PDA

View Full Version : What is the fastest 1 TB SSD on the market?

pokerface
03-31-2014, 04:51 PM
Anything better than this Samsung Evo Pro or shall I go for it?

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=87764&vpn=MZ-7TE1T0BW&manufacture=Samsung%20Memory%20%26%20Storage&promoid=1020

TJ Hooker
03-31-2014, 08:21 PM
Well, when it comes to consumer 1TB SATA SSDs, there are only 3 options as far as I know. The Samsung EVO, Crucial M500, and Crucial M550. From what I remember reading about the M500, it isn't a terribly fast drive, so if you're looking for speed just search for some benchmarks/reviews of the EVO and M550 and get whichever one looks better.

But yeah, based on everything I've read about the EVO it's a pretty great drive.

Nillaz
04-01-2014, 02:12 AM
Get the Evo and call it a day. You will be plenty happy with it.

cmczdub
04-01-2014, 12:57 PM
I second the notion on the EVO. Based off of reviews and benchmarks I've seen, it is the fastest one you will get. If you want to step down to a 512, get the Samsung Pro. Or maybe even two 512 Samsung Pros.

The one you linked isn't a Pro, its the Samsung EVO, which gives fairly decent read/write speeds and will be an amazing step up from an HDD, but if you already have SSDs, you'll see less of a performance jump buy may still see some speed increases.

pokerface
04-01-2014, 01:37 PM
ok let me make things more clear and please give meh your opinion:

here is my current configuration in my G750JX Laptop:

Bay 1: 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD (Benchmark on CrystalDisk Mark = Read: 507 MB/S //// Write: 392 MB/S) [OS + Installed Programs + 2 Games [Fifa 2014 + Counter Strike Global]
Bay 2: 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD [Contains my Dropbox Folder, which includes documents, pics, music, and the Software setup files]
USB 3.0: 2 TB External WD HDD [Contains my huge 2 TB Video Library]

It is very slow I feel when installing my programs after a format due to them being on the 5400 RPM HDD. and I feel jealous everytime I See someone on a forum posting how great the Samsung 840 Pro SSDs are so I wanted to maximize my performance although now I am not sure if I will really see a difference in real world from my current LiteOn 256 GB SSD vs. a 1 TB EVO or a 512 GB 840 Pro

I am bound to keep my videos on the slowest external HDD since they're big

So what I thought I would do, is to get that 1 TB EVO, partition it as 200 GB for C: and the remaining stuff will go on its D: partition like music, docs, videos

Then when I have more money, I will upgrade the 1 TB snail HDD to a 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD to move my video collection from the external HDD to the 2nd Hard Drive

I am really not sure anymore if I want the 1 TB EVO or the 840 Pro 512 GB or if it's worth it at all to do the upgrade of my main SSD?

cmczdub
04-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Well, I'm using a 512 Samsung Pro in the main bay and the stock 5400rpm 1tb in the secondary. I'm thinking about going to Best Buy today and swapping out the 1tb Hdd for this 1tb hybrid ssd(I need to read up more on it though):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/momentus-lp-1tb-internal-serial-ata-hard-drive-for-laptops/5542941.p?id=1218655167046&skuId=5542941&st=momentus&cp=1&lp=1

In you're situation, based on your current configuration, you will only see a minor/moderate speed increase by going with the PRO (but its still a beast hard drive and probably the best you'll get in terms of speed) BUT you'll be only getting like 220gb of more space on your main drive. But if space isn't too much of an issue on bay1, then that would be your best choice, speed wise. With the 1tb SSD, you'll get a minor speed increase over your current config as well as the added space, so if you want the space in bay 1, go for the 1tb EVO.

Another thing to consider, for that second bay is that all the HDDs I've seen above 750gb are 5400rpm. You may see a speed increase by going with a hybrid SSD+HDD with a SSD cache, but I can't speak to that as I have taken the plunge to buy it just yet.

Another option for that second bay that I have experience with and loved was a 750gb Seagate Momentus XT:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-7200RPM-Hybrid-ST750LX003/dp/B00691WMJG

I had one in my previous laptop (An Alienware) and loved the performance coming from a 5400rpm drive. It was almost as fast as an SSD, so much that I used it as my primary drive, in lieu of an full SSD. So if you can shell out that minor loss of space, this would be what I would consider your second best option (Speed-wise, the best option being two 512gb PROs)

While browsing, I did see one by Western Digital 2tb but it does not state the drive speed, only that it is quieter than traditional 7200s, but once again, does not state its actual speed anywhere. Nor, do I even know if it will fit.

If it had my vote, for the best space/speed config would be 1tb EVO in the main bay and the 750gb Momentus XT in your 2nd bay.
Speed/Speed config would be 512 Pros in both bays.
Space/Space would be, well too slow (once you go SSD, you can't go back to HDD), so I'm not even going to go there!

pokerface
04-01-2014, 03:21 PM
I am having the hardest time deciding between the 512 GB 840 Pro vs the 1 TB Evo

one guy at another forum suggested keeping my current 256 GB LiteOn IT SSD as the main drive and simply to replace the 5400 RPM 1 TB snail with the 1 TB Evo

what do you think of that?

and how would you rate the 512 GB 840 Pro vs the 1 TB evo (TLC vs. MLC) as in performance?

cmczdub
04-01-2014, 04:10 PM
I'd say the Pro (vs EVO) isn't going to be "OMG" faster or even "oh wow" faster but in benchmarks it will be faster.

