PDA

View Full Version : G750JX VS G750JM (770m vs 860m)

WinterMisha
04-10-2014, 04:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFKVIs8EUjU&feature=youtu.be

hmscott
04-10-2014, 05:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFKVIs8EUjU&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the awesome video WinterMisha, it was very well done for a phone camera video :)

When you first started, my first thought was, hey that Left laptop doesn't have any light bleed! The one on the Right had a little. Then you got close and viewed from the side on the Left laptop, and I could then see some light bleed. It seems the JX you have has less bleed than the JM straight on!

I like dark screens too, and the way I get around it is to use the NASA Night Launch Theme for Firefox:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=547498

I use a normal colorful background, dark green forest usually. And, I set dark themes for everything else I use too. I hate the bright screen in a dark room. Using a colorful background kills the edge lit bleed for me, I don't notice it at all. And, the dark themes, without going with a completely black desktop works best overall for me.

The speed/performance of the laptops, and heat, might be due to system settings, and the environment.

Do you have both laptops set to a Power Plan that sets the CPU utilization to Low/High of 0%/100%, or are those settings at least identical? If the JM is set to High Performance plan and JX is set to Balanced that would give the JM the performance edge, and generate more heat. Both laptops need to have the same CPU utilization curve to match for testing.

It looks like both laptops are up against a wall, both close enough to reflect back the vented heat from the back of each laptop. After a while they can generate a hot area from which the laptops are drawing in their waste heat, keeping the temperature up. Also the JX has it's CPU vent port angled to the wall away from the laptop, and the JM has the CPU vent closer to the wall and reflecting back into the laptop.

I thought the 860m was going to do worse than the 770m, so if you can check the Power plan CPU settings and get them to match if they aren't, and please let us know how they compare then - if not matching now.

I ran BF4 BETA on the JX, and got 50-80fps frame rates, here are my BF4 settings from that time.

Thanks again for the cool Video :)

sasuke256
04-10-2014, 11:22 PM
nice video !
install intel XTU in the JM and it will be cool like the JX ;) as you can see in the video the JX in running 45W TDP unlike the JM which is @ 55W :)

arkejn
04-11-2014, 12:16 AM
That's why I'm glad I've got the G56 with IPS, no problem with LED backlight ;)

WinterMisha
04-11-2014, 12:03 PM
nice video !
install intel XTU in the JM and it will be cool like the JX ;) as you can see in the video the JX in running 45W TDP unlike the JM which is @ 55W :)
Hi can you tell me a little bit more about this Intel XTU?Do i just instal it on my laptop?or i have to do something particular with it?
What if i install it on my JX?is it going to be cooler?
thanks

WinterMisha
04-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the awesome video WinterMisha, it was very well done for a phone camera video :)

When you first started, my first thought was, hey that Left laptop doesn't have any light bleed! The one on the Right had a little. Then you got close and viewed from the side on the Left laptop, and I could then see some light bleed. It seems the JX you have has less bleed than the JM straight on!

I like dark screens too, and the way I get around it is to use the NASA Night Launch Theme for Firefox:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=547498

I use a normal colorful background, dark green forest usually. And, I set dark themes for everything else I use too. I hate the bright screen in a dark room. Using a colorful background kills the edge lit bleed for me, I don't notice it at all. And, the dark themes, without going with a completely black desktop works best overall for me.

The speed/performance of the laptops, and heat, might be due to system settings, and the environment.

Do you have both laptops set to a Power Plan that sets the CPU utilization to Low/High of 0%/100%, or are those settings at least identical? If the JM is set to High Performance plan and JX is set to Balanced that would give the JM the performance edge, and generate more heat. Both laptops need to have the same CPU utilization curve to match for testing.

It looks like both laptops are up against a wall, both close enough to reflect back the vented heat from the back of each laptop. After a while they can generate a hot area from which the laptops are drawing in their waste heat, keeping the temperature up. Also the JX has it's CPU vent port angled to the wall away from the laptop, and the JM has the CPU vent closer to the wall and reflecting back into the laptop.

I thought the 860m was going to do worse than the 770m, so if you can check the Power plan CPU settings and get them to match if they aren't, and please let us know how they compare then - if not matching now.

I ran BF4 BETA on the JX, and got 50-80fps frame rates, here are my BF4 settings from that time.

Thanks again for the cool Video :)
Hello
I Play on a kitchen table yesterday where is no wall and its the same thing...Maybe will make video about it to show u...
Both Laptops running on 100% Power4Gear High Performance...
With out ANTIALIASING DEFFERRED and ANTIALIASING POST on MEDIUM i have exactly the same FPS
Thank you

sasuke256
04-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Hi can you tell me a little bit more about this Intel XTU?Do i just instal it on my laptop?or i have to do something particular with it?
What if i install it on my JX?is it going to be cooler?
thanks
Well the Intel Xtrem Tuning Utility allows you to drop a little bit the voltage of you CPU like -25mV in order to win 4 or may be more in load and idle..
The CPU should run cooler on the JM.. They redesigned the heatsink a little bit as far I remember.

hmscott
04-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Hello
I Play on a kitchen table yesterday where is no wall and its the same thing...Maybe will make video about it to show u...
Both Laptops running on 100% Power4Gear High Performance...
With out ANTIALIASING DEFFERRED and ANTIALIASING POST on MEDIUM i have exactly the same FPS
Thank you

You don't need to use the Power4Gear High Performance Power plan, or even the Windows High Performance Power plan for everyday use, just for benchmarking. Keeping the CPU at 100% all the time generates a lot of heat, and causes the CPU fan to spin up and down all the time even on light use.

