PDA

View Full Version : Asus G75VW Ai Recovery 1.0.24 Insert proper boot device

Asus_G72GX
04-13-2014, 05:28 PM
I have Asus G75VW 256GB SSD/1TB HDD, I used already installed Ai Recovery 1.0.24 to create recovery DVD's Asus claims that 1.0.24 fully supports 1TB HDD. Than I replaced 256GB SSD to a newly WD Black 7500BPKT, and performed installation as following here rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16557-Step-by-Step-Using-ASUS-Recovery-DVDs-to-Restore-G75 but when the last DVD is finishes, the Ai recovery tells that restoring was ok and notebook is restarting but stops with message select proper boot device even in BIOS there is no option to boot via HDD, however the HDD name, serial number is showing in SATA tab, I tried both AHCI, IDE optiona but same sign appears select proper boot device. What is the problem? And when Asus will ship normal handeled software to their 2500$ laptops, so that people would find comfortably to use their products.

Asus_G72GX
04-13-2014, 05:34 PM
During DVD recovery I left only one WD Black 7500BPKT and unplugged the stock 1TB.

Asus_G72GX
04-13-2014, 05:39 PM
During Ai Recovery DVD writing I selected verify data after burning so all disks should not contain any errors.

Asus_G72GX
04-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Found here rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16557-Step-by-Step-Using-ASUS-Recovery-DVDs-to-Restore-G75/page15&highlight=select+proper+boot that problem causing Bios 223, is it possible to safely downgrade Bios from 223 to 210? I heard that using winflash no date is unsafe as it can lead machine to brick

Clintlgm
04-14-2014, 01:27 AM
on boot up hit the esc key, that will bring up a boot menu, select your new hard drive. If that fails use disk part to clean your new disk, convert it to GPT, then run AI Recovery disk. In Your BIOS should be set up for UEFI
you can not down grade your BIOS with Winflash, you'll have to use EZ Flash in the BIOS. And Yes Win Flash has bricked several Notebooks.

As to your complaint about not getting a restore disk with your Notebook, very few are shipped now days with restore disk, you can purchase one from the Asus Store for $50. for windows 7 only.

Asus_G72GX
04-14-2014, 05:17 AM
on boot up hit the esc key, that will bring up a boot menu, select your new hard drive. If that fails use disk part to clean your new disk, convert it to GPT, then run AI Recovery disk. In Your BIOS should be set up for UEFI
you can not down grade your BIOS with Winflash, you'll have to use EZ Flash in the BIOS. And Yes Win Flash has bricked several Notebooks.

As to your complaint about not getting a restore disk with your Notebook, very few are shipped now days with restore disk, you can purchase one from the Asus Store for $50. for windows 7 only.
There was no HDD option only Blu Ray drive if I presss ESC button. Than I decided to downgrade a Bios from 223 to 210 with WinFlash. I launched it via cmd using old Liteon SSD 256G SSD with /nodate property. Seems that all run ok, I also tried to reboot laptop and it switched on ok with the next Windows 7 boot. So Bios downgrade is really possible if WinFlash flashed my Bios from 223 to 210 version? Can I be sure that after that system will not malfunction lately? After WinFlash I placed disks from Ai Recovery and when last disk is finished copying, system rebooted and no "select proper boot device" sign appeared, Ai recovery restored Windows 7 and started to copying drivers. So the reason was really in Bios 223. Now can I be sure that I will still can apply the latest Bios updates? Thanks!

Asus_G72GX
04-14-2014, 05:30 AM

Clintlgm
04-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Good glad you got it all sorted out. I have found no reason to update my BIOS beyond 210 myself. Your problem was UEFI, your BIOS needs to be set to UEFI and your hard drive needs to be UEFI GPT. Since you have gotten ride of your SSD and replace it with a Legacy Hard Drive you you could set your BIOS to Legacy and your OS Hard drive to MBR. You can not mix the two systems both have to be one or the other. Your Notebook came from the factory UEFI GPT

Asus_G72GX
04-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Good glad you got it all sorted out. I have found no reason to update my BIOS beyond 210 myself. Your problem was UEFI, your BIOS needs to be set to UEFI and your hard drive needs to be UEFI GPT. Since you have gotten ride of your SSD and replace it with a Legacy Hard Drive you you could set your BIOS to Legacy and your OS Hard drive to MBR. You can not mix the two systems both have to be one or the other. Your Notebook came from the factory UEFI GPT
Thanks for your assist! Could you also say how to switch BIOS to Legacy mode and Hard Drive to MBR(formating required)? Or since all seems to be worked better to remain system as it is?

