PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750JX Memory Upgrade Issue

GoreRanger
04-19-2014, 06:44 PM
I have a 750JX that came with 16 gb of stock Samsung memory (pc 3 12800) onboard. The 2 expansion slots available on the back of the notebook were empty. I purchased 2 gskill dimms (pc 3 112800) running 11 11 11 28 @ 1.35V. The notebook came with windows 8 on the harddrive. I purchased a Samsung 840 SSD and did a clean install of Windows 8.1 on that drive and wiped the original harddrive.

The problem I am having is when the 2 gskill dimms are installed I get a host of different BSODs. And I mean all over the board different. I could list the different ones and will if someone thinks it will be helpful. But, they all seem to point to internal kernal issues and usually reference an unidentified bad driver or software error. Because I got so many different errors and I couldn't identify a driver or software culprit I uninstalled the gskils. No more BSODs. I RMA'd the two dimms and they sent me two more. Same problem when the new dimms were installed. So I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here. Maybe I got 2 bad sets of dimms but that seems unlikely. Is there a compatibility issue with the stock memory? What have others used to upgrade their notebooks successfully? Or is this a Windows 8 problem? I'm not very happy with Windows 8 at this point. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Also for reference the exact gskills model is - F3-1600C11D-16GRSL

hmscott
04-20-2014, 10:54 PM
I have a 750JX that came with 16 gb of stock Samsung memory (pc 3 12800) onboard. The 2 expansion slots available on the back of the notebook were empty. I purchased 2 gskill dimms (pc 3 112800) running 11 11 11 28 @ 1.35V. The notebook came with windows 8 on the harddrive. I purchased a Samsung 840 SSD and did a clean install of Windows 8.1 on that drive and wiped the original harddrive.

The problem I am having is when the 2 gskill dimms are installed I get a host of different BSODs. And I mean all over the board different. I could list the different ones and will if someone thinks it will be helpful. But, they all seem to point to internal kernal issues and usually reference an unidentified bad driver or software error. Because I got so many different errors and I couldn't identify a driver or software culprit I uninstalled the gskils. No more BSODs. I RMA'd the two dimms and they sent me two more. Same problem when the new dimms were installed. So I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here. Maybe I got 2 bad sets of dimms but that seems unlikely. Is there a compatibility issue with the stock memory? What have others used to upgrade their notebooks successfully? Or is this a Windows 8 problem? I'm not very happy with Windows 8 at this point. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Also for reference the exact gskills model is - F3-1600C11D-16GRSL

GoreRanger, you need to find out the exact Samsung memory module info for the SODIMM's installed in your G750.

Then you can look up the specs for that part and compare to the G.Skill. Even so, incompatibilities with memory exist outside the specs, in my experience you either substitute all the memory with your dream memory - or you match the make/model of the memory already installed.

Asus can use different parts in each run of laptop builds, different makes, models, and even characteristics. My JH came with 3 8GB sticks of Hynix memory, which I matched by buying a 4th SODIMM of the exact same make/model - $99 on Ebay. Works great.

You can find out the make / model of the memory by using several different programs. The easiest / quickest is CPU-Z. Go to the SPD tab and you can select each RAM slot and get the details.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Here is my JH

Here is what was in my JX

I looked up my Hynix 8GB part number and found the replacement for $99 on Ebay. Works great :)

In your case you want to upgrade to large than original memory, so you need to not just find the part number for the 4GB SODIMM's, you need to find the 8GB model in the same family, as it should be the most compatible. :)

Using my JX Samsung memory as an example, 4GB Samsung m471b5173bh0-yk0 has an 8GB sister SODIMM: M471B1G73BH0-YK0

Found it by googling with the part number you have and 8GB, I was looking for the Samsung site, and the Intel paper came up first. Looking in the table of compatible SODIMM's yielded several Samsung 4GB/8GB pairings, and the model number M471B5 prefix directs you to make the match, matching the 4GB and 8GB parts.

http://www.intel.cn/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/platform-memory/ddr3l-1600-n-ecc-sodimm-haswell-validation-results.pdf

Now you can google for the best price / your favorite vendor to get a pair of the M471B1G73BH0-YK0

That is, if your Samsung part is the same part I had :)

Double check!

