PDA

View Full Version : Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops vs Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards

hmscott
03-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Asus has solved the confusion around the Asus GPU Tweak for the G750JW/JX/JH and the G750JS/JM/JZ by splitting up Asus GPU Tweak into 2 support / download areas.

The G750JW/JX/JH G751JT/JY (non-Optimus laptops) have the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, Version 2.7.1.8 is latest stable tested - 12-23-14, there is a newer version 2.7.9.0 - I haven't tested it yet - 2-14-15

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=ASUS%20GPU%20Tweak%20for%20Graphics%20cards&hashedid=n/a

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, currently at release v1.0.9 for the G750JS/JM/JZ G751JM and other ROG laptops with Optimus
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n%2fa

The new Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops doesn't allow overclocking as freely as the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, the Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops only allows a 5% boost.

Here is the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards on my G750JH, OC'ing well past 5% :)

senttel
03-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Hey scott, since I have already OC'ed my JW with Asus GPU tweak which now I assume should be called Tweak for Graphic cards, should I uninstall it and Overclock my gpu with the new version?

hmscott
03-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Hey scott, since I have already OC'ed my JW with Asus GPU tweak which now I assume should be called Tweak for Graphic cards, should I uninstall it and Overclock my gpu with the new version?

senttel, I usually update to the latest version when I find it, but it hasn't really done anything except update the graphics display, the same limits are there, so it won't improve performance.

What did you OC to on the JW? The GPU speed should go all the way up, 932mhz indicated and the JW I had went to 6288mhz memory.

Here is a screen shot of Asus GPU Tweak 2.4.1.0, when the GPU speed indicated the full 997mhz including Turbo Boost (932+65mhz) - one of the few updates that was significant - dropping the display of the GPU speed including Turbo Boost.

Also, the voltage setting does nothing. It shows stock voltage in GPU-Z HWinfo etc at any voltage setting.

senttel
03-28-2014, 09:45 AM
I OC'ed up to 997/5700 and so far (it has been overclocked for 4 or 5 days now) GPU did not show any signs of instability, no screen flickering or etc. Btw I undervolted my CPU down to -110vM but removed the cpu OC, because it would crash like in the next 5mins after I overclock and undervolt at the same time so I decided that I prefer cooler system over a few percent CPU boost.

Norup58
03-28-2014, 11:20 AM
#hmscott,
How do you get your '70' to stick in the Display Fresh Rate??

When I try to adjust to 70 and press 'Apply' it reverts back to 60. Using version 2.5.8.3.

hmscott
03-28-2014, 02:33 PM
#hmscott,
How do you get your '70' to stick in the Display Fresh Rate??

When I try to adjust to 70 and press 'Apply' it reverts back to 60. Using version 2.5.8.3.

You need to already have set up a Custom Resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel.

For the AUO display 70hz is the maximum refresh - it's the actual spec for the panel. The Chi Mei display will run at 100hz, some have reported running at 110hz, but my JW/JX would only be stable ta 100hz.

Once you have the setting available in the Nvidia Control Panel, you can switch it using the Asus GPU Tweak tool, but I usually use the Nvidia Control Panel to set the refresh/resolution and leave it there.

Norup58
03-28-2014, 03:28 PM
You need to already have set up a Custom Resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel.

For the AUO display 70hz is the maximum refresh - it's the actual spec for the panel. The Chi Mei display will run at 100hz, some have reported running at 110hz, but my JW/JX would only be stable ta 100hz.

Once you have the setting available in the Nvidia Control Panel, you can switch it using the Asus GPU Tweak tool, but I usually use the Nvidia Control Panel to set the refresh/resolution and leave it there.

Ok thanks - now running at 70hz via Nvidia Control Panel :)

Darnassus
03-31-2014, 01:41 PM
Still curious about the gaming mode option. When you click it, the cards voltage rises up from 837 to 850.. would that be better for my card since I've done the 135+ to Clock and upped Memory to 5200 in my own custom setting? I mean, if the chip is overclocked, wouldn't giving it that little more amount of voltage feed it the food it needs?

My current voltage is 837.

hmscott
03-31-2014, 02:26 PM
Still curious about the gaming mode option. When you click it, the cards voltage rises up from 837 to 850.. would that be better for my card since I've done the 135+ to Clock and upped Memory to 5200 in my own custom setting? I mean, if the chip is overclocked, wouldn't giving it that little more amount of voltage feed it the food it needs?
My current voltage is 837.

Gaming mode option? Where did you see that? There is no voltage control available for the JW/JX/JH

You don't always need more voltage to attain an OC. That is why undervolting while OC'ing works, often the default voltage is higher than needed.

dne0gen
07-01-2014, 10:06 PM
How exactly do you use the software on the JZ model? When I install it the only options I can turn on are GPU Clock ( MHz ) and Run GPU Fan on Full Speed. I can't mess with anything else?

