PDA

View Full Version : Urgent. Is the G74 a reliable notebook?

Domenikhos
10-03-2011, 01:51 AM
Hello.

I will be brief with this dilemma. A couple of weeks ago I was completely certain about buying this laptop, but just some minutes ago I stumbled upon a thread where many users were claiming to be having issues with their G74.

This laptop is adequate to my needs, so that is besides the point. I need to buy a laptop urgently and I'm on a rush right now. This is one of my main options.

I want this laptop to last me at least three years, and I would like to know if it's reliable equipment. I'm mostly afraid of issues that have no way around them that could cripple up the machine. I don't live in the US, so I cannot afford the luxury of receiving faulty equipment because I'm doubtful about international warranty.

What are the main problems with the G74?
Did you experience problems right out of the box?
Did you have to return it?

Thanks in advance.

G74sxpoo
10-03-2011, 03:27 AM
NO. The keypad is all messed up. It may seem like a small thing, but TRUST ME you will get bitten by it when you need it.

ASUS *says* its fixed buy way to many people do not have keypad mappings for apps and games.

TILL ITS FIXED DON'T BUY AN ASUS.

Plus the official method of flashing your BIOS will break your laptop REQUIRING it to RMAd for repair.

The G74SX is a joke. Its 2011 and problems like this should not be happening.

Yahooligan
10-03-2011, 03:29 AM
You've got 2 threads going with the same title, you may want to delete the other. ;)

Reading here, some people have had issues after performing a BIOS update, others have had issues upgrading to SSDs...

Personally, mine was awesome out of the box. As typical, I checked for updated drivers on ASUS' website and made sure everything was up to date. I've had zero problems with mine, it's been awesome and is easily the best PC I've owned. Granted, I've only had it a couple of weeks but it's been flawless in that time and it's my primary PC. I use it for Photoshop/Lightroom, gaming, and general work productivity (MS Office). I'd definitely buy one again.

I also purchased an extended warranty from Squaretrade, great price.

G74sxpoo
10-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Your numpad is working as a numpad? You have a numlock? Any $10 keyboard has that solved. These $1500+ laptops do not. I'd like to return mine but its been to long.

Yahooligan
10-03-2011, 03:36 AM
NO. The keypad is all messed up. It may seem like a small thing, but TRUST ME you will get bitten by it when you need it.

ASUS *says* its fixed buy way to many people do not have keypad mappings for apps and games.

TILL ITS FIXED DON'T BUY AN ASUS.

Plus the official method of flashing your BIOS will break your laptop REQUIRING it to RMAd for repair.

The G74SX is a joke. Its 2011 and problems like this should not be happening.

Strange, I updated by BIOS to 202 with no problem whatsoever.

Obviously there are going to be people out there with problems, but that's the case with every laptop. None of them are flawless and, honestly, ASUS is one brand I've bought and trusted for decades. You could buy an Alienware m17 with the same specs...for twice the money.

Not every one has problems with their G74, and being the internet/forums, people seek out places to ask about problems or vent and that being the case forums such as these aren't always a good barometer of what the majority of users experience.

To the OP, I do understand being outside the US it can be a royal pain and wanting to get a good, solid platform. Question is, if not the G74 then what would you get? What are you going to use it for?

Yahooligan
10-03-2011, 03:39 AM
Your numpad is working as a numpad? You have a numlock? Any $10 keyboard has that solved. These $1500+ laptops do not. I'd like to return mine but its been to long.

Yes, I'm typing on the laptop keyboard right now. Here's the output from my keypad...

0.123456+789/*-

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I know what you're talking about, there not being a numlock button. I never use my keypad for gaming so I don't have a problem with being unable to turn it on or off.

G74sxpoo
10-03-2011, 05:02 AM
Yes, Windows assigned every key a code. A generic $10 keyboard had different codes for the numbers across the top and the numbers that make up the numpad digits. So then you play a game or map a macro in an application the keypress for the number '1' at the top of the keyboard is DIFFERENT than the code sent then your press the '1' on the keypad. Right now most people cannot use the keypad to do anything useful because the G74SX POS only returns one code (the code from the top of the keypad) for BOTH keys.

Its a HUGE issue to people who use laptops for more than email and surfing (and games). I have a dozen of macros that I cannot use in office because the numpad keycode i s not being generated.

