PDA

View Full Version : Delete factory recovery partition. Can someone copy it for me?

b419kid
04-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Hey all,
I did some silly things with the override command in diskpart on a windows live usb... and uh... deleted the asus recovery
partition. The one that lets you refresh windows without needing to reinstall drivers. Is it possible for someone, who still has it
in tact, to copy the partition somehow and get it to me to put back on my drive?

I really really don't want to send the laptop back into Asus just to get this done.

Thanks in advance.

I have an ASUS ROG G46VW (14").

skidoo
04-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Thought about making that request myself .
I downgraded from win 8 to Win 7 ( to run certain software )
I thought I made a copy of everything, BUT, obviously I didn't include factory recovery partition.
Would have been nice if ASUS had a way to download this partition ( possibly with the use of serial # of notebook for proof )

If possible, I have ASUS G75VX-RH71-CA, and came with Windows 8

It's a long shot request, but never hurts to ask?!

Thank You

Clintlgm
04-01-2014, 11:13 PM
I think if you lost your recovery partition, you will just Clean Install and reinstall your drivers, and software See Rewben/s Thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=)for guides and notes we all worked out months ago.

Get your drivers (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1) here use these until you have everything working then if you want to upgrade further at least you'll know that it was working.

laptopbroken1
04-02-2014, 03:00 AM
I am in the same boat laptop wont boot! And I am amazed how friggin hard it is to do a simple windows install! I have done thousands of regular computers and this bios is updated but something has got to let me install SSD!

Clintlgm
04-02-2014, 03:31 AM
See my comment you replied to rewben thread addresses how to clean install, the problem your running into this that we don't really have a BIOS MBR , these G series NB are shipped UEFI GPT, once you address that installing is easy. If the upgrade & notes don't do it for you there are some really good guides on the Eightforms (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/) and 7forums (http://www.sevenforums.com/)

Create a USB install media use RUFUS to accomplish this remember your creating a UEFI Bootable install media
spam the esc key on boot up that will give you a boot menu select your UEFI USB Install media
after the install files are loaded hit the F10 key that will give you a CMD window, Use Diskpart to clean your SSD and convert it to GPT
Partition your SSD however you like and install windows to the C: partition. Simple as it always was you just have to learn UEFI all the new equipment is coming with it so jump right on in. MBR disk are a thing of the past.

b419kid
04-02-2014, 03:42 AM
I got all my drivers, no problem. Wish I could get that partition back so it can save headaches and time in the future. Anyhow, I just happen to own a separate Windows 8 key that I using for this install. How do I make the install work with the one built into bios?

Clintlgm
04-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Windows Eight (http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/) its simple just use a program to extract your key from your BIOS.
Run pkeyui.exe by right clicking on it then choose Run As Administrator, then find your Windows 8 product key and write it down somewhere safe.
Here are the generic Key's that will allow you to install from a retail ISO, they will not activate windows they only allow you to install win 8.1 you need to activate with your embedded legal Key.
Window 8.1 Generic Keys:Windows 8.1 Single Language Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC
Windows 8.1 Core 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Windows 8.1 Pro XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB
Locate yourself a 8.1 ISO and use a generic install only key. Complete the install and use your OEM key to Activate
Use Macrium Reflect or other software to image your hard drive so that you won't have to clean install in the future. I can only speak for MR as it is known to work with window 8 UEFI GPT many others have been used and have failed to be able to recreate a bootable OS. Research the answers are all out there in the stickies at the top of this forum.
If you install the same version of window 8 that your notebook came with it should install using your embedded key. If you use the retail version you will need to use a generic either core or pro license to install and then activate using your embedded key.

b419kid
04-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the great information. The one piece that I am not understanding is how to find the exact type of windows iso that the embedded bios key actually works with.

Like, I can find a Windows 8 retail iso pretty easy, but how do I make that work with an OEM key?

Thanks in advance.

b419kid
04-02-2014, 03:28 PM
EDIT: Right now the Windows product key viewer is showing a retail key I used (and not the bios one). Any idea on getting around this? Or was my mistake using a retail key to begin with? (PS, your link went to some set of forums and I downloaded the program from else where)

EDIT 2: Even after uninstalling the retail key, the key finding program you linked finds the retail key. :/

EDIT 3: Seems that program, for me, is missing the MSDM option, as seen on screenshots around other forums. Seems necessary for getting the BIOS key. Also, RWEverything (which supposedly can accomplish the same
purpose) doesn't have the "MSDM" tab that contains the bios key for me either.

