PDA

View Full Version : G750JZ w/ Nvidia 880M want to disable Optimus and run only 880M card not Intel

Schenges
04-23-2014, 01:41 AM
So just purchased a G750JZ w/ Nvidia 880M and the notebook is only running the integrated Intel graphics... paid all this money for the worlds best mobile graphics... I don't want to use the stupid integrated graphics Asus and Nvidia what the heck. I understand it runs the integrated to save battery, I don't need to save battery if I plugged into AC. I tried calling Asus tech support and they were useless and clueless, I knew more then they did. The Nvidia control panel will not disable the Intel graphics even after I change settings in it to use the 880M. Can anyone tell me how to disable Optimus and use only 880M, I went into device manager and disabled the Intel graphics but then it also disabled the Nvidia control panel which leads me to believe the 880M still isn't running and isn't the result i'm looking for. Someone help... frustrated, about to return laptop. My other G750 w/ 780M ran the dedicated card 100% of the time.

Moogum
04-23-2014, 01:50 AM
I have the same problem with my 750JM with an 860M, intel onboard takes primary command and cannot disable through device manager. I think it may be the reason my Diablo III will not run with video.

Schenges
04-23-2014, 01:56 AM
Yeah it is a serious problem. The G750's w/ Nvidia 700M series graphics would always run the dedicated graphics which was great... that's why we pay the big bucks for these high end graphics cards... is to use them not the Intel integrated you get when you buy a base line notebook. I hope someone from ASUS ROG reads this and offers incite to a fix as the Asus tech support phone help were clueless.

_
04-23-2014, 03:38 AM
In device manager go to display adapters, then disable Intel HD Graphics. After rebooting this should make your GTX 800 run all the time. This works for me on my G46 and GTX 660M

GottiBoi55
04-23-2014, 04:32 AM
There's two things to do.(steps 4, and 5)

1. Open NVIDIA control panel.
2. Manage 3D settings
3. Global settings tab
4. Power Management Mode settings, select "Prefer Maximum Performance"
5. Preferred Graphic Processor settings, change from "Auto select" to "High Performance NVIDIA Processor"

These settings should use your NVIDIA GTX card for most, but not all programs.

Schenges
04-23-2014, 10:01 AM
I did both ideas and it didn't work. @Gotti changing control panel setting to max performance did nothing. @marshall when I disable the Intel adapter in device manager the Nvidia control panel no longer works saying: You are no longer using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU

rcarver
04-23-2014, 12:30 PM
I have the same problem, but with a G750JM. When I disable the Intel Video My display adapter defaults to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. I even removed the 860M as a device, rebooted and readded it. No Joy.

GottiBoi55
04-23-2014, 11:26 PM
I did both ideas and it didn't work. @Gotti changing control panel setting to max performance did nothing. @marshall when I disable the Intel adapter in device manager the Nvidia control panel no longer works saying: You are no longer using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU

well, it looks like the only solution for this issue is for Asus to address this issue in a BIOS update!

PS: Just wondering, have you looked in the BIOS for any dedicated graphics card settings?
Some other laptop manufactures have settings in the BIOS for the dedicated graphics card.

HomieOC
04-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Gotti boi tip worked for me.. by going into nvdia control panel

Schenges
04-23-2014, 11:47 PM
Yeah I'm taking it back tomorrow, it's BS. I paid a lot of money for the worlds best notebook graphics gpu... all the time. Not just once in awhile and use the integrated card most of the time.

hmscott
04-23-2014, 11:53 PM
Yeah I'm taking it back tomorrow, it's BS. I paid a lot of money for the worlds best notebook graphics gpu... all the time. Not just once in awhile and use the integrated card most of the time.

You might want to put a little more time into figuring out how to control the GPU thing, all Nvidia GTX notebooks are going to be using Optimus, so you will need to adapt to Optimus whatever notebook you end up keeping.

Asus just released this new range of G750's, so improvements in software will follow, if you give Asus / Nvidia your feedback they can respond with a fix. It may seem like they are just trying to frustrate you, but they do want you to be happy with their work :)

Others seem to be able to get it running ok, so have some patience and work it out. G750's are great notebooks, and even though it is a pain to figure out how to get individual apps to only run on GTX, the battery benefits and gaming on battery are improved using Optimus - the GTX all but shuts down on battery so gaming isn't good on GTX on battery - but it still pulls lots of juice so battery run time is less.

If you have 15-30 days to return, you might want to keep it a bit longer and use the time to adapt.

GottiBoi55
04-24-2014, 12:43 AM

Good, glad it worked for you;)

GottiBoi55
04-24-2014, 12:57 AM

Did you change both settings (4&5) in NVIDIA control panel?
This worked for "HomieOC"

Angellus
04-24-2014, 01:03 AM
I changed the global settings in the NVIDIA control panel to High Performance NVIDIA Processor and presto!

Honami
04-24-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm facing diffrent problem. After reboot\Power on the laptop the Nvidia settings is useless and i need to reset to defaults and reconfigure again in order to use Nvidia GPU.
Very strange situation.

hmscott
04-24-2014, 11:06 PM
I'm facing diffrent problem. After reboot\Power on the laptop the Nvidia settings is useless and i need to reset to defaults and reconfigure again in order to use Nvidia GPU.
Very strange situation.

Are you saving your Nvidia changes? The saved changes should stick between reboots.

Vastari
04-25-2014, 01:40 AM
Honestly, what are you missing if you use the Intel card for the 2D stuff?

I've got a G750JM and every 3D game uses nVidia. I'm fine with that since it's more economical. Why pay for the extra power if you don't need it?

hmscott
04-25-2014, 01:59 AM
Honestly, what are you missing if you use the Intel card for the 2D stuff?

I've got a G750JM and every 3D game uses nVidia. I'm fine with that since it's more economical. Why pay for the extra power if you don't need it?

It isn't just the 2D stuff, it is all the 3D stuff that Windows uses now. Everything is GPU accelerated, and by default it uses the Intel on CPU Graphics.

The Intel on CPU graphics heats up the CPU, and it is the same die as the CPU elements, so you are generating a lot more heat that causes the fan to run more often, and the CPU temps on the new Optimus G750's are much higher.

In fact, I think the hot measurements are when the Intel GPU is in play, and the cool CPU readings are when the GTX GPU is in use.

There is no reason to switch the GPU load to the CPU die while on AC, and it is only helpful on Battery for longer run times.

Why Nvidia/Intel don't just switch Intel on on Battery and GTX on while on AC makes no sense.