Antigen
10-03-2011, 12:00 PM
numpad "issue" has never botered me. nor did I notice it in any way. I get that it causes you frustration but to a user like me i havent noticed it once.

that being said, i had an issue with high latency on the laptop but that was - in the end - easily fixed. i love the way it runs, cools and renders games. not to mention the way it looks. its awesome

JRd1st
10-03-2011, 12:10 PM
In my case it's a great piece of hardware. BUT you need to update a few drivers or you will have problems. There's also some bloatware you'll want to uninstall.

Besides that, it's an AWESOME laptop, IMHO.

grungeboy2
10-03-2011, 04:46 PM
if it matters at all, my G51vx has been extremely reliable. no issues whatsoever.

blackbow
10-03-2011, 09:40 PM

Seriously? I updated my BIOS with no problems whatsoever, and this is my first Windows machine ever, having always used Macs. So... no. :rolleyes:

I love my machine (G74SX-A1), and recommend it highly.

Domenikhos
10-03-2011, 09:52 PM
You've got 2 threads going with the same title, you may want to delete the other. ;)

Reading here, some people have had issues after performing a BIOS update, others have had issues upgrading to SSDs...

Personally, mine was awesome out of the box. As typical, I checked for updated drivers on ASUS' website and made sure everything was up to date. I've had zero problems with mine, it's been awesome and is easily the best PC I've owned. Granted, I've only had it a couple of weeks but it's been flawless in that time and it's my primary PC. I use it for Photoshop/Lightroom, gaming, and general work productivity (MS Office). I'd definitely buy one again.

I also purchased an extended warranty from Squaretrade, great price.

I am aware of the double thread. I was having issues with the forums at the time and it posted twice.

Strange, I updated by BIOS to 202 with no problem whatsoever.

Obviously there are going to be people out there with problems, but that's the case with every laptop. None of them are flawless and, honestly, ASUS is one brand I've bought and trusted for decades. You could buy an Alienware m17 with the same specs...for twice the money.

Not every one has problems with their G74, and being the internet/forums, people seek out places to ask about problems or vent and that being the case forums such as these aren't always a good barometer of what the majority of users experience.

To the OP, I do understand being outside the US it can be a royal pain and wanting to get a good, solid platform. Question is, if not the G74 then what would you get? What are you going to use it for?

The laptop that I'm contemplating is an HP dv7-6187cl (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02863106&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5118769). In regards of my options, I was planning on using the laptop for basically everything. I am a gamer and I have always wanted to try PC gaming as an alternative to console gaming, this is one of the reasons why I was looking at the G74.

The G73SW was also in mind, but my contact in the US told me that either one of those was taken out of the store due to Blu Ray burner common malfunctions. He simply didn't specify which model (G74, or G73SW).

I remember when the G73JH was released. I wanted to get my hands on one so badly, but then the amount of problems people were having with it made me think twice about it. I cannot recall other models, but I think the SW model was released after the JH that supposedly solved some of the issues the JH had, but the Blu Ray burner problem makes me doubt and the model was taken out of online catalogues of some retailers and it still had issues.

I was going to buy my G74 in Sams Club, but turns out it has been taken out of their online catalogue too when it was there only a few weeks ago. Maybe it's something more specific to the store.

I'd like to read sincere answers and testimonies regarding this laptop. I'm mainly into this laptop because of gaming, but it'll be used for everything else, too. Feel free to suggest other gaming laptops within the same price range (1,000 - 1,300)

Thanks for the comments so far, and thanks in advance.

Yahooligan
10-03-2011, 11:00 PM
The laptop that I'm contemplating is an HP dv7-6187cl (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02863106&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5118769). In regards of my options, I was planning on using the laptop for basically everything. I am a gamer and I have always wanted to try PC gaming as an alternative to console gaming, this is one of the reasons why I was looking at the G74.

My wife has a dv7-4087cl which has been problem-free. It's not spec'd as high as the one you're looking at, but it's been a good laptop. My only complaint is the fans are LOUD whenever she does anything even mildly CPU-intensive. I suspect the one you're looking at will be the same way. My G74 is virtually silent under all conditions. The HP also has a lower-spec GPU, but it's not bad. Should still be able to do everything you want, just not as well as the 460M or 560M in the ASUS laptops.

The G73SW was also in mind, but my contact in the US told me that either one of those was taken out of the store due to Blu Ray burner common malfunctions. He simply didn't specify which model (G74, or G73SW).

