PDA

View Full Version : G74SX screen issue

Naits
09-30-2011, 08:51 PM
My screen struggle's to transtion the different tone's of black. So every picture, menu and game which got "transitions" from bright to dark vise versa just look horrible.. Like instead of a smooth transition, i can see the lines of different graytones within the transition .. wow this is hard to explain :S but i hope you get the idea and can try and help me sort this out :S

Edit: Here's a picture of the issue I'm having, and no, this picture did not look like this a week ago: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36972650/DSC01342.JPG

dstrakele
10-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure if this is configuration or display driver related.

Right click on your display and choose "Screen Resolution" from the popup menu. Then click on "Advanced Settings" in the resulting Dialog. In the Monitor tab of Generic PnP and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M Properties, confirm "True Color (32-bit)". In the Color Management tab, click the "Color Management" button to bring up the "Color Management" Dialog. Select the Advanced tab. Are you currently running the system default settings for all items?

Here is a link that offers other suggestions about this problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/poor-graphics-display-ati-radeon-hd4850-windows-7/a8aa7f19-4107-4e7a-8fe3-83f4a99f2d2d

Naits
10-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Yes, they're all default. I did all the other things you suggested too, but the problem is still there :/ Also, I have a Nvidia card, not AMD. I'm going to try do downgrade graphic driver now

grungeboy2
10-01-2011, 05:33 PM
if that's a driver issue, then it's one i've never seen.

what driver are you using?

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 05:44 PM
That might be a color management thing, for sure. I'm into digital photography and I know exactly what he's talking about. It could also be whatever app he's using to look at these images/vids. But I don't think it's the screen itself.

@Naits - what are you looking at and what app are you using when you see these artifacts? Have you looked at a shades of gray chart like this one http://sunedonath.de/misc/shades_of_gray.png

Naits
10-01-2011, 05:57 PM
My card: GTX 560M. I've literally tried every nvida driver compatible with my graphic card now.. Right now, I'm using the driver nvidia just released to increase performance on Battlefield 3 Beta. @JRd1st: The pictures on my desktop, the background picture for google search in google chrome (which is a black screen with a ROG symbol on the right side which is bright, so i can clearly see the different gradients of black, instead of a smooth transition) And this is really wierd: I looked at the gray chart you linked, and there it is really smooth!

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I looked at the gray chart you linked, and there it is really smooth!

That proves it isn't the screen, at least. And I think you can stop messing with nVidia drivers. It isn't that.

I'm using an external monitor, right now. Let me switch and see what I can find. . . .

dstrakele
10-01-2011, 06:13 PM
I believe the issue occurs ONLY on transitions from one image to another, JRd1st. Is that correct, Naits? The fact it occurs on Desktop wallpaper transitions indicates it is not associated with a specific program. I wonder if it is some sort of Aero issue?

Do you still get Aero "glass" (i.e. transparent taskbar) when you experience this issue? Alternatively you may have entered hyperspace through a wormhole and are observing display updates that are taking place in milliseconds... ;>{)>

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I believe the issue occurs ONLY on transitions from one image to another, JRd1st. Is that correct, Naits? The fact it occurs on Desktop wallpaper transitions indicates it is not associated with a specific program. I wonder if it is some sort of Aero issue?
He says it's in the transition between different tones of black in his OP.

@Naits - in ControlPanel >> Color Management >> Advanced what are your Device Profile and Viewing Conditions Profile?

Naits
10-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I think you misunderstood. It's not in the transition between two pictures. If I look at my background pictures in windows photo-thingy, I can still see the un-smooth transition from white to black, like lines of the different colortones instead of a smooth transition.

Anyways, I really appriciate you guys helping me :) @JRd1st: my answer in the next page :)

Naits
10-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Device: Generic PnP screen - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

Profile: sRBG display profile with display hardware config data derived from calibration (standar) Name: CalibratedDisplayProfile-1.icc

Is this what you mean? :)

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 06:33 PM
You did that Color Calibration thing? Personally, I think that causes more problems than is solves. lol

For Device profile try sRGB IEC61966-2.1 , and for viewing conditions try (WCS profile for sRGB viewing conditions)

Naits
10-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Device profile: Systemstandard (sRBG IEC61966-2.1)
Viewing conditions profile: Systemstandard (WCS-profil for sRBG-viewing conditions)

Naits
10-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Yeah, they're already set to that..

dstrakele
10-01-2011, 06:49 PM
I think you misunderstood. It's not in the transition between two pictures. If I look at my background pictures in windows photo-thingy, I can still see the un-smooth transition from white to black, like lines of the different colortones instead of a smooth transition.

Okay - let's get more specific. What is the exact name of the "windows photo-thingy"? What is the name in the Titlebar of the window? Is it Windows Photo Viewer?

Please also confirm if this issue is specific to this program.

Also confirm if the image JRd1st referenced is also viewed through this app and does NOT have this issue.

Naits
10-01-2011, 06:52 PM
yes, its that one :) and the issue is not specific to this program.. unfortunately.. it's like this on steam too, like in the liberary the bottom is dark and the top is brighter, and it just looks choppy and ugly

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Is sRBG IEC61966-2.1 set as your system default? If this isn't it, I give up. Color profiles are the only thing I can think of that would do this except on something other than a photo, and Steam ain't a photo. ARGH . . .

Naits
10-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Well you did your best :) Seems like all Asus representatives are on vacation these days :( I'm about this | | far from RMA'ing this laptop.. this isn't the first issue I've had to put it that way -.-

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm sure someone asked you this already, but in nVidia Control Panel, under "Change Resolution" you have "Highest (32 bit)" selected in color depth, right?

Naits
10-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Yeah, it's on 32 bit

dstrakele
10-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Your resolution is 1920 by 1080 - correct?

Are you using an Aero or High Contrast Theme? Did you Personalize it in any way?

Have you made any changes through the "Ease of Access Center"?

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Well, I have the same laptop as you and I have no problems. I did a clean install of Win7 and that cured every problem I noticed when I first turned my new laptop on. (I'm beginning to sound like a broken record with the clean install thing, I know...)

dstrakele
10-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Well you did your best :) Seems like all Asus representatives are on vacation these days :( I'm about this | | far from RMA'ing this laptop.. this isn't the first issue I've had to put it that way -.-

I don't think you'll see any ASUS Reps on the weekend.

dstrakele
10-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Well, I have the same laptop as you and I have no problems. I did a clean install of Win7 and that cured every problem I noticed when I first turned my new laptop on. (I'm beginning to sound like a broken record with the clean install thing, I know...)

And I've backrevved my system to Windows 3.1 and I can't reproduce your issue either! ;)

Seriously - I have a bone stock G74SX-A1 and I'm afraid to try to change it to reproduce your issue because I might not be able to find my way back....

dstrakele
10-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Does Windows 7 recognize your display as a "Generic PnP Monitor"?

If so, what is the driver version and date?

Does it report the device is working properly?

From your description, it sounds like it is stuck in some low resolution setting.

Naits
10-01-2011, 08:28 PM
it's running on 1920x1080 (native) @ 120hz, yes, it's PnP and is working properly and i got the latest driver :S

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Oh, you have the 3de model. Hmmmmm

dstrakele
10-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Did your system come with 3D glasses? If so, how do the pictures look with them on? Perhaps your issue has something to do with 3D Vision, but I don't know enough about it to help you at this time.

Your description of the images on your monitor reminds me of how a 3D image looks without 3D glasses.

Naits
10-01-2011, 09:26 PM
shouldn't make a difference as the problem still occurs when it's on 60hz

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 09:49 PM
I believe this is one for Chastity to ponder. lol

Naits
10-01-2011, 09:58 PM
yeah, I really hope Chas sees this :S if it's a screen issue, im rma'ing it so they can fix it toghether with the loose lcdv cable

dstrakele
10-01-2011, 10:04 PM
The NVIDIA Control Panel has a "3D Settings" section where you can configure both Global and Program Settings. Don't know if this would resolve your issue but I think it is worth checking out.

From what I read, increasing Performance (Frame Rate) will result in degraded image quality. Increasing Quality results in lower Frame Rates.

Have you made any changes to these settings? Does "Restore Defaults" resolve your issue?

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 11:04 PM
yeah, I really hope Chas sees this :S if it's a screen issue, im rma'ing it so they can fix it toghether with the loose lcdv cable
You have a loose lcdv cable? I wonder if you're seeing some kind of noise. But wouldn't it be on everything then?

Can you take a photo of the screen when this phenomenon occurs and upload it here or someplace so we can see it?

Naits
10-01-2011, 11:10 PM
@dstrakele, yeah I messed around with that too, didn't do much though good though :/
@JRd1st, the two problems are not related I believe. The loose lcdv cable makes like one fourth of the screen do a white/snowy flicker once in a while. However, as this only happens like once ever two hours (and only for a split second) I wouldn't be able to take a picture :( And this started just as I got the nootebook, this new "gradient problem" occured like two-three days ago and I can't remember what I did to make it happen..

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 11:20 PM
I meant to take a pic of the gradient problem so I can see if it's what I imagine it is. :D

JRd1st
10-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Are you by any chance using Splendid?

Naits
10-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Oh yeah, sure. I can do that :) Well, I'm going to bed now, but I will do it first thing in the morning :) And no, I don't even know what Splendid is..

Naits
10-02-2011, 10:14 AM
I updated the first post with a picture, see for yourselves :)

Chastity@ASUS
10-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I've gotten some backgrounds with that issue. Usual fix is to select a new background, and then go back to it. Windows stores a separate copy, and it could have been dithered improperly.

Also, if you are serious about color, uninstall Splendid, and just use the Color Calibration Wizard. It has better results.

Naits
10-02-2011, 06:26 PM
It's not just for backgrounds though, when I took the picture which i put in the OP, i was looking at the picture in windows photo viewer.

Naits
10-02-2011, 06:34 PM
An I tried to change BG and I noticed the choppy gradient issue applies for all colors.. also, my digital vibrance resets to 50% every time i restart my laptop (i think it looks better at around 80% ) so I have to re configure it in nvidia control panel every time i turn my laptop on. Can someone just admit that my unit is the #1 most faulty one asus ever produced? -.-

JRd1st
10-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Just in case, the way to keep Windows from rerendering and saving a separate copy of a wallpaper is to just put the wallpaper into C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper then select it from Desktop >> Personalize

Naits
10-02-2011, 07:19 PM
No difference :(

Naits
10-02-2011, 09:52 PM
wow.. i feel this urge to just smash in the screen now lol

JRd1st
10-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Well, you said this happened a.few days ago after you did something and you don't remember what you did. Personally, before I smash the screen I'd do a clean install and take it slow with what I install/do afterwards. That would have taken less than the two plus days you've been going crazy. Lol

Naits
10-03-2011, 11:36 AM
I don't know how to do a clean win7 install. I googled it and I found a how to: but i would probaly mess things up even more if i attempted to to such a thing. Oh the irony in spending $ 3000 on a broken laptop! My old $ 700 laptop didnt have any issues at all, but this one is beyond broken -.-

JRd1st
10-03-2011, 12:20 PM
It's not broken. You're just frustrated. Calm down. :)

I wish I remembered all the steps exactly, I would walk you through it. But it's not that hard to do.

Since you still have the recovery partition, why don't you do a full recovery? I think it's begun by pressing f9 during POST.

Naits
10-04-2011, 12:29 PM
bump ...

grungeboy2
10-04-2011, 12:53 PM
win7 install is easy.

step 1) insert win7 disc
step 2) hit escape after turning computer on to pull up boot manager
step 3) tell it to boot from disc
step 4) follow on screen instructions, choose to format the disc and do a completely clean install (erase everything)
step 5) go make a sandwich while windows 7 installs

once that's done you need to load drivers for your laptop. get the video driver from www.nvidia.com

grab the other drivers from your driver disc or the asus support site. i've never had issues with my laptop failing to get online after a clean win7 install. either way, if you're worried about it, just download the drivers first, then burn them to a disc.

grungeboy2
10-04-2011, 12:58 PM
after rereading this thread, you need to do a clean install.

backup all your data, and look at it this way. if you do the clean install and it fixes your problem, then you're good to go. if you do a clean install and it doesn't fix your problems, then you have a hardware issue and you'll have done everything you could before sending it in.

Azzazel
10-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I've reinstalled my Win 7 with F9 restore , it fixed some of my issues except my screen, i still cannot change my brightness levels even after i installed the latest ATK pack.

Naits
10-06-2011, 10:27 PM
fun fact: My friend also has this problem, and he got a desktop and he just bought a new 120hz monitor with this problem.. but changing to 60hz doesnt fix things :S
I also tried two different monitors, three, if you count the one on the laptop! the gradients look different but still choppy, there something wrong with all

xanax95
10-07-2011, 07:37 AM
does anyone know why my resolution is maxed out at 1600x900? but on the specs it says max resolution for the g74 is 1920x1080

Naits
10-07-2011, 12:32 PM
maybe you have to one with a 1600x900 screen?

xanax95
10-07-2011, 08:52 PM
when I ordered it from TigerDirect the specs said 1920x1080 resolution

Naits
10-07-2011, 10:13 PM
bahh... noone can help me with my issue :(

dstrakele
10-07-2011, 11:43 PM
bahh... noone can help me with my issue :(

You've got an unusual one, Naits. I recommend you PM Chastity@ASUS and ask her to please review this thread.