Why put the user through all these configuration machinations just to get the best performance on AC?

c3141rog
04-25-2014, 08:39 PM
You might want to put a little more time into figuring out how to control the GPU thing, all Nvidia GTX notebooks are going to be using Optimus, so you will need to adapt to Optimus whatever notebook you end up keeping.

Asus just released this new range of G750's, so improvements in software will follow, if you give Asus / Nvidia your feedback they can respond with a fix. It may seem like they are just trying to frustrate you, but they do want you to be happy with their work :)

Others seem to be able to get it running ok, so have some patience and work it out. G750's are great notebooks, and even though it is a pain to figure out how to get individual apps to only run on GTX, the battery benefits and gaming on battery are improved using Optimus - the GTX all but shuts down on battery so gaming isn't good on GTX on battery - but it still pulls lots of juice so battery run time is less.

If you have 15-30 days to return, you might want to keep it a bit longer and use the time to adapt.

The problem with Optimus is that it routes all graphics through the Intel integrated graphics which means that it breaks things like color profile support, digital vibrance, and any other nVidia specific 2D features. There are things that, fundamentally, cannot be fixed in software because it is a problem with the entire design and not a software bug.

hmscott
04-25-2014, 09:27 PM
The problem with Optimus is that it routes all graphics through the Intel integrated graphics which means that it breaks things like color profile support, digital vibrance, and any other nVidia specific 2D features. There are things that, fundamentally, cannot be fixed in software because it is a problem with the entire design and not a software bug.

Have you tried those features on a G750JM/JS/JZ to confirm they are broken? I doubt Nvidia would leave them as options in their control panel if they were installed on Optimus and it didn't work. :)

Art3mis777
05-08-2014, 02:43 AM
Ok, so I was running the XTU stuff and I was getting weird numbers. First, I ran the stress test for around 10 minutes and it reported back that the CPU got up to 87-88C. Then, I went on a little later and ran the Prime95 Benchmark included in the software, got 711 marks, and racked up a max temp of 90C. Is something wrong with the laptop? During regular gaming and stuff like that, I'm don't really ever go above 70-75C (GPU usually gets to around 70C too). I got it from Prostar and they did some customization work on it and I just wanted to know if it is too hot or something. Thanks! And also, I was wondering about this Optimus stuff, and after searching around, I settled on just designating certain programs for use by only the Nvidia GPU. This should get around the whole Optimus BS and I haven't seen it get overruled yet. You can do it in the Nvidia control panel.

hmscott
05-08-2014, 02:54 AM
...asked and answered in another thread you posted...
And also, I was wondering about this Optimus stuff, and after searching around, I settled on just designating certain programs for use by only the Nvidia GPU. This should get around the whole Optimus BS and I haven't seen it get overruled yet. You can do it in the Nvidia control panel.

The problem is the desktop wants to use the Intel GPU, and when you have multiple programs running, some do and some don't use the Nvidia GPU - so there is switching going on all the time - at least that is how it was on other laptops with Optimus I have used - my G750JH doesn't have optimus.

I am/was planning on getting a JZ, so I am concerned about the day to day use of multiple programs running at the same time and how they trip the Nvidia processing on and off as I multitask.

There doesn't seem to be a way, as per this thread title, to disable Optimus / Intel GPU completely, and only use the Nvidia GPU - and yes I do know that all the display outputs come through the Intel GPU - worst idea ever - so you can't completely disable the Intel connection with the video display - I just want to keep the 3D processing and acceleration to go only through the Nvidia. We don't seem to be able to do that.

And, as Windows desktop does more than more 3D assist processing to do it's work, I am concerned about the switching back and forth and how it affects performance - glitches - lags - dropouts - etc.

Art3mis777
05-08-2014, 03:26 AM
Hmmm, well, I am completely new to all of this (bought my JS only a couple weeks ago) and as far as I've seen, everything has worked perfectly. However, I do understand what you're talking about because I can just imagine, like, rendering a video and using the Nvidia GPU and then opening a youtube video to pass the time and the Intel card comes on. With my super-limited knowledge, I think that it'll just be up to Intel or Asus to fiddle with the programming to have the computer prefer the Nvidia GPU for everything, but still route the display through the Intel GPU since that's the one connected to the display. It would be even cooler if you could run both at the same time so that you could be running something like Affter effects or Solidworks on the Nvidia, and then be watching a youtube video or browsing at the same time with no interuption of the speed in either GPU. That may be wishful thinking though.

hmscott
05-08-2014, 03:34 AM
Hmmm, well, I am completely new to all of this (bought my JS only a couple weeks ago) and as far as I've seen, everything has worked perfectly. However, I do understand what you're talking about because I can just imagine, like, rendering a video and using the Nvidia GPU and then opening a youtube video to pass the time and the Intel card comes on. With my super-limited knowledge, I think that it'll just be up to Intel or Asus to fiddle with the programming to have the computer prefer the Nvidia GPU for everything, but still route the display through the Intel GPU since that's the one connected to the display. It would be even cooler if you could run both at the same time so that you could be running something like Affter effects or Solidworks on the Nvidia, and then be watching a youtube video or browsing at the same time with no interuption of the speed in either GPU. That may be wishful thinking though.

Art3mis777, all good thoughts :)

We are also all relying on Intel/Nvidia/Asus to get things running smoothly, and it looks like for the most part it does. Once you figure out how to set an app to Nvidia GPU only, and how to recognize when to do that, it is smooth sailing.

It would be nice to have a switch that says Nvidia only, Intel only, or "please muck around behind my back and then default to Intel Power Saving even while I am on AC power" - unfortunately only the 3rd option is implemented.

Why would we care to use Intel GPU on AC Power, ever? Why add heat to the CPU, and idle the most expensive item in our laptop - the exact item I spent so much money to get - the item that provides the best performance. Why???

I should mention I waiting for the call for my JZ to replace my JH :)

grungeboy
05-08-2014, 09:59 AM
use this
https://app.box.com/shared/v7jpoateoq

it's a program called powermizer switch. on systems that improperly switch, this can be used to disable the powermizer feature. reboot after applying. when installing new drivers the switch will reset to default. after installing new drivers, run the program and again disable powermizer.

it must be run as administrator.

hope this helps.

Zygomorphic
05-08-2014, 10:08 AM
I believe the nVidia driver settings have the ability to add a right-click option to the menu to say: run with Intel, run with nVidia.