:(

Clintlgm
04-02-2014, 11:58 PM
perhaps your notebook originally had win7 and at the factory they upgraded it to win 8? if that were the case then you wouldn't have a key embedded in your BIOS?

b419kid
04-03-2014, 01:04 AM
How would I activate windows 8 without my retail key then? I guess i wouldn't?

Clintlgm
04-03-2014, 02:17 PM
That would be something you would have to discuss with Asus Support PM cl-albert perhaps he can help you if the situation is that MB was produced for Win7 and then win 8 upgraded before you purchase it!

b419kid
04-03-2014, 02:26 PM
I've called Asus before and their bull**** answer was "send it to us and we will re-install windows for you." I'll try again this weekend I guess. But thank you: I'll see about PMing this person.

EDIT: ...how do I PM someone? It doesn't seem obvious. Can I not PM him because he is a MOD?

b419kid
04-03-2014, 02:28 PM
A solution other people mentioned: if I installed using "the same version of windows as Asus did" it should detect a key... how would I obtain the same version?

cl-Albert
04-03-2014, 04:10 PM
EDIT 3: Seems that program, for me, is missing the MSDM option, as seen on screenshots around other forums. Seems necessary for getting the BIOS key. Also, RWEverything (which supposedly can accomplish the same
purpose) doesn't have the "MSDM" tab that contains the bios key for me either.
:(

Haven't looked into this much, but yes, sounds like the programs aren't reading the key from the bios? I thought others found a way to do this though?

perhaps your notebook originally had win7 and at the factory they upgraded it to win 8? if that were the case then you wouldn't have a key embedded in your BIOS?

Since the ASUS download site only posts Win8 and Win8.1 drivers for the G46VW, it doesn't appear it was approved for Win7 or sold with it from ASUS.

I've called Asus before and their bull**** answer was "send it to us and we will re-install windows for you." I'll try again this weekend I guess. But thank you: I'll see about PMing this person.

EDIT: ...how do I PM someone? It doesn't seem obvious. Can I not PM him because he is a MOD?

Yes, send me a PM at cl-Albert and I'll send you some ideas. There shouldn't be any problems to send me a PM and you may want to try to send a PM to Clintlgm too just to confirm you are able to do this.
There are different ways to send PMs, but if you are logged in to the forums and see the 'Welcome b419kid' in the top right of your browser window, check the drop down in the 'Notifications' next to the Log Out option to access your unread messages and mailbox.

Clintlgm
04-03-2014, 07:26 PM
In this thread see post #18 (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/27129-product-key-find-windows-8-a.html)it explains how to extract your embedded product Key,

b419kid
04-03-2014, 07:34 PM
cl-Albert: Thank you. Amazingly clear, detailed, thoughtful answer. Do you work for Asus? :) I shall figure out how to PM you right now.

b419kid
04-03-2014, 07:39 PM
In this thread see post #18 (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/27129-product-key-find-windows-8-a.html)it explains how to extract your embedded product Key,

As with every other "key extraction program" I have tried thus far, "ProduKey" shows only my retail key (the one I own separately from this laptop purchase). The only thing I can think of is that the Asus one which is supposedly hidden in the uefi is still hidden because I initially installed this copy of Win8 with the retail key. (I guess none of the programs are able to detect both? (<--- question mark).

EDIT: Even after uninstalling the key and a reboot the product key programs still find my retail key. I am getting more and more suspicious that I should have installed Windows with a generic MSDM key and then activated
using the key in the bios. Big but though: Why don't these programs find both keys??

b419kid
04-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Yes, send me a PM at cl-Albert and I'll send you some ideas. There shouldn't be any problems to send me a PM and you may want to try to send a PM to Clintlgm too just to confirm you are able to do this.
There are different ways to send PMs, but if you are logged in to the forums and see the 'Welcome b419kid' in the top right of your browser window, check the drop down in the 'Notifications' next to the Log Out option to access your unread messages and mailbox.

All I see is inbox. And when I try to click that I get redirected to Here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/private.php) which tells me the following: :(

"b419kid, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

cl-Albert
04-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Ah, if you just joined the forums, I heard you may need to wait a little bit before you mailbox will become active.

Yes, not sure how I can actually prove it to you, but I am working at an ASUS U.S. office.
Anyway, once you are able to send me a PM, I'll send you more suggestions.

Not sure if you want to spend more time on this, but if you don't mind contacting ASUS support again to request your Win8 product key, thought you might find someone who could help you more with this too?

b419kid
04-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Not sure if you want to spend more time on this, but if you don't mind contacting ASUS support again to request your Win8 product key, thought you might find someone who could help you more with this too?

I was really disenchanted by the support people last time who told me that my only option was to send my laptop in. I may try again this weekend, though if I do, I would give a hard time about it until they give me a key. I am entitled to one, am I not?