Try using the Windows Balanced Power Plan. And, set the CPU utilization/speed to 0%/100%. For the most part the performance will be the same on demand, but at idle and under lower loads the temperatures will drop quite a bit, and the fan won't run as often - and the fan won't spin up for light use.

FYI, I uninstall the Power4Gear software because it keeps setting the Power Plan back to the Power4Gear plan when I tried to set it to another plan.

Switching to battery causes Power 4 Gear to switch to Power 4 Gear Power Saving mode which locks the CPU speed low too.

I found both the Windows Balanced and Windows High Performance plans did the same as the Power4Gear plans - but I could set / force the plan to stay where I wanted it with the Power4Geat uninstalled

Did you match the settings on the left column too? Resolution Scale at 100% ? I also tried AntiAliasingDeferred 4MSAA and AntiAliasingPost OFF

Are you using the Geforce experience settings? And, for the Nvidia Control Panel 3D settings the Program settings for BF4, or did you change them?

You should have better frame rates on both laptops...

I also had the CPU settings increased with Intel XTU giving a 36x 35x 34x 34x cores multiplier, and a 36x cache multiplier, that helps a bit. The Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics cards set the 770m to 932/5250, which boosts the graphics performance.

WinterMisha
04-12-2014, 01:33 AM
You don't need to use the Power4Gear High Performance Power plan, or even the Windows High Performance Power plan for everyday use, just for benchmarking. Keeping the CPU at 100% all the time generates a lot of heat, and causes the CPU fan to spin up and down all the time even on light use.

Try using the Windows Balanced Power Plan. And, set the CPU utilization/speed to 0%/100%. For the most part the performance will be the same on demand, but at idle and under lower loads the temperatures will drop quite a bit, and the fan won't run as often - and the fan won't spin up for light use.

FYI, I uninstall the Power4Gear software because it keeps setting the Power Plan back to the Power4Gear plan when I tried to set it to another plan.

Switching to battery causes Power 4 Gear to switch to Power 4 Gear Power Saving mode which locks the CPU speed low too.

I found both the Windows Balanced and Windows High Performance plans did the same as the Power4Gear plans - but I could set / force the plan to stay where I wanted it with the Power4Geat uninstalled

Did you match the settings on the left column too? Resolution Scale at 100% ? I also tried AntiAliasingDeferred 4MSAA and AntiAliasingPost OFF

Are you using the Geforce experience settings? And, for the Nvidia Control Panel 3D settings the Program settings for BF4, or did you change them?

You should have better frame rates on both laptops...

I also had the CPU settings increased with Intel XTU giving a 36x 35x 34x 34x cores multiplier, and a 36x cache multiplier, that helps a bit. The Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics cards set the 770m to 932/5250, which boosts the graphics performance.
Its not 100% all the time... Min is 5% on any plan and max is 100% i don't like to use any extra programs to boost my laptop.
That review were on Stock settings and programs.
Laptop overheating no matter what i do... Delete powergear plan or keep on Balanced with min 0 max 100.
Anyways laptop reach 85-86c everytime i play a game for like 1-3 min... no matter on what settings or power plan i chose..
Is there any program to check if everything working properly?
thanks

hmscott
04-12-2014, 08:18 AM
Its not 100% all the time... Min is 5% on any plan and max is 100% i don't like to use any extra programs to boost my laptop.
That review were on Stock settings and programs.
Laptop overheating no matter what i do... Delete powergear plan or keep on Balanced with min 0 max 100.
Anyways laptop reach 85-86c everytime i play a game for like 1-3 min... no matter on what settings or power plan i chose..
Is there any program to check if everything working properly?
thanks

Games are hard to measure if they are performing correctly, lots of variation. Best to use a benchmark while running a monitoring tool to keep an eye on the temps, and utilization.

There is nothing wrong with using Asus GPU Tweak tool for Graphics cards, the other variation Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops is included/installed on the new G750JS/JM/JZ, so Asus thinks it is ok :)

Intel XTU lets systems with adequate cooling, like our G750's with awesome cooling systems, utilize all the performance Intel shipped - but couldn't enable - with the Haswell CPU because most stock cooling isn't up to the task. XTU enables the extra Multiplier shipped with the CPU. It is a nice boost, but not truly an Overclock, it is a Multiplier Restore :)

They are both safe, and give you a nice boost in performance.

Even better is the under-volting you can do with XTU, which reduces the voltage fed to the CPU, as it turns out the voltage curve applied to the CPU is a bit too generous for most samples of the CPU. I have seen variation of -125mV to -20mV work, the larger the drop the larger the temperature reduction. It is worth it to tune it.

Those temps for the JX are fine, as it would be for the JW. I am unfamilar with what is typical for the new series, but it doesn't sound bad.

The CPU is safe to run in the mid 90c range, the CPU will heat throttle as it approaches 100C, so the CPU will be safe.

