PDA

View Full Version : G750JH-DB71 Multiple Monitors

timrbetts
04-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Hello my friends.

I've had this awesome laptop for a while now, but now about to start using it for a golf swing video analysis. I have attached 2 100fps cameras to a USB 3.0 hub which is connected to one of the USB 3.0 ports. I have nothing else using USB 3.0 on the laptop except a HP bluetooth dongle, but I could get rid of that I'm sure since the laptop has bluetooth built in. Anyway, just wanted to give some USB 3.0 background in case it was important.

Anyway, I'm would like to connect my laptop to a large-ish (46-55") wall-mounted HDTV (for both TV and as a 2nd extended desktop monitor) and a typical 23-27" monitor at floor level, and I need your advice as to the best performing way to do that. I may also use my laptop's screen as a third monitor but most likely it will always have the lid closed and I will only need to extend the desktop across one or both of the LCD's above.

I've researched somewhat already and ideally I'm trying to avoid anything that requires an additional USB 3.0 connection to the laptop so as not to compete with the high speed camera bandwidth, but of course powering using a USB power adapter is an option.

I'm also not sure if the thunderbolt port on this laptop is displayport or not, but seems like both the TV and LCD would also have to be displayport and thats not very likely, although I like the idea of using the 10Gps thunderbolt connection as a multiple display adapter and that it would use a separate pipe from the USB 3.0 controller. Perhaps there is some thunderbolt multiple monitor display adapter?

I've looked at the Matrox DualHead2Go (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815106016) and others by Matrox and seems like the VGA input to 2 DVI output model might be the way to go as long as it can be powered externally from the laptop and the lag is not terrible or I get other problems with the image.

Any advice on the best setup would be really helpful to me.

Cheers -- Tim.

MrRuckus
04-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Here:
http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=display+port+to+HDMI

I would hook one to the built in HDMI, and the other to a Mini Displayport to HDMI converter. Done.

timrbetts
04-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks man. I guess I wasn't sure if the thunderbolt port on this model was also a fully functioning displayport? Has anyone truly verified that is the case before I spend money and time down the converter path?

Alternatively of course I realized that I could just use the VGA out for the 2nd monitor/tv, but I'm assuming the displayport to HDMI converter would be a better option if is does indeed work?

Cheers -- Tim.

hmscott
04-09-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks man. I guess I wasn't sure if the thunderbolt port on this model was also a fully functioning displayport? Has anyone truly verified that is the case before I spend money and time down the converter path?
Alternatively of course I realized that I could just use the VGA out for the 2nd monitor/tv, but I'm assuming the displayport to HDMI converter would be a better option if is does indeed work?
Cheers -- Tim.

Best would be to invest in a new monitor with DisplayPort input, an inexpensive 2k/4k monitor - the prices are dropping, and HDMI 1080p is soon to become medium to low resolution :)

The Asus PB278Q 27" works with the G750JH DisplayPort
http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Monitors_Projectors/PB278Q/

The Asus PB278Q isn't cheap, but it isn't too expensive either, at newegg.com for $499
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

themeonster
04-09-2014, 11:15 PM
I have tested the Thunderbolt port as a DisplayPort on my G750JH-DB71 and can confirm that it works.

hmscott
04-09-2014, 11:42 PM
I have tested the Thunderbolt port as a DisplayPort on my G750JH-DB71 and can confirm that it works.

Which monitor do you use?

themeonster
04-10-2014, 01:27 AM
It was actually an apple mini DP to VGA adapter connected to a projector. I believe it was a Panasonic.

hmscott
04-10-2014, 03:07 AM
It was actually an apple mini DP to VGA adapter connected to a projector. I believe it was a Panasonic.

themeonster, cool, as I recall the projector I connected to was only 1280x960, not even 1080p, I was hoping you might have used a higher resolution monitor/projector.

The DisplayPort on the G750 is the highest resolution interface. It works on a 2k monitor; has anyone connected the G750 DisplayPort to a 4k Monitor?

gazzacbr
04-10-2014, 05:50 AM
never mind, i was wrong...

gazzacbr
04-10-2014, 08:36 AM
@hmscott: ah, really. i am not keeping up to date on posts then ;)
off topic now...
(previous post edited)

timrbetts
04-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks my brothers for all advice. I think I'm going low-tech road for now and just going to use the HDMI and VGA out combo. It actually should meet my needs just fine. Great to confirmation that the thunderbolt port is a displayport though. Very cool. Thanks again. Cheers -- Tim.