BIOHAZARD9519
07-02-2014, 12:29 AM
I was probably that JS user who said 5%, it is what Asus advertises. My record observed overclock is 1002 (or possibly a higher number behind my back) clock speed. I'll try to get my laptop to do that again and post a screenshot.

hmscott
07-02-2014, 01:32 AM
I was probably that JS user who said 5%, it is what Asus advertises. My record observed overclock is 1002 (or possibly a higher number behind my back) clock speed. I'll try to get my laptop to do that again and post a screenshot.

BIOHAZARD9519, can you, or someone with a JM/JS/JZ, please help guide dne0gen through OC'ing with the new "for Laptops" fork of the Asus Tweak tool? It has a different interface...

Also, I have heard that using the MSI Afterburner gives manual control of GPU/memory clock speed, whereas the new "for Laptops" doesn't.

Can you please post screen shots of the process, that would be helpful, thanks BIOHAZARD9519! :)

Darnassus
07-02-2014, 05:33 AM
Gaming mode option? Where did you see that? There is no voltage control available for the JW/JX/JH

You don't always need more voltage to attain an OC. That is why undervolting while OC'ing works, often the default voltage is higher than needed.

Since this just got dug up and I didn't notice your reply, when you press the 'G' button (gaming mode) near the "1 2 3 4" settings, if you look at your GPU voltage, you'll find Gaming Mode increases the voltage by 13mV to a total of 850.

hmscott
07-02-2014, 05:44 AM
Since this just got dug up and I didn't notice your reply, when you press the 'G' button (gaming mode) near the "1 2 3 4" settings, if you look at your GPU voltage, you'll find Gaming Mode increases the voltage by 13mV to a total of 850.

Darnassus, cool :)

If the max GPU clock we can do is 932mhz, and it is stable there... why add voltage?, it will just run hotter... unless it also bumps up memory voltage to help the memory become stable at the edge - so it can be pushed further - were you able to get a better OC in gaming mode?

Darnassus
07-02-2014, 05:56 AM
I made my own custom GPU profile being:

Clock 932
Volt 850
Mem 5200
FRT 0
FPS 70 (also in nVidia of course)

I thought giving the 13+ mVolts that the gaming profile suggests to my own custom profile would be a good idea.

Thought the card wanted more food if I overclocked it, also to I guess keep a 'balance' since I undervolted my CPU? Just made sense to me, though I'm most likely wrong on that part..

I think I might be slightly unstable though. Minimizing some games leaves me with a grey flickering screen with a grey bar at the top. (Fix is sleeping computer then waking it, and it's all fine.) I assume I'm unstable. ;d

So I put my memory clock down to 5100 and things seem to be going well for now.

hmscott
07-02-2014, 07:47 AM
I made my own custom GPU profile being:
Clock 932
Volt 850
Mem 5200
FRT 0
FPS 70 (also in nVidia of course)
I thought giving the 13+ mVolts that the gaming profile suggests to my own custom profile would be a good idea.
Thought the card wanted more food if I overclocked it, also to I guess keep a 'balance' since I undervolted my CPU? Just made sense to me, though I'm most likely wrong on that part..
I think I might be slightly unstable though. Minimizing some games leaves me with a grey flickering screen with a grey bar at the top. (Fix is sleeping computer then waking it, and it's all fine.) I assume I'm unstable. ;d
So I put my memory clock down to 5100 and things seem to be going well for now.

Darnassus, it's a cool find, I am not familiar with the voltage bump - it is only Core GPU or also does memory voltage boost.

If with the voltage boost enabled, can you get more mhz on memory? If it has no effect then...

If you are stable at max Core GPU clock without the voltage boost, then you can leave it off.

The minimizing thing might not be memory mhz OC trouble, it just might be resync'ing at a different resolution/refresh? Some games will force the refresh back to 60hz from 100hz/70hz and that can make screen weirdness until you reset the graphics by what you do with minimize/sleep.

There is no voltage balance between the CPU/GPU, and think of it not so much as food - but instead "pressure" pushing through the electrons to do work - if they do enough work with less pressure, it is better to keep the pressure lower :)

I think on my JX I was stable in the same range, around 5250mhz - some GPU work did prefer 5200.

Thanks for the heads up on the G thing, now I wish I could test it on the JH :)

Darnassus
07-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Darnassus, it's a cool find, I am not familiar with the voltage bump - it is only Core GPU or also does memory voltage boost.

If with the voltage boost enabled, can you get more mhz on memory? If it has no effect then...

If you are stable at max Core GPU clock without the voltage boost, then you can leave it off.

The minimizing thing might not be memory mhz OC trouble, it just might be resync'ing at a different resolution/refresh? Some games will force the refresh back to 60hz from 100hz/70hz and that can make screen weirdness until you reset the graphics by what you do with minimize/sleep.