The JH runs a bit cooler, in the mid 70c range, but that is because the cooling system is larger, otherwise it would be the same as the JX/JW - the CPU heat generation is the same across all the G750's

If you want to run a benchmark with monitoring, XTU does that, along side HWinfo64 for more details, here is a sample comparison between stock settings, and OC + -60mV under volt.

zetdotcom
04-12-2014, 09:17 AM
I stresed my CPU with XTU , undervolt 0mV (default) and he arrived at 75c max. Then i undervolth with -50mV ( for now is stable ), under stressing he give me a 69c max.

In Battlefield 4 on ultra the CPU temp max is 66c and GPU temp max is 67c.

PS: I have a JH.

hmscott
04-12-2014, 10:25 AM
I stresed my CPU with XTU , undervolt 0mV (default) and he arrived at 75c max. Then i undervolth with -50mV ( for now is stable ), under stressing he give me a 69c max.
In Battlefield 4 on ultra the CPU temp max is 66c and GPU temp max is 67c.
PS: I have a JH.

Awesome zetdotcom!, those are really low temps. Nice 5c drop from under volt too :)

I can only get -25mV on this JH, have you tried to go lower than -50mV? Is it unstable with a larger undervolt?

WinterMisha
04-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Games are hard to measure if they are performing correctly, lots of variation. Best to use a benchmark while running a monitoring tool to keep an eye on the temps, and utilization.

There is nothing wrong with using Asus GPU Tweak tool for Graphics cards, the other variation Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops is included/installed on the new G750JS/JM/JZ, so Asus thinks it is ok :)

Intel XTU lets systems with adequate cooling, like our G750's with awesome cooling systems, utilize all the performance Intel shipped - but couldn't enable - with the Haswell CPU because most stock cooling isn't up to the task. XTU enables the extra Multiplier shipped with the CPU. It is a nice boost, but not truly an Overclock, it is a Multiplier Restore :)

They are both safe, and give you a nice boost in performance.

Even better is the under-volting you can do with XTU, which reduces the voltage fed to the CPU, as it turns out the voltage curve applied to the CPU is a bit too generous for most samples of the CPU. I have seen variation of -125mV to -20mV work, the larger the drop the larger the temperature reduction. It is worth it to tune it.

Those temps for the JX are fine, as it would be for the JW. I am unfamilar with what is typical for the new series, but it doesn't sound bad.

The CPU is safe to run in the mid 90c range, the CPU will heat throttle as it approaches 100C, so the CPU will be safe.

The JH runs a bit cooler, in the mid 70c range, but that is because the cooling system is larger, otherwise it would be the same as the JX/JW - the CPU heat generation is the same across all the G750's

If you want to run a benchmark with monitoring, XTU does that, along side HWinfo64 for more details, here is a sample comparison between stock settings, and OC + -60mV under volt.

Hello.
As i said before i don't like to use any extra programs..I like everything on Stock and from what i can see as owner of both laptops that older version of 750 is cooler then newer one ....
Anyways i tried that intel ETU and after - 120 voltage my laptop shut down after 3-5 min.. - 20 Does not change anything so i uninstall it..
JX no matter what i play stay cool and max temps are 77C when JM reaches 87C...
Try to understand that i had 2x JW,3x JX and 1x JM so i go trough 6 750s and every time there is some problem with it...
All i want is just to unbox my Laptop and enjoy it and not spend 3 month on Forums and go trough 6 laptops and still have problems...
I would like to see some screens of JM from other owners please ..
And remember video that i make were STOCK VS STOCK no extra programs....
Thank you

hmscott
04-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Hello.
As i said before i don't like to use any extra programs..I like everything on Stock and from what i can see as owner of both laptops that older version of 750 is cooler then newer one ....
Anyways i tried that intel ETU and after - 120 voltage my laptop shut down after 3-5 min.. - 20 Does not change anything so i uninstall it..
JX no matter what i play stay cool and max temps are 77C when JM reaches 87C...
Try to understand that i had 2x JW,3x JX and 1x JM so i go trough 6 750s and every time there is some problem with it...
All i want is just to unbox my Laptop and enjoy it and not spend 3 month on Forums and go trough 6 laptops and still have problems...
I would like to see some screens of JM from other owners please ..
And remember video that i make were STOCK VS STOCK no extra programs....
Thank you

WinterMisha, sorry, I didn't realize you didn't want to spend time optimizing your laptop(s) to get better performance.

So the answer is, both laptops are working like they are supposed to out of the box. There is nothing wrong with them, please enjoy them as is. :)

If you change your mind, we are here to help you, let us know when you are ready :)

WinterMisha
04-12-2014, 04:19 PM
WinterMisha, sorry, I didn't realize you didn't want to spend time optimizing your laptop(s) to get better performance.

So the answer is, both laptops are working like they are supposed to out of the box. There is nothing wrong with them, please enjoy them as is. :)

If you change your mind, we are here to help you, let us know when you are ready :)
Right but they telling us that new g750 suppose to be cooler than older g750,i am just a little bit confused.
Thank you

hmscott
04-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Right but they telling us that new g750 suppose to be cooler than older g750,i am just a little bit confused.
Thank you

For the G750JW/JX Asus set the cooling curve high, tripping the fan's on when the CPU gets kinda hot, in the 80c range, and doesn't really kick in till the 90c range. The CPU can run hot, has it's own temperature / thermal throttling, so Asus keeps the laptop quieter by letting the CPU gain some heat before spinning the fans to cool it off.