If you are set on G.Skill, and are willing to disassemble to replace all 4 SODIMM's with new parts, I like these:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Laptop Memory Model F3-1866C10D-16GRSL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231709

These were discussed in the memory sticky thread:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1.35V-memory-is-required!&p=316319&viewfull=1#post316319

It's in French, but it is the only video I have seen for disassembly, start around 11:00 where it gets interesting - you will see the other 2 SODIMM slots around 13:15

Here is an article on G750 disassembly in english:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/726296-asus-g750-disassembly.html

Let us know what you find in your laptop, and what works out!

GoreRanger
04-21-2014, 04:46 AM
My stock memory is this - M471B1G73QH0-YK0 . two 8 gb SODimms. They run at 1.35v .

hmscott
04-21-2014, 07:12 AM
My stock memory is this - M471B1G73QH0-YK0 . two 8 gb SODimms. They run at 1.35v .

GoreRanger, there are lots of places offering M471B1G73QH0-YK0 memory :)

singleviking
05-15-2014, 03:23 PM
GoreRanger, you need to find out the exact Samsung memory module info for the SODIMM's installed in your G750.

Then you can look up the specs for that part and compare to the G.Skill. Even so, incompatibilities with memory exist outside the specs, in my experience you either substitute all the memory with your dream memory - or you match the make/model of the memory already installed.

Asus can use different parts in each run of laptop builds, different makes, models, and even characteristics. My JH came with 3 8GB sticks of Hynix memory, which I matched by buying a 4th SODIMM of the exact same make/model - $99 on Ebay. Works great.

You can find out the make / model of the memory by using several different programs. The easiest / quickest is CPU-Z. Go to the SPD tab and you can select each RAM slot and get the details.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Here is my JH

Here is what was in my JX

I looked up my Hynix 8GB part number and found the replacement for $99 on Ebay. Works great :)

In your case you want to upgrade to large than original memory, so you need to not just find the part number for the 4GB SODIMM's, you need to find the 8GB model in the same family, as it should be the most compatible. :)

Using my JX Samsung memory as an example, 4GB Samsung m471b5173bh0-yk0 has an 8GB sister SODIMM: M471B1G73BH0-YK0

Found it by googling with the part number you have and 8GB, I was looking for the Samsung site, and the Intel paper came up first. Looking in the table of compatible SODIMM's yielded several Samsung 4GB/8GB pairings, and the model number M471B5 prefix directs you to make the match, matching the 4GB and 8GB parts.

http://www.intel.cn/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/platform-memory/ddr3l-1600-n-ecc-sodimm-haswell-validation-results.pdf

Now you can google for the best price / your favorite vendor to get a pair of the M471B1G73BH0-YK0

That is, if your Samsung part is the same part I had :)

Double check!

If you are set on G.Skill, and are willing to disassemble to replace all 4 SODIMM's with new parts, I like these:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Laptop Memory Model F3-1866C10D-16GRSL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231709

These were discussed in the memory sticky thread:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1.35V-memory-is-required!&p=316319&viewfull=1#post316319

It's in French, but it is the only video I have seen for disassembly, start around 11:00 where it gets interesting - you will see the other 2 SODIMM slots around 13:15

Here is an article on G750 disassembly in english:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/726296-asus-g750-disassembly.html

Let us know what you find in your laptop, and what works out!