There is no voltage balance between the CPU/GPU, and think of it not so much as food - but instead "pressure" pushing through the electrons to do work - if they do enough work with less pressure, it is better to keep the pressure lower :)

I think on my JX I was stable in the same range, around 5250mhz - some GPU work did prefer 5200.

Thanks for the heads up on the G thing, now I wish I could test it on the JH :)

Welcome hon. ;d

And yes, I totally forgot about that, when the refresh rate is changed. I forgot all about it since I've left Watch Dogs for a little while since I've got constant internet back (it's my offline game) and I couldn't get it to play fullscreen properly, it'd keep going borderless window mode since yes, I had my refresh rate at 70/75Hz and the game was running at 60.

So that makes total sense.

dne0gen
07-02-2014, 08:03 PM
No word yet on how to use GPU Tweak on the JZ model?

hmscott
07-03-2014, 02:48 PM
No word yet on how to use GPU Tweak on the JZ model?

dne0gen, let's figure it out! Don't let the lack of response from the JZ guys slow you down, figure it out!

I don't have an Optimus G750, so I can't load up the same version, so you will need to step through the dialogs, and post the images, and ask questions.

I did hear that there aren't the same GPU/memory frequency boxes to set the speeds, and people that want to todo that are using both Asus Tweak tool for Laptops and MSI Afterburner 3.01beta, so install that too.

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Yea I'm not really a pro when it comes to tweaking this kind of stuff so I don't think I can do it...

hmscott
07-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Yea I'm not really a pro when it comes to tweaking this kind of stuff so I don't think I can do it...

dne0gen, if you aren't comfortable, then wait, but it isn't tough or dangerous. You are setting 2 values in a program designed to make it easy.

MSI Afterburner 3.01beta
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

You can also bring up the Asus Tweak Tool for Laptops, and take a snippet shot of it, and post it.

How to Use Windows Snipping Tool
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/snipping-tool

So, without making changes, just install and bring them up and take some screen shots, and we can run through how to set them up.

It''ll be fun :)

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Ok well here are both programs installed...

hmscott
07-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Ok well here are both programs installed...

dne0gen, looks good. We can ignore Asus Tweak tool for now, lets focus on MSI Afterburner, which is able to set OC on 340.43

You can use the Core Clock setting of +135 - all GTX780 and GTX880 can do that without additional voltage - stock.

You can type in the value or use the slider. Then Apply will be clickable, click it, then Save and 1 to save in the first Save settings slot.

You probably want to hold off on Starting with Windows... until you are happy with the OC's and want them applied at boot time like I have set.

Then we can work on the memory OC. I have mine set to +630, which reads out with GPU-Z at 6275mhz - which is what my 780m will do reliably.

Please install GPU-Z as well. :)
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2359/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-7-8-w-asus-rog-skin/

In order to get the GPU to run at full speed clocks, it needs to have work to do, so I have BIONC loaded and running SETIathome CUDA work sets.

You can likely induce it with Furmark, give that a try, or another game with a windowed mode that will allow it to run and kick up the speed of the GPU but allows you to have screen space to have GPU-Z up to see the speed - and MSI Afterburner too - so you can change, Apply the increases.

I would start with +325 for memory clock when you are ready, and go up by +50 and then +25 till your game artifacts - and then back off 25.

Enter the value in the box, or use the slider, then click Apply, then click Save and click 2 so you now have a 1 Saved setting of just the Core Clock OC, and 2 has both the Core Clock and your new memory clock value.

GPU-Z memory speed shows as 1/4 actual.

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 05:11 PM
So right now I have copied your MSI Settings just like you have shown on the screenshot. Now I should try to use FurMark?

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 05:15 PM
You know maybe we should find each other on skype/facebook/steam so it can go faster and post the final resulsts here so other people can see them

hmscott
07-03-2014, 05:19 PM
You know maybe we should find each other on skype/facebook/steam so it can go faster and post the final resulsts here so other people can see them

Not necessary, you can go from here, you are just going to bump up the memory values until you get a driver crash or image glitches, and then back down. Don't start at +630, your memory may not clock as high as mine - or may do better, but lets be conservative and start lower and work up higher.

You are almost done :)

Refresh the page and re-read my instructions, I added more info.

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 05:28 PM
So if one decides to not overclock anymore is it enough to just delete the programs?

hmscott
07-03-2014, 05:30 PM
dne0gen, you can also Save a Defaults Save as 3, then you can easily do a test benchmark run on 3, then click 2 to get the OC values and do a run to compare.

Before and after runs on benchmarks are beneficial to show the improvement, and to also give you confidence the OC is stable.

Do a few, like Furmark, Unigine Heaven, Unigine Valley, and some gaming benchmarks - like Metro (benchmark app in the game folder), and download some game benchmarks.

And play some of your favorite games with and without OC. Games that were borderline runable at High/Ultra settings should play cleanly now after OC.

