PDA

View Full Version : How\where\can I buy a screen for my new G750JZ?

Master Po
04-17-2014, 09:29 AM
The flicker, waves, lines, they have been present on all my 6 ASUS G-series products.
So I know there is no use to replace it, as it seem to be a standard issue with the screen.

Can't say it's NVIDIA because I'm using the Intel HD now in Windows.

So I thought, only solution is to buy a screen, replace it manually myself?
Now first.. is that possible?
And can you buy screens for G750JZ that has better quality and ship to Norway? :confused:

Looking at the lines for 10 minutes, make me see lines on my couch or black TV screen, it's not pleasent.

jmhdj
04-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Hi. I have replaced screen on my g750jx. With glossy one that fixed backlight bleeding from right side of the screen. But What wawes you are mentioning as I have not noticed that? Your best bet is ebay I got mine there but you can check on finn.no I saw some annonser there.
Btw I am from Norway to :)

PS. Gratulerer med ny maskin.

hmscott
04-17-2014, 10:08 AM
The flicker, waves, lines, they have been present on all my 6 ASUS G-series products.
So I know there is no use to replace it, as it seem to be a standard issue with the screen.

Can't say it's NVIDIA because I'm using the Intel HD now in Windows.

So I thought, only solution is to buy a screen, replace it manually myself?
Now first.. is that possible?
And can you buy screens for G750JZ that has better quality and ship to Norway? :confused:

Looking at the lines for 10 minutes, make me see lines on my couch or black TV screen, it's not pleasent.

It is too bad that you are affected by this problem Master Po, and others have come and gone trying to replace the screen - some did and found no difference - even between 3 different screens in the same laptop.

I didn't have a problem with my Chi Mei screens, most others don't either.

It is likely a defect in the laptop you have, and sending it in to Asus to repair it is the best / only choice available - besides taking it back and looking for another example to see if it works better for you.

Give Asus a chance to make it right for you, if you don't give Asus a chance to fix it, and therefore the problem still exists, please don't keep coming back here and repeat posting negative comments - if Asus can't fix it, then please do come back and let us know :)

The Chi Mei screen needs to have the refresh set above 85hz to stop the flicker - set up a Custom Resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel. Uninstalling Splendid will improve the color balance. And setting the Nvidia 3D settings from Quality to Performance - or the other way around depending on how you have it set now, might affect the issue. If you haven't tried these tunings yet, give them a try and see if the performance of the screen improves.

Master Po
04-17-2014, 12:19 PM
It does not show so much, it's like extreme weak waves that move from the bottom of the screen upwards, visible more on dark \ gray backgrounds like this forum.

When gaming, I don't notice it. Only notice those extreme tiny squares that make all colors that are suppose to be completely white, red, blue or whatever show like they have tiny squares of that color instead of flat color. Maybe that's the screen, I don't know.

Just replaced 5 G75 because of this previously, no use. But I'm RMA my G75 to see if they can do anything with the screen, I'll see what they do about that one first. :) Thanks.

(I'm very happy with G750 when comes to gaming, there isn't really any noticeable issues with the screen there.)

KoolASUS
04-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Master Po, PLEASE READ THIS :

YOU CAN NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM BY CHANGING THE SCREEN : I TRIED, and the lines were still there.
I changed the AUO 219D (matte) for a LG-Philips LP173WF1, glossy : SAME PROBLEM. (the only difference : the AUO has vertical lines , and the LG has horizontal lines).

IT IS NOT THE SCREEN. It is the G750 ITSELF. (motherboard ?????)

Read the multiple threads about this issue.

Many users are not sensitive to these lines, so they don't care too much about it.

There is NO fix.

Master Po
04-17-2014, 05:36 PM
MasterPro, PLEASE READ THIS :

YOU CAN NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM BY CHANGING THE SCREEN : I TRIED, and the lines were still there.
I changed the AUO 219D (matte) for a LG-Philips LP173WF1, glossy : SAME PROBLEM. (the only difference : the AUO has vertical lines , and the LG has horizontal lines).

