PDA

View Full Version : G750jm - 860m gpu stable oc. Clock @ 1097 & memory @ 1389

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 07:12 AM

:cool: Here is how to make your OC stick instead of the GPU utility OCing it based on a thermal level. You are going to use the stock ASUS GPU Utilitys barebones not the fancy GUI, location under C:/Program Files /ASUS/ASUS GPUTWEAK .Open the file named clock and change the values 540/843 to 1234/ 900 - save. Now OPEN VGATOOL10.exe and open the CLOCK TAB. match these settings with picture below and press set then OK. CAREFUL WITH THE CLOCKS !! DO NOT TO SET IT ANY HIGHER!!! I FOUND THE SWEET SPOT FOR YOU!! DONT BLAME ME IF YOU FRY YOUR CARD. 36034 ...bro... do you even OC? 36040

****** UPDATE FOR THOSE STILL FOLLOWING,HERES THE NEW STABLE MAX FOR THE 860M WITH CUSTOM BIOS MOD.
39871 39872

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 08:25 AM
is 5,000 mhz memory clock too high? thats what it shows as default.. i didnt touch it lol... but it shows my memory clock is at 1248 mhz in sensors in gpu Z so im confused.. i have a 880m 4 gb vram36039

sasuke256
04-24-2014, 08:32 AM
how are the temps when you play bf4 ? cpu and gpu thanks :)

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 08:53 AM
I would say the ASUS Utility is off. Use MSI afterburner and GPU-Z to see how far you can OC your memory little by little. post a snapshot of your card through GPU-Z. I would have to re-install BF4 to get those temps for you. Currently on Titan Fall and NFS: Rivals. JUst playeD COD GHOST with maxed out everything with 4xTXAA Antialiasing and frames are smooth and GPU is under %100 load. My temps dont go any higher than 61 paired with OC, Undervolted to the CPU 4700HQ by -56mv

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 09:14 AM
ok attached cpu z pic.. how much u think i can overclock memory? btw whats max temp i want my card to get to? it goes up to 84 c in crysis... i bought a cooler pad.. waiting for it in mail36042

IN GPU TWEAK ( one that came with PC ) that memory ( MHz) is 2505 .... but cpu z is telling me that..

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 09:14 AM

This while playing TitanFall for about an hour or so, dont see temps past 65C max GPU load .. Guess it does pay off to Undervolt. Must of gotten a good paste job too!. IDK. \0/

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 09:24 AM
The max you can go up to is about 100C. At that point your playing with fire. Some fine specs there sir, I say you can boost up to 1200 on the core clock and maybe around 1500 on the memory. little at a time. use the VGATOOL10 from the ASUS GPU folder to find your max CORE clock and use MSI after burner and set the MEMORY clocks.. then take note of what GPU-Z shows once you set them both in VGATOOL10. Its all about testing!!! Have fun, post back what your stable OC good sir. thx

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 09:37 AM
why is it saying 1251 mhz memory in cpu z? and in msi burner it shows its at 2505 mhz and gpu tweak says its a t2505mhz... im confused

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 09:45 AM
CPU-Z shows the system memory (RAM). Which is prob DDR3 or DDR3L .Dont look there. What we are looking at is GPU-Z and MSI after burner add some mhz by 20 to bump it up little by little then press apply. Then look back at GPU-Z to see if it moved your MEMORY CLOCK up. 2505mhz is your stock GPU RAM speed.. I say bump it up to 200mhz but no more. Is should show 2700mhz.

hmscott
04-24-2014, 09:57 AM
If it helps, the 880m is the same part as the 780m, and 6000-6350mhz works on my 780m.

The 765m also about 6000mhz, but the 770m ran around 5250mhz.

You aren't going to hurt anything by setting the memory clock too high. At worst the Nvidia driver will crash, recover and you will need to reboot to recover full speed on the Nvidia driver. When I was trying to get the tune on the 765m, I jumped up 250mhz at a time and then backed off 50mhz at a time - it didn't take long to find the sweet spot :)

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 09:59 AM
why does it show lower mhz in CPU Z sensor now... now that i overclocked.. LOOL wtf
it shows im overclocking in first one.. then when u move over to sensor it shjows im at like 160 mhz and before overclockig i was at like 1,2500

gotta reboot... driver crashed lol

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 10:11 AM
i bumped up memory clock lol shows 1606.7 mhz in gpu memory clock.. can i go further? or no?

also 1120 mhz for gpu clock is max i can go

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Every card is different, whatever works for your system. Also test out your game after you OC to make sure you dont have any glitches and press the start key to go back to the desktop then take a snapshot of GPU-Z, if so lower the memory clock. In the sensor TAB tap on the graphs to show your GPU max state. Your doing good so far!!

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 10:37 AM
thanks! I got too 1023 mhz GPU CLOCK and gpu tweak wont let nob go any further... why??? i also dont get any better fps in furmark ):

sasuke256
04-24-2014, 12:36 PM
I would say the ASUS Utility is off. Use MSI afterburner and GPU-Z to see how far you can OC your memory little by little. post a snapshot of your card through GPU-Z. I would have to re-install BF4 to get those temps for you. Currently on Titan Fall and NFS: Rivals. JUst playeD COD GHOST with maxed out everything with 4xTXAA Antialiasing and frames are smooth and GPU is under %100 load. My temps dont go any higher than 61 paired with OC, Undervolted to the CPU 4700HQ by -56mv
Thanks ! the JM rocks ! the cpu and gpu are at 61 ? That's cool ! The ambiant temperature may have given a little help in order to achieve that low temps :D

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 01:04 PM
why did my GPU CLOCK drop to 770 mhz? It happened a few times then went back up.. and nope.. my drivers didnt crash lol.. is this normal

so i stopped overclocking and it fixed it.... how do i overclock if its gonna make speed drop?

EDIT: Nevermind it dropped again without overclocking

sasuke256
04-24-2014, 02:19 PM
you havent any 3d games on i think, so it goes to semi-sleep mode :D

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Yep Sasuke256 is right. Its scales down the clock to save battery, once you found the max take note of it. I do a stress test every time to make sure the card can handle it. IN GPU_Z NEXT TO BUS WIDTH THERE IS A QUESTION MARK CLICK IT AND RUN A RENDER TEST. THIS WILL KEEP THE CARD @ 100 LOAD. Exit out of MSI Afterburner and ASUS GPU OC . GO into the VGATOOL.EXE in the directory in the main post.. now put your settings in there. thats where you will see the true power of your card. NO doubt that the JM 860M is a little beast, I was looking in the code of the ASUS GPU UTILITY and found that its max stable CLOCK was 1300mhz+ vs 540mhz stock and MEMORY CLOCK was 2505ghz which translates to 5010Mhz =DDR5 GPU MEMORY. The max Max MEMORY is 2777 which translates to 5554Mhz or 5.5Ghz. Looks like the 860M wins over the GTX 750 ti. The Maxwell GM107 chips have low voltage of 45W. I undervolted that too! So that explains the very low heat. BTW im in Las Vegas, so its a bit warmer . lol

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 05:49 PM
how do i undervolt? My gpu i want it to run cooler..

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Set voltage in ASUS VGA TOOL lower it a little at a time and then test it out in game. In the snapshot below you can see the min voltage is 800 and the max voltage is 1137. I set mines to 900 and its stable under 100% load. before it would jump strait to 1137. so thats a savings of 237 VDDC. thats enough for it to kick out less heat even while maxed out OC, now this is only on Maxwell 28nm which is already low voltage / low heat due to it having a low die size area which is 148mm2. Yours shows 294mm2 so expect even after an undervolt you may or may not see a drastic change. The larger die size is from having all of those beastmode specs in the 880M.

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Will it break my laptop if I do voltage wrong ? And why lower it. Thanks

hmscott
04-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Set voltage in ASUS VGA TOOL lower it a little at a time and then test it out in game. In the snapshot below you can see the min voltage is 800 and the max voltage is 1137. I set mines to 900 and its stable under 100% load. before it would jump strait to 1137. so thats a savings of 237 VDDC. thats enough for it to kick out less heat even while maxed out OC, now this is only on Maxwell 28nm which is already low voltage / low heat due to it having a low die size area which is 148mm2. Yours shows 294mm2 so expect even after an undervolt you may or may not see a drastic change. The larger die size is from having all of those beastmode specs in the 880M.

GOONZ, that's cool if we can now change the voltage on the GPU. On the JW/JX/JZ there is a slider to change it on Asus Tweak Tool for Graphics cards, but it has no actual effect, confirmed with external monitoring.

You might want to run an external program to view the GPU voltage to make sure the setting is really affecting the voltage on the JM/JS/JZ video cards.

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 08:19 PM
You have to use the ASUS VGA TOOL . I set my Voltage to 1000mv and before it was 1300mv. I tried to go lower but for some reason my temps dropped when changed it from 900mv. No , it should not hurt the hardware it will just shut down to prevent damage it set to low.

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 08:28 PM
well.. isn';t my voltage set lower. then urs already.. i dont understand why u would lower voltage lol wouldn't u want it higher. here pic

hmscott
04-24-2014, 08:31 PM
You have to use the ASUS VGA TOOL . I set my Voltage to 1000mv and before it was 1300mv. I tried to go lower but for some reason my temps dropped when changed it from 900mv. No , it should not hurt the hardware it will just shut down to prevent damage it set to low.]

The GPU mhz limiter in the Vbios is set to allow a maximum mhz setting for the GPU at the voltage set in the vbios. You shouldn't need to increase the voltage to have a stable GPU mhz OC. So, the only useful setting is to go lower in voltage to reduce heat generation in the GPU - that was what I wanted to do in the JW/JX/JZ, but the Asus GPU Tweak tool voltage setting didn't work.

Undervolting the GPU, like undervolting the CPU reduces heat generation, so that is something to work toward. It reduces the fan speed / noise, and can even keep the fan from running in the CPU undervolt.

Give it a try, and let us know if it is possible, and how much the GPU temp drops. I would try it at stock GPU speed first; drop the voltage until unstable and then bump it up until it is stable, and take temperature readings on a stress run - compare stock voltage to reduced voltage. And, then do the same for max GPU mhz.

Have fun :)

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 08:41 PM
when i go into vga file in gpu tweak folder.. i moved voltage to 900 v hit set button then clicked ok.. and it doesn't save it when i reopen app. It just shows the voltage it's at... HELP!

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Every card is different, rated at different voltages. My card is a Maxwell G107 and yours is a Kepler G104. Look at your GPU load it says 0%. Mines is currently in use @100- in game @1000mv . However if you run a game your voltage will go up Im guessing 1300mv or more. The less power a module uses the less heat it generates when you MAX out your card and will wear less on the chip. Will also be better on battery if you game without it being plugged in . Overvolting will fry your card FYI

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 08:47 PM
when i go into vga file in gpu tweak folder.. i moved voltage to 900 v hit set button then clicked ok.. and it doesn't save it when i reopen app. It just shows the voltage it's at... HELP!

also whats over volting? you mean if i raise it too high? so just make sure not too.. as long as i lower it i wont risk damaging anything>

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 08:51 PM
I moved the mv back to 1000mv from 900 because it was somewhat unstable and the VDriver would crash after 2-3 hours. SInce moving it back to 1000mv it has not crashed.. the stock votage on this card would go up to 1200-1300mv. Im still undervolted just not as much. CPU multiplier is set to 36/35/34/34 @ 100FSB = 3.6HZ - 3.4GHZ plus a -56mv on CPU core clock and Cache Clock. this is what is getting me great temps. before I was running warm around 75-80C now its 60C-65C.

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 08:55 PM
i get great temps for CPU idle.. i get 35-42 c.. its GPU

so how do i lower voltage?? VGA isn;t working its not saving what i enter

hmscott
04-24-2014, 09:00 PM
I moved the mv back to 1000mv from 900 because it was somewhat unstable and the VDriver would crash after 2-3 hours. SInce moving it back to 1000mv it has not crashed.. the stock votage on this card would go up to 1200-1300mv. Im still undervolted just not as much. CPU multiplier is set to 36/35/34/34 @ 100FSB = 3.6HZ - 3.4GHZ plus a -56mv on CPU core clock and Cache Clock. this is what is getting me great temps. before I was running warm around 75-80C now its 60C-65C.

GOONZ, I was wondering if enabling the Intel Graphics on the CPU in the new G750's would reveal new tuneables in XTU for the graphics section - like undervolting, or even better, disabling... can you look around in XTU tunable settings for everything that mentions the Intel graphics?

What is the default voltage for the GPU? Dropping small amounts, like .1 volt at a time, might be the way to go to tune for lowest voltage - but it might reduce the max OC for the GPU...

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 09:02 PM

also whats over volting? you mean if i raise it too high? so just make sure not too.. as long as i lower it i wont risk damaging anything>

Yes Overvolting is when you set the voltage too high. not good. make sure your using the option "USE Pstate 10" and set voltage , press default then set the new voltage then press OK. Keep GPU-Z open and look at the stats , then look at the AVG of the core not Max. I noticed that the card will spike to the Max voltage when you start up in game but then it follows the voltage rule you set. and trys to set it best as possible without using a BIOS MOD.

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 09:04 PM
I tried using GPU tweak advanced settings... the lowest it shows it goes in GPU Z is 950 Volts.. Even if i lower it to 900 volts in GPU tweak, and if i raise it back to default 981 volts in gpu tweak, then it goes back to 981..... how do i force it to let me to go below 950 volts?

THANKS and plz help me i really am in need of lowering gpu temperature

EDIT: I did what u said goonz.. when i set it too 900 it goes down to 900 in gpu z then lterally 2 seconds later back to default 981.. how do i fix this

its pstate 20 im using.... idk why but thats correct one for me it seems

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 09:13 PM
GOONZ, I was wondering if enabling the Intel Graphics on the CPU in the new G750's would reveal a new Profile tuneable in XTU for the graphics section - like undervolting, or even better, disabling... can you look around in XTU tunable settings for everything that mentions the Intel graphics?

What is the default voltage for the GPU? Dropping small amounts, like .1 volt at a time, might be the way to go to tune for lowest voltage - but it might reduce the max OC for the GPU...

I was able to underclock the Processor Graphics Voltage Offset by -50.7812500mv and disable the Processor Intergrated VR Efficiency Mode . Which allows you to make you Undervolt to the Intel Graphics more stable by not setting voltage rules. You Can set the Processor Graphics Ratio limit as well to 1200MHZ vs 400MHZ all while keepin it undervolted.:eek:

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 09:14 PM
I tried using GPU tweak advanced settings... the lowest it shows it goes in GPU Z is 950 Volts.. Even if i lower it to 900 volts in GPU tweak, and if i raise it back to default 981 volts in gpu tweak, then it goes back to 981..... how do i force it to let me to go below 950 volts?

THANKS and plz help me i really am in need of lowering gpu temperature

EDIT: I did what u said goonz.. when i set it too 900 it goes down to 900 in gpu z then lterally 2 seconds later back to default 981.. how do i fix this

opps sorry double post

its pstate 20 im using.... idk why but thats correct one for me it seems

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 10:27 PM
How do I under clock it won't let me go below 950 .. Someone help :(

hmscott
04-24-2014, 10:41 PM
I was able to underclock the Processor Graphics Voltage Offset by -50.7812500mv and disable the Processor Intergrated VR Efficiency Mode . Which allows you to make you Undervolt to the Intel Graphics more stable by not setting voltage rules. You Can set the Processor Graphics Ratio limit as well to 1200MHZ vs 400MHZ all while keepin it undervolted.:eek:

Awesome news GOONZ, so there are new settings in XTU for the Optimus G750s :)

Thanks for the updates. Maybe you can make a new thread on how to use XTU / Asus GPU tweak on the new G750's when you get it all worked out here. Most people won't spend a lot of time digging through 100's of posts to find what they need - a nice to the point how to post for the G750JM/JS/JZ would help, maybe even be a sticky.

Some before / after performance numbers for the Intel and GTX mode would be nice too. I am assuming the XTU setting for Intel bumps up performance measurably :)

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 10:44 PM
HOW DO I get it working? i try to underclock and it wont go below 950... and default is 980..

I really need to lower my temp ..plz help

hmscott
04-24-2014, 10:47 PM
HOW DO I get it working? i try to underclock and it wont go below 950... and default is 980..

I really need to lower my temp ..plz help

If it won't let you, you can't.

There are limits set in the vBios that limit the tuneable ranges, and it looks like you can't lower the voltage any further than it will allow.

Every GPU model has different parameters, your 880m won't have the same limits as GOONZ's 860m.

Why are you worried about the temps on your GPU, I thought they were ok?

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 10:49 PM
If it won't let you, you can't.

There are limits set in the vBios that limit the tuneable ranges, and it looks like you can't lower the voltage any further than it will allow.

Every GPU model has different parameters, your 880m won't have the same limits as GOONZ's 860m.

Why are you worried about the temps on your GPU, I thought they were ok?

idk.. some people have temps of 55 c at max load.. i dont understand??? Mine idles at 55 c and 50 c when not overclocking. when playing crysis it goes up to 87 c... overclocked.. is that safe? i bought a cooler and im using it now , and it seems to make no diffrence at all lmao. I like how it tilts computer though so im gonna keep it for that

Thanks!

hmscott
04-24-2014, 10:56 PM
idk.. some people have temps of 55 c at max load.. i dont understand??? Mine idles at 55 c and 50 c when not overclocking. when playing crysis it goes up to 87 c... overclocked.. is that safe? i bought a cooler and im using it now , and it seems to make no diffrence at all lmao. I like how it tilts computer though so im gonna keep it for that
Thanks!

Just because someone reports 55c as the temp they see at max load doesn't make it a reliable reading - give us the link so we can see the report.

They might be misreading, or their max load might be watching Netflix ;)

Your temps are fine, we already went through this, and I showed you my similar temps, actually a couple of degrees hotter on the JH, so you have nothing to worry about.

If you would follow through, and run the entire furmark 15m run and post the results, then you would be able to compare with others that do the run and post the results. You could ask the guy with the 55c max temp to run furmark 15m and post his results to compare.

Coolers do very little for the G750 and in normal ambient temperatures - completely uneeded. If you are putting the G750 on the bed/couch and it is sinking in - blocking the bottom vents, then the G750 will have trouble drawing in cool and and exhausting hot air. And, if you run in a 100F environment forcing refridgerated air up through the bottom would help. Otherwise the G750 can handle the cooling alone.

If you would feel better ask Asus to confirm the temps are ok: http://vip.asus.com

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=HomieOC;395878]idk.. some people have temps of 55 c at max load.. i dont understand??? Mine idles at 55 c and 50 c when not overclocking. when playing crysis it goes up to 87 c... overclocked.. is that safe? i bought a cooler and im using it now , and it seems to make no diffrence at all lmao. I like how it tilts computer though so im gonna keep it for that

Thanks![/QUOTE

I say as long as you dont go past 95C your good. Make sure if your OC you use the fan speed to the max. A laptop cooler pad will drop it about 3- 6 c. You have an awesome card and with great specs comes great heat..lol I will be looking into flashing a custom BIOS so we can really unleash the beast!

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Just because someone reports 55c as the temp they see at max load doesn't make it a reliable reading - give us the link so we can see the report.

They might be misreading, or their max load might be watching Netflix ;)

Your temps are fine, we already went through this, and I showed you my similar temps, actually a couple of degrees hotter on the JH, so you have nothing to worry about.

If you would follow through, and run the entire furmark 15m run and post the results, then you would be able to compare with others that do the run and post the results. You could ask the guy with the 55c max temp to run furmark 15m and post his results to compare.

Coolers do very little for the G750 and in normal ambient temperatures - completely uneeded. If you are putting the G750 on the bed/couch and it is sinking in - blocking the bottom vents, then the G750 will have trouble drawing in cool and and exhausting hot air. And, if you run in a 100F environment forcing refridgerated air up through the bottom would help. Otherwise the G750 can handle the cooling alone.

If you would feel better ask Asus to confirm the temps are ok: http://vip.asus.com

LOL..@ Netflix.. bro you mad? I got this rig to game man.. lol this guy. ;)

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 11:25 PM
When you say fan at max ... Do you mean just when I play games ? Isn't it bad to have fan at full speed lol. Sorry I'm new to this. I'm running 15 minute furmark and gpu shark right now. Ill post results after

sasuke256
04-24-2014, 11:34 PM
furmark and gpushark are full load GPU only, you should just play bioshock infinite or BF4 Multi or s.th like that and you will have real load temps..

GOONZ
04-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Run your fans to the max when your gaming or benchmarking. Think of it this way..... what would you rather replace? A GPU fan which pretty much plug n play to the motherboard which would run you $20 USD for 2 laptop fans from ebay or a GTX880M card which is about $400-600 USD to replace. IMO burn up them fans and protect your investment .

HomieOC
04-24-2014, 11:39 PM
OK! gotcha goonz.. thanks :) Heres my results... are those temps good for Stock fan speed???

hmscott
04-24-2014, 11:49 PM
OK! gotcha goonz.. thanks :) Heres my results... are those temps good for Stock fan speed???

HomieOC, yes, 81C is great, very cool :)

But, your score is kinda low, I got 3278 @ 82C and you show 1647, I think your Nvidia driver crashed somewhere along the way, and you should reboot and rerun the test. If it is still low like that, reset the Asus GPU Tweak settings to defaults, reboot and try again.

hmscott
04-24-2014, 11:54 PM
Run your fans to the max when your gaming or benchmarking. Think of it this way..... what would you rather replace? A GPU fan which pretty much plug n play to the motherboard which would run you $20 USD for 2 laptop fans from ebay or a GTX880M card which is about $400-600 USD to replace. IMO burn up them fans and protect your investment .