I remember when the G73JH was released. I wanted to get my hands on one so badly, but then the amount of problems people were having with it made me think twice about it. I cannot recall other models, but I think the SW model was released after the JH that supposedly solved some of the issues the JH had, but the Blu Ray burner problem makes me doubt and the model was taken out of online catalogues of some retailers and it still had issues.

I was in the same boat, but then decided I'd get the G53 when the time came. When I was ready, the G74 was out and I went with that instead. No regrets. Anyone comparing the G73's problems to the G74 without owning one or both is talking out of their behind, IMO. It would be like someone saying that because the Ford PowerStroke 6.0L was a pile a garbage that the new 6.7L is also garbage simply because they're both Ford PowerStroke engines.

I was going to buy my G74 in Sams Club, but turns out it has been taken out of their online catalogue too when it was there only a few weeks ago. Maybe it's something more specific to the store.

I'd like to read sincere answers and testimonies regarding this laptop. I'm mainly into this laptop because of gaming, but it'll be used for everything else, too. Feel free to suggest other gaming laptops within the same price range (1,000 - 1,300)

Thanks for the comments so far, and thanks in advance.

Sam's Club is a great place to buy if you can, that's where I bought my wife's HP. Tacked on their 3 year service plan, got an extra year for being a Plus member, and ended up with 5 years of coverage for really cheap. (1yr mfr, the Sam's Club plan picks up when the mfr warranty runs out, so 1+4 years).

I'm sure either one will do well for you, but if you care about noise then I would stick to a laptop that's geared towards working hard and staying cool. The HP sounds like a jet engine and, in fact, I have had her HP shutdown due to overheating caused by dust restricting airflow through the radiator.

Domenikhos
10-04-2011, 12:46 AM
My wife has a dv7-4087cl which has been problem-free. It's not spec'd as high as the one you're looking at, but it's been a good laptop. My only complaint is the fans are LOUD whenever she does anything even mildly CPU-intensive. I suspect the one you're looking at will be the same way. My G74 is virtually silent under all conditions. The HP also has a lower-spec GPU, but it's not bad. Should still be able to do everything you want, just not as well as the 460M or 560M in the ASUS laptops.

I was in the same boat, but then decided I'd get the G53 when the time came. When I was ready, the G74 was out and I went with that instead. No regrets. Anyone comparing the G73's problems to the G74 without owning one or both is talking out of their behind, IMO. It would be like someone saying that because the Ford PowerStroke 6.0L was a pile a garbage that the new 6.7L is also garbage simply because they're both Ford PowerStroke engines.

Sam's Club is a great place to buy if you can, that's where I bought my wife's HP. Tacked on their 3 year service plan, got an extra year for being a Plus member, and ended up with 5 years of coverage for really cheap. (1yr mfr, the Sam's Club plan picks up when the mfr warranty runs out, so 1+4 years).

I'm sure either one will do well for you, but if you care about noise then I would stick to a laptop that's geared towards working hard and staying cool. The HP sounds like a jet engine and, in fact, I have had her HP shutdown due to overheating caused by dust restricting airflow through the radiator.

While I agree that talking about something you have not much knowledge about is not credible, I don't think this is the case. If you were referring to me, I was simply putting in question what I knew about the problems some of the G7 series have had merely based on reviews and testimonies. This is expensive equipement and it isn't a casual investment. I think it's completely fair to speculate.

I have had past experiences with HP laptops and they are noisy. In fact, my old laptop was an HP that lasted me four years. The GPU and the CPU would reach 100 C idle. It actually died from overheating.

I want to be sure with this purchase, that is all. As I have mentioned, I cannot afford the luxury of receiving faulty equipment and return it at will.

Also, more testimonies are welcome.

Yahooligan
10-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Sorry, no, I wasn't referring to you at all. :) There are others on the forums that will be quick to speak negatively about the G74 without actually owning one and basing its worth purely on the G73's history.

Anyone that has issues, or says there are issues, with the G74 should be able to give full details on the problem and resolution. Those that simply say "it's crap" without qualifying their statement are the ones I would take with a grain of salt.

If ASUS weren't an option I would probably go with Alienware, but considering their price I would likely never buy one and would instead end up doing what I've done previously; Build my own desktop and use a cheap laptop for basic tasks while away from home. There are other gaming laptops out there priced similarly to the ASUS G-series but I haven't had experience with them to know if they're any good. MSI, Sager, and others.

Again, nothing wrong with the HP either.