IT IS NOT THE SCREEN. It is the G750 ITSELF. (motherboard ?????)

Read the multiple threads about this issue.

Many users are not sensitive to these lines, so they don't care too much about it.

There is NO fix.
That's a shame, if it is the motherboard? Perhaps BIOS update (future update) can solve?

KoolASUS
04-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Well, ASUS knows about this since September 2013, never acknowledged it, never commented it.
You can see tons of reports on German and French sites too.
They probably don't know what causes the problem.

hmscott
04-17-2014, 10:08 PM
MasterPro, PLEASE READ THIS :

There is NO fix.

Did you RMA to Asus to give Asus a chance to fix the problem KoolAsus?

If you didn't send it in to Asus for RMA, then you don't know that there is "NO fix".

You only know that you couldn't fix it.

KoolASUS
04-18-2014, 08:39 AM
You know very well that other members tried to "RMA", as you say, and it changed nothing. It's a design flaw, period.
There are many threads in UK, German & French Asus users forums.

Give me ONE example of a person who
1) had this problem.
2) said it was totally fixed after a "RMA".

There was one guy who sent his G750 for an RMA, and it didn't work.

The only workaround is :
1) artificially increasing the refresh rate. (that is by itself not a thing you would do if there was no problem : it is NOT normal to do this)
2) using one of the latest Nvidia drivers, which transform the lines into little squares. (or a "grid")
3) trying to find a color setting (brightness, gamma, saturation) where the phenomenon is less obvious.

Master Po, do as you want; I'm only trying to be honest with you and save you another disappointment. RMA if you wish, but I'm 150% sure it won't solve your problem.
Sometimes people think they have fixed it because they have another screen OR they have changed the color settings (or they RMA'ed the laptop), only to say after a while : "uuuuh, well, it's still there" , because when you change the color settings, the lines appear on DIFFERENT images, on DIFFERENT combination of brightness/colors.

People who don't see the problem are either extremely lucky, or just appear to be less sensitive and don't put their eyes at 10-5 cm of the screen like I often do (bad eyes).

Master Po
04-18-2014, 09:01 AM
You know very well that other members tried to "RMA", as you say, and it changed nothing. It's a design flaw, period.
There are many threads in UK, German & French Asus users forums.

Give me ONE example of a person who
1) had this problem.
2) said it was totally fixed after a "RMA".

The only workaround is :
1) artificially increasing the refresh rate. (that is by itself not a thing you would do if there was no problem : it is NOT normal to do this)
2) using one of the latest Nvidia drivers, which transform the lines into little squares. (or a "grid")
3) trying to find a color setting (brightness, gamma, saturation) where the phenomenon is less obvious.

MasterPro, do as you want; I'm only trying to be honest with you and save you another disappointment. RMA if you wish, but I'm 150% sure it won't solve your problem.
Sometimes people think they have fixed it because they have another screen OR they have changed the color settings, only to say after a while : "uuuuh, well, it's still there" , because when you change the color settings, the lines appear on DIFFERENT images, on DIFFERENT combination of brightness/colors.

People who don't see the problem are either extremely lucky, or just appear to be less sensitive and don't put their eyes at 10-5 cm of the screen like I often do (bad eyes).
Grid, that's the word for what I see.
But to be honest, if I use HD I cable to my TV.. it doesn't show these errors on that screen.

So I'm thinking what if it is the cable thatis fault.. that go from A (graphic card) to B (B being the laptop screen)?

hmscott
04-18-2014, 09:05 AM
You know very well that other members tried to "RMA", as you say, and it changed nothing.

KoolASUS, I haven't seen a single person send it in for RMA and report back here that they did not get the problem fixed.

Instead of sending it in for RMA, you went ahead and spent time and money trying to fix it yourself by swapping screens.

