PDA

View Full Version : Looking at options to play blu ray on g75vw-jh

MeteoricDragon
03-28-2014, 08:03 PM
I own a g75vw-jh, and it doesn't have a blu ray drive installed. I am looking at options for giving it blu ray capability and I have several questions and need advice on these options. Perhaps there's an even better way to do what I'd Like to do with my laptop.

Internal Blu Ray - Is this possible, more expensive than an external blu ray, or even practical? Possible fees for installation, or is it just really easy to install without voiding warranty? Blu Ray player software included free with drive itself?
External Blu Ray - How does it connect to the computer? Via USB 2.0? Is 3.0 better or not neccessary? or does it connect via HDMI port?

Clintlgm
03-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Changing out a DVD player for a BD Player or Writer is a simple thing to do. There failry cheap on ebay or Amazon. or check out this (http://www.mydvddrives.com/replacement-for-asus-g75vw-sata-bd-rom-blu-ray-combo-drive-78347) Comes with a manual showing you how to swap them out.
Usually External driver are more expensive, I'm sure by now that you could find one that would support USB 3.0 if that's the way you want to go.

SHADO
03-29-2014, 12:20 AM
I replaced the DVD drive in my G75 with a Blu-ray drive. Just get the one that Clintlgm linked to. It is about a five minute process to remove the old and install the new. All you do is remove the access panel on the bottom of your G75, then locate and remove the 1 screw holding your current DVD drive in. Slide the old drive out. Then remove the screw that holds the little bracket on the old drive, and attach the bracket using the screw to the new drive. Then you have to gently remove the plastic bezel (faceplate) from the old drive and snap it onto the new drive. Slide the new drive into your G75, and put the screw back in that holds the drive in. Put the access panel back on your laptop, and you're done. Couldn't be easier.

It doesn't look like the drive that Clintlgm linked to comes with software for Blu-ray playback. I have a feeling that most if not all bare drives do not come with the software needed. What I actually did was buy an external Blu-ray drive, which DID come with the needed software. It was only after I bought the external drive that I decided to mount it internally. So I just removed it from the case it came in and mounted it internally.

My external Blu-ray drive originally plugged into a usb 3.0 port on my G75.

MeteoricDragon
03-29-2014, 04:58 AM
Can it be another brand like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-UJ-141-Recorder-Internal-Elitebook/dp/B00GIQA6X6/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1396052683&sr=1-8&keywords=asus+internal+blu+ray+drive+laptop)? I saw this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16478-Blu-Ray-Drive-Model-Number-Where-to-buy) mention he had success in installing that blu ray in a g75vw BBK5, whereas mine is g75vw-jh. I don't know the difference between all the letters or I'd know the answer to that question.

As for the Blu Ray playback software, Can VLC Media Player (http://vlc-media-player.en.softonic.com/) be used?

SHADO
03-29-2014, 05:18 AM
Can it be another brand like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-UJ-141-Recorder-Internal-Elitebook/dp/B00GIQA6X6/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1396052683&sr=1-8&keywords=asus+internal+blu+ray+drive+laptop)? I saw this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16478-Blu-Ray-Drive-Model-Number-Where-to-buy) mention he had success in installing that blu ray in a g75vw BBK5, whereas mine is g75vw-jh. I don't know the difference between all the letters or I'd know the answer to that question.

As for the Blu Ray playback software, Can VLC Media Player (http://vlc-media-player.en.softonic.com/) be used?

The drive you linked to should work just fine. They all seem pretty much universal, as long as the height is correct for your application (12.7mm). All the G75 variations take a 12.7mm high optical drive. I just tried to use VLC to play a Blu-ray, and it was a no go. I'm not even sure that there IS a free Blu-ray playing software anywhere out there, but I could be mistaken.

bioangel
03-29-2014, 06:49 AM
I got a g75 with a blu ray installed and it never can with the soft ware to play them. One day I'll buck up and pay for it. Just sucks you would think if you bought the drive it should come with. Like DVD,s. If you find a free blue ray codexlet me know.

Clintlgm
03-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Media Center has no problems playing BD, not sure but MP might for sure plays DVD's. I have always used paid for Software for movie viewing as it most likely to work well all the time.

SHADO
03-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Media Center has no problems playing BD, not sure but MP might for sure plays DVD's. I have always used paid for Software for movie viewing as it most likely to work well all the time.