The G750JH runs the CPU cooler, keeping the average temperature about 10c cooler than the JW/JX. It might be due to the larger capacity cooling, but it might be a decision to keep heat out of the laptop due to the 780m contributing a larger BTU load than the 765m/770m.

Checking the article on the new Copper infused heatsink, it looks like Asus only refers to the GPU cooling system getting the Copper infusing, and don't mention anything about the CPU cooling. The CPU cooling system is independent of the GPU cooling system, and might not be Cooper Infused / improved.

"It’s more than just a GPU swap-out though, as the cooling hardware has been upgraded with copper infused cooling gear (as below) giving it more heat capacity to overclock via the new ‘ASUS TurboMaster’ technology."
http://rog.asus.com/307502014/g-series-gaming-laptops/new-g750jz-g750jm-and-g750js-gaming-laptops-launched-with-nvidia-gtx-880m-870m-860m-and-turbomaster-overclocking/

Your JX is runnning cooler than the JM, but it might be due to the cooling curve of the JM, waiting till even later than the JW/JX to kick in the fans to run even quieter. Do you notice if the CPU fan on the JX runs faster/sooner than the JM?

The JS/JM/JZ are all new, so we can't expect them to have the same cooling curves as the previous generation, or even the same cooling curves as each other. Like the JW/JX are the same, but the JH is different.

It would be nice to get confirmation from another JM, which would be easier if you would run a standard benchmark like the XTU stress test + HWinfo64 and take a snapshot of the run just a few seconds before it ends like my images in a previous post above. Or, pick another test / monitoring tool output that we can duplicate easily to compare effectively.

WinterMisha
04-12-2014, 11:20 PM
I been comparing all day..
No matter on what i do JX is cooler and they both make about the same amount of noise ...On my opinion JX is more silent..
Anyways i am so tired of this...
They offer brand new MSI GT70 with 870m for 1399$ only... I am thinking about it but maybe there is someone who have one and tell me smth about it.
thanks

sasuke256
04-12-2014, 11:43 PM
MSI's are way hotter than ASUS, the g750's are the coolest laptops available in the market..

WinterMisha
04-13-2014, 01:23 AM
MSI's are way hotter than ASUS, the g750's are the coolest laptops available in the market..
mm currently i am getting 85-87C on my JM is there any more hot?

hmscott
04-13-2014, 08:57 AM
I been comparing all day..
No matter on what i do JX is cooler and they both make about the same amount of noise ...On my opinion JX is more silent..
Anyways i am so tired of this...
They offer brand new MSI GT70 with 870m for 1399$ only... I am thinking about it but maybe there is someone who have one and tell me smth about it.
thanks

WinterMisha, why not keep the JX? It looks to me like the screen bleed is minimal, you say it is quieter and cooler, the performance looks a tad faster on the JX, seems like a great choice :)

Why downgrade to an MSI?

WinterMisha
04-13-2014, 12:25 PM
WinterMisha, why not keep the JX? It looks to me like the screen bleed is minimal, you say it is quieter and cooler, the performance looks a tad faster on the JX, seems like a great choice :)

Why downgrade to an MSI?
JX perform just a little bit slower then JM.
Well i think my JM is defective.. I just talk to one guy and he told me that hes max temps on CPU are 61C but he might not know what he's talking about.....
Welll MSI offers 870m only for 1399$ when asus offers 870m for 1900$
I Might order another JM and MSI.... don't know yet...

hmscott
04-13-2014, 01:18 PM
JX perform just a little bit slower then JM.
Well i think my JM is defective.. I just talk to one guy and he told me that hes max temps on CPU are 61C but he might not know what he's talking about.....
Welll MSI offers 870m only for 1399$ when asus offers 870m for 1900$
I Might order another JM and MSI.... don't know yet...

WinterMisha, it looks like newegg.com has the JM on discount, for only $1789, and including a free Timbuk2 laptop bag with all the G750's:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231631

The SSD brings the price up a bit higher than I would like to see. I got my JX for only $150 more than the JW.

It would be worth it to save up a little more and get the lower end 880m model, only $2289 at newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231633

For the price of a JM+MSI you could get the 880m higher end model, with more bundled goodies:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231644

WinterMisha
04-13-2014, 07:45 PM
WinterMisha, it looks like newegg.com has the JM on discount, for only $1789, and including a free Timbuk2 laptop bag with all the G750's:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231631

The SSD brings the price up a bit higher than I would like to see. I got my JX for only $150 more than the JW.

It would be worth it to save up a little more and get the lower end 880m model, only $2289 at newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231633

For the price of a JM+MSI you could get the 880m higher end model, with more bundled goodies:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231644
I was thinking about JS but its just too much money..Maybe will try that JM one more time ..

hmscott
04-13-2014, 11:50 PM
I was thinking about JS but its just too much money..Maybe will try that JM one more time ..

You might ask Asus if the temps are normal. You can file a Technical Inquiry here, list your findings and ask if it is correct for the JM.

http://vip.asus.com

WinterMisha
04-14-2014, 02:23 AM
You might ask Asus if the temps are normal. You can file a Technical Inquiry here, list your findings and ask if it is correct for the JM.

http://vip.asus.com
Well its just waste of time ... I have some experience with Asus costumer support and looks like they hire people who don't care about anything...Very bad experience...
Anyways i think that is not normal for JM getting hotter then JX...

hmscott
04-14-2014, 04:43 AM
Well its just waste of time ... I have some experience with Asus costumer support and looks like they hire people who don't care about anything...Very bad experience...
Anyways i think that is not normal for JM getting hotter then JX...

You may be giving up too quickly, getting past the 1st level of support to get technical questions answered is common these days.

I expect the first answer to be superficial, so I either ask in the first message to escalate to an technical engineer - saying I expect a technical review / response, or be patient and polite and request it on my response to their first response.

Most questions fielded by technical support can be answered by the 1st level support, but typically my questions cannot be answered by them, and I know that, and interact accordingly.

Give it a shot, a couple of email exchanges, and I always get a technical response. It can take 1-3 days. Sunday (now) is a good time to submit the TI's, the support people are just getting back to work now/Today.

Maybe someone else with a JM can run the XTU Stress test with HWinfo64 logging the temps, and can post their results here for comparison.

WinterMisha
04-14-2014, 10:25 PM
You may be giving up too quickly, getting past the 1st level of support to get technical questions answered is common these days.

I expect the first answer to be superficial, so I either ask in the first message to escalate to an technical engineer - saying I expect a technical review / response, or be patient and polite and request it on my response to their first response.

Most questions fielded by technical support can be answered by the 1st level support, but typically my questions cannot be answered by them, and I know that, and interact accordingly.

Give it a shot, a couple of email exchanges, and I always get a technical response. It can take 1-3 days. Sunday (now) is a good time to submit the TI's, the support people are just getting back to work now/Today.

Maybe someone else with a JM can run the XTU Stress test with HWinfo64 logging the temps, and can post their results here for comparison.
Ahahah just called them today...Lady said i have to make sure that laptop confirm minimum requirement of the game otherwise laptop will overheat ! LOL after that i just hang up ....
I need some time to think and maybe i will try another JM or JS

WinterMisha
04-17-2014, 12:57 AM
Anyone have JM here?

sasuke256
04-17-2014, 09:07 AM
I would love to see a review of the JM :) seems no one did in (been looking in youtube)..

WinterMisha
04-20-2014, 10:19 PM
I would love to see a review of the JM :) seems no one did in (been looking in youtube)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFKVIs8EUjU&feature=youtu.be JX and JM

hmscott
04-21-2014, 01:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFKVIs8EUjU&feature=youtu.be JX and JM

WinterMisha, it looks like there are JM's out there with low/normal (and even higher!) CPU temps.

dblkk swapped his for another at Best Buy and the temps in this one are good:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46377-New-Asus-g750-with-860m&p=394463&viewfull=1#post394463

WinterMisha
04-21-2014, 02:01 AM
WinterMisha, it looks like there are JM's out there with low/normal (and even higher!) CPU temps.

dblkk swapped his for another at Best Buy and the temps in this one are good:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46377-New-Asus-g750-with-860m&p=394463&viewfull=1#post394463

Ah too late i already order one from Newegg,should be there at Tuesday..

hmscott
04-21-2014, 02:17 AM
Ah too late i already order one from Newegg,should be there at Tuesday..

WinterMisha, I hope it is a good one! :)

WinterMisha
04-21-2014, 11:47 AM
WinterMisha, I hope it is a good one! :)
Well it is the last one for sure :)

dblkk
04-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Hey guys, like hm scott said and posted a link to my forum. My first 860m series jm was great solid build, but after using for a few days, started to run hot, hotter than original. Then I ran intel stress test and got temps in low 100's. No throttling, but still seemed hot. So I returned mine to best buy, got a laptop with poor quality build. Frame around screen wasn't nice and snug (could push on plastic and itd move around) and the keys themselves seemed like they weren't tight to the actuators underneath them, they felt loose. But I ran stress test and temps stayed around 80-85c. So second one was better thermals, but I took it back due to build quality. Immediately opening the exchanged model (second exchanged laptop that day and third laptop I had my hands on that day) build quality was the same cheapness as the previous, which wasn't good but my original from a week previous was still good. Since I did this all at the same store, they had all laptops on the desk and I could point out the cheapness comparing to my original that warmed up to hot. But they were out of stock on this so I just took the cheaper quality one home and am deciding whether or not im going to return it and then wait a week for a replacement to come in.

But that said, thermals on this (third one now), were again mid 80's full stress. That was Saturday. I ran again lastnight, after using it for the past few days, and same stress test same settings, temps now mid 90's. I ran a few more times and hit 100 on package and casing. So, im going to def bring this one back and have a new one ordered. But that said, ill explain what I think in next paragraph.

The thermals on the new 860m g750 jm laptops, brand new thermals are low and like the original g750 series. But after some use, thermals (under 100% load) do get to 90-100c. Which is higher than the original g750s. But, I think this is going to be the normal for the newer versions. The new copper might/might not be having an effect. But the higher temps are due to the fact that the i7 has graphics built in and being used. I'm sure this uses more power and causes higher heat. If I remember correctly, the original g750's with 700 series, had the gpu cut off the i7? I know they didn't use the gpu but I think it was actualy cut off the die if im not mistaken. But that said, over my 765m, same usage I get an extra 30-45 min by using optimus i7 gpu for light tasks vs the dedicated gpu like the last version. And the higher temps, like I said I think that's just the new temp standards in the 800 series now. Gaming wise I rarely hit as high as 70c. Its only 100% full load that you'll go higher than 70's. Which for me, I use my g750 for video editing and rendering so I use cpu 100% almost entire time I use this thing.

I did also notice that the fan curve is different in the 800 vs the 700 series jm series. There is definite lag behind temps and fan.

But all this said, the new 860m plays high settings at 60fps on bf4, ghosts, titan fall, ect. Its amazing. And I played on battery the other day, got just over 1 1/2 hours of gaming on 75% battery charge. Maintaining 60fps the whole time. On battery. That was amazing.
I love the asus g750. its huge, heavy, and beasty, but its great. No complaints here, and any cons Ive gotten and exchanged so many. I only did because of best buy and I can. That said, if I couldn't have returned so many, I still would've been happy with the first, and even with minor cheap quality in the build, its not performance limiting, just cosmetics minus the keyboard which might get better the more I use it, and it definitely doesn't stop or affect my typing experience. So maybe just me, but these laptops are great, with so many pros going for it, any small con is easily overlooked.

sasuke256
04-21-2014, 03:39 PM
hope you will have a well cooled JM wintermisha ! :D

sasuke256
04-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Hey guys, like hm scott said and posted a link to my forum. My first 860m series jm was great solid build, but after using for a few days, started to run hot, hotter than original. Then I ran intel stress test and got temps in low 100's. No throttling, but still seemed hot. So I returned mine to best buy, got a laptop with poor quality build. Frame around screen wasn't nice and snug (could push on plastic and itd move around) and the keys themselves seemed like they weren't tight to the actuators underneath them, they felt loose. But I ran stress test and temps stayed around 80-85c. So second one was better thermals, but I took it back due to build quality. Immediately opening the exchanged model (second exchanged laptop that day and third laptop I had my hands on that day) build quality was the same cheapness as the previous, which wasn't good but my original from a week previous was still good. Since I did this all at the same store, they had all laptops on the desk and I could point out the cheapness comparing to my original that warmed up to hot. But they were out of stock on this so I just took the cheaper quality one home and am deciding whether or not im going to return it and then wait a week for a replacement to come in.

But that said, thermals on this (third one now), were again mid 80's full stress. That was Saturday. I ran again lastnight, after using it for the past few days, and same stress test same settings, temps now mid 90's. I ran a few more times and hit 100 on package and casing. So, im going to def bring this one back and have a new one ordered. But that said, ill explain what I think in next paragraph.

The thermals on the new 860m g750 jm laptops, brand new thermals are low and like the original g750 series. But after some use, thermals (under 100% load) do get to 90-100c. Which is higher than the original g750s. But, I think this is going to be the normal for the newer versions. The new copper might/might not be having an effect. But the higher temps are due to the fact that the i7 has graphics built in and being used. I'm sure this uses more power and causes higher heat. If I remember correctly, the original g750's with 700 series, had the gpu cut off the i7? I know they didn't use the gpu but I think it was actualy cut off the die if im not mistaken. But that said, over my 765m, same usage I get an extra 30-45 min by using optimus i7 gpu for light tasks vs the dedicated gpu like the last version. And the higher temps, like I said I think that's just the new temp standards in the 800 series now. Gaming wise I rarely hit as high as 70c. Its only 100% full load that you'll go higher than 70's. Which for me, I use my g750 for video editing and rendering so I use cpu 100% almost entire time I use this thing.

I did also notice that the fan curve is different in the 800 vs the 700 series jm series. There is definite lag behind temps and fan.

But all this said, the new 860m plays high settings at 60fps on bf4, ghosts, titan fall, ect. Its amazing. And I played on battery the other day, got just over 1 1/2 hours of gaming on 75% battery charge. Maintaining 60fps the whole time. On battery. That was amazing.
I love the asus g750. its huge, heavy, and beasty, but its great. No complaints here, and any cons Ive gotten and exchanged so many. I only did because of best buy and I can. That said, if I couldn't have returned so many, I still would've been happy with the first, and even with minor cheap quality in the build, its not performance limiting, just cosmetics minus the keyboard which might get better the more I use it, and it definitely doesn't stop or affect my typing experience. So maybe just me, but these laptops are great, with so many pros going for it, any small con is easily overlooked.
you can have the gpu disabled in the "old" G750's but it's certainly not behind the problem of the JM/JS overheating.. just look at the JZ with 880M and you will see that only the GPU got a bigger fan but the cpu is clearly "cool" when runing games..
Remember that when you play games the dGpu goes on and the iGPU go to "sleep" it just cant generate more than 20 extra heat..
It's just bad thermal pasted..

WinterMisha
04-21-2014, 04:27 PM
hope you will have a well cooled JM wintermisha ! :D
Well i hope so but from my experience i know that something going to be wrong...
Will report later when i have it..

dblkk
04-21-2014, 06:35 PM
you can have the gpu disabled in the "old" G750's but it's certainly not behind the problem of the JM/JS overheating.. just look at the JZ with 880M and you will see that only the GPU got a bigger fan but the cpu is clearly "cool" when runing games..
Remember that when you play games the dGpu goes on and the iGPU go to "sleep" it just cant generate more than 20 extra heat..
It's just bad thermal pasted..

