PDA

View Full Version : Need help setting up a SSD in G750 Laptop

atony4688
04-16-2014, 09:15 PM
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, and bought a new ASUS G750JM laptop last week. I added 8 more GB of RAM and saw that there is an open hard drive bay. So yesterday I picked up an Intel SSD 530 series 240GB. I originally thought i just install it into the bay and use it. Apparently the main benefit of these SSD's is their speed so I would like to move the OS Windows 8, and the programs over to the new drive, but I am not sure how to do that. the new drive says it has migration software, but I have never don it before and I'm a little hesitant. I know I should create a system image backup, do you have any advice on where or how to do this? then do I install the new drive, run the software and it migrates everything over? can i then delete all of this off of the original drive? and finally does it matter which drive goes in which bay in terms of speed or functionality. I would appreciate any help, i am just a little hesitant to take this new laptop and try something that might mess it up. Thanks for your time.

-Anthony

pokerface
04-16-2014, 09:34 PM
the SSD needs to bay in Bay 0 for maximum speed

I am assuming the original HDD was in bay 0 so just swap them

before you do anything

download asus backtracker, then create a backup of your recovery partition to a 16 GB or more flash disk

now...

remove your HDD

install your SSD ONLY

start your computer while holding the ESC ke

then select to boot from the USB in UEFI mode you will see that option

let asus backtracker do its thing and restore back your system partition onto your new SSD

once you're in the OS, you will have to set everything up like you just bought the laptop

next, install your HDD then move the data that you need around

then format your HDD and use it for storage of files like music, movies, software , etc

Prostar Computer
04-16-2014, 09:44 PM
You can use pokerface's suggestion if you aren't concerned with losing anything you've saved thus far. If you do have thing you'd like to preserve, then using that method will render it unrecoverable, as this will take the factory image and put it on the new drive.

I don't know what imaging/migration software came with your SSD, but Clonezilla and EaseUs are free and simple programs to use for cloning. Acronis is very good too, albeit not free. ;) You can create a system image with said tools, or you can use the "Create a system image" tool within Windows. To do it within Windows, go to Control Panel/Backup and Restore/Create a system image, then go through the prompts.

Most people prefer third party programs, but it's up to you what you'd like to use.

atony4688
04-17-2014, 01:58 AM
On backtracker, do I want backup factory image, backup Asus driver/application, or system recovery?

pokerface
04-17-2014, 02:32 AM
factory image

so when you restore it on the new SSD, it will be exactly as if you just opened the laptop from the box, the SSD will be split into 3 partitions (2 usable and 1 recovery which you can delete since you have already backed using BackTracker) just the same way it was when you bought it

Clintlgm
04-17-2014, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't recommend deleting any partitions from your SSD.
Be sure to removed you old hard drive from your notebook and installing your SSD in the Slot 0 before restoring with backtracker. Do the restore and boot into the OS on the SSD
After that then you can put your old hard drive back into Slot 1. On boot up hit your Esc key that will bring up a boot menu select your new SSD to boot from. Your old hard drive should take up Drive letter e and f? go to the old C:/windows and Name it window.old. that will disable it but you will still be able to move data if you like from the windows.old to the new windows.
You can use something like Minitool partition wizard (http://minitool-partition-wizard-home-edition.soft32.com/free-download/?lp=dsa&tg=us&kw=_inpage%3AHome+Windows+System+Utilities+HardDis k+Tools&mt=b&ad=42897081318&pl=&ds=s&gclid=COXwica56L0CFTMV7AodF3MAZg)to change partition's merge or delete set up however you like. The free version is all you need.

If you want to just clone your old hard drive to your new SSD, I would recommend Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)it has been use by many in these forums with great success. Acronis won't work unless you have the very latest revision of 2014 and I still wouldn't trust it. There Could be others that work for UEFI systems, However Macrium Reflect has been working great since 2012. Again all you need is the Free version.

atony4688
04-17-2014, 11:56 PM
ok, I followed your steps and now when I look at the drives in the my computer screen, it shows my SSD which was sold as a 240 GB as only having 89.4 total GB, and the old HDD as having 113 GB when it had 1TB or nine hundred something GB, is there something else I need to do before I reinstall programs to regain full use of the drive?

atony4688
04-18-2014, 12:17 AM
ok, I don't think it reconizes the old HDD, I installed the partition wizard, and this is what it shows, 35882 do I need all these partitions?

atony4688
04-18-2014, 01:14 AM
Ok, I found the terabyte drive and got that to work, I was going to use it for files, pics, music, and documents. I would like to use the SSD for OS and applications. Is there a way to merge the partition with the os (C partition) and the one it named Data (E partition)? That way I would have enough space for applications. And finally do I need all these recovery partitions? Thanks for your time and patience.

