 PM
What type of sata connection does the motherboard have on this laptop because that will effect the speeds that data is able to transfer at? I myself am wondering if it is a SATA revision 3.0 (SATA 6 Gbit/s) or SATA revision 2.0 (SATA 3 Gbit/s).

Chastity@ASUS
10-02-2011, 04:36 PM
The G74SX supports SATA III, however the C-States of notebooks will cause a small performance hit, as they are more aggressive is power saving, even in High Performance mode.

You can test this using ThrottleStop and disabling all C-STates.