Hi. I got the same memory problems when I tried to upgrade to 32 gig by installing TWO 8 gig modules of VEGEANCE CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 into my G750JX. The modules are recognized during boot but they seem to give numerous errors and problems. I eliminated the problems by only installing ONE 8 gig module and the machine passes all tests. This tells me the system works fine with 24 gig of RAM as long as the new RAM is 1600 mhz.
I discussed this with Microsoft and ASUS and it might be some problem with the OS and not some incompatibility of memory since there's no problems when only ONE 8 gig module is implemented. I agree that you shouldn't try using faster memory than the system was designed for.
Microsoft is sending me a replacement disk for my WINDOWS 8.1 PRO X64 and after I have successfully installed this new OS, I'll post what this improves. Although we only have 2 memory slots to play with, the WINDOWS program is advertised to be able to see up to 512 gig of RAM. First thing is to pass the WINDOWS MEMORY test with 32 gig and to have no crashes and memory errors popping up. I'll be happy with that.
I also upgraded the drives in this G750 so it now has a 1 terabyte SAMSUNG EVO SSD and boots from a WD BLACK2 hybrid SSD/HDD. I can then use a RAMDisk on the SAMSUNG drive for fast access gaming if the RAM is needed in gaming.

hmscott
05-16-2014, 01:52 AM
Hi. I got the same memory problems when I tried to upgrade to 32 gig by installing TWO 8 gig modules of VEGEANCE CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10 into my G750JX. The modules are recognized during boot but they seem to give numerous errors and problems. I eliminated the problems by only installing ONE 8 gig module and the machine passes all tests. This tells me the system works fine with 24 gig of RAM as long as the new RAM is 1600 mhz.
I discussed this with Microsoft and ASUS and it might be some problem with the OS and not some incompatibility of memory since there's no problems when only ONE 8 gig module is implemented. I agree that you shouldn't try using faster memory than the system was designed for.
Microsoft is sending me a replacement disk for my WINDOWS 8.1 PRO X64 and after I have successfully installed this new OS, I'll post what this improves. Although we only have 2 memory slots to play with, the WINDOWS program is advertised to be able to see up to 512 gig of RAM. First thing is to pass the WINDOWS MEMORY test with 32 gig and to have no crashes and memory errors popping up. I'll be happy with that.
I also upgraded the drives in this G750 so it now has a 1 terabyte SAMSUNG EVO SSD and boots from a WD BLACK2 hybrid SSD/HDD. I can then use a RAMDisk on the SAMSUNG drive for fast access gaming if the RAM is needed in gaming.

singleviking, you are wasting your time with this effort, it won't help.

Alot of people have tried Corsair Vengeance memory and it is incompatible with the memory installed from Asus.

You are unfortunate in that it marginally works with 1 stick installed, making you think incorrectly that there is something else other than incompatible memory going on.

I have 32GB of memory, all the same Hynix memory, as described in the thread above. There is no mystery to getting compatible memory, you simply find out what is installed and get the same SODIMM to expand, or the next largest size up in the same memory family.

Just matching published spec's won't always work, and it is not recommended to mix memory modules from different manufacturers or different memory family/lines from the same manufacturer, sometimes it seems to work only to find out later that under load it fails.

I can't tell you how many people I have seen over the years struggle with this simple mind puzzle, insisting that mixed manufacturer/family same spec memory should work - and it doesn't - for some reason their minds can't compute this and their thinking goes off into the weeds trying to come up with logical explanations for why it isn't working - that turn out to not be logical at all :)

Return the Corsair Vengeance, look at what you have installed using CPU-Z, hwinfo64, aida64, and google that part number to find the same size or larger in the same memory family.

Asus, and other manufacturers, use different manufacturer memory during different production runs, so we all don't have the same memory, you have to look for yourself as to what you have installed on your laptop.

You can replace all of the memory in the G750 with the same 4 SODIMM's and then you can use any DDR3L memory you want. Corsair Vengeance DDR3L memory is compatible with the G750, as long as you aren't mixing it with what came with the laptop.

Also, don't use multi-voltage memory, the stuff advertised as 1.5/1.35 it will be seen as 1.5v in the G750, which is bad.

Let us know what you work out :)