EDIT: Just noticed I have a "ASUSVIP" tag on my posts now. Any idea what this is about?

EDIT2: Thanks btw Albert. And everyone. Thanks for the help so far.

EDIT3: Now the vip tag disappeared. lol.

b419kid
04-03-2014, 11:41 PM
I contacted Asus over "ASUS Live Chat Support" and was told basically that it's impossible. However, he offered a free RMA to re-image the computer to factory state. So, at least, if I went that route, it doesn't cost anything. A major inconvenience because I am a college student and they wouldn't be able to deliver the computer to my college box.

In any case, I think it's really bullcrap that I can't re-install **** myself. I had my ticket escalated and supposedly I will be contacted. I wana try to push this as high as possible.

skidoo
04-04-2014, 07:21 AM
I had similar happenings....

I didn't want to send it back to Asus thru RMA etc.
Why a "Image disc" wasn't supplied is beyond me.
Still think ASUS should have a download site for legit NB w/ serial#
Would just make it easier for everyone...no need to mail stuff etc.
everyone wins !!??!!

Granted, I made a mistake and didn't make proper recovery image etc.
But, ASUS could make this whole situation easier for everyone IMO.

b419kid
04-05-2014, 03:08 AM
Windows Eight (http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/) its simple just use a program to extract your key from your BIOS.
Run pkeyui.exe by right clicking on it then choose Run As Administrator, then find your Windows 8 product key and write it down somewhere safe.
Here are the generic Key's that will allow you to install from a retail ISO, they will not activate windows they only allow you to install win 8.1 you need to activate with your embedded legal Key.
Window 8.1 Generic Keys:Windows 8.1 Single Language Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC
Locate yourself a 8.1 ISO and use a generic install only key. Complete the install and use your OEM key to Activate
Use Macrium Reflect or other software to image your hard drive so that you won't have to clean install in the future. I can only speak for MR as it is known to work with window 8 UEFI GPT many others have been used and have failed to be able to recreate a bootable OS. Research the answers are all out there in the stickies at the top of this forum.
If you install the same version of window 8 that your notebook came with it should install using your embedded key. If you use the retail version you will need to use a generic either core or pro license to install and then activate using your embedded key.

Do Windows 8.1 ISOs exist? Can't find one. Did you mean Windows 8?

Clintlgm
04-05-2014, 02:19 PM
I think you can use any DVD/ISO of windows 8.1 you just have to use an install key to install then use your legit window 8 or 8.1 key to Activate the following keys can be used to install only they won't activate only for installing.
Windows 8.1 Single Language Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC

b419kid
04-05-2014, 03:25 PM
I think you can use any DVD/ISO of windows 8.1 or 8 you just have to use an install key to install then use your legit window 8 or 8.1 key to Activate the following keys can be used to install only they won't activate only for installing.
Windows 8.1 Single Language Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC

And you say those keys work for 8 as well?

Clintlgm
04-05-2014, 09:04 PM
I think only 8.1, why would anyone reinstall 8? 8.1 is a free update to all win 8 users your win 8 product key will activate it.
My G75V@ came with win 7 HP, I bought the $14.99 upgrade to Win 8 Pro that was offered to us back then. I didn't use it until they came out with 8.1 and did a clean install of win 8.1 Pro using the Generic Key win 8.1 pro to install and then activated with the upgrade key that was from 7 HP to 8 Pro. At the time I used a RTM ISO

b419kid
04-06-2014, 12:51 AM
Well I couldn't get the extracted key any how. So I am nagging support next.

Clintlgm
04-06-2014, 02:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AMjOWJEMpU Try this, it explains how to get the BIOS embedded rather than the other key you have in stalled which is only in your Registry

b419kid
04-06-2014, 02:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AMjOWJEMpU Try this, it explains how to get the BIOS embedded rather than the other key you have in stalled which is only in your Registry

I've tried this, as I've said. Here's a screenshot detailing my problem. The check box for MSDM isn't there. Is that because I didn't install an OEM version of windows? (I used a Win8 pro disk).

The second screenshot shows only my retail key (which I blacked out). And it doesn't show the MSDM option.

