PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1 on SSD and data on HDD?

SeattleROG
04-25-2014, 05:29 AM
Just unboxed my G750JZ setup in RAID-1 config (personal choice). I bought this computer as a Mac substitue for media work only (video editing, audio production, 3D modeling, etc.) Before I get too far into setting up all my programs and such, I want to setup my Windows User Profile and all data folders (Documents/Downloads/Pictures/Music/etc) on the 1TB HDD. After reviewing maaaaany Microsoft threads on the topic to no avail, I wanted to ask this forum what their best practices were. Doesn't look like an easy fix.

I'm already running 8.1.

I look forward to being part of the community!

Thanks,

E

hmscott
04-25-2014, 06:52 AM
Just unboxed my G750JZ setup in RAID-1 config (personal choice). I bought this computer as a Mac substitue for media work only (video editing, audio production, 3D modeling, etc.) Before I get too far into setting up all my programs and such, I want to setup my Windows User Profile and all data folders (Documents/Downloads/Pictures/Music/etc) on the 1TB HDD. After reviewing maaaaany Microsoft threads on the topic to no avail, I wanted to ask this forum what their best practices were. Doesn't look like an easy fix.

I'm already running 8.1.

I look forward to being part of the community!

Thanks,

E

SeattleROG, better to pick the applications that drop large amounts / sizes of files in your home directory and direct them to drop files in a folder on the 2nd Bay drive.

iTunes, Steam, BattleNet, Ubisoft, Vmware, etc.

I would recommend setting up your SSD RAID as a RAID0, double the space and 2x the performance, and do an image backup to the 1TB on a daily / rolling basis.

If you want to continue the performance theme, get an Evo 1TB and put it in the 2nd Bay, and put the 1TB into an external USB 3.0 and reduce heat / power drain. Now you have an external backup drive, and 1.5TB of SSD in the G750.

And, don't forget to disable pagefile and disable hibernate to recover 48GB (64GB?) of hidden files on your boot drive.

senttel
04-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Hey scott,

Can you actually disable hibernate function on windows 8.1? I thought it did not existed

hmscott
04-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Hey scott,

Can you actually disable hibernate function on windows 8.1? I thought it did not existed

senttel, Windows 8.0/8.1 hibernate is off by default, but enabling Fastboot requires hibernate on.

For fastboot to be enabled, hibernate needs to be enabled, and last I restored using Asus Backtracker restored fastboot and hibernate in Windows 8.0, and updating to 8.1 didn't get rid of it.

So I used the command "powercfg.exe /hibernate off", and it turned off fastboot/hibernate, and I have no hiberfil.sys, so yes :)

Here is the long way to disable
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2082951/disable-hibernation-windows-windows.html

Here is the short way to disable hibernate
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

I haven't used a new G750 JM/JS/JZ that comes with Windows 8.1, so IDK if Fastboot/Hibernate is enabled... anyone wanna check their new 8.1 G750 JM/JS/JZ using the links above to confirm if Fastboot/Hibernate comes enabled?

senttel
04-25-2014, 08:36 AM
My JW currently fully boots from a complete shut down in less than 10 seconds and at the moment my hibernate function is switched off, so you are telling me that I've been running my machine this whole time without fastboot enabled?

hmscott
04-25-2014, 08:44 AM
My JW currently fully boots from a complete shut down in less than 10 seconds and at the moment my hibernate function is switched off, so you are telling me that I've been running my machine this whole time without fastboot enabled?

How Windows 8 Hybrid Shutdown / Fast Boot feature works
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/how-windows-8-hybrid-shutdown-fast-boot-feature-works/

I also run with Windows Fastboot disabled and I boot up pretty quickly too.

Look at Task Manager => Startup Tab, how many seconds does it say it took from BIOS? Mine usually says 1.2 seconds, right now it says 1.3 seconds, and occasionally after a Windows Update or install it jumps up to 10 seconds. I think mine is quick due to the RAID0 boot drive - when I booted the JH off of the Samsung Pro 512GB the time went to 2.0 or 2.1 seconds.

SeattleROG
04-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback HMSCOTT. I will take your advice and configure back to RAID0.

My BIOS time was 3.2 last time I booted. Thats plenty of speed for me.

Is the consensus to keep my Windows User Profile and all Programs (Chrome, Google Earth, Adobe Creative Cloud Apps, Etc.) on the SSD yet save all files for the programs and media (photos, music, videos, projects, etc) to the HDD? I've heard to keep 30% of the SSD free for performance reasons.

Thoughts on this choice?

Thanks

mintys1
04-26-2014, 12:25 PM
hmscott I have seemingly done all the tweaks you have suggested and my startup time is around 6secs in task manager...anything I might of missed?

hmscott
04-26-2014, 09:54 PM
hmscott I have seemingly done all the tweaks you have suggested and my startup time is around 6secs in task manager...anything I might of missed?

Do you have a Hard Disk boot disk, or an SSD, or an SSD RAID0 ? I have 2 x 128GB SSD in RAID0, so that helps.

