PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! G750JH only boots to BIOS after BIOS flash

The Cool Dude
03-30-2014, 12:16 AM
Hello everyone.

I just used the Windows BIOS Flash Utility to upgrade the BIOS on my G750JH from BIOS 205 (G750JH) to BIOS 206 (G750JH). I was not having any problems. Just wanted to keep everything up to date.

The flash seemed to go just fine and then after it was done it simply went into the BIOS. I can see it is at 206 so that part is fine. I tried loading the defaults and no change. I tried holding ESC when powering on to see the boot menu but I cannot select anything. Not even to boot to CD ROM or from USB either. In the BIOS under Boot I cannot add a boot order at all. Under Advanced SATA is set to AHCI and I can see all my hard drives.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks!

pokerface
03-30-2014, 12:26 AM
take it to the service center.

next time, NEVER use the Winflash

that is known for bricking laptops

instead, use a FAT32 formatted USB stick, then go to your BIOS, > Easy Flash and do it there, works 100%

hmscott
03-30-2014, 03:05 AM
Hello everyone.

I just used the Windows BIOS Flash Utility to upgrade the BIOS on my G750JH from BIOS 205 (G750JH) to BIOS 206 (G750JH). I was not having any problems. Just wanted to keep everything up to date.

The flash seemed to go just fine and then after it was done it simply went into the BIOS. I can see it is at 206 so that part is fine. I tried loading the defaults and no change. I tried holding ESC when powering on to see the boot menu but I cannot select anything. Not even to boot to CD ROM or from USB either. In the BIOS under Boot I cannot add a boot order at all. Under Advanced SATA is set to AHCI and I can see all my hard drives.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Not having had this happen to me, I can't give you a for sure solution. But, I would try reflashing like pokerface suggested using a USB copy of the BIOS.

You already tried the resetting defaults. There isn't much else to try. If the boot order is ok, you could try pulling the 2nd bay drive and just have the boot drive available. You could also try putting in a new bare drive in the 1st Bay with the 2nd Bay empty, and do a restore from your Asus Backtracker backup. Then you could install your old boot drive in an external case / 2nd bay to pull data from it to recover your files.

You could also then try doing a firmware downgrade using the /nodate option to Winflash and see if your old boot drive would now work again in the 1st Bay.

If you can't get a recovery to boot, you would then need to contact Asus.

Let us know what you work out. Sorry to hear about this, it is a sucky thing to have happen, Good luck!

The Cool Dude
03-30-2014, 03:58 AM
Hello again.

I'm back in business! Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

What I did was this.....

I tried reflashing the BIOS using a USB key and the built in tool from the BIOS however it would not allow me to saying that the BIOS I had on the USB key was too old even though the date of the file was exactly the same as the BIOS I currently had so that did not work.

After some searching on other forums someone had suggested disabling Secure Boot from the security tab. So I tried that. Did not make a difference however disabling Secure Boot allowed me to Enable CSM from the Boot tab. I then saved and exited and it booted into Windows!

I went back into the BIOS and had a look at the boot tab and found that all of my boot options had returned! I reconfirmed this by disabling CSM in the BIOS and once again I could not boot so I re enabled it and it worked.

I do not recall if my BIOS was set this way before I flashed from 205 to 206 or not. Does anyone know what CSM is? Can anyone check their BIOS to see if they have their BIOS set like me or not?

Everything seems to be working fine here at the moment however I'm a little concerned that loading the defaults in the BIOS do not work for me.

Thanks in advance.

pokerface
03-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Hello again.

I'm back in business! Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

What I did was this.....

I tried reflashing the BIOS using a USB key and the built in tool from the BIOS however it would not allow me to saying that the BIOS I had on the USB key was too old even though the date of the file was exactly the same as the BIOS I currently had so that did not work.

After some searching on other forums someone had suggested disabling Secure Boot from the security tab. So I tried that. Did not make a difference however disabling Secure Boot allowed me to Enable CSM from the Boot tab. I then saved and exited and it booted into Windows!

I went back into the BIOS and had a look at the boot tab and found that all of my boot options had returned! I reconfirmed this by disabling CSM in the BIOS and once again I could not boot so I re enabled it and it worked.

I do not recall if my BIOS was set this way before I flashed from 205 to 206 or not. Does anyone know what CSM is? Can anyone check their BIOS to see if they have their BIOS set like me or not?

Everything seems to be working fine here at the moment however I'm a little concerned that loading the defaults in the BIOS do not work for me.

Thanks in advance.

while you fixed it, that is only a temporary solution.

disabling secure boot and enabling CMS is usually done for installing propriety OS like Linux or Windows 7. Doing so on Windows 8 will slow your boot drastically and you won't be in UEFI mode.

I don't know what to suggest at this point to be honest

The Cool Dude
03-30-2014, 05:11 PM
Thanks pokerface.

OK. This morning I used the /nodate switch with Winflash to take it back to 205 and tested. Same issue. I cannot boot unless I disable secure boot and enable CMS. So I then tried switching the position of my hard drives moving the SSD from position 1 to position 0 and tested. Same issue. Interesting that ASUS had used some strange tape to tape the SSD where it was in addition to screws. I wonder if that was some warranty tape or something.