Clintlgm
04-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Yes you need the recovery partitions they don't take up much space.
Remove your 1TB hard Drive.
Clean your e:\ it will become unused space. then expand C:\ to take up that empty space.
Shut down and put your 1TB back into the Slot 1 your SSD Should be in Slot 0
Hit the Esc key on boot up and select your SSD to boot from. You then should have your SSD C:\ and 1TB hard drive D:\ and E:' everything should be running. Don't forget to rename you old windows on you 1TB D:\ to window.old.
If you want some of your programs on your SSD you will have to reinstall them there.
I would advise not trying to merge c:\ and e:\ I think this will cause you issues with broken link etc.

nview
04-21-2014, 02:40 PM
In which format does backtracker format the ssd on first run? In gpt mode?

I'm sorry for my english!

hmscott
04-21-2014, 09:04 PM
In which format does backtracker format the ssd on first run? In gpt mode?

I'm sorry for my english!

Yes, whatever it was formatted, Backtracker restore will blow it away and set it up as GPT with the exact same partitioning as the laptop was new. Also, it will blow away the data/partitions on the 2nd bay drive if it is installed, so be sure and remove it if you want to preserve the data. Backtracker restore will run ok with only 1 drive in the laptop.

nview
04-25-2014, 10:24 AM
Yes, whatever it was formatted, Backtracker restore will blow it away and set it up as GPT with the exact same partitioning as the laptop was new. Also, it will blow away the data/partitions on the 2nd bay drive if it is installed, so be sure and remove it if you want to preserve the data. Backtracker restore will run ok with only 1 drive in the laptop.

thank you very much!!! ;)

TylC9
05-29-2014, 10:52 PM
Hi i just bought a new g750 and have the same question. However, what if i plug the new ssd in before turning my laptop on for the first time ? Will that be easier ?
Also, if i follow your way, how do i plug my hdd back ? how do "format" it ( i know nothing about laptop )
Last question is, i called asus technical support and they said that if i use asus backtracker to create an image in flash dirve, i will need window 8 key ? So is that true ? ( they also refused to help me with upgrading ssd)

hmscott
05-30-2014, 02:10 AM
Hi i just bought a new g750 and have the same question. However, what if i plug the new ssd in before turning my laptop on for the first time ? Will that be easier ?
Also, if i follow your way, how do i plug my hdd back ? how do "format" it ( i know nothing about laptop )
Last question is, i called asus technical support and they said that if i use asus backtracker to create an image in flash dirve, i will need window 8 key ? So is that true ? ( they also refused to help me with upgrading ssd)

TyIC0, keep reading, there are lots of posts on how to do the HD to SSD process. Read a bunch of them, carefully taking notes on what process to follow, and wait until you have a good handle on the process before attempting it.

When you no longer think it is a good idea to format the drive containing your only copy of your OS / recovery partitions, you are getting close to being ready. :)

Asus isn't going to help you because those are end user questions about modifying the G750 beyond what they sold you. From their point of view you should have purchased the next model up with an SSD from them, if you wanted an SSD. Asus will support you on what you purchased, but they won't help you make improvements or hardware changes. They have written guidelines on how to change memory and disk in the manual and online; download and read the manual.

You don't need a Windows key to use a cloned copy of your HD onto the SSD, and you don't need a Windows key to restore / recover the Asus OEM Windows restore from the Asus Backtracker flash drive you will create to backup your G750 HD recovery partitions.

Come back with a list of your steps for the process when you are ready and someone here will be happy to help fill out the missing steps and help you get it done. :)

letmeasusbro
05-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Yes you need the recovery partitions they don't take up much space.
Remove your 1TB hard Drive.
Clean your e:\ it will become unused space. then expand C:\ to take up that empty space.
Shut down and put your 1TB back into the Slot 1 your SSD Should be in Slot 0
Hit the Esc key on boot up and select your SSD to boot from. You then should have your SSD C:\ and 1TB hard drive D:\ and E:' everything should be running. Don't forget to rename you old windows on you 1TB D:\ to window.old.
If you want some of your programs on your SSD you will have to reinstall them there.
I would advise not trying to merge c:\ and e:\ I think this will cause you issues with broken link etc.

