PDA

View Full Version : I do not need OPTMUS

Gil Kim
04-16-2014, 12:23 AM
Question.

I do not need OPTIMUS.

Can I get rid of OPTIMUS? Like Alienware?

I wish that there is no Intel Graphic on system.

I HAVE G750JZ.

hmscott
04-16-2014, 01:23 AM
Question.

I do not need OPTIMUS.

Can I get rid of OPTIMUS? Like Alienware?

I wish that there is no Intel Graphic on system.

I HAVE G750JZ.

AFAIK, there is no way to disable Optimus, except by setting Intel / Nvidia manually for each and every application... anyone have a global way that works to turn off Optimus, or sets all apps to use Nvidia?

Master Po
04-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Isn't Optimus very good for keeping your laptop cool? :confused: It's like when you don't play games, your Optimus kicks in, and you can have your graphic card for gaming have a pause, be ready for gaming whenever, isn't that the purpose or am I confused? :)

sasuke256
04-16-2014, 11:00 AM
why do you hate it so much ?

pokerface
04-16-2014, 11:34 AM
Everyone kept complaining on these forums why the G750JX/JH/JW were missing the Optimus and Intel HD Graphics, now that they have it, they complain! You can never please these people! LOL

Thank god my G750JX doesn't have that crap! I only need my GeForce GTX for everything! :)

hmscott
04-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Isn't Optimus very good for keeping your laptop cool? :confused: It's like when you don't play games, your Optimus kicks in, and you can have your graphic card for gaming have a pause, be ready for gaming whenever, isn't that the purpose or am I confused? :)

The right side fan rarely runs, not because Optimus is running, but because the graphics card slows down when not in use. When you don't play games the GTX card only enables the 2D mode, and shuts down the 3D performance. Optimus has nothing to do with that. My JH without Optimus already does that nicely.

Optimus is supposed to *correctly* select the Intel or Nvidia graphics option to reduce battery use, but for some reason also runs on AC - which makes no sense - when on AC I want the highest performance graphics option to run - all the time.

There is no Optimus option to globally set the Nvidia card only while on AC - Optimus most often selects Intel graphics even on AC - unless you tune the application 3D setting in the Nvidia Control panel.

pokerface
04-16-2014, 04:14 PM
There is no Optimus option to globally set the Nvidia card only while on AC - Optimus most often selects Intel graphics even on AC - unless you tune the application 3D setting in the Nvidia Control panel.

That is scary! thank god the G750JX/JH/JW don't have Optimus! don't wanna deal with that headache and be paranoid as to which graphics card is in use.

Heck, even when watching a movie I want to run it using my GeForce GTX to benefit from CUDA's hardware acceleration! The idea of Optimus was designed with the portable notebook in mind for people who travel where battery life is vital so when switching to the Intel HD Graphics, they save a lot of battery, but not for gamers for god's sake

hmscott
04-16-2014, 06:24 PM
That is scary! thank god the G750JX/JH/JW don't have Optimus! don't wanna deal with that headache and be paranoid as to which graphics card is in use.

Heck, even when watching a movie I want to run it using my GeForce GTX to benefit from CUDA's hardware acceleration! The idea of Optimus was designed with the portable notebook in mind for people who travel where battery life is vital so when switching to the Intel HD Graphics, they save a lot of battery, but not for gamers for god's sake

What are they thinking? The headache of having to manually select GTX for everything on AC just to save a few watts on AC? The Intel graphics shouldn't even kick in until you are on Battery.

Does anyone with an Optimus G750 know if you can set an Application to use GTX/Nvidia on AC and use Intel on Battery? Or do you have to manually adjust the graphics card setting every time you switch from AC to Battery, and back to AC?

Exaulted93
04-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced power settings > GPU settings > NVIDIA Hybrid Graphics > set to increased performance(NVIDIA GPU)

You can set it for battery and for when you are plugged in, you have to set it for any power plan you will be using also.

hmscott
04-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Advanced power settings > GPU settings > NVIDIA Hybrid Graphics > set to increased performance(NVIDIA GPU)

You can set it for battery and for when you are plugged in, you have to set it for any power plan you will be using also.

So there are two places to set both options? There is a Battery setting and an AC setting for each Application in Nvidia Control Panel 3D settings, and settings in the Power Plan too?

Can you please do a screenshot for both places it can/needs to be set?

Snipping Tool in Windows 8.X works nicely :)

Thanks Exaulted93!

Exaulted93
04-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Your battery lasts SO much longer on intel graphics though so idk how well you will like it unless your always plugged in.

hmscott
04-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Your battery lasts SO much longer on intel graphics though so idk how well you will like it unless your always plugged in.

I like the idea of longer battery life, but many of the things I do won't work as well on Intel Graphics, so that mode wouldn't be usable - I would want full power GTX performance - does that happen on Battery for the new G750's? Full performance GTX on battery, or throttled?

Exaulted93
04-16-2014, 06:40 PM

Exaulted93
04-16-2014, 06:45 PM
It looks like we've only got Intel options for throttling. If it were me I would create a couple profiles with Nvidia Inspector to control my GTX.

hmscott
04-16-2014, 06:48 PM
It looks like we've only got Intel options for throttling. If it were me I would create a couple profiles with Nvidia Inspector to control my GTX.

Yup, clone a profile you want on battery, one for Nvidia and one for Intel.

When you set it to prefer Nvidia, how is the performance on battery compared to AC? Is the Nvidia card throttled?

Exaulted93
04-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Im running on optimus right now for about 5 hours full brightness and keyboard lights and I've still got 20% battery left. I haven't tried setting it to my GTX on battery yet. I'll do it tonight after I get it charged up again. I haven't been running anything graphics intensive, just google chrome, visual studio, and skype.

Angellus
04-20-2014, 06:05 AM

I don't get that option (GPU Settings)... I only get an option for Intel Graphics

Master Po
04-20-2014, 09:24 AM
If my laptop would run on Intel HD, I would know, lol. Cus I would probably lag on Ultra Performance in BF4 or Assassin's Creed Black Flag :p Right. So I'm not sure what you guys mean by switching manually or what not, everything seem to be working here as it should, I guess.