Master Po
05-15-2014, 02:37 PM
I can't make Movie Maker use NVIDIA GTX 880M, it is impossible, it is locked on integrated.

hmscott
05-16-2014, 01:42 AM
I can't make Movie Maker use NVIDIA GTX 880M, it is impossible, it is locked on integrated.

Master Po, yup, Movie Maker has problems when set to Nvidia as preferred, you need to keep it on Intel Preferred.

Jukkaz
05-16-2014, 02:17 AM
you can try my steps here. I think somehow its related :) :

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47176-G750JZ-GeForce-Experience-2.0.1.0-Shadowplay&p=401625&viewfull=1#post401625

hmscott
05-16-2014, 02:29 AM
you can try my steps here. I think somehow its related :) :

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47176-G750JZ-GeForce-Experience-2.0.1.0-Shadowplay&p=401625&viewfull=1#post401625

Jukkaz, that is a good tip, Master Po give that a shot.

What I have seen so far with Optimus before now is that it won't work on Nvidia, but if Jukkaz's tweak works, it would be good to know.

Here is a thread about non-compatible GPU support from the Microsoft support site for Movie Maker:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/moviemaker-program/error-code-c945000e-sorry-movie-maker-cant-start/e510deeb-ec20-475c-b821-ddb34e751d23

Top level support for Movie Maker, you might want to post the problem here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/moviemaker?tab=Threads#windowslive

Wodin
06-05-2014, 12:33 AM
GottiBoi55's tip worked for me to on G750JZ-T4046H
I am able to play diablo3 now without a problem.
Thanks dude ;)

I still hope that it will be fixed officialy to. I love this Notebook but thats where i first went like wtf...
Dunno where the problem starts... asus, intel or nvidia...

d3viant0ne
07-03-2014, 01:24 PM
All. I have not researched why but in my case, the settings in the control pannel are not saving.

I went to C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client and set nvcplui to "Run as Administrator" for "All users" and my games are now running with the nvidia gpu

d3viant0ne
07-03-2014, 01:50 PM
FYI - this is not the right way to fix this but it does work as a bandage. I'll dig into this later tonight and figure out where the file permission issues are.

xdon82
07-05-2014, 04:55 PM
I don't understand. Intel graphic is enough for typical work. If you want for a while potent GPU you can run the program using Nvidia GPU. It's only dedicated for games and professional applications. ..and one thing very important. When You use both GPUs, it probably prolong their lifetime

broadleaf
07-17-2014, 04:34 PM
I don't understand. Intel graphic is enough for typical work. If you want for a while potent GPU you can run the program using Nvidia GPU. It's only dedicated for games and professional applications. ..and one thing very important. When You use both GPUs, it probably prolong their lifetime

Sorry what? I never EVER seen anyone saying that his gpu died of OLD AGE even my old nvidia geforce 5200 128 mb is still alive and working, WHAT LIFETIME ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? CAN YOU ELABORATE TO EXPLAIN WHAT IS THAT MAGICAL PARAMETER NOBODY EVER HEARD ABOUT?

All gpu life ends when you buy you NEW one to REPLACE the old one.
Are you even trying?

newbies
07-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Hello

Please, anyone can tell me how to get extended Nvidia Control Panel in windows 8.1?

I don't have video setting in it. But i guess i can make though Intel video setting isn't it?

Of course i have an Asus ROG with Nvidia 870M.

Thanks

broadleaf
07-20-2014, 06:31 AM
yes they moved it into intel options.

Sean72
07-31-2014, 07:57 AM
I am disappointed in the whole Optimus thing, if I had realized that the G750 JZ had Optimus that was not able to be disabled, I would not have replaced my defective JH with a JZ. I don't want to go through the swap out yet again though, so I am trying to make it work. My JH was so smooth multi-tasking, (except for when BlueTooth was connected to a headset). Now on the JZ I get blinks and hiccups in switching programs, dragging windows around and going from my main display to my second HDMI connected LCD monitor. Ironically, the secondary screen runs smoother and better quality than the main display.

Is there any word from Asus or Nvidia on giving us better control of Optimus?

I use Cinema 4D and there is a flicker in the OpenGL viewport (and a strange, block-pattern or moire pattern) when I run it on the built-in display, but not when I move the window to my HDMI-connected secondary LCD screen. I've done everything I can to make sure the program uses the Nvidia card, but that hasn't changed the issue. Adjusting brightness didn't help, but I have now tried changing the resolution down from full HD to 1600x900 and the flicker and pattern has gone, I'll see how it performs.

Kelusion
07-31-2014, 08:35 PM
I am disappointed in the whole Optimus thing, if I had realized that the G750 JZ had Optimus that was not able to be disabled, I would not have replaced my defective JH with a JZ. I don't want to go through the swap out yet again though, so I am trying to make it work. My JH was so smooth multi-tasking, (except for when BlueTooth was connected to a headset). Now on the JZ I get blinks and hiccups in switching programs, dragging windows around and going from my main display to my second HDMI connected LCD monitor. Ironically, the secondary screen runs smoother and better quality than the main display.

Is there any word from Asus or Nvidia on giving us better control of Optimus?

I use Cinema 4D and there is a flicker in the OpenGL viewport (and a strange, block-pattern or moire pattern) when I run it on the built-in display, but not when I move the window to my HDMI-connected secondary LCD screen. I've done everything I can to make sure the program uses the Nvidia card, but that hasn't changed the issue. Adjusting brightness didn't help, but I have now tried changing the resolution down from full HD to 1600x900 and the flicker and pattern has gone, I'll see how it performs.

Not sure whats up with your G750JZ, I got mine and haven't face any problems like you have wrote above at all, not disappointed at all, moreover Optimus picks up the right games/app to run with Nvidia GTX 880M and switch back to intel when it doesn't need any power from the GPU. I was expecting it not to perform so perfect after reading some threads here, but nope it works absolutely flawlessly, haven't used Cienema 4d but other apps consuming GTX 880M haven't gave any problems as well.

dparish2
08-01-2014, 04:00 AM
Or just right click like this... 39665

dparish2
08-01-2014, 04:10 AM
This is I launch C4D too. Make sure that you have your gpu selected in the render view settings. But no matter how you render in the end it only uses the CPU. I'm sure you know that but if not, hope it helps.

moogleys
08-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Received my G750JZ today and have this exact issue. With no way to disable optimus manually the laptop is pretty much useless for me. Tried Diablo 3 and Grid autosport all run in a window unable to select full screen.

The laptop is just not fit for purpose and will be going back. Shame really as it's great otherwise.