If you keep your current SSD in your primary drive and put the Evo in your secondary, you are going to get 1.2TB in SSD which is nothing to be ashamed of. If you are OCD like me, you may want to switch them. Its always nice to have a larger, fresh drive as the boot drive. No difference performance-wise though.

I only went with the Pro as my main because I had credit to a store that carried the Pro and it was on the install on my out-of-the-box G750. If they carried the 1tb EVO, I would've gone that route, but overall I'm extremely happy with the performance, no regrets.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get either the 512 Pro in the Main and Momentus XT in the secondary (for benchmark and possible but not probable performance increase) or the 1tb EVO in Main and the Momentus XT in secondary (for a 500gb space increase). I'm totally sold on the Momentus XT in the secondary bay, you're choice on the main bay. Using this config, you can also get an external hard drive enclosure and put that snail 5400 drive in there for an extra 1tb of space.

BUT, to answer your question, if you want to just keep the snail 5400 in your secondary bay, then definitely go with the 1tb EVO.

pscza
04-01-2014, 04:44 PM
one guy at another forum suggested keeping my current 256 GB LiteOn IT SSD as the main drive and simply to replace the 5400 RPM 1 TB snail with the 1 TB Evo

what do you think of that?

I have that config - O/S & Apps on the LiteON and "Data" on the 1TB EVO SSD - works well for myself. I run VM images on the 1TB SSD.

Ultimately I will replace the LiteON with another 1TB SSD (or swap them around when larger than 1TB SSD's come out).

TJ Hooker
04-01-2014, 04:51 PM
I don't think swapping your current SSD for a new one is going to provide any meaningful performance gains, so unless you actually need the extra space of a 512GB/1TB drive, I wouldn't bother. As far as swapping out your 1TB HDD for an SSD, well, I'm not sure if there's much benefit to having things like music and pictures on a fast drive compared to a slow one. To be honest, my recommendation would be to just stick with your current setup and save yourself ~$500.

pokerface
04-01-2014, 05:33 PM
I just got some extra cash as we speak

now I have 2 choices, please advice me

Choice 1:

Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB in Bay 1
Samsung EVO 1 TB in bay 2

Choice 2:

Samsung EVO 1 TB in Bay 1
Samsung EVO 1 TB in Bay 2

performance wise, EVO vs. PRO, which is better

pscza
04-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Stick with the LiteON as your boot drive - I run Rapid mode on the 1TB Samsung SSD (unfortunately it only supports 1 SSD currently) so unless you need the space, replacing the LiteON will gain very little in performance over space. Pro beats the EVO marginally

pokerface
04-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Then I'll go with choice 1, PRo as the main SSD and the Evo 1 TB to complement it for storing videos/software setup files, etc.

hmscott
04-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Then I'll go with choice 1, PRo as the main SSD and the Evo 1 TB to complement it for storing videos/software setup files, etc.

That's the fastest boot, single SSD + storage config. :)

You could also try 1TB+1TB or 512GB+512GB RAID0.

It may not be as fast as the JH M.2 NGFF form factor RAID0, but it is worth a try. Getting 1000MB/sec Reads and 800MB/sec Writes would be much faster than the single 512GB Pro speeds of about 550MB/sec Read and 520MB/sec Writes.

IDK if your laptop will support a RAID0 Config...

pokerface
04-01-2014, 08:10 PM
That's the fastest boot, single SSD + storage config. :)

You could also try 1TB+1TB or 512GB+512GB RAID0.

It may not be as fast as the JH M.2 NGFF form factor RAID0, but it is worth a try. Getting 1000MB/sec Reads and 800MB/sec Writes would be much faster than the single 512GB Pro speeds of about 550MB/sec Read and 520MB/sec Writes.

IDK if your laptop will support a RAID0 Config...

It does, It has the option in the BIOS

http://i58.tinypic.com/vosox2.jpg

never tried it in my life though

how does it work? I would need to put 2 identical SSDs and the system would see them as one drive?

what if I wanna partition the drive into C: and D: would both be partitioned together or do I have to do it manually for both

also, what are the benefits? it is a big difference or not worth it if you're already on an SSD?

hmscott
04-01-2014, 08:25 PM
It does, It has the option in the BIOS

http://i58.tinypic.com/vosox2.jpg

never tried it in my life though

how does it work? I would need to put 2 identical SSDs and the system would see them as one drive?

what if I wanna partition the drive into C: and D: would both be partitioned together or do I have to do it manually for both

also, what are the benefits? it is a big difference or not worth it if you're already on an SSD?

When you have the 2 identical drives installed, the option to combine them will show up. You need to set to RAID, select both drives, and set the RAID level to build the volume. With a discrete RAID card you need to do it in the RAID card BIOS, but this should all happen in the main BIOS.

If you pick RAID0 you will get a volume 2x the size of 1 drive alone. You can then partition it as you like.

If you use the Asus Backtracker Recovery on the raw 2TB/1TB partition, I am not sure what it will do :)

If the RAID0 breaks, you loose all your data, so back it all up daily if possible.

I haven't had a RAID0 fail for a while, but it happens.

Here is an Asus Guide

RAID – What Is RAID? And Setup Guide For First Timers
http://rog.asus.com/77402012/rampage-motherboards/what-is-raid-setup-guide/

pokerface
04-01-2014, 08:58 PM
thanks bro