I'm following all the way up until the last line where you say you wouldn't advise trying to merge c:\ and e:\... are you talking about the c:\ and e:\ shown in his picture, or what would become c:\ and e:\ after he does the steps you outline?

I too am interested in installing a 500 gb SSD drive in slot 0 and moving the 1 TB HD to slot 1. I plan on following your steps to clean out my version of e:\ (the data) and then expand the c:\ (the OS partition) to effectively eliminate that. What I then want to do with the 1 TB HD is keep the recovery partition so I've got a copy of it on each drive, then I just want one data partition, so I will delete the OS from the 1 TB HD since I'll be running my OS from my SSD already. Is there anything wrong/risky with this plan? I'm not sure what was meant by broken links.

Clintlgm
05-30-2014, 08:06 PM
I would have the new 500GB SSD in two partitions C:\ for OS only and D:\ for Programs. Then old 1 TB one partition data only

Broken links happen when you Cut Copy and paste. Less likely is you move things the OS will try to keep up with where things are. With Data only it not a problem. If you try to move programs some will become disconnected Broken links. Programs really need to be reinstalled, unless your restoring an Image to the same partition or a similar partition with the same drive letter.

letmeasusbro
05-30-2014, 10:12 PM
I would have the new 500GB SSD in two partitions C:\ for OS only and D:\ for Programs. Then old 1 TB one partition data only

Broken links happen when you Cut Copy and paste. Less likely is you move things the OS will try to keep up with where things are. With Data only it not a problem. If you try to move programs some will become disconnected Broken links. Programs really need to be reinstalled, unless your restoring an Image to the same partition or a similar partition with the same drive letter.

How much room would you use for the OS partition?

TylC9
06-07-2014, 03:17 AM
thank you a lot, i am still searching around until im ready to handle those stuffs. Anyway, so set the new SSD before first time turning laptop on wont make any change that what you mean ?

hmscott
06-07-2014, 04:14 AM
thank you a lot, i am still searching around until im ready to handle those stuffs. Anyway, so set the new SSD before first time turning laptop on wont make any change that what you mean ?

TylC9, no, I mean you don't want to pull the HD and replace it with the SSD before turning on, don't do that :)

You need to turn on the laptop, make the Asus Backtracker flash drive backup, and then shutdown and swap the SSD into the place of the HD, and leave the HD out of the laptop.

Then power up, hit ESC immediately to get the boot menu, select the Flash drive to boot, and then do the restore recovery to the SSD.

TylC9
06-07-2014, 10:01 PM
got you, from what i understood
1.turn laptop on and set window 8 up like normal
2. download asus backtracker ( this software will pretty much do everything by itself? )
3. backup everything in flash drive ( im using 1tb wd 3.0 usb hdd)
4. turn laptop off, take battery out, take the hdd out, then put ssd in, then turn it on like normal
5. press esc, select flash drive to boot,
6. do restore and recovery ? ( press F2??)
8. push hdd back on the other tray
Did i understand it correctly ?
thank you so much

hmscott
06-07-2014, 10:24 PM
got you, from what i understood
1.turn laptop on and set window 8 up like normal
2. download asus backtracker ( this software will pretty much do everything by itself? )
3. backup everything in flash drive ( im using 1tb wd 3.0 usb hdd)
4. turn laptop off, take battery out, take the hdd out, then put ssd in, then turn it on like normal
5. press esc, select flash drive to boot,
6. do restore and recovery ? ( press F2??)
8. push hdd back on the other tray
Did i understand it correctly ?
thank you so much

TylC9, you make it sound so easy :)

3) => The Asus Backtracker only backs up the recovery partition OS/apps to rebuild the system, nothing else - no personal data / etc. It only creates and uses a maximum of 20GB partition - no matter how large the device. It is recommended to use a USB 3.0 Flash drive of 16GB because it is right sized to the job. It will format all the 16GB and use about 12.5GB, leaving some room for stuff you want - I put on a 7-zip'd archive of C:\eSupport.

Otherwise looks good. Read the docs for Asus Backtracker too.

If you have a new JM/JS/JZ download from the JM download area => Utilities => Asus Backtracker Version V3.0.4
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JM/HelpDesk_Download/

I haven't tried that version on my JW/JX/JH, I use the Version V3.0.3 downloaded from here:
http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS%20Backtracker/HelpDesk_Download/

Remember, the faster the USB 3.0 flash drive, the quicker the creation of the recovery flash backup and the faster the OS creation on the new SSD.

TylC9
06-10-2014, 10:48 PM
TylC9, you make it sound so easy :)

3) => The Asus Backtracker only backs up the recovery partition OS/apps to rebuild the system, nothing else - no personal data / etc. It only creates and uses a maximum of 20GB partition - no matter how large the device. It is recommended to use a USB 3.0 Flash drive of 16GB because it is right sized to the job. It will format all the 16GB and use about 12.5GB, leaving some room for stuff you want - I put on a 7-zip'd archive of C:\eSupport.

Otherwise looks good. Read the docs for Asus Backtracker too.

If you have a new JM/JS/JZ download from the JM download area => Utilities => Asus Backtracker Version V3.0.4
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JM/HelpDesk_Download/

I haven't tried that version on my JW/JX/JH, I use the Version V3.0.3 downloaded from here:
http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS%20Backtracker/HelpDesk_Download/

Remember, the faster the USB 3.0 flash drive, the quicker the creation of the recovery flash backup and the faster the OS creation on the new SSD.

I make it sound easy :), hopefully it is a compliment :)
i don't have 16gb flash so i will use my 500gb portable drive anyway. The date is not so important for me since i saved all of my date in the other laptop, i use this one for gaming (lol,steam few hours downloading not a big deal) and editing only.
thank you anyway, helped me solved my problem :))

hmscott
06-11-2014, 01:42 AM
I make it sound easy :), hopefully it is a compliment :)
i don't have 16gb flash so i will use my 500gb portable drive anyway. The date is not so important for me since i saved all of my date in the other laptop, i use this one for gaming (lol,steam few hours downloading not a big deal) and editing only.
thank you anyway, helped me solved my problem :))

TylC9, yes it is a compliment :)

Let us know how the USB drive works for the Asus Backtracker backup. I would think it is too slow, and worse, you now have to dedicate that drive to hold the Asus OS Recovery as long as you have the laptop, that is why I recommend a dedicate flash drive as well, since it is cheap and easy to store long term - and you won't be tempted in an emergency to blow it away for another need.

If you want to delete the recovery partition on the new SSD boot drive, so you can combine partitions and get a larger C drive - when you delete the recovery partition on the SSD, you must keep the recovery drive you created as it is the only way to restore back to the original OS install - should something happen to the C drive/SSD boot drive.

Let us know how it goes :)

TylC9
06-12-2014, 12:03 AM
I heard some said that combination between a hdd and ssd will decrease speed ? so anyway i plan to get 2 ssd. 1 for window 8, c drive will be samsung evo 840 120gb, the other tray i will use kingston 240gb, only for 90 bucks since i dont save my programs and window in this drive. and combine partition sounds hard for me :)))
I am currently now busy with my final and i will keep reading more until im so so confident about ability, dont want to brake my monster :)
anyway thank you a lot

Bgallodoro24
06-12-2014, 12:27 AM
Well i can tell you to keep reading lol. I tried moving my programs around today between my ssd and hdd and ended up screwing everything up. Some files disnt move completly and therefore wouldnt open. I ended up using my flash drive and starting over. Not a big deal since computer is only a few week old. This time im leaving all os and program files on ssd and putting games and videos on hdd.

On a side note, what is difference between program files and program file x86? Im thinking all the files in the non 86 folder are for all the apps in start menu.

hmscott
06-12-2014, 04:49 AM
On a side note, what is difference between program files and program file x86? Im thinking all the files in the non 86 folder are for all the apps in start menu.

Bgallodoro24, Program Files has the native 64bit apps for the 64 bit version of Windows you have installed. The x86 Program Files has the 32 bit applications on a 64 bit Windows install. If you had a 32 bit Windows installed, there would only be a Program Files folder.