Now you think can't send it in for RMA to Asus because Asus won't do the repair as you voided the warranty by trying to fix it yourself.

Asus is a great company, that wants their customers to be happy with their products. They will RMA your laptop and fix the problem. Give it try.

Explain the problem to Asus, in as much detail as you need, and let Asus have a shot at fixing the problem.

My G750JH screen doesn't have lines, crawling or otherwise, and none of the other G750's I have seen have that problem either.

So Asus can build a G750 without the problem, which means Asus can fix a G750 with your problem, or replace it with a G750 that doesn't have the problem.

You could have a fixed and working to your satisfaction G750, but you choose not to, why is that?

KoolASUS
04-18-2014, 09:06 AM
But to be honest, if I use HD I cable to my TV.. it doesn't show these errors on that screen.

So I'm thinking what if it is the cable thatis fault.. that go from A (graphic card) to B (B being the laptop screen)?

Master Po,
I don't see the effect on an external monitor either. This was also confirmed by others.
It's curious indeed. But I really doubt that all G750 have a bad cable. And this effect doesn't "look like" a cable fault. Must be something else. AND, you would think that ASUS could have changed the cables for the new series (JZ and so), if it was SO easy.

by the way, other members here consider that it is "fixed" with the "grid" caused by the latest drivers, because it's less annoying for them than the lines.

It's up to you, though : do as HMScott suggests, if you want to go for it, so we'll know.

The "RMA" thing works only in some countries, like the USA. In others (Europe), you must return the laptop to the physical shop or internet site (Amazon or others) you bought it. If you didn't bought it directly from Asus, you can't (obviously) send it back to Asus.

hmscott
04-18-2014, 09:23 AM

There are different driver electronics to feed the screen, it is possible that out of spec parts, bad batches, incorrect substitutions - close enough for production work - but not really - could be to blame.

I have seen heat and non-heat tolerant parts cause screen lines over time, as the parts drift out of spec, which means out of spec parts put in during production can cause the problem immediately.

By this time Asus must be aware of the issue, and the solutions.

If you file a Technical Inquiry with the problem you are seeing, with as much perspective as you can give, screen photo's zipped up and attached to the TI, and if you can give them a re-creatable instance / example they can use to replicate the problem, or show it doesn't happen on all G750's, Asus can either tell you that they can fix it via RMA, or that they can't fix it.

Let us know how it works out :)

hmscott
04-18-2014, 09:33 AM
...The "RMA" thing works only in some countries, like the USA. In others (Europe), you must return the laptop to the physical shop or internet site (Amazon or others) you bought it. If you didn't bought it directly from Asus, you can't (obviously) send it back to Asus...

KoolASUS, I didn't know you couldn't return it for RMA to Asus, that sucks :(

Asus has an International 1 to 2 year Warranty that would include fixing the laptop by returning the laptop to Asus for RMA.

Here is the Sticky for World-Wide RMA:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34832-ASUS-Worldwide-RMA-Guide&p=284215&viewfull=1#post284215

Who told you Asus wouldn't honor their Warranty, and why?

When you contacted Asus they told you to return it to the seller for repair and support, and that the Asus International Warranty isn't supported in/from your Country? What Country is it? Are there other European Countries that Asus doesn't honor their International Warranty?

KoolASUS
04-18-2014, 01:54 PM
When you contacted Asus they told you to return it to the seller for repair and support
Yes.

I'm in France.

Thestroj
04-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Just want to give my 2 cents here...

I also have the flickering lines problem, but the funny thing is that if i plug ext monitor in it also has the lines... didnt try the TV though...

I also have a question, I got my G750JX in 7.2013, can i still RMA? What can i do? Cause i think its getting worst.
Now i can see the lines all the time. At first there were lines only at light gray shades, then it slowly got worst and worst and worst... I'm wondering how it will be in another 6 months...