Windows Media Center doesn't come with the standard version of Windows 8 which is what I believe most g75's came with (except the ones with Windows 7).

Windows Media Player won't play Blu-ray (at least not for me).

MeteoricDragon
03-29-2014, 10:47 PM
What are some good options for Blu Ray player software then? Stuff that works well and isn't too expensive?

SHADO
03-29-2014, 11:53 PM
I personally don't know what works well and isn't too expensive. My drive came with Cyberlink Media Suite.

Clintlgm
03-30-2014, 01:34 AM
Yep I just sent a hour finding my one and only Blue Ray disk Avatar, and your right MC won't play BD. Seems like this NB had some BD playing software I'll have to look on the driver disk I got don't remember what it was or if it will work in 8.1

SHADO
03-30-2014, 03:13 AM
Supposedly if you install this free codec pack, you can play Blu-ray discs using WMP. Only caveat is that you have to have Windows Media Center already installed with Windows 8.

EDIT: Link removed. Contains malware.

So either way, the OP is still going to have to pay, one way or another. :(

Clintlgm
03-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Didn't work for me, SHADO, all it did was take over my home page and give me a Yahoo home page LOL, didn't work for MC or MP, it did have a uninstall program, scanning my notebook now for any other little bad things.

SHADO
03-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Didn't work for me, SHADO, all it did was take over my home page and give me a Yahoo home page LOL, didn't work for MC or MP, it did have a uninstall program, scanning my notebook now for any other little bad things.

Sorry you ran into difficulties. That's why I said "supposedly", as I didn't try it (not having media center myself).

Clintlgm
03-30-2014, 06:31 PM
No problem Shado, I didn't use the custom install my bad. Still it didn't seem to work for either Media player or Media Center maybe I did something wrong. Anyway first time I actually tried to use my BD Writer guess its not all that important. LOL

Clintlgm
03-31-2014, 04:01 AM
Don't install that file, it installs a malware" pup.optional.conduit.a " Malwarebytes picked it up. Norton did not.

SHADO
03-31-2014, 11:34 AM
Don't install that file, it installs a malware" pup.optional.conduit.a " Malwarebytes picked it up. Norton did not.

Thanks, Clintlgm. I had no idea. I edited my post and removed the link.

Clintlgm
03-31-2014, 09:55 PM
Yes it was interesting that Norton and Malwarebytes allowed it to install. Full scan Norton didn't pick it up. Full scan of Malwarebytes did there were like 8 different files all around the same pup.optional. XXXx
So like the OP I can't play BD movies either, funny I've had this Notebook almost 2 years now and just found that out.

SHADO
03-31-2014, 10:33 PM
I can understand (up to a point) how an aftermarket drive might not come with the needed software to play Blu-ray discs, but I think it is just wrong if a laptop is purchased with a Blu-ray drive already mounted, but doesn't come with the appropriate software. :P

Clintlgm
04-01-2014, 02:58 AM
Yea I agree, it seems that the standard isn't really going to catch on so it's really a moot point. At least for me I haven't miss it at all, I bought one BD movie. I considered BD for Recovery but reading all the problems with BD I just didn't get interested. I mean we got 128 GB USB 3.0 Thumb drives. I really couldn't see any difference between BD and DVD on my Big screen. Guess I just haven't been spoiled to it yet.

Don Calvillo
04-03-2014, 03:00 AM
Imitated By MANY
Surpassed By NONE
iReal Blu-ray Player (http://blurayplayermac.com) exerts efforts to be perfect.
Support Blu-ray, DVD, and any HD video formats. Compatible with Mac OS X and Windows OS. Add cutting-edge technologies like DTS 5.1. Deliver the ultimate home theater experience.
Compatible with your Mac and Windows
Cover most popular Mac and Windows System
iReal Blu-ray Player (http://www.blurayplayermac.com/)software allows you to playback any brand Blu-ray DVDs on Windows and for your Mac. Please do get an external Blu-ray Drive to make sure they will work at their best.
Being compatible with just one device is easy. But all of them could be difficult. iReal Blu-ray Media Player, however, manages to achieve full-compatibility with all Mac OS X and Windows OS, moreover all models of Mac devices and Windows-based desktops, laptops, tables and convertibles.

CurtisSParish
08-08-2014, 03:43 AM
Except for the player mentioned, there are many other blu-ray players which can satisfy your needs. Aurora mac blu-ray player is such a player which has strong power to play your disc. Don't miss it.