Forgot to mention, I have a local retailer (Fry's Electronics) that sells the G74SX-XR1. That also made my decision a bit easier, I dislike the idea of ordering big-ticket items online and dealing with shipping back and forth for returns, etc in case there are problems or it's not what I expected.

Good luck in your search!

Naits
10-04-2011, 01:18 AM
simplest answer ever: No, it's not. Don't buy it :) it sucks.

grungeboy2
10-04-2011, 02:19 AM
to be honest, the g73 seems to have far fewer problems, but that's likley due to it being out longer.

the g74 is a solid machine. hard to beat it on paper. computer gaming is a bit different than console gaming. we like to fiddle more.

that laptop (G74) will run everything that's out and everything that's going to come out for the next several years. gaming on a funky computer/laptop is inferior to gaming on a xbox360. gaming on a gaming machine on the other hand is worlds better.

on the other laptop route. loads of manufacturers make good laptops. they all come down to the same basic design and layout tho, so it's really up to you to find the one that gives you the best stuff with that layout and design.

alienware's are very nice. backed by dell (for good and bad), and in high end configs, can't be beat. most of them have card's that are upgradeable (for better prices than the Asus video cards). of note is the m14x which can be had for around $1000 with the base config. it's a very nice laptop, if it was a upgrade from my g51 i might think about it, but truth is it's got about the same power, but way better battery life, and if properly configured a better cpu. geforce 555m doesn't excite me tho.

a hundred bucks will let me put a better cpu in this and grab a new battery.

asus is making some good deals, i don't think i'd order one of the super high end configs, just because by that point you might as well have gotten a alienware. the real selling point of Asus's G-Series is that they have killer laptop models for $1000-1500.

now once you're spending $2000 or more, meh.

personally to me, spending that much on a laptop is just not a good idea. most laptops have their lifetime within about 5 years or so. once 5 years is up, there's better stuff to be had for $1000 anyway. now the way my laptop has lasted so far, i'm sure after it's 5 years old it'll still be working great (might need another new battery by then), but at that point i'll probably give it to my dad to use and buy something else.

Zing Freelancer
10-04-2011, 07:32 AM
I had mine for about 3 weeks now.
Taking aside "baby-problems" when I just got it, it have been working just fine.
I even went to the extend of purchasing SSD disk (which caused most of the problems to begin with, blame vertex 3 for it).

Keyboard is somewhat sluggish, but you get used to it, might need to adjust mouse pads sensitivity down a litte. G74SX got plenty of performance power.

adymitruk
10-04-2011, 08:15 AM
SSD drive was my only issue. Until I pinpointed it to that, I thought there was something wrong with the laptop. But it was the SSD and when I got the latest firmware for the drive, and updated the bios (just in case), everything has been 100% reliable. I also got the latest beta NVidia drivers to play Battlefield 3 (there's a 33% performance improvement!)

I would highly recommend this machine. My last ASUS laptop I bought 7 years ago and is still perfectly fine. I don't run windows on it anymore but Ubuntu. All hardware provided by ASUS runs fine with Linux. In 6+ years' time, I know I can rely on this machine still being around. I doubt it will be running Windows at that point though :)

I bought a Dell 3 years ago and it packed it in. Overheating, etc. Just a piece of crap. I went straight back to ASUS to replace it with this machine. Owning Sony, Dell, Asus and Toshiba in the past, ASUS has been the workhorse with the fewest problems of any of them.

This thing is silent, feels cool (no overheating what's so ever) and incredibly fast with an awesome screen. There's no vents underneath - they are on the back. So you can set it on anything and it keeps cool. Switching harddrives or adding memory is a breeze.

Best laptop I've ever owned and I've owned a few. Definitely put in an SSD. I went with the Patriot Pyro 240GB and put one of the drives it came with as an external one. (You can get a case with usb connectors for $10-$20). Make sure to blast the SSD with the new 3.3.0 firmware as the previous versions have issues with Hibernation and Sleeping. This happens no matter what laptop you put that drive in. But with the latest, it's just fine.

Windows 7 Ultimate boots up in 20 seconds - goes over 500MB/s for reads. :)

Thorn2011
10-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Not sure what some people are going on about, 3 weeks on since I bought my G74SX and no problems so far! Asus are pretty reliable my last laptop was an Asus and I had that for 4 years, not one breakdown or issue and I only upgraded to a G74 as a desktop replacement option because my desktop broke down again!