It's a shame Asus or Nvidia are apparently doing nothing to fix the issue. The laptop is heavily touted as a "Gaming Notebook" just a shame you cannot play quite a few games on it due to this silly Optimus rubbish.

Kelusion
08-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Received my G750JZ today and have this exact issue. With no way to disable optimus manually the laptop is pretty much useless for me. Tried Diablo 3 and Grid autosport all run in a window unable to select full screen.

The laptop is just not fit for purpose and will be going back. Shame really as it's great otherwise.

It's a shame Asus or Nvidia are apparently doing nothing to fix the issue. The laptop is heavily touted as a "Gaming Notebook" just a shame you cannot play quite a few games on it due to this silly Optimus rubbish.

No issue with Optimus automatically switching to 880M GPU here when playing Games or Apps which need more GPU power here, I play all games fine with Max Settings. Did you try running the Apps/Games individually through the Nvidia control panel and see the result? I even keep the Nvidia GPU Activity in the task bar just to see if it actually switches in-between Apps/Games flawlessly without any problems at all. I have yet to put a single app individually on my Nvidia Control Panel to switch to High Performance GPU other then CPUID HW Monitor for checking temps/fan speeds etc which sometimes does not detect the GTX 880M card in it's list.

gh0zt
08-19-2014, 10:48 PM
So, Im trying to play Divinity: Original Sin, and the game is auto detecting low settings. I think its trying to use the Intel integrated chip. I changed the Nvidia settings Power Management to Prefer Max and Preferred Graphics to High Performance Nvidia. Even went to program settings and added the .exe (and made sure steam was also selected) for Nvidia. I also right click the exe and ran with nvidia (default). Either way, I am auto detecting Low settings...

Anyone have this game? I have been playing ESO on Ultra at 70fps, so I assume thats been the Nvidia.

Im on JZ750 with 880M

EDIT: Following Kelusion's advice I just ran the GPU Activity and it is showing Divinity...so maybe its just an issue with the game, I'll just go ahead and run it in ultra and see what happens.

Kelusion
08-20-2014, 10:04 AM
So, Im trying to play Divinity: Original Sin, and the game is auto detecting low settings. I think its trying to use the Intel integrated chip. I changed the Nvidia settings Power Management to Prefer Max and Preferred Graphics to High Performance Nvidia. Even went to program settings and added the .exe (and made sure steam was also selected) for Nvidia. I also right click the exe and ran with nvidia (default). Either way, I am auto detecting Low settings...

Anyone have this game? I have been playing ESO on Ultra at 70fps, so I assume thats been the Nvidia.

Im on JZ750 with 880M

EDIT: Following Kelusion's advice I just ran the GPU Activity and it is showing Divinity...so maybe its just an issue with the game, I'll just go ahead and run it in ultra and see what happens.

It is actually the game itself gh0zt :), I have the game and my brother has it in his MSI Dominator as well, we both have this issue of this particular game not detecting the right GPU. Theis is a known issue, and most likely the fix will be in the next update as many have stated. Its mainly on laptop although I have read on a different Desktop OEM where the 2 GPU cards were interfered and caused this problem as well.

Some links to help you relate the problem more,

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/0/45350791347225002/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/761871/geforce-drivers/divinity-original-sin-does-not-recognize-nvidia-gtx770m/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672174-divinity-original-sin/69589832

gh0zt
08-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the info. So the game doesn't detect the card, but I am still playing it with the Nvidia I am assuming? Since its showing up in my activity.

hmscott
08-21-2014, 12:05 AM
No issue with Optimus automatically switching to 880M GPU here when playing Games or Apps which need more GPU power here, I play all games fine with Max Settings. Did you try running the Apps/Games individually through the Nvidia control panel and see the result? I even keep the Nvidia GPU Activity in the task bar just to see if it actually switches in-between Apps/Games flawlessly without any problems at all. I have yet to put a single app individually on my Nvidia Control Panel to switch to High Performance GPU other then CPUID HW Monitor for checking temps/fan speeds etc which sometimes does not detect the GTX 880M card in it's list.

It is actually the game itself gh0zt :), I have the game and my brother has it in his MSI Dominator as well, we both have this issue of this particular game not detecting the right GPU. Theis is a known issue, and most likely the fix will be in the next update as many have stated. Its mainly on laptop although I have read on a different Desktop OEM where the 2 GPU cards were interfered and caused this problem as well.

Some links to help you relate the problem more,

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/0/45350791347225002/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/761871/geforce-drivers/divinity-original-sin-does-not-recognize-nvidia-gtx770m/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672174-divinity-original-sin/69589832

Kelusion, these are the kind of problems people are having with Optimus, on many many favorite games, and 99% of those games aren't going to get a new release to "fix the game". It isn't the game, it is the Optimus implementation.

Video editing programs, rendering programs, current programs are stuck using Intel GPU, current shipping production software - and they won't get fixed, because it is Optimus that is broken. The integration with Windows for Optimus is such that many programs won't be getting compatible except in a major re-write.

That is why Microsoft Windows and Windows tools are all locked to the Intel GPU.

If you find a niche of use that fits the Optimus function, it is fine, but for most people they have programs now and potentially will have many programs later that won't work on the Nvidia GPU.

If Intel wasn't so focused on forcing all programs running on their GPU as primary, and then allow switching to the Discrete GPU this wouldn't be a problem. The Primary GPU should be the Discrete high power GPU, with the Intel GPU available only on battery.

Why would we want to run the Intel GPU on anything while plugged into AC? There is no need for it.

Yet, that is Intel's focus - run on Intel GPU first, and that is why there are these problems.

If you want a new laptop, first check with google if there are any issues with your most used software on Optimus - before getting an Optimus laptop. Games are one of the hardest hit categories for Optimus incompatibility, so beware.

Kelusion
08-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Kelusion, these are the kind of problems people are having with Optimus, on many many favorite games, and 99% of those games aren't going to get a new release to "fix the game". It isn't the game, it is the Optimus implementation.

Video editing programs, rendering programs, current programs are stuck using Intel GPU, current shipping production software - and they won't get fixed, because it is Optimus that is broken. The integration with Windows for Optimus is such that many programs won't be getting compatible except in a major re-write.

That is why Microsoft Windows and Windows tools are all locked to the Intel GPU.

If you find a niche of use that fits the Optimus function, it is fine, but for most people they have programs now and potentially will have many programs later that won't work on the Nvidia GPU.

