PDA

View Full Version : Asus g750 jm with 860m

dblkk
04-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Picked up a Asus g750 jm, had to replace once due to thermals being way to high. The new one I have has less than ideal build quality, plastic border around screen loose, and space bar pretty loose as well.

Going to return AGAIN!

But upon reading through forums and reviews, I stumbled on the msi gt60-70. For $1400. Same price as mine. But the msi includes a i7 4800 and a gtx 870m. I know its a single fan, and cooling isn't as good as the asus. And fan noise is also louder due to the single fan. But fan noise from reviews shows only a 5 db difference. And as far as temps, stress tests show gpu/cpu both at 90c. Which makes sense since theyre both right by one another, and the fact its a 870m and a 4800. But my temps under stress are also 85-95c cpu, only gamed on gpu never stressed but sits around 65c. That's not much difference in temps, fan noise is also not to bad.

So, I know im on a rog forum, should I get the msi due to the upgraded gpu. I really like the 870m, I render more far than game, and 870m seems to perform much better at this. I do like my asus, really do. But I cant afford $1800 for the 870m version, but if at same price I can get that from the msi, is it worth it?

dblkk
04-25-2014, 02:23 PM
I really like the asus better, and do think its better than the msi. But from what I see the 870m is really quite a bit better. And the msi doesn't seem like a bad machine at all, I mean its actually reviewed and preferred on many reviews over the asus. My liking is asus first, but for the same price, that 870m.............

senttel
04-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Hi,

Just go with what is more suitable for you, we can't make a decision over two decent machines for you. Make pros and cons list and compare them, choose by the features that will be most relevant to you. It's your call :)

dblkk
04-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks, thing is pro/con is msi favored all the way. Personal preference leans asus.

Problem is, ive seen, owned, used the asus. Other than pictures I haven't seen the msi, nor used or touched. And, on paper a lot of things look good, until you use them. So, was hoping that someone would have some personal either first or third hand knowledge about both laptops and could give some input.

Adding to....just before this post but after first post, my blutooth on laptop seems to have gone haywire. My mouse just stopped working, I thought computer froze until I used the trackpad. I went and checked blutooth settings and mouse was still there. turned mouse off and on, restarted computer, replaced batteries in mouse. Forgot mouse, and then while trying to pair it again, I get errors everytime. Restarted laptop, same thing. Went over to my surface pro, and paired mouse without a hitch. Tried pairing my bltooth headset to laptop, nothing just errors, yet headset works on surface just fine. Went to pair my phone, nothing. So, don't know what happned between one second and the other, but maybe drivers or something idk.

hmscott
04-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks, thing is pro/con is msi favored all the way. Personal preference leans asus.

Problem is, ive seen, owned, used the asus. Other than pictures I haven't seen the msi, nor used or touched. And, on paper a lot of things look good, until you use them. So, was hoping that someone would have some personal either first or third hand knowledge about both laptops and could give some input.

Adding to....just before this post but after first post, my blutooth on laptop seems to have gone haywire. My mouse just stopped working, I thought computer froze until I used the trackpad. I went and checked blutooth settings and mouse was still there. turned mouse off and on, restarted computer, replaced batteries in mouse. Forgot mouse, and then while trying to pair it again, I get errors everytime. Restarted laptop, same thing. Went over to my surface pro, and paired mouse without a hitch. Tried pairing my bltooth headset to laptop, nothing just errors, yet headset works on surface just fine. Went to pair my phone, nothing. So, don't know what happned between one second and the other, but maybe drivers or something idk.

Get the MSI and if you like it keep it, if not, come back and get another G750 :)

Probably another Bluetooth device is interfering with the pairing to the G750. I have had similar issues, and found it was another laptop, or my iPad trying to attach to the same device. Turn off all BT stuff, and start from a base of just your G750 and 1 device, and re-pair it, and each other device you use with the G750. Worked for me.