Fast? You bet it is, I play Battlefield2 BC and Stalker CS in 1920X1080 with everything on high without any slowdowns! Not bad for a laptop eh? My advice stick with Asus and stick with the G74.

G74sxpoo
10-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Don't forget that coming out of hibernate is iffy. I had to disable it when I closed the lid.. to often it simply never woke up, requiring a power off reboot, and loss of work.

The keyboard issue IS a big issue. For games and for productivity. Call of Duty cannot be played with the numpad (I'm left handed to I shoot with a mouse in my left hand and move with my right on the numpad... well, I did until the G74.

And your battery *might* last two hours. And if you put the laptop into 'battery mode' you risk a hibernate and not waking up.

$1500 laptops should not have these issues. At work I use IBM T60s and they are flawless.

xeromist
10-05-2011, 04:10 PM
And your battery *might* last two hours.

This is pretty common on high performance laptops. Do you know of a machine that offers the same level of performance with better battery life?

grungeboy2
10-05-2011, 07:35 PM
the g53?

the alienware m14x is a tad weaker but much improved battery-wise.

xeromist
10-05-2011, 07:49 PM
the g53?

the alienware m14x is a tad weaker but much improved battery-wise.

Good point. I suppose it depends on whether the buyer considers screen size to be an issue either smaller OR bigger. Also the life while gaming vs something else could vary quite a bit.

For the purposes of that question just pretend I asked if he knows of any other 17" laptop with the same gaming performance but better battery life while gaming :)

Thorn2011
10-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Don't forget that coming out of hibernate is iffy. I had to disable it when I closed the lid.. to often it simply never woke up, requiring a power off reboot, and loss of work.

The keyboard issue IS a big issue. For games and for productivity. Call of Duty cannot be played with the numpad (I'm left handed to I shoot with a mouse in my left hand and move with my right on the numpad... well, I did until the G74.

And your battery *might* last two hours. And if you put the laptop into 'battery mode' you risk a hibernate and not waking up.

$1500 laptops should not have these issues. At work I use IBM T60s and they are flawless.

Never had any of these issues with my G74SX, and 2 hours is pretty good for such a beefy laptop, my old one was lucky to get 45 mins before it zonked out. Keyboard issues? I don't get that either, my numpad works fine, I game with the arrows and mouse combo at any rate?

grungeboy2
10-06-2011, 04:10 AM
i was looking today, for the price the asus g74 can't be beat.

alienware is like at least 1500-1800 to get a 17" with the 560m. more if you want a 580m. i'm sure it doesn't get the battery life that the asus gets.

now if you wanted better battery life out of a smaller laptop, that's possible. getting one the same size, the same features, better battery life? not gonna happen.

Thorn2011
10-06-2011, 12:19 PM
i was looking today, for the price the asus g74 can't be beat.

alienware is like at least 1500-1800 to get a 17" with the 560m. more if you want a 580m. i'm sure it doesn't get the battery life that the asus gets.

now if you wanted better battery life out of a smaller laptop, that's possible. getting one the same size, the same features, better battery life? not gonna happen.

Yeah thats what I found too, was originally looking at the M17x but found that once I added on everything I wanted to match the G74 including Graphics and Memory and HD's I was going to spend upwards of 500 dollars more... for what? Since I already had an Asus before (F5RL) it was a no-brainer getting the G74SX and Im very glad I did!

G74sxpoo
10-07-2011, 05:00 PM
You have the numpad issue. The update does not fix it... it addressed the sluggishness of typing a key and the having it display. The numpad is critical because NUMPAD 1 is a completely different keyscan code than the '1' across the top.

Many applications allow you to map say shift-keypad-1 to a macro. You cannot do that with the G74.. its sees shift-keypad-1 as the same code as shift-1. Basically you lose 10 keys off the keyboard.

As for the one or two people that say they are not having any issues... read these forums... they are full of the same complaints. Most have simply accepted that nothing can be done till yet *another* BIOS comes out, and risk bricking the laptop with *another* flash.

Before I got the G74 I had an HOP for all of 10 hours but the graphics chip would not switch from 'econo-mode' to game mode... and that was supposed to be the big selling point. So yeah, if a laptop doesn't work it goes back. I've had the G74 to long to return it or I would.. I simply didn't fire up Corel or CoD soon enough (it sat for a week while I was away).

Chastity@ASUS
10-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Actually, I was just testing the 202 BIOS, and Shift+Numpad # = the Numlock toggle version, aka Shift+Numpad 1 = End :sigh: