PDA

View Full Version : g74sx USB 3.0 problems

Lorca
10-03-2011, 10:56 AM
I have a WD Passport SE USB 3.0 external HD but for some reason when it's connected to the usb 3.0 port of the g74sx the transfer drops randomly, and I've to stop the backup. The external HD does work if I plug it to the 2.0 port but I don't like it because it's slow. I've the latest usb 3.0 drivers from Asus site(v3.0.119.1) but I still get the issues. Any help? Thanks.

JRd1st
10-03-2011, 11:18 AM
There is a newer version of that driver in Chastity's Driver Thread (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference)

Lorca
10-03-2011, 11:28 AM
There is a newer version of that driver in Chastity's Driver Thread (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference)

You mean the driver: Fresco USB 3.0 v3.3.14.0? Is that for the g74sx model?

JRd1st
10-03-2011, 11:48 AM
It's for the Fresco USB 3 device and that's what matters. ;)

Lorca
10-03-2011, 12:13 PM
It's for the Fresco USB 3 device and that's what matters. ;)

I just updated to the new version but still I get the problems. Anyone has more suggestions? Thanks.

JRd1st
10-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Is your notebook adapter plugged in or are you on battery? That might make a difference with some USB 3 external drives. Not sure . . .

Lorca
10-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Is your notebook adapter plugged in or are you on battery? That might make a difference with some USB 3 external drives. Not sure . . .

My notebook is plugged. I've been googleing the net for my problem and some have similar problems. Some say is the usb cable; others say is the drivers or, wrong format and so forth. Many, anyways, think it's the usb cable; that its faulty. My logic tells me that if the usb cable is faulty then WHY does it work with the 2.0 port? I assume that a faulty usb cable is useless for both, right?

JRd1st
10-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Maybe not. A GOOD cable sometimes makes a difference with high data rates.

Is this the cable you got with the drive? They usually give you an adequate cable with a drive.

I have no USB 3.0 devices so I'm going on general principles, now. Lol

Lorca
10-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Maybe not. A GOOD cable sometimes makes a difference with high data rates.

Is this the cable you got with the drive? They usually give you an adequate cable with a drive.

I have no USB 3.0 devices so I'm going on general principles, now. Lol

Yes, my WD Passport external HD comes with the cable which is about 2 feet long. I heard in another forum that in the BIOS one should enable 3.0 support. I checked but it doesn't say anything about 3.0 support, only something about USB Charger+. And that is disable.

GBLK
10-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Ived been having the same trouble with my newly bought G74sx and also have a WD Passport , have you found something to fixthis problem?

PeteGeek
11-15-2011, 02:46 AM
Same problem here too. Latest drivers, etc.

About to check the BIOS but I somehow suspect it has more to do with the USB3.0 controller.

Blumberg
11-15-2011, 02:54 AM
I got the same problem with the same external hard drive (WD passport 750Gb)

I updated my driver to Fresco 3.5.4.0, with this upgrade, my drive works better, right now I can open folders and transfer some files, but, if I do a long transfer (more then 20 minutes) I got a fail in transfer due to lost of connection.

So... I'm still using 2.0 port for backup

I'm using G74SX-TH71

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Is that a usb bus powered drive? I'm thinking that the usb power may be marginal and as the circuit heats up it decreases to below the threshold needed for these drives to operate.

Perhaps one of those "Y" usb 3 power adapters will help. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161003&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Cables-_-Apricorn-_-12161003

BrodyBoy
11-15-2011, 07:25 PM
When there's a "power" issue with USB drives, I think it's generally going to be at spin-up, when the driver requires the most juice. But even then, there really should be enough power to the port.....the USB hub is configured to provide 500mA per port. It seems like you'd have to have devices consuming power on several ports simultaneously to actually impast power availability on any one port.

In these cases where the drive disconnects during long transfers, I lean toward a power management issue. It's as if the computer forgets the port's in use and initiates a power-saving mode. For troubleshooting, I'd disable/uninstall Power4Gear and then make sure that Windows Power Management (and the USB Hub Properties) are set to never de-power those devices.

Cyrhlanin
11-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Hello all, i have simmilar issue with my G74SX http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5901-Asus-G74SX-problem-with-USB-3.0&p=43128#post43128. But in my notebook even port 2.0 doesn't work properly. Both 3.0 and 2.0 doesn't react on anything. Please review my topic and help me! :(

JRd1st
11-15-2011, 07:59 PM
I replied to your other post.

fostert
11-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Gotta watch the power requirements of those external drives powered from the bus itself: some of them are right on the edge. I have an HP 500 GB USB2.0 pocket external that came with a 12 inch cable with standard ends. If I use any longer cable (e.g. even an 18 inch) the drive sputters and dies halfway through transfers. The extra resistance of the longer cable means the current draw must go down as the voltage is constant at 5 V (Ohm's law). This little drive of mine works well with my desktop's Gigabyte mainboard (P55A-UD3P) with the 3x extra high-power USB ports: I have stuck 6 foot cables on it and it works.

Try a shorty cable between your drive and the port, and while you're doing your backup open the windows to keep the ambient cool (and hence the resistance down). You'll soon identify whether its the cable causing your drops or not.

If it is check out usbfirewire.com for some low resistance USB cables that are reported to solve alot of external drive woes.

kimiraikkonen
10-13-2013, 01:01 AM
When there's a "power" issue with USB drives, I think it's generally going to be at spin-up, when the driver requires the most juice. But even then, there really should be enough power to the port.....the USB hub is configured to provide 500mA per port. It seems like you'd have to have devices consuming power on several ports simultaneously to actually impast power availability on any one port.

In these cases where the drive disconnects during long transfers, I lean toward a power management issue. It's as if the computer forgets the port's in use and initiates a power-saving mode. For troubleshooting, I'd disable/uninstall Power4Gear and then make sure that Windows Power Management (and the USB Hub Properties) are set to never de-power those devices.

USB 3.0 requires 900mA to operate properly, and for 2.5" self-powered devices, 900 mA is a must-have power rate for USB host controllers. And what i read that Asus providing 500mA as if USB 3.0 ports wouldn't be used for USB 3.0 external harddrives.

Is Asus kidding us??!!!