So what are you trying to exactly tell me? Not smack talking, really curious as to what your opinion is. Because im at a loss and just willing to settle I guess. I really love the laptop, yes big and bulky and I take it everywhere with me, but a good backpack is all I need. But if there is a way to get the temps down then great. While I game cpu is around 70-75, gpu around 60-65. But I only game maybe 2-3 titanfall matches a day, tops. But im rendering/editing video for several hours, and 2-3 hours is strickly the rendering/producing process, while the other 2-3 hours are just editing which is 20-40% cpu, but renering is 100%. It gets quite loud )fans do), and temps are high, but I have it on a desk or chill pad and exhaust is out the back so im personally not being effected, nor is it throttling. But if it is damaging to anything having my cpu run 100% and 95-100c for several hours a day, any thoughts or insights on how to fix would be greatly appreciated.

I have the 860m, cant afford a 870m. I can jump up to a 770m which is going for around $1400-1500 right now, but like I said I get an extra 45 min of battery life on light duty, and now with bttery booster on gpu, I can render and game for an extra 45 min as well. I'm not always by an outlet, nor do I always want to be, or even carry around charger for that matter.

But are you suggesting that this specific laptop I have is still bad and I should def. exchange it and order another one in? Or are you saying that jm in particular are bad and I should down step to a 770m model? Or skip asus altogether?

sasuke256
04-21-2014, 07:33 PM
I think it's related to THAT laptop.. same cpu is the same G750 cooling, it should take long cpu tasks for a long while..
did you try the intel xtreme tuning tool ? reduce the voltage -50mV you will have lower temps.. if still not lower ? RMA the laptop for "overheating when encoding" they will change the thermal paste or give you a new one :)

WinterMisha
04-21-2014, 10:52 PM
I think it's related to THAT laptop.. same cpu is the same G750 cooling, it should take long cpu tasks for a long while..
hey will change the thermal paste or give you a new one :)
Or they will send you a refurbished one

dblkk
04-22-2014, 02:03 AM
Or they will send you a refurbished one

I agree with your statement 100%. Not dissing asus, but honestly that just seems to be the best option for everybody. Asus isn't going to send a brand new one, when they've im sure got thousands that were sent in and either fixed or weren't broken in the first place. I get a laptop right away sent to me, and don't have to wait to send mine in, along with everyone else, then have our laptops stacked up and waiting for the employee to open it up and reapply thermal paste, do testing to make sure its fixed or that it didn't cause another problem. Then find out whose laptop it is, get my name and address, then ship it back to me. Im sure that's a good 4-8 week process right there.

But I got my from best buy. Its the 'special' best buy model, 8gb ram and 1 year no accidental warrenty. So, I have 45 day return policy, whether its broke, or I just change my mind, take it back and get money back.

dblkk
04-22-2014, 02:10 AM
did you try the intel xtreme tuning tool ? reduce the voltage -50mV you will have lower temps.. if still not lower ? RMA the laptop for "overheating when encoding" they will change the thermal paste or give you a new one :)

Aright, well im new to overclocking on a laptop. Yet id say pretty good at desktop, it took me 3 months and $800 in watercooling setup, but I got my desktop fx 8350 to 5.2 stable, 5.0 stable, and 4.8 stable. I run 4.8 24/7 as it required smallest voltage bump, and runs temp wise great. I saved 5 and 5.2 for when im rendering and need that umph, but needed a big deal of voltage and temps are borderline.

But for laptops, ive never overclocked, so question is, for voltage reducing, your talking core voltage? Because at 0 that's the lowest. So that leaves offset voltage that is allowable to take away voltage. So do I take dynamic cpu voltage offset down, or processor cache voltage offset down?

And is there any way to see or control the fan curve on these laptops?

Do you think the fact that its a jm but best buy version, that my temps are high, I know they cheap out some things, maybe it was thermal paste. If it is even a possibility please say, and ill just take this sucker back and order a normal jm series, its only $50 more than this one, but order time is 5-7 days.

hmscott
04-22-2014, 02:37 AM
Aright, well im new to overclocking on a laptop. Yet id say pretty good at desktop, it took me 3 months and $800 in watercooling setup, but I got my desktop fx 8350 to 5.2 stable, 5.0 stable, and 4.8 stable. I run 4.8 24/7 as it required smallest voltage bump, and runs temp wise great. I saved 5 and 5.2 for when im rendering and need that umph, but needed a big deal of voltage and temps are borderline.

But for laptops, ive never overclocked, so question is, for voltage reducing, your talking core voltage? Because at 0 that's the lowest. So that leaves offset voltage that is allowable to take away voltage. So do I take dynamic cpu voltage offset down, or processor cache voltage offset down?

Do you think the fact that its a jm but best buy version, that my temps are high, I know they cheap out some things, maybe it was thermal paste. If it is even a possibility please say, and ill just take this sucker back and order a normal jm series, its only $50 more than this one, but order time is 5-7 days.

Laptop XTU OC'ing isn't the same, you can only increase multiplier on each of the 4 cores, and reduce voltage offset on CPU and cache. It isn't so much OC'ing as restoring originally designed performance and tuning the voltage under excess to reduce heat generation.