Have fun :)

hmscott
07-03-2014, 05:31 PM
So if one decides to not overclock anymore is it enough to just delete the programs?

dne0gen, if you don't run the program at startup, or set the settings to defaults, that is the quick/easy way to stop OC. And yes, uninstalling will also stop the OC.

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Well after I did everything the way you have, FurMark still gives me an average of 14 fps...?

hmscott
07-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Well after I did everything the way you have, FurMark still gives me an average of 14 fps...?

dne0gen, please post an image of the results with snipping tool, it sounds like it is running on the Intel GPU...

Here are my G750JH Furmark settings, and 15 minute Burn-in test results

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 05:52 PM

WITHOUT overclocking but still I think it is far too low

hmscott
07-03-2014, 06:02 PM
WITHOUT overclocking but still I think it is far too low

Use my settings above, uncheck the checked boxes at default. The 1080 preset test is too short.

Then go into Nvidia 3D settings and set the global settings as highlighted:

Then make sure the furmark settings for those settings are correct, sorry my screen shot is for 3dmark - set that too, as you want to run that one eventually too.

I don't have an Optimus G750, so you will need to figure out how to make the furmark and other apps only run on the 880m. Right click on the app, go into the 3d settings, etc. Sorry, it sucks, but that is the way it is on the JZ.

Hang in there, we will figure this out :)

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 06:24 PM
FPS is absolutely the same ...

hmscott
07-03-2014, 06:30 PM
FPS is absolutely the same ...

dne0gen, you can't be running on the 880m, we have OC'd it and there should be an improvement.

Try other things, drop furmark for now as you are getting no where, go and do test runs on other benchmarks.

I looked back at post #39, and even though the run says the renderer is the 880m, the driver number is 10.18.10.3379 and that is an Intel driver :)

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 06:34 PM
So what else can I do I changed nvidia settings for global and program...

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 06:37 PM
When I use your settings the benchmarking programs stop responding... Shouldn't my video card be capable of even going further considering it is a newer version?

hmscott
07-03-2014, 06:38 PM
So what else can I do I changed nvidia settings for global and program...

Like I said, move on to something that actually runs on the 880m, come back to Furmark after you figure out how to make the JZ work on it, or maybe it won't work correctly on the JZ / Optimus.

The goal is to test the OC done on the 880m, not get bogged down trying to make Furmark work :)

chassy809
07-03-2014, 06:39 PM
neither version of asus gpu twaek for graphics card works with my g750jw. before had been OC's successfully, but now nothing sticks where I want... please help with this... thanks in advance

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 06:41 PM
When I use your settings the benchmarking programs stop responding... Shouldn't my video card be capable of even going further considering it is a newer version?
I tested with unigine heaven and it also stops responding when I use the MSI settings, when I reset them it works fine...

hmscott
07-03-2014, 06:41 PM
dne0gen, try a run with OC and without OC on Unigine Heaven, here are my settings / run:

Unigine Heaven
https://unigine.com/products/heaven/

hmscott
07-03-2014, 06:45 PM
I tested with unigine heaven and it also stops responding when I use the MSI settings, when I reset them it works fine...

Did you follow my suggestion to start at +325 mhz for the memory clock, or did you set it to +630?

The core clock should be fine at +135

You should reboot in between those freezes, the display driver crashed and won't run at full speed until you reboot Windows.

That might be why your Furmark runs are so slow, the Nvidia driver is limiting speed because it crashed and restarted.

Bring down the memory clock to +325, after rebooting, and try again.

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 06:46 PM
I am trying it right now. It crashes when I use it overclocked. I tired to reset my settings and only add +100 on the core clock and it crashes again... Without Overclocking it doesn't crash at least. I guess my card cant handle overclocking I dunno...

hmscott
07-03-2014, 06:48 PM
I am trying it right now. It crashes when I use it overclocked. I tired to reset my settings and only add +100 on the core clock and it crashes again... Without Overclocking it doesn't crash at least. I guess my card cant handle overclocking I dunno...

dne0gen, it might be the 340.43 driver, some have complained that it won't OC like the version(s) before for them, it works ok for my JH

You could do a Custom=>Clean Install of 337.50/337.88 or all the way back to 332.60 and then OC using that, it works :)

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 06:58 PM

WITHOUT overclocking

hmscott
07-03-2014, 07:00 PM
WITHOUT overclocking

Looks good, that's on 340.43, and the 880m is a 780m already overclocked some, I think +30 is what MSI Afterburner showed before you OC'd more.

Let's see it all on 337.88 + OC -- some were seeing BSOD's on anything after 332.60 until 340.43, so watch for that too.

Note: your run was on High settings, mine on Ultra, switch to Ultra next time for comparison. Check my settings image to set yours the same for comparison.

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 07:07 PM
First second of the benchmark and it stopped working...