If Intel wasn't so focused on forcing all programs running on their GPU as primary, and then allow switching to the Discrete GPU this wouldn't be a problem. The Primary GPU should be the Discrete high power GPU, with the Intel GPU available only on battery.

Why would we want to run the Intel GPU on anything while plugged into AC? There is no need for it.

Yet, that is Intel's focus - run on Intel GPU first, and that is why there are these problems.

If you want a new laptop, first check with google if there are any issues with your most used software on Optimus - before getting an Optimus laptop. Games are one of the hardest hit categories for Optimus incompatibility, so beware.

Well in my case, I only have the problem with this game which I hardly play and that isn't that its running on Intel, its on Nvidia it does show on the Nvidia GPU Activity when you run it, the problem is, the frame rates are very less although 30 still, thats what me and gh0zt were actually talking about and the problem is with users having 2 GPUs that's what it seems ofcourse its not running on Intel, otherwise all my games + rendering apps work flawlessly on the Optimus, so I can't complain cause I haven't had that problem like you mentioned. Ofcourse I don't want to buy a new laptop cause this is just perfect, and yes getting rid of Optimus would be the best thing there is, I hate it as much as everyone else does, nonetheless as long as I can use this as per how i want it without Optimus interfering I don't see any problem in using it nor any reason complaining for something which I haven't seen yet :)

hmscott
08-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Well in my case, I only have the problem with this game which I hardly play and that isn't that its running on Intel, its on Nvidia it does show on the Nvidia GPU Activity when you run it, the problem is, the frame rates are very less although 30 still, thats what me and gh0zt were actually talking about and the problem is with users having 2 GPUs that's what it seems ofcourse its not running on Intel, otherwise all my games + rendering apps work flawlessly on the Optimus, so I can't complain cause I haven't had that problem like you mentioned. Ofcourse I don't want to buy a new laptop cause this is just perfect, and yes getting rid of Optimus would be the best thing there is, I hate it as much as everyone else does, nonetheless as long as I can use this as per how i want it without Optimus interfering I don't see any problem in using it nor any reason complaining for something which I haven't seen yet :)

Kelusion, all I was pointing out is that even if it is working for you on everything as you like now, it doesn't include everything out there that doesn't work well - if only one game doesn't work for you now, it may be that you will want to purchase a game on Steam and find that it only runs on Intel and then you will feel like you want to return the game - at least I know I would.

And, I have to say that if I had a JZ instead of a JH I would be happy to own the JZ too :)

Let's hope Asus does the G750 without Optimus, or at least a switch / BIOS setting that completely disables Optimus next time around :)

Kelusion
08-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Kelusion, all I was pointing out is that even if it is working for you on everything as you like now, it doesn't include everything out there that doesn't work well - if only one game doesn't work for you now, it may be that you will want to purchase a game on Steam and find that it only runs on Intel and then you will feel like you want to return the game - at least I know I would.

And, I have to say that if I had a JZ instead of a JH I would be happy to own the JZ too :)

Let's hope Asus does the G750 without Optimus, or at least a switch / BIOS setting that completely disables Optimus next time around :)

Completely agree Hmscott, I really hope and have a believe that there should be a switch and a setting in the future which completely disables the Optimus so people can utilize the full extension of this beast even more without any secondary doubts :)

But yes I am a little jealous that you don't have Optimus ;) on JH and I do on JZ

Motodew
08-28-2014, 12:57 PM
I am having the exact issues with my 860M. I never use the battery so could care less about the optimus stuff. I will try GottiBoi55's suggestion when I get home. Does anyone know if the INtel card can actually be disabled through the BIOS? I would rather it simply be ignored completely. Thanks.

hmscott
08-28-2014, 01:21 PM
I am having the exact issues with my 860M. I never use the battery so could care less about the optimus stuff. I will try GottiBoi55's suggestion when I get home. Does anyone know if the INtel card can actually be disabled through the BIOS? I would rather it simply be ignored completely. Thanks.

Motodew, setting Nvidia Preferred Globally, and setting each program individually only works for some applications. The others ignore the setting, and you need a tool like Nvidia Settings Inspector to get them to run on Nvidia GPU, and/or run well.

Guide:NVIDIA Inspector
http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector

"NVIDIA Inspector's real power lies within its driver profile settings (game profiles). Inspector includes over two hundred individual game profiles. Profiles allow user-defined, game-specific Inspector presets that will be loaded and used when the game is launched. These settings are also more extensive than the settings included in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

NVIDIA Inspector is a tool created by Orbmu2k. It provides detailed hardware information much like GPU-Z from all the available hardware senors pertaining to the video card. This sensor information can also be monitored via the included monitors, which in turn can be logged to a CSV file for later viewing. Inspector also provides simple overclocking tools to control the GPU clock, memory clock, shader clock, voltage, and fan speed of the video card; however, not all of these options will be available to all users.

Finally, this Guide does not provide the gold-standard of Inspector settings that the user simply copies. That would be impossible to do with the endless combinations of video cards and system hardware. This Guide does provide a breakdown of each of the Inspector dialog menus so users may be better informed about the capabilities of these settings and the applicability to a particular game environment. "

Read the Driver and Game Profile sections, and Skyrim example. There are lots of game specific examples on how to use Nvidia Inspector to tweak profile settings for many games - on Youtube, and other sites.

Even so there are things that can't be tuned/tweaked to use Nvidia over Intel. Windows for one, IE, and many other applications will never support Optimus.

Nvidia Inspector Home page + Gadgets
http://orbmu2k.de/tools/nvidia-inspector-tool

Download latest Version - Far down Home Page
http://download.orbmu2k.de/download.php?id=51

APACHEJP
08-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Hi guys,

Does optimus restricts you to using the Intel GPU when you use the projector or an external display? Say I want to use a projector to play a game, does that mean that the game will not have the option to use the Nvidia GPU once it's connected to a projector?

hmscott
08-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Hi guys,

Does optimus restricts you to using the Intel GPU when you use the projector or an external display? Say I want to use a projector to play a game, does that mean that the game will not have the option to use the Nvidia GPU once it's connected to a projector?

APACHEJP, all video outputs go through the Intel iGPU in the JM/JS/JZ, none of the video outputs directly connects to the Nvidia outputs - but as far as rendering / using the 3D on the Nvidia GPU, as long as your game supports Optimus - it can switch to the Nvidia GPU.

KoolASUS
08-30-2014, 08:13 AM
I just wanted to ask this :
Apparently Alienware users don't have the "Optimus" problem. On their forums, you can read that they can disable Optimus with FN+F7 and/or BIOS.
Do anyone here know for sure ? So it's up to the laptop builder to make this possible.

