PDA

View Full Version : Help me upgrade my Atheros WLAN card

pokerface
04-04-2014, 01:05 PM
I have the Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter in my laptop. It can only achieve 72.2 to 150 MBPS max and cannot support 5GHz. networks only 2.4Ghz. networks

2 questions:

1) Is the Atheros Bluetooth that I have also embedded in that card? like are they 2 in 1 usually or is the Bluetooth a separate chipset on its own

2) What would be a good upgrade? please give me the link or preferable a link on Amazon.com so I can order it that would be compatibl with my laptop

3) Is it an easy job to switch on my own or would that void the warranty and I have to take the laptop to the service center?

gazzacbr
04-04-2014, 02:10 PM
hi,
try to search a bit more...
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45684-Broadcom-wifi-details&country=&status=

thats what i am going to do but just need to check the exact model of the broadcom card, looks like it is the Azurewave Broadcom BCM4352 (see hmscott answer)
1. yes, you will need a card with BT if you want to keep it
2. see above
3. easyish, if you are careful. its only screws. yes you will lose your warrenty.

let us know if you decide to take it to a service center and which model they put in

pokerface
04-04-2014, 03:16 PM
I read that some BIOS don't allow other WLAN cards to be used so this makes it trickier to pick one. Thus, I would love to know if someone has upgraded the WLAN card on the G750 successfully and which one was it

pokerface
04-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Will this ( Bigfoot Networks KillerN-1202 Notebook Wireless Card (http://www.amazon.com/Bigfoot-Networks-KillerN-1202-Notebook-Wireless/dp/B008H5V9ZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396625605&sr=8-1&keywords=Killer+Wireless-N+1202) ) work? and will the Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application v1.0.37.1274 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/WLAN/WLAN_QualcommAtheros_Win81_64_VER10371274.zip) work?

I see the card I linked above is made by Barefoot yet the driver is from Atheros. Did Qualcomm/Atheros buy Barefoot or what? Because I know that ASUS puts those WLAN cards in some of their laptops

In the reviews of that card, many users complain about frequent disconnections so I'm not sure anymore

MrRuckus
04-04-2014, 07:41 PM
I have that big foot card in my machine and it works great, it should work in any G750 model. I haven't experienced any kind of drops. Any Network card should work really, I haven't heard of any limitations on Asus laptops anyway. I upgraded my previous G74 to a Intel Ultimate N without issue.

If you get that card, I would just download the drivers from Asus's website for the G750JH. Qualcomm did buy bigfoot networks sometime ago if I remember right.

EDIT: I was hesitant about the bigfoot card and remember the severely overpriced "Killer NIC" from sometime ago. But its actually not a bad device and comes with some nice apps with the drivers. I have an ASUS PCE-AC68 PCI Express Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Adapter for my desktop and was surprised that the Bigfoot card can get just about the same amount of bandwidth to it as the above card can on a quality N router.

pokerface
04-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Awesome! that makes me feel better. I have ordered it and will wait till its shipped to meh, then I'll take it to the ASUS Service Center to have them install it for me coz I don't know how to open the laptop other than the back panel.

So you're saying that the Atheros driver should work (alabeit the N-Killer version which I linked above)

What about the integrated Bluetooth? continue to use the same Atheros Bluetooth Driver as I used before? they're the same?

gazzacbr
04-30-2014, 10:07 AM
Hi,
update from me on this one.
got the Broadcom card delivered a few days ago and sent a request to Asus Dubai to get it installed.
answer was:
"Thank you for contacting ASUS. Unfortunately ASUS can not provide any hardware upgrades due to ASUS policy. Please be advised that doing so, you could invalidate your warranty. We are sorry for the inconveniece caused.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Patrick K
ASUS UK Support Team"

er, so thats that then?

will just have to wait for the warranty to run out then (september for mine i think)

pokerface
04-30-2014, 01:04 PM
I upgraded mine and it works perfectly, screw ASUS and their warranty

halnala
05-20-2014, 06:51 AM
Hi pokerface, does your new killer N network card connect at 300mbps?

I am a fellow G750JX owner and I am considering to upgrade the wifi card too. Any feedback and known issues would be great reference for me. Thank you.

HomieOC
05-20-2014, 06:57 AM
KIller N that caME IN MY brand new g750 JZ gets 300 Mbps on wireless connection only.

gazzacbr
05-20-2014, 08:15 AM
I upgraded mine and it works perfectly, screw ASUS and their warranty

thanks for the info.
hopefully you dont need the warranty...

halnala
05-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Thanks HomieOC! I am double checking because the current atheros card is only single stream and max out at 150mbps connection on 2.4ghz @ 40mhz.

The atheros is a very sad card for a gaming notebook I paid USD 1.8k or 1.3k equivalent for..

pokerface
06-17-2014, 04:44 AM
Just upgraded to the Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless and now I get 866 mbps connection this thing even smokes the Wireless N Killer since it uses connects @ AC speed instead of N speed:

http://i58.tinypic.com/23sjeo4.jpg

gazzacbr
06-17-2014, 11:47 AM
@pokerface: thanks for the update. thats a cracking speed.
did you have any problems installing the card?
mines still in the box waiting for the warranty to finish :(
also, what router do you have?

pokerface
06-17-2014, 09:48 PM
@pokerface: thanks for the update. thats a cracking speed.
did you have any problems installing the card?
mines still in the box waiting for the warranty to finish :(
also, what router do you have?

warranty farranty, LOL I couldn't wait till I get rid of that Atheros card which only connected @ 72 MBPS, horrible for such a high end gaming laptop to put such low quality junk.

I voided my warranty, to be honest, I never had to use warranty but I'm a risk taker so don't listen to me.

My router is an ASUS RT-AC68U

My WiFi speed now is almost as fast a a LAN Gigabit connection which is usually @ 1 GBPS :)

gazzacbr
08-04-2014, 08:34 AM
warranty farranty,...so don't listen to me.

lol, yes, point taken.
so i changed out mine last weekend and bought a new Belkin DS1750 dual band router :)
i was going to (simply) replace the dvd drive with a hard disk but it just would line up properly so decided to take apart the laptop and do the wifi swap at the same time.
30min job being ultra careful knowing how fragile (read cheap) the asus plastic tags are.

now i have the same connection speed, 866, on 5Ghz.
even works at 5Ghz on mavericks,
and LInux Mint

ticking the box on this one as a success ;)