So then I reflashed to 206 using my USB key and the update tool within the BIOS. Same issue. No matter what, and no matter what position I have my boot drive SSD, I cannot boot unless I disable secure boot and enable CMS.

I'm not sure understand hmscott's comment about
You could also try putting in a new bare drive in the 1st Bay with the 2nd Bay empty, and do a restore from your Asus Backtracker backup. The problem appears to be within the BIOS, not the data on my drives. Perhaps I am missing something?

I have opened a ticket with ASUS support online and am waiting to see what they say. Their email says they will get back to me within 48 hours.

hmscott
03-30-2014, 06:53 PM
OK. This morning I used the /nodate switch with Winflash to take it back to 205 and tested. Same issue. I cannot boot unless I disable secure boot and enable CMS. So I then tried switching the position of my hard drives moving the SSD from position 1 to position 0 and tested. Same issue. Interesting that ASUS had used some strange tape to tape the SSD where it was in addition to screws. I wonder if that was some warranty tape or something.

So then I reflashed to 206 using my USB key and the update tool within the BIOS. Same issue. No matter what, and no matter what position I have my boot drive SSD, I cannot boot unless I disable secure boot and enable CMS.

I'm not sure understand hmscott's comment about The problem appears to be within the BIOS, not the data on my drives. Perhaps I am missing something?

I have opened a ticket with ASUS support online and am waiting to see what they say. Their email says they will get back to me within 48 hours.

Somehow the UEFI security relationship broke during the BIOS update, and what it takes to fix it isn't something I have explored enough to recommend a step by step solution.

The BIOS generates a key and writes it to the boot drive. The UEFI boot loader on the drive and the BIOS exchange the keys to verify and boot.

Googling shows this breakage isn't isolated to Asus, but it points to a bug in the Asus BIOS that would allow this to happen.

I was hoping that flashing back would re-establish the key exchange for secure boot. Did you leave it in CSM with secure boot disabled during the flash?

Maybe setting it back to defaults, with secure boot enabled, and then flashing forward/back while in secure boot would re-establish the key relationship.

The reason I suggested a recovery is the same reason - to reestablish the secure boot key relationship. When the recovery boot erases the boot drive it will need to set everything up from scratch.

Given all that, there is probably a procedure from the BIOS where you can create and write a new key, but the one time I tried it, it didn't work, so I did a recovery restore and started with a clean Asus OEM Windows 8.0 boot and recovered my data from backup.

You might ask Asus the procedure to re-establish the secure relationship after the BIOS broke it. And, let us know how that works out - and if it works, post it here :)

Something like this:

How to repair the EFI Bootloader in Windows 8
http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/12/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-in-windows-8/

pokerface
03-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Upgrade your BIOS to the latest

then restore your laptop back to factory state, that will surely fix it

remember to load setup default in BIOS before you start the recovery

USe ASUS Backtracker to save the recovery partition to an external 16 GB stick, then boot from that USB stick by holding the ESC during startup

The Cool Dude
04-01-2014, 03:38 AM
Hello again.

I was just preparing to format my drive and reinstall windows and I got a response from ASUS.

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is _______ and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

I do apologize that you have suffered such experience with our laptop.

For this issue, there may be something wrong with your BIOS chip, please send the laptop in for factory BIOS reload.

They cant be serious?

hmscott
04-01-2014, 07:11 AM
Hello again.

I was just preparing to format my drive and reinstall windows and I got a response from ASUS.

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is _______ and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

I do apologize that you have suffered such experience with our laptop.

For this issue, there may be something wrong with your BIOS chip, please send the laptop in for factory BIOS reload.

They cant be serious?

There have been a few reports like yours, but most people have been doing BIOS updates ok, so what is the difference? Bad BIOS chip? Could be.

Did you explain in your TI the details of the problem and what you had tried, and what you intended to try (recovery)? It might not hurt to try the recovery if you are sending it back - it might work and allow you to update - if that doesn't work then let Asus fix it.

The Cool Dude
04-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Hi there.

I responded to ASUS letting them know everything I did and found and that I was about to reinstall Windows. I have stopped at this point and am awaiting a response.

We'll see what they come back with.

MrRuckus
04-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Im not sure restoring to factory is going to do anything for you. Reseting back to factory is not going to restore your previous version settings in the Bios which is what caused the mismatch to take place to begin with.

I have a feeling Asus is right and the only way to enable secure boot would require them to most likely replace/repair your Bios and the secure keys.

In all honesty I hate UEFI and having to disable it is a pain to boot to anything other then your original OS. But it does speed up the boot process and supposedly makes it more secure.

gazzacbr
04-01-2014, 05:38 PM
UEFI is pants. micro$oft love it because it locked up and keeps most people from doing anything other that booting the one windows that it came with.
with an ssd the boot times are pretty much irrelevant now (i can remember the 2 minute vista boot up)
secure and windows, i dont think so. oh, wait, secure from booting another OS.
the uefi theory was good with large and unlimited partitions but its never been properly implemented. its really not ready for maistream use.
i disabled mine and use mbr disc. its simple and it works. i do not have problems. (see sig)
oh, and windows 8 still automatically picks up the key from bios (just to squash that rumour)
my 2c.