No, there isn't any way to control the fans.

Yes, offset voltage for CPU / cache, keep them the same, start around -20mV and ranges up (down to) -125mV. As long as you are stable under load and idle, keep increasing (decreasing) in stages till you crash, then back off -5mv increments until stable.

IDK what is "right temps" for the JM yet, but I do know that Asus tunes for quiet operation until things get close to too hot, and then kicks in hard to get the temps down and keeps them down. It might be a different curve for the JM.

As long as you aren't seeing Thermal Throttling you should be ok. HWinfo64 keeps a running value for each core while it is running, and if it hits thermal throttling it will mark it - I would run HWinfo64 all the time for a while to satisfy yourself that it isn't kicking in at all.

If the model number of the G750JM you bought is the same elsewhere, it is the same build / components. It doesn't hurt to try another source, sometimes build batches have similar characteristics.

Did you ask Asus about this issue? I would report to them what you have experienced, problems, details about temps, etc and see what they say. It doesn't hurt to make sure they know what is going on at the customer end.

WinterMisha
04-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Try NewEgg there is an option you can add extra 10$ and its going to be only 3 business days :)
Mine is comming today so i will report later

dblkk
04-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Laptop XTU OC'ing isn't the same, you can only increase multiplier on each of the 4 cores, and reduce voltage offset on CPU and cache. It isn't so much OC'ing as restoring originally designed performance and tuning the voltage under excess to reduce heat generation.

No, there isn't any way to control the fans.

Yes, offset voltage for CPU / cache, keep them the same, start around -20mV and ranges up (down to) -125mV. As long as you are stable under load and idle, keep increasing (decreasing) in stages till you crash, then back off -5mv increments until stable.

IDK what is "right temps" for the JM yet, but I do know that Asus tunes for quiet operation until things get close to too hot, and then kicks in hard to get the temps down and keeps them down. It might be a different curve for the JM.

As long as you aren't seeing Thermal Throttling you should be ok. HWinfo64 keeps a running value for each core while it is running, and if it hits thermal throttling it will mark it - I would run HWinfo64 all the time for a while to satisfy yourself that it isn't kicking in at all.

If the model number of the G750JM you bought is the same elsewhere, it is the same build / components. It doesn't hurt to try another source, sometimes build batches have similar characteristics.

Did you ask Asus about this issue? I would report to them what you have experienced, problems, details about temps, etc and see what they say. It doesn't hurt to make sure they know what is going on at the customer end.

Thank you for the laptop overclocking help. Like I said, I know desktop pretty well and feel more comfortable since if it goes horribly wrong, buy a new chip and stick it in. Vs do laptop wrong and I have a $1500 paper weight.

as far as the g750jm, I bought best buys 'special' model. Only offered by best buy. And all exchanged replacements have also been this 'special' laptop. But this next time, if I do bring back because of subpar build quality, I will be exchanging for the available everywhere g750jm. I only did best buy 'special' model as was in stock and didn't have to wait a week. The screen plastic is whateer I can get past, but my space bar seems to be not entirely loose, but wiggly. That concerns me as I know I can always buy and plug in a separate keyboard but im not going to bring a keyboard everywhere I go to type on while I stare at my laptop keyboard.

As far as buying the laptop on new egg and getting the speedy delivery. I definitely have thought about that idea. I liked best buy since ive tried all sorts of laptops to narrow down to the one that just works perfect, which is the asus. But now that I know the laptop I want, I can easily just buy through newegg. Only con there is that if I do have a problem especially right away, I then have to ship and wait and stuff, vs best buy take the f'er back 3 blocks from my house. lol.

dblkk
04-22-2014, 03:15 PM
But all this said and done. The minor flaws on assembly of this laptop, my first one didn't have, then got 3 in a row which leads me to believe that this bunch was all made as same time. But laptop is still fully functional, and works great. Should I, would you, bring it back and order a new one (4-7 days without one then) and hope that they keyboard and screen plastic border are prestine (which im sure it would be), or just suck up the very minor livable flaws and keep the one I have.

dblkk
04-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Oh, and about contacting asus. I did that about a week ago when my original started to overheat and run very warm. Got an email with claim number and such. But so far that's been it. Nothing else from Asus except computer generated reply with claim number.

sasuke256
04-22-2014, 08:10 PM
That's bad, never thought JM are gonna have temp problems..

WinterMisha
04-22-2014, 11:33 PM
noway that's what i said when i power on my Brand new Asus G750JM

2 dead pixels or stuck pixels i don't really know ..... Are you kidding me ......................................??

Tried to rub it for few min no luck.
Videos on youtube no luck.

By the way i can only see it on a black... but still its very annoying

Any ideas?

sasuke256
04-23-2014, 02:29 PM
and what about the temps ? still 100 :( ?

WinterMisha
04-26-2014, 12:44 PM
temps were 71c max no matter on what i do
and what about the temps ? still 100 :( ?

sasuke256
04-26-2014, 01:52 PM
your post are auto-updating or s.th ? they change every day to add +24hours to the 'timestamp of posting'

WinterMisha
04-28-2014, 12:59 AM
idk

WinterMisha
04-28-2014, 11:11 AM
still waiting on my JM