PDA

View Full Version : G750 JZ 880m hard drive question

neallnufc
04-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Hi is there advantage to having a msata ssd to a normal ssd
my laptop has came with a 256g sandisk ssd and i,m looking to increase the size of the boot drive
i was looking at the samsung evo msata but the drives look different the one installed is approx 100mm long and 25mm wide
question..would the sandisk be installed in some sort of caddy which i could just take out and install a normal ssd
could anyone advise please ?

hmscott
04-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Hi is there advantage to having a msata ssd to a normal ssd
my laptop has came with a 256g sandisk ssd and i,m looking to increase the size of the boot drive
i was looking at the samsung evo msata but the drives look different the one installed is approx 100mm long and 25mm wide
question..would the sandisk be installed in some sort of caddy which i could just take out and install a normal ssd
could anyone advise please ?

neallnufu, good idea asking here :)

The Asus G750JH RAID0 card interface isn't an mSata format interface, it is an NGFF / M.2 Interface, and there aren't a lot of expansion options yet. I am assuming it is the same in the JZ, but you might want to eyeball it by comparing what you have and this photo.

mSata on the left, M.2 / NGFF on the right:

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

Here are some examples of expansion optiosn, but if you already have 1 M.2 Sandisk 256GB, and there is an empty socket next to it, you might consider getting another one for a RAID0 512GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008118&IsNodeId=1&Description=ngff%20ssd&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20

Some are longer than the one in the JH, so upgraders have taped them in place...

Let us know what you find, and decide to upgrade to, and how it performs.

neallnufc
04-22-2014, 10:22 PM
hi thanks for the reply :)

its very similar to the one on the right of the pic ..but it is a lot longer
its a sandisk SD5SE2-256G-1002F
it looks like its in the same sort of caddy as the 1tb drive would it be possible to simply take it out and install a normal ssd?

hmscott
04-23-2014, 04:11 AM
hi thanks for the reply :)

its very similar to the one on the right of the pic ..but it is a lot longer
its a sandisk SD5SE2-256G-1002F
it looks like its in the same sort of caddy as the 1tb drive would it be possible to simply take it out and install a normal ssd?

In the JH the adapter card is the structural element holding the bay 2 connector as well. I haven't seen inside either model of the JZ.

Can you take a picture of the SSD / card / bay so we can see it?

Is there only 1 socket for the existing SSD?

It sounds like you need to unscrew the caddy from the bay, unplug the caddr/drive/adapter, and look at the underside of the caddy to view it - you might need to remove the card/ssd from the caddy if it is mounted facing the shield.

If it is in a removable caddy, and it plugs into a SATA connector in Bay 1, and it is the same SATA connector used in the 2nd bay, then yes, you should be able to unscrew the NGFF M.2 card adapter from the caddy and put in another 2.5" form factor drive in the caddy and plug it in :)

neallnufc
04-24-2014, 06:02 PM

looking at it ,it looks though i can just take it out the caddy and install a new ssd

hmscott
04-24-2014, 07:20 PM
... looking at it ,it looks though i can just take it out the caddy and install a new ssd

neallnufc, yes, it looks like you can remove the NGFF M.2 adapter from the caddy and install your own 2.5" drive :)

Thanks for the great photos!

neallnufc
04-25-2014, 06:48 PM
would there be any performance loss from going from NGFF M.2 drive to a 2.5" 1tb evo ssd ?
also i,m looking at getting another evo 1 tb to raid them together later on

hmscott
04-25-2014, 09:38 PM
would there be any performance loss from going from NGFF M.2 drive to a 2.5" 1tb evo ssd ?
also i,m looking at getting another evo 1 tb to raid them together later on

Any speed benefit the NGFF M.2 drive interface has over the standard 2.5" SATA interface is lost through that NGFF M.2 to 2.5" SATA adapter, so using a higher performing 2.5" SATA drive will provide better speed than the NGFF M.2 drive, the 1TB Evo will be a nice upgrade.

Do some IO performance testing on the M.2 drive while it is installed and compare it against published performance numbers for the same tests for the SSD you want to swap in, and again after you swap in the new SSD to confirm.