PDA

View Full Version : G750JS Network issues

Belgemine
04-24-2014, 10:06 PM
Hey guys,

I've just picked up a G750JS yesterday, and I'm fairly happy with it.

I do however have an issue where it doesnt seem to want to stay connected to the internet, either wireless or wired.

Its fine when playing D3 for example, but when using the web browser (chrome) and/or downloading files it drops connection all the time (connection to the router is fine, but internet just goes inactive).

Other computers on the same router are having no issues.

I've done all of the updates etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

sasuke256
04-24-2014, 10:52 PM
enabling QoS may be ?

hmscott
04-24-2014, 11:14 PM
Hey guys,

I've just picked up a G750JS yesterday, and I'm fairly happy with it.

I do however have an issue where it doesnt seem to want to stay connected to the internet, either wireless or wired.

Its fine when playing D3 for example, but when using the web browser (chrome) and/or downloading files it drops connection all the time (connection to the router is fine, but internet just goes inactive).
Other computers on the same router are having no issues.
I've done all of the updates etc.
Any ideas?
Thanks,

There are two things that have helped, besides updating the router firmware and Windows drivers to the latest Wireless drivers for your card.

1) In the router enable WMM

2) In the router set Wide channel mode, change from 20/40 to 40.

It would help to know what make/model router and wireless card you are using. :)

Let us know if that helps.

Belgemine
04-24-2014, 11:23 PM
I have a technicolor TG589, its a crappy ISP router - i use it because i can't seem to find another router that's compatible with VDSL.

I cant seem to find the options you've mentioned, this is about all i can see.

Configuration

WLAN Enable: Yes

Interface Enabled: Yes

Power Reduction Enabled: No

Physical Address:

Network Name (SSID): TELECOM9DBE2E

Interface Type: 802.11b/g/n

Actual Speed [Mbps]: 65

Band: 2.4GHz

hmscott
04-24-2014, 11:29 PM
I have a technicolor TG589, its a crappy ISP router - i use it because i can't seem to find another router that's compatible with VDSL.

I cant seem to find the options you've mentioned, this is about all i can see.

Configuration

WLAN Enable: Yes

Interface Enabled: Yes

Power Reduction Enabled: No

Physical Address:

Network Name (SSID): TELECOM9DBE2E

Interface Type: 802.11b/g/n

Actual Speed [Mbps]: 65

Band: 2.4GHz

Not a lot to work with :)

There must be another configuration area, but you are likely locked out of it, only the ISP can get in. It's usually a pain to get them to make configuration settings, but sometimes I have been able to get them to set the configuration password to one we both know, you could try calling and asking how to proceed to make the settings changes I listed above.

In those kind of situations I recommend disabling the Wifi on the ISP router - if possible, and get your own Wireless router/access point that you can plug in to the ISP router LAN ethernet and use your own Wireless instead of the ISP wireless.

Move to 5Ghz, if your G750 card supports it.

Belgemine
04-24-2014, 11:32 PM
Thanks for that, I think i've just found a router that would do the trick ASUS DSL-N66U.

I don't think its a wireless issue though, has even when its plugged into the router i have the same issue.

At the moment what I'm doing it wired only, and ever 2 to 3 mins i have to un plug and re plug it to get it to do something.

hmscott
04-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Thanks for that, I think i've just found a router that would do the trick ASUS DSL-N66U.

I don't think its a wireless issue though, has even when its plugged into the router i have the same issue.

At the moment what I'm doing it wired only, and ever 2 to 3 mins i have to un plug and re plug it to get it to do something.

Missed that, "or wired", that does change things.

DSL automatically disconnects and reconnects based on usage, it is likely something to do with that.

If it was just ethernet or wireless we could blame the G750 interface affected, but since it is both it is likely the DSL router WAN configuration.

It has been a while, but I think I used to set it to persistent connection, set Max Idle Time to 0 - always connected - and enable Keep Alive.

If those settings options aren't available there were systray apps that would do a ping keepalive to keep the connection open while idle.

Like these:
http://dsl.software.informer.com/download-dsl-keep-alive-connection/

I haven't tried any of those, or had a DSL connection for a long time, so be sure and read reviews and check the downloads carefully before opening them.

DSL disconnects because a connection keeps a resource allocated to answer the DSL connection at the ISP, so to be a good user you should set the systray app to stop holding the connection open when you don't need it. Usually it is enough to shutdown Windows, but if you keep Windows on all the time - then use the systray app to release the connection when you don't need it.

The Asus DSL DSL-N66U router looks cool :)

Belgemine
04-25-2014, 10:34 AM
So, after a lot of mucking around and trail and error - I've discovered the problem.

Turns out that windows 8.1 does something odd with the DNS settings, which is why it effects both wired and wireless.

For anyone who has this issue, I fixed it by turning off auto find DNS and loading in 8.8.8.8 as the primary and 8.8.4.4 as the alternative.

Thanks for your input guys :)

hmscott
04-25-2014, 10:37 AM
So, after a lot of mucking around and trail and error - I've discovered the problem.

Turns out that windows 8.1 does something odd with the DNS settings, which is why it effects both wired and wireless.

For anyone who has this issue, I fixed it by turning off auto find DNS and loading in 8.8.8.8 as the primary and 8.8.4.4 as the alternative.

Thanks for your input guys :)

Good to know, thanks Belgemine :)

Is this the thread you found, or do you have another link?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d799e421-c965-4b0c-9829-1dc2c37fbb58/windows-81-loses-internet-connectivity?forum=w8itpronetworking

"Problem Solved: It is a DNS issue....With the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 Windows now handles DNS differently.

The solution is to Change your DNS to the Google Public Setting...I have done this and haven't had a problem since. I have even confirmed this fix with my ISP and they seemed surprised that I didn't know about it.

So: Step 1 Control Panel---Network and Sharing Center---Change adapter settings

Step 2 Select the connection you are using...ie Wifi or LAN

Step 3 Click on the networking tab. Click on internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and the Properties

Step 4 Click on Avanced and then the DNS tab

Step 5: Uncheck the "obtain DNS server address automatically" and check the "Use the following DNS server address"

Step 6 Use the following Google DNS settings ....Preferred DNS Server 8.8.8.8

...Alternative DNS Server 8.8.4.4.

Step 7 Click OK and restart you network connection for changes to be applied."

There must be a router configuration element too, because I haven't needed to play with setting a fixed DNS configuration, DNS servers are automatically picked up through DHCP from the router over the LAN, and the router gets the ISP DNS servers automatically through DHCP from/through the ISP router/switch.

Belgemine
04-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Yup that's the one.

I've convinced the mrs that I still need to get a new router though :P

hmscott
04-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Yup that's the one.

I've convinced the mrs that I still need to get a new router though :P

Sweet :)

Let us know how you like your new router.