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 07:08 PM

hmscott
07-03-2014, 07:12 PM

Is that with or without OC?

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 07:15 PM
With, right now I am trying the benchmark with only 100+ on core clock and nothing else. Again the display driver stopped responding and has recovered but the benchmark itself didn't close due to error, while it did before. Either way it is obviously unstable. I guess this card isn't meant to be overclocked, or not mine at least. :/

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 07:16 PM
42 FPS again on Ultra this time with that +100 core clock

hmscott
07-03-2014, 07:18 PM
With, right now I am trying the benchmark with only 100+ on core clock and nothing else. Again the display driver stopped responding and has recovered but the benchmark itself didn't close due to error, while it did before. Either way it is obviously unstable. I guess this card isn't meant to be overclocked, or not mine at least. :/

dne0gen, not necessarily, try going back to +50, I think it started at +30 default. And don't do the memory clock yet.

Also, 337.88 was a problem for some people, and they say 332.60 works well. You can download that from the JZ download area => VGA

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 07:34 PM

hmscott
07-03-2014, 07:38 PM

dne0gen, that's good, +53 - and you know +100 is a bit too much - so split the difference and try +75, and then go up or down 5 from there :)

Then you would work on the memory clock the same way. Try +300, +400, +500, +600, and then split the difference between what works/fails.

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 07:57 PM
So when does all this start to get dangerous for my PC? What is the real danger behind this and what exactly could happen to my pc as a result from this overclocking?

hmscott
07-03-2014, 08:00 PM
So when does all this start to get dangerous for my PC? What is the real danger behind this and what exactly could happen to my pc as a result from this overclocking?

dne0gen, you are protected by the over temp protection on the GPU/CPU, and it should be clear now that instability is the only limitation - you will crash the driver before damage occurs to the hardware. Stable operation, under the protection temperature, is tuned and safe :)

When you are done with the GPU, we can play with Intel XTU and set the CPU/CPU_cache multi's and you will get a little CPU boost, and even more important, find the right negative voltage offset to reduce the heat generation of the CPU and that will increase operational life :)

See, this stuff isn't tough, it is far more boring and tedious than difficult ;)

dne0gen
07-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Well no matter what I do in the MSI Afterburner, I can't reach or pass your results in unigine and I have pretty much maxed out the settings which are stable... could my video card be faulty?

hmscott
07-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Well no matter what I do in the MSI Afterburner, I can't reach or pass your results in unigine and I have pretty much maxed out the settings which are stable... could my video card be faulty?

It's a bit early to give up on your 880m :)

You need to OC the CPU - mine is OC'd and that helps boost the benchmark scores - and take some time to get a good handle on OC'ing and get more than 1 comparison before giving up on your 880m.

The 880m is the same chip as the 780m, shipped with a little higher Core clock, the results should be about the same between an OC'd 780m/880m.

Do some more OC tuning, then more benchmarks to run and compare. You are looking for improvements relative to your own GPU/CPU.

chassy809
07-03-2014, 09:27 PM
this happen to me to but just after OC's my g750jw

hmscott
07-04-2014, 01:42 AM
this happen to me to but just after OC's my g750jw

chassy809, if you want some help to get the OC to work, please post some details and we can help you. :)

What GPU OC application did you try? MSI or Asus?

What were the OC settings you tried?

Did you drop the memory OC down and try again?

The GPU clock on the JW should do the max available to set on both the MSI and Asus tools, but the memory clock on the JW might not go as high as 6250mhz, try using the default value and go up from there in 100mhz increments until it fails, then back off 50mhz - you can't just take someone else's memory OC values - from a different laptop, and hope they will work.

Here are my OC settings on my JW, when I had it, you could set your memory clock halfway between default and my value and then go up from there:

If you want to debug the OC together, please open a new thread, and post your settings there.

chassy809
07-04-2014, 06:05 AM
chassy809, if you want some help to get the OC to work, please post some details and we can help you. :)

What GPU OC application did you try? MSI or Asus?

What were the OC settings you tried?

Did you drop the memory OC down and try again?

The GPU clock on the JW should do the max available to set on both the MSI and Asus tools, but the memory clock on the JW might not go as high as 6250mhz, try using the default value and go up from there in 100mhz increments until it fails, then back off 50mhz - you can't just take someone else's memory OC values - from a different laptop, and hope they will work.