There is no forced MAX fan setting for the JW/JX/JH, it just ramps up and cools things off on it's own.

I haven't felt the need for such a Max fan setting, as the temps are way low and in spec all the time.

On a GT70 MSI, I felt the need to punch the Max fan button on the keyboard all the time, but turned it right off cause it was soooo loud :)

You should never need to manually set / use the max fan setting, if you do need it forced on to be stable while doing gaming, you might need to change how your G750 is bringing in cool air and exhausting hot air.

If you have the G750 against a wall, or even worse, in a corner with 2 walls reflecting back the hot exhaust - causing the hot air to be drawn back in for cooling, you can move the G750 to the edge of the desk and point the hot air exhaust outward toward an open space.

Otherwise, if you have clear intake/exhaust areas, and the ambient temp is human habitable, you should always be ok with the automatic fan settings.

But, it might be different on the new G750's, I hope not, and from HomieOC's 15m run on furmark at stock fan settings, I think there should be no reason to set MAX fan on.

HomieOC
04-25-2014, 12:19 AM
It's around 1.870 now since I rebooted .... I reset to default and I'm doing it again but I'm still getting same 22 Fps ... Why am I getting bad score :(

hmscott
04-25-2014, 12:27 AM
It's around 1.870 now since I rebooted .... I reset to default and I'm doing it again but I'm still getting same 22 Fps ... Why am I getting bad score :(

Did you set the Nvidia 3D global settings for performance from adapative, from multi-display to single display, and in the optimus case, prefer high performance GTX graphics? And, for your Optimus enabled machine, there may be additional options / settings - I don't have one so I can't show them to you.

Nvidia 3D Global Settings G750JH

Then make sure furmark settings in the Nvidia Program Settings use those global settings, and override the appropriate settings to use GTX card instead of Intel.

Nvidia 3D Program Settings G750JH

You can set the Asus Tweak Tool for laptops to OC too. My score is for OC from 797/5000 to 932/6250.

Here is a run at stock speeds on CPU/GPU, ambient temp 25c

Here is the last run I did at Max OC for CPU/GPU, ambient 22c

hmscott
04-25-2014, 02:07 AM
How about we try other benchmarks?

There may be some teething time needed to get the best performance out of the GTX880m, it is after all a new GPU. It is likely an Nvidia update and even a Furmark update might be needed to optimize the 880m performance.

Nvidia Beta Release 337.50, which is the newest supporting the 800m series, and it isn't compatible with the 700m series - at least it isn't offered as a choice on Nvidia's driver download page for my 780m - or via Geforce Experience. I am running 335.23

You might consider letting Nvidia, Asus, and Furmark (maybe them first) know via a forum posting there or an email / feedback submission what you are seeing for performance on the 880m. Feedback from users early on helps.

Here is a run on Cinebench r15 Max OC on CPU/GPU

http://www.maxon.net/products/cinebench/overview.html

Here is a run on Uniengine Heaven 4.0 Preset - Extreme Max OC CPU/GPU

http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

kb0sdq
04-25-2014, 02:56 AM
Howdy HmScott,
Wanted to pass along I am using 337.50 beta on my 780m I clicked the beta download box and there it was had a couple issues getting it to download so I went to the NVidia site and downloaded it there.
Happy ROG_n
Doug

hmscott
04-25-2014, 03:27 AM
Howdy HmScott,
Wanted to pass along I am using 337.50 beta on my 780m I clicked the beta download box and there it was had a couple issues getting it to download so I went to the NVidia site and downloaded it there.
Happy ROG_n
Doug

Thanks Doug :)

I don't know why it isn't a download option for me on Geforce Experience, I have the beta box checked...I just assumed it wasn't a beta meant for 700m series install.

I will run the benchmarks I am running now, and then do a clean install of 337.50 and see what happens.

HomieOC
04-25-2014, 05:03 AM
scott idk whats wrong.. it shows im above average in 3dmark compared to other people with same laptop.. also i just did a test with 3d mark and overclocking makes a diffrence.. heres before and after overclocking

Before: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2943666?

After: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2943687?

hmscott
04-25-2014, 05:54 AM
scott idk whats wrong.. it shows im above average in 3dmark compared to other people with same laptop.. also i just did a test with 3d mark and overclocking makes a diffrence.. heres before and after overclocking

Before: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2943666?

After: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2943687?

HomieOC, great OC score! Better than the best I have seen on the G750JH for Fire Strike 1.1 :)

After upgrading to 337.50 just now, I got the best scores I have gotten on the G750JH on 3DMark, here they are:

Fire Strike 1.1 - 5884
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2059343

Cloud Gate 1.1 - 19698
http://www.3dmark.com/cg/1684249

Ice Storm 1.2 - 131654
http://www.3dmark.com/is/1873693

The furmark score didn't go up for me with 337.50, but my temp went down 1c to 81c :)

I wouldn't worry about the furmark score, if you want report it to Nvidia / Furmark / Asus and ask them to look into it.

New GTX cards and drivers bounce around in performance numbers initially while they work out the software performance. You will likely see furmark scores go up down the road.

How about CInebench or Unigen Heaven?

HomieOC
04-25-2014, 05:56 AM

Looks like the 880m is just a tad quicker.. nothing noticeable i guess?

hmscott
04-25-2014, 06:01 AM

Looks like the 880m is just a tad quicker.. nothing noticeable i guess?

HomieOC, except for Optimus, the JZ and JH would be about the same...insignificant performance differences aside, they are both great machines.

I should re-run Heaven and Cinebench on 337.50 :)

Update: Heaven score is exactly the same, and Cinebench too... only 3DMark went up.

HomieOC
04-25-2014, 06:05 AM
HomieOC, except for Optimus, the JZ and JH would be about the same...insignificant performance differences aside, they are both great machines.

I should re-run Heaven and Cinebench on 337.50 :)

i know.. it takes literally 10 seconds from when i hit power button to be on my desktop. My old i7 took about 45 seconds lol

GOONZ
04-25-2014, 09:47 AM
36080 This score is with the 860M's max OC UV all while under 60C.

HomieOC
04-25-2014, 10:10 AM
I just got mine to reach 1087 but driver crashed.... if driver crashes but recovers.. and my CLOCK speeds are staying where they should... do i need to still reboot? ALSO, how do i overclock it so it wont crash???

GOONZ
04-25-2014, 10:18 AM
I just got mine to reach 1087 but driver crashed.... if driver crashes but recovers.. and my CLOCK speeds are staying where they should... do i need to still reboot? ALSO, how do i overclock it so it wont crash???

You should lower the clocks down a bit if your crashing , your card may not be able to handle very high clocks.

hmscott
04-25-2014, 04:23 PM
... This score is with the 860M's max OC UV all while under 60C.

Awesome score GOONZ, looks legit, but hard to believe :)

Is there a breakdown for the runs/measurements? I am thinking one section or maybe more really favor the new 860m and pull the score up. That is a big range, from min of 9.2 to a max or 230.7 !!

How about 3Dmark Fire Strike, Cloud Gate, and Ice Storm? How are those scores? And, Cinebench and Furmark scores would be of interest too.

sasuke256
04-25-2014, 06:32 PM
GOONZ we need a 3dm11 performance test :D

GOONZ
04-25-2014, 10:29 PM
wow
such doubt
very benchmark
much test
so OC
wow .... lol I was shocked too, it was rendering in the dark when it hit in the 200's . and the 9fps was well.... when it first started. I would lke to use 3D Mark 11 but sorry bud not paying to test my gear. The demo only let me test my Intel GPU . :/ . SO I picked up Cinebench and in this test Im running around 90fps which was the same as the Heaven test in some scenes. 36099

sasuke256
04-25-2014, 11:37 PM
It may detect the Intel HD, you just have to make it work with Nvidia Graphics (in Nvidia control panel) and do a demo :D
even if it stills shows intel in detection but it will use Nvidia :D

GOONZ
04-26-2014, 01:07 AM
It may detect the Intel HD, you just have to make it work with Nvidia Graphics (in Nvidia control panel) and do a demo :D
even if it stills shows intel in detection but it will use Nvidia :D

LOl.. you dlont think I already tried that? Im new here to the ASUS community not new to computers. Anyways going to talk to my co workers who have the same laptop G750JM that we got from our company for testing code and see if we can make a custom BIOS for these new motherboards. I like the desktop motherboards with the nice GUI so I will look at that a see if we can mod it.. -Team ParadoX

hmscott
04-26-2014, 07:45 AM
wow
such doubt
very benchmark
much test
so OC
wow .... lol I was shocked too, it was rendering in the dark when it hit in the 200's . and the 9fps was well.... when it first started. I would lke to use 3D Mark 11 but sorry bud not paying to test my gear. The demo only let me test my Intel GPU . :/ . SO I picked up Cinebench and in this test Im running around 90fps which was the same as the Heaven test in some scenes.

GOONZ, it isn't typical for an upset in performance like that, the Cinebench is a good score too, only a bit off the 780m.

Are all the Futuremark products favoring the Intel part? The new 3dmark trio too?

Thanks GOONZ!

GOONZ
04-30-2014, 04:43 AM
Any updates on everyones max gpu overclocks and scores? Keep it updated on any new max values. Thanks guys!!

sasuke256
04-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Saw someone go for +135Mhz and +700 Memory : 4600 firestrike ;)

HomieOC
05-01-2014, 11:45 PM
finally got a good score... 880m 4 gb vram

it was hdmi connected to my tv... is that why i got a higher score?

hmscott
05-02-2014, 12:12 AM
finally got a good score... 880m 4 gb vram

it was hdmi connected to my tv... is that why i got a higher score?

It is higher because you ran it on a smaller desktop, look at the Mode: 1376x755 instead of 1600x900

HomieOC
05-02-2014, 12:20 AM
yeah, but its connected to my 32 inch tv lol.. so i thought it would be worse

hmscott
05-02-2014, 01:16 AM
yeah, but its connected to my 32 inch tv lol.. so i thought it would be worse

Why would you think it would be worse on your TV?

If it was the same 1080P as your built it in display the performance would be the same.

The performance is based on throughput, and the higher the resolution the more data is moved around and the harder the Graphics Card needs to work to move more data. That is why graphics cards perform better at lower resolution.

MrRuckus
05-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Please keep in mind you guys are comparing Kepler to Maxwell architectures (HomieOC to GOONZ). HomieOC with the 880M is going to be more on par with us on the 780M which is also Kepler. GOONZ is going to be completely different due to the Maxwell 860M and will run cooler due to it being Maxwell based. Most reviews show the 880M to be around 10% faster then the 780M as the clocks are raised some compared to the 780M, but both are still kepler based.

With Nvidia cards you have to keep your temps and voltage usage in check, otherwise the GPU will throttle (as HomieOC saw earlier in this thread).

I went as far as trying a modified vbios and found little to no benefit in doing so. This voltage/heat usage parameters that are built into the Kepler architecture are nearly impossible to overcome, at least it seems in the G750's. There are others with Dell XPS/Alienware systems benefiting from a vbios mod and reaching higher clocks with no throttling, but not so much with the G750's. I ended up just giving up after many different vbios roms failed to produce any tangible gains in performance.

Best I could achieve was done via Intel XTU and dropping voltage on the CPU which free's up some headroom in the GPU before throttling.

HomieOC
05-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Thanks ruckus, extremely informative 0_0 seriously haha
i guess thats why my GPU idles around 47 C and max 82-84 C in games like crysis.

I just turn my fan to max before playing games. Now.. do you guys have your GPU always overclocked, or only overclock it when your about to play a game?

Also, thanks scott too you have been extremely helpful in getting me to be able to overclock too. So thank you !

hmscott
05-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Thanks ruckus, extremely informative 0_0 seriously haha
i guess thats why my GPU idles around 47 C and max 82-84 C in games like crysis.

I just turn my fan to max before playing games. Now.. do you guys have your GPU always overclocked, or only overclock it when your about to play a game?

Also, thanks scott too you have been extremely helpful in getting me to be able to overclock too. So thank you !

You are welcome Homie, you have come up to speed quickly :)

I drop the memory clock on the GPU a bit from max OC at 6400mhz for benchmarking to 6250mhz for every day use because it doesn't make a perceptible difference.

I keep the XTU OC enabled, and only need to change to High Performance Power Plan for benchmarking, on Balanced Power Plan the CPU downclocks and keeps it cool all on it's own.

How many degrees C drop do you get by kicking the fan up to max over letting the automatic fan control take care of cooling? What is the noise level difference between max and normal cooling? Is it worth the extra noise - do you feel you need headphones to keep out the heightened noise level?

MrRuckus
05-02-2014, 11:15 PM
I really wish it wasn't the case. Its somewhat of a bummer that we cant push these GPU's are far as we want. I guess I just wish we had more control over the hardware, hehe. Its fool proof to where you cant damage anything, but frustrating that we cant push much over stock.

The vbios I was messing with removed the +135Mhz limitation on the core, but even with that, I was actually being throttled sooner then 135Mhz with that limitation removed.

I wonder at times if its power draw. Like would it be any better with a 280W brick instead of our 230W. All these advanced GPU's are too smart!

HomieOC
05-03-2014, 12:06 AM
it drops down from 82 c to id say 68-72 c when i put fan on max :D Which is a huge drop

hmscott
05-03-2014, 12:18 AM
it drops down from 82 c to id say 68-72 c when i put fan on max :D Which is a huge drop

HomieOC, that is a larger than expected drop, I figured it was at most 5c-10c max. How about the noise level? Can you adjust the speed at all?

I don't think the laptop would be damaged by running without the max fan enabled... I hate intrusive fan noise and really appreciate the G750JW/JX/JH quiet efficient delivery of adequate cooling.

The MSI was a horror that required the Fan Boost during heavy CPU/GPU load to keep it out of the 90c range, and it sounded like a leaf blower.

Although I like the option of the Max Fan on the new G750's, I would hope you would never need it except when doing hours long runs of CUDA jobs - and then I would stick the laptop in some remote location where I wouldn't need to be assaulted by the fan noise.

HomieOC
05-03-2014, 03:42 AM
I think it spins at 5500 rpm at max. And it's loud.. But not bad because my hp laptop from years ago sounds like my asus at max when it would do basic things. It goes around 82 c on stock fan speed but I want it 75 c or lower

Btw on my iPad. I'm reformatting my laptop right now I got a bunch of spyware.. And my internet connection wasn't working randomly. I hope it was the virus

hmscott
05-03-2014, 04:39 AM
I think it spins at 5500 rpm at max. And it's loud.. But not bad because my hp laptop from years ago sounds like my asus at max when it would do basic things. It goes around 82 c on stock fan speed but I want it 75 c or lower

Btw on my iPad. I'm reformatting my laptop right now I got a bunch of spyware.. And my internet connection wasn't working randomly. I hope it was the virus

Sorry to keep asking questions about it, but I want to understand how it operates at Fan MAX. :)

With the Max Fan enabled does it always run at a fixed high speed, or does it just bring up the fan curve such that at high load it runs at higher speeds to reduce the temperature more?

In other words, when you are between games, browsing, or just watching a video, does the Max Fan run the graphics cooler fan at a high constant rate even at what is essentially idle / low load?

That would be silly of course, because who needs the Graphics Fan Locked at a high speed when there is no heat to dissipate... like the MSI Fan Boost switch - you had to click it off when you were done with high load graphics work.

A temperature triggered boost would make more sense than having the human try to guess when the heat was up during gaming (while we can't see the temps).

Does the boost drop after the load drops? Or, do we need to go into the Asus Tweak Tool to manually uncheck the Max Fan option?

HomieOC
05-03-2014, 05:54 AM
You have to manually turn fan down. Whether your laptop is idle or max load, the fan goes same speed when you put it to max.. Also, i reformatted :)

hmscott
05-03-2014, 06:20 AM
You have to manually turn fan down. Whether your laptop is idle or max load, the fan goes same speed when you put it to max.. Also, i reformatted :)

HomieOC, there you go. Nice speed up. :)

That's too bad about the Max Fan interface, it's a bit inconvenient.

If it were my JZ, I would try to live without Max Fan. Although 80c range is higher than 70c range, the MSI runs at 90c range so perhaps living in the 80c range isn't bad?

I guess it might be needed because of the higher base clock, and higher GPU voltage(?), that the 880m has over the 780m, so the 880m would run hotter than the 780m across the range of operation.

IDK why Asus didn't bump up the fan curve to match the increase in heat generation, at least make an automatic version of the fan boost, instead of making it manual.

If you have an 880m JZ, and the heat / fan noise bugs you, complain to Asus to automate the process. I know I would :)

HomieOC
05-03-2014, 06:26 AM
HomieOC, there you go. Nice speed up. :)

That's too bad about the Max Fan interface, it's a bit inconvenient. If it were my JZ, I would try to live without Max Fan.

I guess it might be needed because of the higher base clock that the 880m has over the 780m, so the 880m would run hotter than the 780m across the range of operation.

IDK why Asus didn't bump up the fan curve to match the increase in heat generation, at least make an automatic version of the fan boost, instead of making it manual.

If you have an 880m JZ, and the heat / fan noise bugs you, complain to Asus to automate the process. I know I would :)

I just wish we had just totally complete control of both fans... that way it works like you said it should. Why didnt they?? Lazy??

hmscott
05-03-2014, 06:40 AM
I just wish we had just totally complete control of both fans... that way it works like you said it should. Why didnt they?? Lazy??

HomieOC, the Asus engineers are more likely overworked than lazy, just not enough time, that is why I suggest filing a feature request to Asus to spend some more time to smooth out the rough edges brought about by the hotter running 880m, and do away with the always on Max Fan kludge.

djadam
06-05-2014, 05:57 AM
hello all so im brand new and need help pleaseeeeee!!!

so i just got the g750 js that has the 870m gpu

basically on games or any usage the clock usually will go to the max clock then drop significantly low. like im saying watchdogs with optimal settings from nvidia starting off around 900mhz with a good almost 40fps then dropping to 400mhz sometimes lower. i just watch it drop on gpu-z

atm right now this is what the main menu has for watchdogs37371

help me please what is going on here. OC will work but then the clock still will drop. had driver crash before but restarted.

that watchdog pic was with no custom OC just the asus gpu tweak OC simple switch that like bumps it up like 20 mhz 37372

with furmark its even worse clock speeds at like 160mhz during benchmark!!!!! it drops instantly. i have tried to change numbers in that asus vga tool but sometimes wouldn't save and it wouldn't help in the end. but the numbers would change. the max the gpu can go to is 1102 mhz no matter what is typed in wont let me go higher. tbh i just want base clocks to work.

btw yes im in performance mode, yes nvidia control panel is set right. i hope.

few other stats:
windows 8.1
gpu driver 337.88
base clock 941 mhz

sasuke256
06-05-2014, 09:06 AM
PSU is failing I think !

djadam
06-06-2014, 06:24 PM
doing a bit of testing here it seems that if the gpu is being utilized alot like close to 100% it down-clocks wtf why would it do that my temps are great and i need those clocks

djadam
06-06-2014, 06:26 PM
played rust just a small bit and the clock stayed good gpu usage was around 50% ish

TherAsus
07-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Hi GOONZ,

I just got a new Asus G750JM-DS71. I have already maxed out OC slider in Nvidia Inspector for both core (+135) and mem (+273). I also undervolted the cpu voltage, cache voltage, and integrated graphics voltage, disable the integrate vr efficiency mode. I will attempt to install the Prema Vbios Mod next to unlock gpu voltage and the nvidia inspector slider limit of +135 for core clocks. However, it seems like the method you proposed negates the need for the prema vbios mod because you're able to adjust the Nvidia GTX 860m core clock to 1234 (which is +694 from the default 540Mhz). Notably, in this thread you posted you wanted to try to make a Vbios; why would you need that when you got an OC of 1234 on the core clock of a GTX 860m!!

Nonetheless, the purpose of this post is to ask for guidance. I just wanted to consult you whether your efforts to make a Vbios or flash to a Vbios worthwile. If it's not necessary or not worthwhile by following your instructions to OC the GTX 860m, then I'll skip it altogether. Moreover, may I ask you a favor? Could you possibly upload your Intel XTU profile for undervolting core, cache, and integrated graphics to see if my settings match your's?? What I ultimately want is also a cool running G750JM while gaming so the fan doesn't kick in so much when I am gaming.

cajunshizz
01-09-2015, 01:02 AM
Somehow i managed to screw up the overclocks that were possible from the vga tool to where it wouldn't let me go past 1097 core clock and 2506 memory clock. I did find that to fix it and get full OC potential back, i had to reinstall the drivers from the asus website; VGA_nVidia_Verde_Win81_64_VER918133788. I'm now rocking 1232 cc and 2777 mc on my G750jm and will do some more thermal test to make sure its legit. 3dmark 11 score: 5902 (with -50mv offset on cpu & cache.

sasuke256
01-18-2015, 08:42 AM
Can someone PM me the VGATOOL01.EXE ? Thx

SJDIII
03-25-2015, 08:40 AM
I followed your instructions, it didn't work.

Lunaraiyne
01-21-2016, 03:03 AM
Is this thread still alive? I have questions about my G750JM, I'm stuck at the factory-set limits in MSI Afterburner of +135 on the core clock. Memory, I don't mind a +500, it works fine for me.

blAckstar1x
11-12-2016, 04:48 PM
I get the following error after pressing set with the latest settings:

---------------------------
Error
SetClock Failure
OK

I edited the clock.ini after what you wrote, but, I can't manage to use the settings.

I'm running my G750JM on Windows 10. I'm using the win 8.1 GPU tweaker, since the win 10 doesn't have it's own tweaker... Could that be the reason?