JRd1st
10-07-2011, 11:49 PM
I think what he has, from what he's said, is a moire pattern. HD monitors usually have a control to get rid of that, from what I've read, but I don't think there's anything on a laptop.

Naits
10-08-2011, 12:40 AM
when i started looking for it.. i now see that the choppyness is all over the place; while watching videoes, playing games etc.. Chastity replied once to this thread, however I think this issue scared her away, because even though this thread has 50+ replies the problem is yet to be solved and no other Asus employee have replied eighter :( It has to be eighter a hardware issue or software.. because it happens on all other screens i hook up to it aswell! :S

Naits
10-08-2011, 12:42 AM
and it seems like they dont give a ****, as they're active on the forums but wont pay any attention to this problem ... **** me :(

Naits
10-09-2011, 01:20 AM
okay, so can one of the asus representatives on here give me a referral as to where i can post this problem? I now understand you've never faced this problem before and don't know how to help me :( so where could i get help?

JRd1st
10-09-2011, 01:22 AM
Did you try here - http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/ ?

dstrakele
10-09-2011, 02:27 AM
Alternatively, just send it in. You said you needed to return it for a loose LCDV cable. ASUS will fix it or replace it and you won't have to spend any more time troubleshooting the problem.

Naits
10-09-2011, 11:38 AM
thanks guys :)

JRd1st
10-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Did you see the PSOD problems they have threads about over at notebookreview?

Naits
10-09-2011, 05:46 PM
ill check em out :)

Naits
10-11-2011, 03:02 PM
meh :/ noone seems to be able to help me over at notebookreview eighter :(

JRd1st
10-11-2011, 04:12 PM
ROG helps those who help themselves. We've gone through every imaginable thing in our experience and we got down to the point where we advised you to either do an Asus Recovery, do a clean install of Win7 Home Premium, or send your laptop in to Asus for RMA while you can.

Naits
10-12-2011, 08:47 PM
the two first options, I don't know how to properly excecute and the last one doesn't sound so tempting as i will be without a computer for 2-3 months and it will probally come home in worse shape than it was when i left it

Chastity@ASUS
10-12-2011, 10:25 PM
when i started looking for it.. i now see that the choppyness is all over the place; while watching videoes, playing games etc.. Chastity replied once to this thread, however I think this issue scared her away, because even though this thread has 50+ replies the problem is yet to be solved and no other Asus employee have replied eighter :( It has to be eighter a hardware issue or software.. because it happens on all other screens i hook up to it aswell! :S

nothing scares me! I'm looking through this whole thread atm...

Chastity@ASUS
10-12-2011, 10:41 PM
OK, first off, let's clean up some:

Uninstall the Splendid Utility. reboot.

Right click on the desktop, select Personalize. Select the Windows Classic Theme. Then select your favorite Aero Theme. This should reset your desktop default settings, and set all the images for 32bit color.

Run the Color Calibration Wizard, and check your gradients while running it. It should all appear smooth at this point.

If all is well, enjoy your 32bit desktop. :)

OK, Pyro's laptop just came back... let's test his thermals....

Naits
10-13-2011, 02:53 PM
OK, first off, let's clean up some:

Uninstall the Splendid Utility. reboot.

Right click on the desktop, select Personalize. Select the Windows Classic Theme. Then select your favorite Aero Theme. This should reset your desktop default settings, and set all the images for 32bit color.

Run the Color Calibration Wizard, and check your gradients while running it. It should all appear smooth at this point.

If all is well, enjoy your 32bit desktop. :)

OK, Pyro's laptop just came back... let's test his thermals....
Thank you for replying! :D Unfortunately none of the above changed anything at all :( The desktop is and always has been 32bit, and with BG's with no noticable color transitions it looks fine. The easiest way to check if anything I did fixed the problem is to go into photoshop and just use the gradient tool on a new project; at the moment it looks very choppy, even after I followed your steps. I have been doing some overclocking to the graphic's card though.. could this be the problem? I used Nvidia Inspector and the clocks I apply I found on this forum, the temperatures never exceeded like 60'C.

GPU clock: 952 MHz
Memory clock: 1710 MHz

Nothing too daring.. Weird if this would mess up anything really :S

Naits
10-15-2011, 10:53 AM
any other suggestions?

Chastity@ASUS
10-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I responded on NBR, but I'll iterate here:

Your issue may be that your LCD cable is a 40-pin unit, and you need a 50pin. RMA your unit so that it can be checked and updated as neccessary.