I really wonder why it's so complicated on the new G750 serie. (on my desktop computer, I installed a SoundBlaster X-Fi because the on-board RealTek sound is that bad : I didn't disable the on-board sound chip in BIOS, I only disabled it in Windows, as I did for the Nvidia HDMI sound (and only to have less drivers loaded). NEVER a problem. The system chooses always the SoundBlaster for the sound output)

The only thing that would help might be a new BIOS ?

DaniXks
12-19-2014, 10:50 PM
Hello eveybody,

I know this thread is quite old and it's pretty much closed...but I have some information that people in the future might find interesting.

I have this ASUS G750-JZ, and for some reason the brightness controls stopped working. With FN+f5/f6, the slider appears but it doesn't move much and the brightness doesn't change. You can't change it from the windows settings either.

While trying almost everything, I decided to completely UNISTALL the "Intel HD Graphics 4600" driver ( not disable ), and that, while it hadn't fixed my problem, I noticed that it was forcing the GTX 880 to be used.

Yeah so this might help you If you want to force it...the only thing is, you won't be able to change the brightness...and that windows tries to re-install the driver everytime you restart!

By the way...the temporary fix I've found for the brightness is: When you go and re-install HD 4600 the drivers, If you change the brightness when the screen goes black for a moment ( FN+f5/f6 ), then the brightness will change. But only then. So you have to unistall and re-install If you want to change it again lol xD

3DTRUCKER
12-28-2014, 07:49 AM
I recently purchased a asus g751 jm 860m. Grabbed a 3d monitor and still had a 3d vision 2 kit sealed at home. Got it all setup only to realise optimus has made my computer useless for 3d gaming. The 860m itself supports 3d vision but there are no longer any 3d options or resolution settings in my nvidia control panel. Ive played many hours of 3d gaming on my alienware 14 with a 765m and my old asus g53sx. Unless there is someway to disable optimus and run the nvidia card directly 3d will nevefr be an option. Ive heard of some people downgrading to windows 7 to get around optimus which is ridiculous. Its supposed to be about moving forward. I know a lot of people have fallen off the 3d wagon and thats fine but for people like me who enjoy playing a simulator in 3d once ans a while the technology should not only be there but polished when u spend 1800 on a "gaming laptop". I have contacted asus but am highly doubting there is anything they can do about it. If they cannot solve it soon ill be taking it back for an alienware or sager as the alienware has SWITCHABLE graphics and the new sager is a true discrete gpu setup. Needless to say I think I made a wrong choice switching to asus and shouldve stuck with alienware.

Wulff
12-28-2014, 01:15 PM
I recently purchased a asus g751 jm 860m. Grabbed a 3d monitor and still had a 3d vision 2 kit sealed at home. Got it all setup only to realise optimus has made my computer useless for 3d gaming. The 860m itself supports 3d vision but there are no longer any 3d options or resolution settings in my nvidia control panel. Ive played many hours of 3d gaming on my alienware 14 with a 765m and my old asus g53sx. Unless there is someway to disable optimus and run the nvidia card directly 3d will nevefr be an option. Ive heard of some people downgrading to windows 7 to get around optimus which is ridiculous. Its supposed to be about moving forward. I know a lot of people have fallen off the 3d wagon and thats fine but for people like me who enjoy playing a simulator in 3d once ans a while the technology should not only be there but polished when u spend 1800 on a "gaming laptop". I have contacted asus but am highly doubting there is anything they can do about it. If they cannot solve it soon ill be taking it back for an alienware or sager as the alienware has SWITCHABLE graphics and the new sager is a true discrete gpu setup. Needless to say I think I made a wrong choice switching to asus and shouldve stuck with alienware.

Well i have the g750jz and on my motherboard there are 2 connections one for 3d and 1 for 2d. the 3d connector is not there onkly the 2d wich has the screen connected and all. my guess is that its the same with yours. but not 100% sure here.

hmscott
12-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Well i have the g750jz and on my motherboard there are 2 connections one for 3d and 1 for 2d. the 3d connector is not there onkly the 2d wich has the screen connected and all. my guess is that its the same with yours. but not 100% sure here.

Wulff, that 3D display connector area, with the pads for installing, is a vestigial remanent of the G750JH/JX 3D models. The G750 motherboard is shared between all the G750 models.

The G751's are all newly laid out motherboards. I am not sure if the G751JM shares the motherboard layout with the G751JT/JY.

3DTRUCKER, you picked the 1 G751 with Optimus... the G751JT/JY don't have Optimus, and the Nvidia GPU connects directly to the displays, internal and external, so your 3D hardware has a better chance of working with the G751JT/JY, but I haven't seen a report yet of someone trying.

You can't get around Optimus, the Intel iGPU is physically connected as the only video controller, so downgrading to Windows 7 or running Linux won't help.

Please let us know if you swap for a non-Optimus G751 and how it works with an external 3D monitor :)

3DTRUCKER
12-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'll be looking into the the JT/JY before giving up on asus. Ill let you guys know.

hmscott
12-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'll be looking into the the JT/JY before giving up on asus. Ill let you guys know.

3DTRUCKER, I haven't seen a new/used 3D JX/JH listed for a looong time... initially those models crashed with new Nvidia drivers and were stuck on Asus distributed Nvidia driver(s) for a long time. There was a fix introduced at some point in an Nvidia driver, likely new drivers continue to work.

Please come back and let us know if you find one and how you like it :)

Tyberion
01-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Anything new on the horizon? And before someone jumps on me..., yes i read all the posts in this thraed.

Br

hmscott
01-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Anything new on the horizon? And before someone jumps on me..., yes i read all the posts in this thraed.Br

Tyberion, new would be the G750JY - we don't know if it will allow Optimus to be disabled or if it will be like the G750JM/JS/JZ with Optimus that can't be disabled.

Tyberion
01-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Tyberion, new would be the G750JY - we don't know if it will allow Optimus to be disabled or if it will be like the G750JM/JS/JZ with Optimus that can't be disabled.

Wish i knew that before i bought my G750JZ..., well it's my problem not doing any research before buying it, problem is i needed a new computer badly and this one had a nice price for a short period of time so i took it :D

Anyways i took yours and gotti bois advice, checked which of my games are using Nvidia and which Intel. By default all of my games used Nvidia cept Swtor so i changed that by hand. One helpfull thing i noticed in Nvidia settings, you can check so you see Nvidia usage icon which shows what app is using Nvidia, this made easier for me to keep an eye on it.