The problem is im an independed gaphic designer, and i need my laptop's monitor to be in top shape. I just cant afford to be without my laptop for a month or even more. And then maybe not even getting it back fixed. Caus i havent found a single person who managed to fix this issue..

What shuld i do?

Thx and take care

hmscott
04-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Just want to give my 2 cents here...

I also have the flickering lines problem, but the funny thing is that if i plug ext monitor in it also has the lines... didnt try the TV though...

I also have a question, I got my G750JX in 7.2013, can i still RMA? What can i do? Cause i think its getting worst.
Now i can see the lines all the time. At first there were lines only at light gray shades, then it slowly got worst and worst and worst... I'm wondering how it will be in another 6 months...

The problem is im an independed gaphic designer, and i need my laptop's monitor to be in top shape. I just cant afford to be without my laptop for a month or even more. And then maybe not even getting it back fixed. Caus i havent found a single person who managed to fix this issue..

What shuld i do?

Thx and take care

Thestroj, if the problem is getting worse, it is likely a component out of spec, going further out of spec. I have seen this before when a manufacturer substitutes, for exampe 10% instead of 5% tolerance parts, tighter spec parts specified in a tuned circuit are also common, and out of spec parts in such a circuit will cause problems over time as the part value drifts due to heat and age.

Describe the problem, in every mode you notice it, provide photo's if you can - zip them up into a file you can attach to the Technical Inquiry, you can file here:

http://vip.asus.com

Asus gives a 1 or 2 year warranty, so you stil have a couple of months of a 1 year warranty... time to RMA is now :)

The time out for the laptop to get repaired varies according to if they have inventory of replacement parts, or if they have to order them. Which country/location is the closest Asus repair depot for you? If you are close enough to drive it in, you might be able to drop it off and pick it up from Will call. Only a few locations do that though, so it is likely you will need to ship it to Asus - I always ship overnight and request the same return shipping when doing an RMA - some places respect that and respond accordingly.

Based on your report, I am thinking this problem is something that will progress over time for others too, so please report back here so they can benefit from your experience, let us know how it works out and how long it took - and ask for details as to what was replaced/fixed.

Master Po
04-20-2014, 05:33 PM
I have the AUO219D (produced 2012) that many report having grid on the screen, so white isn't clear white but white in grid. (Any color for that matter). So my entire screen is a grid over everything on my screen.

KoolASUS
04-20-2014, 06:16 PM
It's normal, it's the "grid effect" induced by the latest Nvidia drivers on the G750 screens.
You didn't say which Nvidia driver version you have, exactly. 33X.XX ?

Master Po
04-20-2014, 06:27 PM
It's normal, it's the "grid effect" induced by the latest Nvidia drivers on the G750 screens.
You didn't say which Nvidia driver version you have, exactly. 33X.XX ?
Perhaps I used the wrong word?

I can't see how white showing up with vertical and horizontal black lines is normal? White is suppose to be white, not white with little extra black boxes filled with white color in them.

*shrugh* It's the same if I'm on NVIDIA or the Intel HD, anyways I'm using the latest NVIDIA drivers.

KoolASUS
04-20-2014, 07:25 PM
I have the 311.83 (stock drivers with a JH), and have vertical lines, only in some dark colors. So it's bearable.
It's what I tried to explain to you since several days : the whole G750 series has a flaw. Some users don't mind, some do.
Try to "RMA" if you can (dunno if it will change something - remember my PM ?), or return the laptop.
There have been so many threads here about this, and they all "running in circles" (I mean nothing constructive comes ever out)...................
Really, nothing more can be said.

Master Po
04-20-2014, 09:44 PM
No, I don't have those vertical lines in dark colors, I have just tiny squares instead of flat pure color in grey areas.

KoolASUS
04-21-2014, 08:43 AM
As I said : the vertical (or horizontal) lines only appear with older Nvidia drivers (that you couldn't use anyway because you have a Geforce 880M).
But the cause is the same.