Asus_G72GX
04-14-2014, 02:00 PM
As from days of purchase I never seen that my G75VW have this Bios Uefi version like in new ROG Maximus MB, it has simillar old looking Bios like in G72

Asus_G72GX
04-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Maybe in my case I don't need to re-format WD Black 7500BPKT to MBR since it was new sealed in box, and after I downgraded BIOS to 210 version the system fully restored from AI Recovery drives?

P.S.
As I restored my system with the disks that I recovered with AI Recovery 1.0.24 when the system was with factory SSD+1TB HDD. When I started restoring from this disks I set only WD Black and removed for a while the 1TB. Is it right? Since in tutorial there was a warning that only one HDD should be during restoring. So how Ai Recovery affects on second 1TB HDD, I still did not placed it in system

Asus_G72GX
04-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Yes it is GPT, thanks to Asus that they equipped their machines with the cheapest SSD and now buyers are experiencing these problems. :) I really do not want SSD anymore and will never recommend it, Clintlgm could you please say how to re-format disk to MBR and make BIOS Legacy type. I guess that WD Black 7500BPKT disk should be again re-formatted, but in this case how I will recover from AI Recovery DVD's If I writed it when my G75 had factory SSD disk (They designated only for SSD system?). So the onliest exit is to download a Windows 7 iso and activate it via key on back cover of G75. But what to do with the factory 1TB HDD?

Clintlgm
04-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Go into you UEFI/BIOS and change UEFI to Legacy, use any partitioning tool to convert your hard drives to MBR. Yes it is true that our UEFI looks like any other BIOS Asus just didn't want us to have all the options of desktop MB.
Your recovery disk set is UEFI however after you have it up and running you can convert to MBR, however you can not Convert a MBR OS disk to GPT.
Regardless your much better off just clean Installing Win 7 there are legit ISO from Digital River to use, you product key is on the bottom of your notebook.

Asus_G72GX
04-16-2014, 06:06 AM
Disabled Uefi Boot, but should be the launch PXE OpROM(boot option for legacy devices) enabled ?
I also changed the boot options and set the WD 7500BPKT as Boot Option #1, previously Boot Option #1 was Slimtype BD and WD 7500BPKT was Boot Option #!

Clintlgm
04-16-2014, 03:13 PM
I don't think the setting Launch PXE OpROM (http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/definition/PXE-Preboot-Execution-Environment)matters mine is disabled. link explains what it is. When you disabled UEFI your system defaults to Legacy.
Since your not using a SSD it should not mater much that you are in MBR environment.
Let us know how the WD Black works out for you. I have never tried one in a notebook and I suppose that since SSD are becoming reasonable priced I don't suppose I every will.

Asus_G72GX
04-20-2014, 06:25 AM
I don't think the setting Launch PXE OpROM (http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/definition/PXE-Preboot-Execution-Environment)matters mine is disabled. link explains what it is. When you disabled UEFI your system defaults to Legacy.
Since your not using a SSD it should not mater much that you are in MBR environment.
Let us know how the WD Black works out for you. I have never tried one in a notebook and I suppose that since SSD are becoming reasonable priced I don't suppose I every will.
WD Black 750BPKX seems working fine, no so much differene in boot in comprison with previous SSD , WD Black loads 20 seconds more than old Liteon 256GB SSD, and of course it loads faster than my G72GX with WD Blue 500GB. There will be change if to load it with software, but in any case 7200RPM is the best choice among all HDD's, maybe WD Veloci Raptor will make difference, but the seller told that it is not compatible with any laptops due to needs of active cooling. I also take the second WD 7500BPKX, now I want to insert in 2nd Bay where the old Seagate 1TB was, am I need to reformat new HDD to MBR? Or it should be GPT?

Clintlgm
04-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Data drive don't mater MBR or GPT, since your OS Drive is in MBR mode, you can easily change data drive from GPT to MBR. I use MiniTools Partition Wizard. You might even be able to convert using Disk Management.

tkolarik
04-23-2014, 05:59 AM
You can mix drive types, MBR and GPT.