Here are my OC settings on my JW, when I had it, you could set your memory clock halfway between default and my value and then go up from there:

If you want to debug the OC together, please open a new thread, and post your settings there.

hmscott thanks for the response. I do not take another person's values ​​and adapt them to my g750jw. The problem was that the gpu tweak tool was not working but I realized that the problem was the driver, so I went back to the 337.88 driver and everything is back to work again. regarding the message that appears when the screen wakes up can be solved by changing the refresh rate settings from NVIDIA control panel.

hmscott
07-04-2014, 06:25 AM
hmscott thanks for the response. I do not take another person's values ​​and adapt them to my g750jw. The problem was that the gpu tweak tool was not working but I realized that the problem was the driver, so I went back to the 337.88 driver and everything is back to work again. regarding the message that appears when the screen wakes up can be solved by changing the refresh rate settings from NVIDIA control panel.

chassy809, the MSI Afterburner works with 340.43 for my JH, but it looks like not the JZ, it might work with the JW - you would skip using the Asus Tweak Tool and just use MSI Afterburner + GPU-Z for monitoring.

The refresh thing might be fixed by uninstalling the Asus Tweak tool and just using the MSI Afterburner - the Asus Tool allows you to set the Refresh and if it is different than the Nvidia Control panel setting it will barf... switch back and forth in sync.

Symho
07-25-2014, 11:10 AM
I think you must use Asus's software. Not other utility from other company!

hmscott
07-25-2014, 04:27 PM
I think you must use Asus's software. Not other utility from other company!

Symho, both the Asus and MSI Utilities access Nvidia API's to make the adjustments, you don't have to limit yourself to the Asus tool, in fact with Nvidia release 340.43 BETA the Asus Utility completely fails, where the MSI tool works - it just doesn't read the current data for it's graphs.

The manufacturers might implement more features in their tools than the Nvidia API, but for the purpose of OC'ing and reading GPU info, you can use any of the tools out there for Nvidia cards.

I have also used EVGA PrecisionX, but right now the latest version is offline...
http://www.evga.com/precision/

Symho
07-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Symho, both the Asus and MSI Utilities access Nvidia API's to make the adjustments, you don't have to limit yourself to the Asus tool, in fact with Nvidia release 340.43 BETA the Asus Utility completely fails, where the MSI tool works - it just doesn't read the current data for it's graphs.

The manufacturers might implement more features in their tools than the Nvidia API, but for the purpose of OC'ing and reading GPU info, you can use any of the tools out there for Nvidia cards.

I have also used EVGA PrecisionX, but right now the latest version is offline...
http://www.evga.com/precision/

Ok, but if you use the drivers released by manufacturers and their tools you have a stable software suite. You must have more attection on overclock and so you need strong software. If you wrong... your hardware burn! Now, I can understand that many of you have capabilities on oc practise but the medium users???

hmscott
07-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Ok, but if you use the drivers released by manufacturers and their tools you have a stable software suite. You must have more attection on overclock and so you need strong software. If you wrong... your hardware burn! Now, I can understand that many of you have capabilities on oc practise but the medium users???

Symho, right now the release drivers from Nvidia are causing problems on the JM/JS/JZ, so run 332.60 from Asus, but the JW/JX/JH can run the latest drivers from Nvidia, and have been able to for a long time.

Eventually the JM/JS/JZ will be able to run Nvidia drivers again, it is a matter of the new GPU's getting optimized in the new Nvidia drivers.

Problems come up in new releases, so watch for posts in the forums on users experiences with new drivers.

You aren't going to burn out your GPU using Nvidia drivers or OC'ing using Asus Tweak Tool or MSI Afterburner, the limits set in the vBIOS will protect you - the tweaking software can't go past those limits.

tru.kirby
07-25-2014, 11:31 PM
Ignore this post.

doerrrr@gmail.com
11-26-2014, 02:02 AM
Asus has solved the confusion around the Asus GPU Tweak for the G750JW/JX/JH and the G750JS/JM/JZ by splitting up Asus GPU Tweak into 2 support / download areas.

The G750JW/JX/JH uses the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, 2.6.5(.3) is latest stable - update 11-13-14

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=ASUS%20GPU%20Tweak%20for%20Graphics%20cards&hashedid=n/a

The G750JS/JM/JZ uses the Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, currently at release v1.0.9
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n%2fa

From previous testing I know the Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops won't work on the G750JH, and probably won't work on the G750JW/JX.

I don't know if the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards will work on the G750JS/JM/JZ.

The new Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops doesn't allow overclocking as freely as the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards.

The report from a G750JS user says that the Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops only allows a 5% boost.

Here is the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards on my G750JH, OC'ing well past 5% :)

Update: 11-13-14

Latest stable version of Asus Tweak for Graphics cards is 2.6.5(.3) - newer ones get crashes or don't set at boot.

hmscott, I want this http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=41849&d=1412489712

I have a gtx 780m i have gpu tweak but it doesnt look like this i want to be able to control my gpu fan like this tool shows..can you provide a download link? this tool cant be only for 870m series can it? i have g750jh

hmscott
11-26-2014, 02:36 AM
hmscott, I want this http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=41849&d=1412489712

I have a gtx 780m i have gpu tweak but it doesnt look like this i want to be able to control my gpu fan like this tool shows..can you provide a download link? this tool cant be only for 870m series can it? i have g750jh

doerrrr, if you have a 780m, then you have a G750JH, and the branch of Asus GPU Tweak that works on that laptop is the Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, and there is no Fan Control feature in that series.