I hope i won't have any problems with it ;)

ty for the help.

br

shakeshead
01-08-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm one of the frustrated "suckers" who made the mistake of buying the JZ.

NEVER again Asus!

Unfortunately instead of researching, I just trusted Asus' advertisement and got suckered into buying a laptop that FORCES users into using Intel's completely unnecessary CPU/graphics. Would have been a good idea BACK IN 1998! Windows sure could have used something like that, but today, with Windows, multitasking - the list goes on. Its absolute contempt towards the "gamer" niche to even suggest forcing them to use CPU powered graphics and I cant believe Asus did this on their flagship product.

I'm stuck with this lemon for the time being, but I won't be making the same mistake twice, that I am certain of. Shame on you Asus for going down this insulting road. Had you of been transparent and advertised boldly that your flagship "gaming" laptop FORCES users, with no options to disable integrated CPU graphics, I guess your sales figures would have suffered greatly.

But then again, Asus seems to be building quite a reputation for themselves online when it comes to transparency and quality control ...

RAM-disk
01-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Optimus, finally a way to build a Rube Goldberg computer.

Tyberion
01-09-2015, 08:34 AM
I'm one of the frustrated "suckers" who made the mistake of buying the JZ.

NEVER again Asus!

Unfortunately instead of researching, I just trusted Asus' advertisement and got suckered into buying a laptop that FORCES users into using Intel's completely unnecessary CPU/graphics. Would have been a good idea BACK IN 1998! Windows sure could have used something like that, but today, with Windows, multitasking - the list goes on. Its absolute contempt towards the "gamer" niche to even suggest forcing them to use CPU powered graphics and I cant believe Asus did this on their flagship product.

I'm stuck with this lemon for the time being, but I won't be making the same mistake twice, that I am certain of. Shame on you Asus for going down this insulting road. Had you of been transparent and advertised boldly that your flagship "gaming" laptop FORCES users, with no options to disable integrated CPU graphics, I guess your sales figures would have suffered greatly.

But then again, Asus seems to be building quite a reputation for themselves online when it comes to transparency and quality control ...

I don't like that as much as any other gamer here but have you tryed solutions which were suggested in posts here ? If yes and if it still failed would you mind tellin' me which game/app can't be edited/forced through Nvidia panel control to use Nvidia CPU insted of Optimus?

Br

Wulff
01-11-2015, 02:11 PM
games run fine here its just that this optimus crap probably prevents us from for example enjoy that nice ROG monitor on our g750jz on full resolution and 144hz with g-sync. i know nvidia removed the support for g-sync however when i look at it with nv inspector it seems g-sync is enabled>? but i guess that still doesnt solve the resolution wich probably will never go higher then 1080 due to this intel gfx . sucks. i might go back to clevo after this one as well an buy the sli version with just 1 gfx card wich solves this optimus **** then. dont get me wrong i like asus but this is just not designed right

RAM-disk
01-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Still looking for a replacement for my N61V, this G750 just does not cut it, way to flakie. Probably going SLI as well,
just to stay away from this Optimus crap.

Edweird
01-11-2015, 11:53 PM
Still looking for a replacement for my N61V, this G750 just does not cut it, way to flakie. Probably going SLI as well,
just to stay away from this Optimus crap.

I may have missed something but uh ... What's preventing you from getting a G751? I still have my N61Ja and it has served me well for 4.5 years and I feel it's a good upgrade.

RAM-disk
01-12-2015, 01:18 AM
G751 build in non removable battery, optimus and audio issues...3 strikes .

GottiBoi55
01-12-2015, 04:56 AM
Asus Should start a poll on this issue with "Optimus".

Many would like a BIOS mod update with the option to disable Optimus (Alienware for one has this option), and use the nvidia 880m card full time
There's been almost 25,000 views on this thread (at time of this post), so many people are interested.

PS: Asus please take note!

hmscott
01-12-2015, 05:10 AM
G751 build in non removable battery, optimus and audio issues...3 strikes .

RAM-disk, G751JY/JT don't have Optimus, those are the 970m/980m models.

The G751JM has a 860m + touch screen + Optimus.

Tyberion
01-12-2015, 10:02 AM
RAM-disk, G751JY/JT don't have Optimus, those are the 970m/980m models.

The G751JM has a 860m + touch screen + Optimus.

Which i take is still not ok? :)

Man am i happy i didn't use "Optimus" for my forum name here... which i usually do....I'd be sooo hated right now!

mirko_kv
02-25-2015, 01:33 AM
Here is a feedback request from nVidia. Hopefully they will use it to improve optimus behavior in some of the upcoming drivers...https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/495281/geforce-mobile-gpus/nvidia-optimus-feedback-form-nvidia-optimus-owners-we-want-your-feedback/12/

hmscott
02-25-2015, 03:00 AM
Which i take is still not ok? :)

Man am i happy i didn't use "Optimus" for my forum name here... which i usually do....I'd be sooo hated right now!

Tyberion, was Prime / OptimusPrime taken? :)

Monte
03-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Bought recently a G750jy, is there a chance and maybe technically possible to have in the future an option in bios to disable optimus?

Games run smoothly but, dragging windows over desktop, scrolling webpages in the browser feels awkward and something is different aswell when running some videos compared to my desktop computer, all of these feel like i'm on a ****ty computer not on a 2000 euros laptop.... just saying this is not what i hoped from such a laptop.

Heard something about a C state that was supposed to be in bios to disable optimus, or w/e, but i've updated bios and nothing.

Any of you with the same laptop around?

hmscott
03-04-2015, 11:35 PM
Bought recently a G750jy, is there a chance and maybe technically possible to have in the future an option in bios to disable optimus?
Games run smoothly but, dragging windows over desktop, scrolling webpages in the browser feels awkward and something is different aswell when running some videos compared to my desktop computer, all of these feel like i'm on a ****ty computer not on a 2000 euros laptop.... just saying this is not what i hoped from such a laptop.
Heard something about a C state that was supposed to be in bios to disable optimus, or w/e, but i've updated bios and nothing.

Monte, the ROG laptops with Optimus route all video through the Intel iGPU, so it can never be removed from the video chain. It is on and running even when the Nvidia GPU is doing the rendering. The iGPU coexistent on the CPU die also raises the temperature of the CPU under load by about 10c greater than the same CPU in the G750's without Optimus.