And, did you disable all non-essential startup programs? Here is my startup tab. Note that my boot time is now 1.5s after optimizing my C drive.

See post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46574-Degrading-RAID0-SSD-performance&p=396275&viewfull=1#post396275

mintys1
04-27-2014, 06:38 AM
I have 2 x 128gb ssds in raid0 ...and a 512gb 840pro as my data drive...I am sure that my first jh had quicker boot times than what I have now, and that was without any of the tweeks suggested here?...strange.
I have restored this computer several times using my backtracker usb, and also combined my partitions etc..disabled pagefile/hibernate..
mmm...might have to do a clean install..see if that helps at all..

hmscott
04-27-2014, 07:41 AM
I have 2 x 128gb ssds in raid0 ...and a 512gb 840pro as my data drive...I am sure that my first jh had quicker boot times than what I have now, and that was without any of the tweeks suggested here?...strange.
I have restored this computer several times using my backtracker usb, and also combined my partitions etc..disabled pagefile/hibernate..
mmm...might have to do a clean install..see if that helps at all..

Try rebuilding the RAID0, and enable fastboot in the BIOS. Also, disable all the startup stuff you don't need. It all adds up.

What numbers are you seeing? Startup time and CrystalDiskMark?

mintys1
04-27-2014, 08:26 AM
whats the correct process for rebuilding the RAID0...start up time for bios is around 6sec mark..

hmscott
04-27-2014, 08:36 AM
whats the correct process for rebuilding the RAID0...start up time for bios is around 6sec mark..

What are your Enabled Startup devices? When my times creep up it's because I haven't disabled startup apps from things I have recently installed.

mintys1
04-27-2014, 08:46 AM
I have tried it with everything disabled and just basic services running...only changes from about 0.1 sec difference in bios boot time..

mintys1
04-27-2014, 12:01 PM

mintys1
04-27-2014, 12:19 PM

mintys1
04-27-2014, 12:21 PM
any ideas or improvements I can do?

hmscott
04-27-2014, 12:49 PM
any ideas or improvements I can do?

mintys1, the 5.8 seconds was with all those apps enabled? Try disabling all of them. Also, you have a number of items that have services running, even after disabling the startup items, they are sapping resources - some might cause gaming lag. I try to keep my gaming laptop free of normal vampire apps that can run in the background at random times causing lag in games. Leave those things on your desktop :)

Next time you do a complete clean restore, run all the benchmarks and performance tests before installing anything - that is your baseline - the best performance you can attain. Then come up with a quick series of tests you can run every time you install something new - to find the worst offenders of overall performance and lag causing. Pretty soon you will get a feel for what to install, and what to install only when you need it - then remove it till next time :)

IDK why you are 262MB/sec slower than what I am seeing, but you could try doing some configuration testing. I did a clean restore to my 512GB SSD - after pulling the 2 x 128GB M.2 drives - ran on it for a while, found my benchmarks decreased, put the 2 x 128GB back in and my performance was back up - 3 months later my performance was down 200MB/sec - Ran the Raxco SmartPlacement Classic optimize and performance came back again.

Just now I did a partial CrystalDiskMark run with video running on my external display, and the read speed came up at 997, ran it again without the playback, and got 1015, now I will try after closing Firefox... brb

Same speed with Firefox running:

BTW, do you quit systray apps before benchmarking? Or turn off Anti-virus / Anti-spyware / etc - anything that will scan writes to the disk?

If you have lots of tabs open in your browser, reloading pages - ad's, etc, that will slow things down too.

You could start up the Task Manager Resource Monitor, sort by CPU or Disk IO and watch for anything that pops up as you watch it.

Basically, reduce all the draws on IO service - disable paging too - to give your disk a clean quiet space to benchmark.

mintys1
04-28-2014, 08:33 PM
did a crystalmark optimise and got these results36188

hmscott
04-28-2014, 09:18 PM
did a crystalmark optimise and got these results..

Looks good mintys1 :)

HomieOC
04-28-2014, 09:36 PM
everything seems to be on par with his except for the first one ): ...

scott.. im trying to get IIS working on windows 2012 server.. think you could help me? help me by remote connection? if u know about IIS i have a windows 2012 server with hypernia.com that you can use for the next 4 weeks :) if not its all good... basically i can't access my http or ftp if it isn't local ip but my ports r open. thx

hmscott
04-28-2014, 10:27 PM
everything seems to be on par with his except for the first one ): ...

HomieOC, IDK what is killing the READ's for you... but the rest looks good :)

It might be that you have a different model of NGFF M.2, or you have another processes filtering reads slowing things down... if you track it down let us know.

Sorry, can't help with IIS :(

mintys1
04-29-2014, 05:11 PM

mintys1
04-29-2014, 05:12 PM
getting slightly better results after another perfect disc optimisation...

hmscott
04-29-2014, 09:03 PM
getting slightly better results after another perfect disc optimization...

It's going to vary over time, with browser running, with background processes using IO coming in during the run, between optimizations, etc. You don't need to keep watching it daily, every month should be enough. Unless you are trying to find an install that grossly affects performance...