The G750JH (and JW/JX) do a great job of automatically managing the GPU fan (and CPU fan) all the way up to it's maximum rotational speed - there is no faster speed available.

The G750JM/JS/JZ have the Full Fan option, but frankly it's a human interface design flaw... the fan curve for the automatic fan control should control over the full spectrum of fan speed - not be cut off at some almost full speed - and then require a MANUAL INTERVENTION to access Full fan speed. It's a tragic design flaw - it would annoy me to NEED to intervene with the cooling system for it to do it's Full job..

It's one of those things where you don't know how good you have it until you think about the alternative. :)

There is no situation where a manual forcing of CPU/GPU fan speed is needed on the G750JH, I have run mine with 100% CPU/GPU and the fans get LOUD - much louder than intense game play or normal usage - the top fan speed is there, you just haven't pushed it hard enough for the fan curve to kick in the full fan speed.

You don't need to cool the GPU/CPU more than the fan curve is doing so automatically. Asus and Intel / Nvidia engineers carefully test for the optimal operating temperatures for long term life, and have programmed the GPU/CPU to throttle for protection if the temperatures get too high.

The Asus Engineers have designed the CPU/GPU fan curves to keep the laptop quiet and still within the safe long life operation range.

Asus engineers know there is no need to cool the temps lower than optimal, it is a waste of fan spin's (also a consideration for long life) and adds unnecessary noise to the laptop.

MSI thinks the other way around. They have poor cooling, and must run the fans at dizzying speeds just to keep the CPU/GPU out of the throttling portion of the temperature curve, so you may be used to living with a noisy laptop. And, they have a MANUAL SWITCH to turn on Full Cooling. You don't need to worry about that with the Asus heavy duty dual cooling design of the G750JW/JX/JH.

If you really must experiment with fan control, there is one tool that works, but be careful!!!! This tool doesn't do a good Auto - it runs the CPU/GPU too hot - which means using this tool can actually shorten the lifespan of your GPU/CPU... not good, but if you insist then carefully/constantly monitor your temps on both CPU/GPU - turn logging on with hwinfo Sensors only mode.

Suggestions for keeping CPU cooler during heavy loads
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53173-Suggestions-for-keeping-CPU-cooler-during-heavy-loads&p=447787&viewfull=1#post447787

Wulff
11-26-2014, 08:45 AM
i like this one at this moment over msi afterburner or asus for gpu tweak for graphic cards cause that didnt work that well here on my g750jz:

EVGA_PrecisionX_16_Setup_v5.2.5.0

Spartan101
11-28-2014, 07:22 PM
I have the same problem as dne0gen using the G750JZ-DS71 laptop. I installed version 1.09 but I can't change the fan speed. Regardless if I turn off run at full fan speed, the fans runs at full speed all of the time.

hmscott
11-28-2014, 07:28 PM
I have the same problem as dne0gen using the G750JZ-DS71 laptop. I installed version 1.09 but I can't change the fan speed. Regardless if I turn off run at full fan speed, the fans runs at full speed all of the time.

Spartan101, does it run at full speed after uninstalling Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops?

How about the GPU temps, are they high enough to justify the system running the fan at high speed?

It sounds like a hardware problem, you should contact Asus for RMA if you are outside the return window, or swap for a new one at the seller if you still have time.

https://vip.asus.com <== create login, register laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry with the details requesting an RMA to fix the GPU fan (CPU too?)

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

Martin-Rott
12-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Hello hmscott,
hi guys all around the globe,

as i just bought a new G750JZ-T4096H (i7-4710hq + 880m) i appreciated a lot this thread.
Due to my OS (win 7) i have to use the GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards to OC the 880M.

Following the realized benchmarks and my stabil oc values (all reached with max fan speed thanx to Notebook Fan Control) maybe they can be also useful for someone else...

GPU Tweak + FurMark

Unigine Heaven

3DMark SkyDiver

Still i have some questions and hope you or someone else may can help me out:

- The max temperature was stabile at 87C during the FurMark 15min Burn-in benchmark, would it be risky keep it like that (without oc i reach 35199 frames and 39fps at a max temperature of 76C, so maybe i don't have the best cooling in my G750)?

- Would a driver update for the GPU would help (for now i stayed with the official Asus 33.02 driver from the download center).

- Is there an alternative to the Notebook Fan Control (NFC) program to control the fans in windows 7 (they won't run at max without - thank you Asus for that!) or a config file created for the G750JZ?

- What do you think about the OC result, seems quite ok for me, or is there much more space to oc?