Windows, IE, and anything else that uses Windows grraphics ports for rendering will always use the Intel GPU for rendering, Windows knows nothing of the Nvidia GPU - it is outside of it's reach.

There is no disable, there is no migrating Windows apps to render onto the Nvidia GPU.

That is why it is best to get laptops without Optimus.

The G751JT and JY don't have Optimus, and are the best ROG laptops for high end GPU access / use, unless you get a G750JW/JX/JH - those also don't have Optimus.

GottiBoi55
03-05-2015, 01:10 AM

Hi Monte,
Yes, a BIOS option to disable the nVidia Optimus is a possibility.
Alienware uses nVidia Optimus, but the difference there is, Alienware has added the option to disable Optimus in the BIOS.
Now the question is, will Asus script a BIOS update that will do the same?
I don't think so, with so many expressing there dislike of nVidia Optimus, I don't see why Asus don't follow suite with Alienware!
I have made the suggestion to "Poll" this issue, but I guess it's fell on deaf ears!
With over 32,000 views on this thread (At the time of this post), and 78 comments (including this one), Asus should take notice.
I was hoping with the latest BIOS V.210 (for the JZ), that the option would be there, but no such luck.
So to sum things up, we owners will just have to live with the nVidia Optimus!

Cheers my friend.

hmscott
03-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Hi Monte,
Yes, a BIOS option to disable the nVidia Optimus is a possibility.
Alienware uses nVidia Optimus, but the difference there is, Alienware has added the option to disable Optimus in the BIOS.

GottiBoi55, the Alienware hardware also uses the Intel iGPU for routing Video, it's BIOS disable doesn't completely remove the Intel GPU from the processing chain, you still get the ill effect's of Optimus even with the BIOS switch - you just take the Intel GPU out of the rendering path.

The only way to get an Alienware without the Intel iGPU wired into the video chain, was to order the 120hz screen, then the video output of the Nvidia GPU went directly to the screen and external monitor connectors.

Alienware 17 with 120Hz 3D Display Has No Integrated Graphics or Optimus - GTX 780M i7-4800MQ Laptop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ3IRvCkllg

Don't think that because you get a BIOS/switch switchable Optimus laptop you are avoiding the plague of the onboard Intel iGPU, because you aren't - unless the laptop implements a real video switch, switching the Intel and Nvidia video output directly to the builtin laptop screen and/or the external video outputs. Anyone know of such a laptop?

Another way to do it would be to dedicate an external video output to the Nvidia card - and disable Optimus via BIOS - anyone know of a laptop that implements that method?

Best to get a laptop that disables the Intel GPU and only wires the video outputs of the Nvidia card directly. Like the G751JT/JY

meanestrage
03-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Hello Everyone, not sure if optimus is messing with my video rendering or not but when i finally export my video and it renders, my g750js goes into sleep mode even though i have disabled it when plugged in. It only happens when I'm rendering HD videos. Any way I can fix this?

ROG_Person
06-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Yep, same issue on a G551JM. I have tried all solutions and still can't disable optimus. The big problem for me is that because of optimus, I can't enable certain features like adaptive vsync. Also, does anyone know where I can leave feedback for Asus and Nvidia?

GottiBoi55
06-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Hello Everyone, not sure if optimus is messing with my video rendering or not but when i finally export my video and it renders, my g750js goes into sleep mode even though i have disabled it when plugged in. It only happens when I'm rendering HD videos. Any way I can fix this?

Yep, same issue on a G551JM. I have tried all solutions and still can't disable optimus. The big problem for me is that because of optimus, I can't enable certain features like adaptive vsync. Also, does anyone know where I can leave feedback for Asus and Nvidia?

Hi guys, check page one, my post >>>#5 (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46508-G750JZ-w-Nvidia-880M-want-to-disable-Optimus-and-run-only-880M-card-not-Intel&p=395323&viewfull=1#post395323)

The work around I posted there will "force" the nVidia Optimus to use your dedicated nVidia GTX-8XXM card.
(This will work for most Asus NBs with Optimus enabled cards)
Most programs will benefit from this work around
Excluded from this work around would be "Desktop Settings", you will need to use the "Intel Control panel" for those settings.
(No "Desktop setting" are available in the "nVidia Control Panel" for Asus NBs with Optimus enabled cards)

PS: Plus if you play any "Web Based" (Diablo III, ect.) online games, go to program setting, then change your "Preferred Browser" to use the "High Performance NVIDIA Processor" also.

PS2: Plus you can "Force" most any program independently in program settings (not all will) to use the nVidia GTX card.
(If the program is not listed, try the 'Add" option, and add the program)

Hope this helps you guys?
Good luck, and good gaming my friends.

ROG_Person
06-14-2015, 01:18 AM
Hi guys, check page one, my post >>>#5 (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46508-G750JZ-w-Nvidia-880M-want-to-disable-Optimus-and-run-only-880M-card-not-Intel&p=395323&viewfull=1#post395323)

The work around I posted there will "force" the nVidia Optimus to use your dedicated nVidia GTX-8XXM card.
Excluded from this work around would be "Desktop Settings", you will need to use the "Intel Control panel" for those settings.
(No "Desktop setting" are available in the "nVidia Control Panel" for Asus NBs with Optimus enabled cards)

PS: Plus if you play any "Web Based" (Diablo III, ect.) online games, go to program setting, then change your "Preferred Browser" to use the "High Performance NVIDIA Processor" also.

PS2: Plus you can "Force" most any program independently in program settings (not all will) to use the nVidia GTX card.

But wouldn't this still not allow me to use adaptive vsync since optimus would still be enabled?

GottiBoi55
06-14-2015, 09:20 PM
But wouldn't this still not allow me to use adaptive vsync since optimus would still be enabled?

No, adaptive v-sync should work fine, if the program supports it.
Just try it for yourself, an see how it works.

beatc
06-15-2015, 01:43 AM
If not mistaken, there is an option in Nvidia Inspector that enables adaptive vsync. Haven't tried it out yet. Probably works. Fyi, Optimus supported adaptive vsync back in the day till it was taken out as it caused bugs.

ROG_Person
06-20-2015, 11:18 PM

Thank you, but I followed the steps but I still can't enable adaptive v-sync in Nvidia Control Panel.

If not mistaken, there is an option in Nvidia Inspector that enables adaptive vsync. Haven't tried it out yet. Probably works. Fyi, Optimus supported adaptive vsync back in the day till it was taken out as it caused bugs.

Is adaptive v-sync on optimus still buggy? What kind of bugs are there?