Clintlgm
04-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Well then some how you don't have an embedded key, I've thrown just about everything that has work for everyone else, to you. I've linked you to the Eight forum where window 8 and 8.1 are the only topic of conversion with many certified MS techs helping out there.
You would put the x in the MSDM box requesting the embedded key, rather than the box open for Key stored in the Registry if I understand how this was supposed to work.
You would install a core version to use your embedded key, unless your notebook came with win 8 pro? or you have purchased a Pro license and have the pro key

b419kid
04-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Well then some how you don't have an embedded key, I've thrown just about everything that has work for everyone else, to you. I've linked you to the Eight forum where window 8 and 8.1 are the only topic of conversion with many certified MS techs helping out there.
You would put the x in the MSDM box requesting the embedded key, rather than the box open for Key stored in the Registry if I understand how this was supposed to work.
You would install a core version to use your embedded key, unless your notebook came with win 8 pro? or you have purchased a Pro license and have the pro key

I understand. Not blaming you at all, after all I do really appreciate all your attempts at helping me. I guess the final is: does it matter what version of windows 8 or 8.1 is installed before I run a key extraction program? If not, I am out of luck.

Clintlgm
04-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Well if I understand things correctly, your original factory shipped win 8 core/oem key should be embedded on your motherboard. Any other installation that you supplied a different Product Key for will not be embedded on your motherboard and will only be in your registry. This has been discussed and solved on the eight forums. Somehow your not reading the embedded Key, your only getting the key from the registry. So maybe somehow your Mother Board doesn't have an embedded key?

b419kid
04-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Well if I understand things correctly, your original factory shipped win 8 core/oem key should be embedded on your motherboard. Any other installation that you supplied a different Product Key for will not be embedded on your motherboard and will only be in your registry. This has been discussed and solved on the eight forums. Somehow your not reading the embedded Key, your only getting the key from the registry. So maybe somehow your Mother Board doesn't have an embedded key?

Albert seemed to think this was impossible. As all Windows 8 computers do this now and this computer model (g46vw) wasn't shipped or manufactured to run Win7. And Asus support wouldn't take my observation that "key-extraction-programs-don't-work" as evidence of not having an embedded key.

Dbillman
04-13-2014, 02:31 AM
I did the unthinkable and deleted a partition needed for system restore. I think there is a problem with my 450MB partition. I'm really not sure what it's named.

Chat's always closed and although I've tried to submit a service request, every time I click to choose something from a drop-down the service form disappears.

I ordered restore discs which never came and when I checked the order was cancelled but not by me. I just ordered them again, maybe this time I'll get them.

I hope someone can help me figure out what the partition names/sizes are and maybe even give me a copy of what in them. (SSD) I really miss the day when you bought a computer and the CD/DVD came with it.

My model is G75VW and the partition sizes/names I think are:

System
FAT 32 300MB Basic GPT

Recovery
FS: NTFS Partition: 0x27 600MB (Windows RE, Hidden, PQ, MirOS) Basic GPT

OS (C)
NTFS 94.51GB Basic GPT

-------- <<<<<<<<----------- Don't know what it's called.
FS: NTFS Partition: 0x27 450MB (Windows RE, Hidden, PQ, MirOS) Basic GPT

APPS (D)
NTFS 122.1GB Basic GPT

Restore
FS: NTFS Partition: 0x27 20.1GB (Windows RE, Hidden, PQ, MirOS) Basic GPT

It was very late at night when I backed up the partitions using Acronis and just can't figure out why I didn't do the 450MB with all the others. I'm figuring that's where the problem is having deleted it and now I can't restore it. Could it be as simple as it missing it's partition name?

I don't know if anyone has one of these to get the partition copy from and I don't know of any service centers in the Eastern US. This is a real problem with service, even the smallest issues become nightmares because we can't get service on machines made in Asia.

Any help anyone can give to put me back to where it's factory with all the partitions would be so greatly appreciated!

Clintlgm
04-13-2014, 03:24 AM
OK you have a VW assuming it came with win 7 HP?, you could restore to factory condition with the Recovery disk set you were requested to create when you first got your VW?
Regardless if you NB came with Win 7 or Win 8 it would have been set up UEFI GPT. Acronis has had issues recreating the boot sector on UEFI GPT Disk, unless you created the DISK Image with the latest version or ATH 2014. I'm guessing that this is what your issue was caused buy. The earlier version of ATHI even the first 2 Rev of 2014 could not recreate a booting OS.
Asus only has recovery disk for Windows 7, that cost $50. Much easier to just download Win 7 SP 1 HP from Digital River (http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/)and Clean Install See this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=) for Guides and notes of installing windows. Download your divers from Asus Support Download (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1) And yes you could send it to the service center (http://support.asus.com/contactus.aspx)

This is what My system looks like win 8.1 Pro MC35757

Clintlgm
04-13-2014, 03:34 AM
cl-albert works for Asus so I believe he is correct that no G46 were ever produced with a win 7 MB. I am not sure why you are unable to extract your embedded Key. Again I will refer you to the eight forums (http://www.eightforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=How+to+extract+the+embedded+Key+rather+than+the+ key+in+he+Registry)where there is extensive discussions of how to extract your embedded Key