Thanx!

khanrith
01-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Please Help currently I'm using Asus Rog G551JM with GTX 860M
any my CPU is core i7 4710HQ 2.5Ghz I want to over clock cup and also want to use GPU Tweak so Do I have do to ?

hmscott
01-15-2015, 11:16 PM
Please Help currently I'm using Asus Rog G551JM with GTX 860M
any my CPU is core i7 4710HQ 2.5Ghz I want to over clock cup and also want to use GPU Tweak so Do I have do to ?

khanrith, the CPU tuning is easy, with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - XTU, and it may come installed on the G551, it comes with the G751, if not you can download it here:

Intel XTU download - current version is 5.1.1.25
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=xtu

Install it and open to Manual Tuning, All Controls

You CPU options might be different, the max numbers might be higher/lower, move sliders for CPU Cores to Max, and CPU Cache slider to max. If you can adjust the Turbo Boost Power Time Window - change from 8 second default to at least 28 seconds - increases time Turbo Boost is active.

Apply, Save as a Profile name, and at next boot it will apply automatically.

You can see in the yellow highlighted changes, that I also set some negative voltage offset for CPU voltage / Cache voltage - start low and work down until you BSOD, then back off 1/2 change and find a stable undervolt point to reduce heat generation - the CPU only needs so much voltage for stable operation, reducing to that point reduces wasted heat - and reduces CPU temperatures and reduces fan spin ups.

The GPU tuning on the G551 is note as straight forward. You need 2 tools. The Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops - which won't let you adjust the GPU / Memory frequencies, and won't control Full Fan - it isn't supported (yet??). But you should be aware it is there and monitor it's updates.

There are 2 Asus GPU Tweak development branches, one for Optimus laptops like yours - Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, and the original Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics cards for desktop cards and non-Optimus laptops like the G750JW/JX/JH and G751JT/JY.

See the beginning posts of this thread.

For the G551, I would try the MSI Afterburner and use that to set +135 for GPU frequency, but not sure about memory frequency. You are on your own unless someone else with a G551 speaks up as to what they found to be stable. On your own you can increase the memory frequency +100 at a time until you see graphics anomalies like sparklies or some other screen distortion, and/or display driver crashes, then back off 50 and try again.

Newest MSI Afterburner - 4.1.0, the 3.x series was easier on the eyes, but drill through the drama and get to the settings.
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

G550JK / GTX850M GPU Tweak/Overclock Question ?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55913-G550JK-GTX850M-GPU-Tweak-Overclock-Question

Please post what memory frequency you found stable :)

diogogmaio
05-04-2015, 11:10 AM
For gtx 980m G751jy what's the best config in msi afterburner?

Neovox
08-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Hello guys,

Sorry for resurrecting this post hehe

I was trying to download the version of GPUTweak for laptops with optimus which hmscott provided but whenever you follow the link it redirects to ASUS support page :confused: (http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n%2fa&_ga=1.216175509.263317922.1470496996)

I searched for the software all over the internet and the only version that I found was for the G750JM (Version V1.0.5) and I own a G750JS

Does anybody knows if is this the latest version now?

Thanks in advance.

dzigi
11-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Hey guys, I'm having trouble finding the right GPU Tweak version with the fan control option for G750JS with GTX 870m on win 10.
Any help will be appreciated. :D

Tom Tromboni
11-05-2016, 12:27 PM
Hello guys,

Sorry for resurrecting this post hehe

I was trying to download the version of GPUTweak for laptops with optimus which hmscott provided but whenever you follow the link it redirects to ASUS support page :confused: (http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n%2fa&_ga=1.216175509.263317922.1470496996)

I searched for the software all over the internet and the only version that I found was for the G750JM (Version V1.0.5) and I own a G750JS

Does anybody knows if is this the latest version now?

Thanks in advance.

ASUS GPU Tweak for Laptops 1.0.10 is the lastest
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8.1/GPUTweak/GPU_Tweak_Win81_64_VER1010.zip

TOM

liyin
01-04-2017, 01:42 PM
UPDATE:

ASUS GPU TweakII 1.3.2.2 on a G750-JZ (GTX 770M) seems to be functional and offers way more functionality than GPU Tweak for Laptops 1.0.10 or Afterburner. No contest.

----------------------

But GPU Tweak 1.0.10 says the configuration file is missing and can't overclock, but even if it did there's no way to change fan speed.

At least Afterburner lets you change GPU/Memory frequency, don't remember seeing the option to change fan speed.

The video I saw on Youtube overclocking a G750-JZ (GTX 770M) appeared to be using GPU Tweak for Graphic Cards because it had all the dials like Afterburner.

The GPU Tweak 1.0.10 (for Laptops) has a very simple UI, and no history of temps like Afterburner.

Either try the one for Graphics Cards (GPU Tweak II) or Afterburner.

ASUS GPU Tweak for Laptops 1.0.10 is the lastest
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8.1/GPUTweak/GPU_Tweak_Win81_64_VER1010.zip