PDA

View Full Version : 840 Pro SSD upgrade on G75VW

compgeek
04-21-2014, 09:37 PM
Hello guys, this is my very first post here. Hope you don't mind it is a bit long.

I have a g75vw that came with a 750 gig hd, and have now put in Samsungs 840 pro, 256 gigabyte SSD in second bay.

Of course, I am going to use it as a system drive and would like to transfer my system from the existing drive to SSD. I have surfed around the web, and have seen quite many posts, not less on this board as well, about ASUS not putting any windows image, or recovery media on drive and how to go about. I am sure I can follow some of those guides, for example one with Macrium Reflect, but I have other alternative I found on Samusngs site, and would to hear if somebody have tested it yet

There is a utility callda "Data Migration Tool" on samsungs site that seem to be designed exactly for the purpose of cloning existing systems to Samsungs SSDs:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/about/whitepaper11.html

My question is, have any of you tested this one yet? Does it work? Do you need to switch later on, physical drives in bays, or it is enough to just change drive order in bios (uefi).

I don't have time to do this until 2 or 3 days by now, so maybe you can save me some work if somebody has tested and hit problems with this tool.

Second question is how Windows will react to SSD after I boot into cloned version? A clean install vill optimize system for SSD with regard to cluster size, and write algorithms to minimize wear. I guess if I just clone system, NTFS will use same clustersize as for the old harddrive, and maybe same algorithms to write data, schedule defragmentation and so on. I guess I could change that later on, but I haven't used any SSD yet, so I am not sure. Do you have any good advice about what I can do or what I should think of?

Best regards and thanks for answers

Clintlgm
04-22-2014, 12:17 AM
First thing if you don't want to use Macrium Reflect which is free and works very well. Then use Asus Backtracker (http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS+Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n%2fa) to create a restore to factory condition media. You can restore this media to your new SSD. I wouldn't use the Samsung tool there have been failures in the past, I don't know if Samsung/Ghost has been upgraded to deal with UEFI GPT disk yet?
You can use Samsung Magician to optimize your ssd once you get booted up.

You should put your new SSD in the 0 slot the one where your 750 is now. Leave the 750 HD out of your NB while you restore to your SSD.
once restore is complete you should boot your NB, you may have to hit the esc key to bring up a boot menu you would select your new SSD
If it boots up and everything is running good. Reboot again just to make sure.
On the next shut down put your old Hard Drive back in Slot 1 and reboot hitting the esc key to bring up that boot menu again and select your SSD.
Once in windows the install that is on your SSD remember your going to have 2 working OS's. So what you do is look on your old hard drive and rename windows, windows.old. Once you are confident that the SSD is good to go, just format your old hard drive and partition is as you please for data storage. I use Minitool partition wizard but any good partitioning tool should work for you.

As to your SSD defrage in not used on them. Trim is used and Windows will set that up all on its own. you should insure that defrag is not set to run on your SSD as it will ware it out. Backtracker will sort that all out you shouldn't need to do anything with clusters etc
Also Samsung SSD Magician will optimize your SSD very well

Your system is not BIOS MBR it will be UEFI GPT so when you get ready to set up your 750 you would Clean it then convert to GPT, then partition and format it as you would like

tkolarik
04-23-2014, 05:47 AM
I did something like this when I got my SSD. It ended up being a lot of trouble for little benefit. I would recommend doing a fresh install of your OS of choice on your SSD and wipe the original drive clean and relocate you user files there.

But the way i did mine was first shrink the original drive size, back up the image to my Windows Home Server then restore the image. Both drives will have the same id which could cause problems until you delete original partition.