PDA

View Full Version : Default Asus blu ray player or buy a new one?

Kongrosian
04-25-2014, 03:46 PM
]Hello guys.
I purchased a GX750JH, I still don't understand why there isn't a default blu ray player, considering the top line of this product.
Here my question: which is the best choice to play blu ray? Cyberlink, Arcsoft or is AsusDVD player able to play blu ray disc too?
No freeware option I guess, but let me know your thoughts.

hmscott
04-25-2014, 04:09 PM
]Hello guys.
I purchased a GX750JH, I still don't understand why there isn't a default blu ray player, considering the top line of this product.
Here my question: which is the best choice to play blu ray? Cyberlink, Arcsoft or is AsusDVD player able to play blu ray disc too?
No freeware option I guess, but let me know your thoughts.

Kongrosian, my JH came with Asus DVD enabled for blu-ray, but I already have a license for Cyberlink PowerDVD 14, so I use that and uninstalled the Asus DVD player.

When you start up Asus DVD player, do you get the supported logo's screen, including Blu-ray?

It might be a bug in the distribution build for your laptop, I would complain to Asus, they should give you a download for a Blu-ray version of Asus DVD.

http://vip.asus.com <== register a login and register your laptop, then file a Technical Inquiry

To get by for now, you can use the 3 month for $14.99 / quarter or $44.99 per year Cyberlink subscription plan, that lets you keep completely up to date on the release and install on a few machines as well:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-live/features_en_US.html

Kongrosian
04-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Thank you hmscott for the quick answer.
Unfortunately maybe I uninstalled AsusDVD player thinking it was useless and not able to play bluray. :(
I will follow your tip writing to Asus support center explaining my problem.
However, even if I get a free download, is it a good player or do you suggest to buy a license of powerDVD for better experience?

cl-Albert
04-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Thank you hmscott for the quick answer.
Unfortunately maybe I uninstalled AsusDVD player thinking it was useless and not able to play bluray. :(
I will follow your tip writing to Asus support center explaining my problem.
However, even if I get a free download, is it a good player or do you suggest to buy a license of powerDVD for better experience?

If you don't mind erasing everything and reinstaling Windows, you may want to consider trying a Windows 'reset' to get back the AsusDVD software? Assume you still have the original factory recovery partition installed to do this.

Kongrosian
04-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Yes Albert, I still have the recovery partition but I don't mind to erase my OS only for a player! It's like burning home to kill a spider, or? :D
I am thinking to spend some money for a license of powerDVD if the support center will not give me a free download or if Asus player is not good enough. At the moment I don't have any idea of how it works so I can't decide wisely.
I am sad that there are not good solutions of freeware player; VLC and MPC play the disc without menu and/or slowly. After purchasing a monster notebook, what you want is a monster performance, or? ;)

cl-Albert
04-25-2014, 06:20 PM
Yes, Kongrosian, it's definitely not a good solution for everybody, but thought if you did not have too much software installed yet, it may be something you want to consider.

This idea may not work any better, but if you have not backed up your factory recovery partition, you may want to do this using the ASUS Backtracker software discussed in this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40548-Backing-up-your-ASUS-factory-Win8-Recovery-Partition&country=&status=), or use other software to create a back-up if you prefer.
If you have a second hard drive, or a way to restore your back-up image to another hard drive (without getting into trouble about warranty), this is another idea to try out the AsusDVD software?

It may not be worth the time and trouble to go through this to test the AsusDVD software, but you probably want to create a back-up image at least.

Maybe we can get more feedback from other G750JH users about the AsusDVD player for blu ray playback too.

cl-Albert
04-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Sorry, this may be another bad idea, but if you didn't know, you should have a copy of the driver disk in your original ASUS Windows image.

It probably does not contain the AsusDVD software, but look under your C: drive for the 'eSupport' / 'eDriver' folder to check, or run the 'AsInsWiz' (ASUS Install Wizard?) application from the eDriver folder to see if it gives you an option to reinstall the AsusDVD software.

Otherwise, it sounds like you need to recover the original factory image to get back the AsusDVD software.

hmscott
04-25-2014, 10:11 PM
My JH allows me to reinstall Asus DVD by running the Asus Installation Wizard:

C:\eSupport\eDriver\AsInsWiz.exe

All the items listed are currently uninstalled, but can be reinstalled.

Edit by cl-Albert: Again, thanks for all your help/information hmscott and hope it's ok to edit/reply in your post!

Kongrosian
04-30-2014, 09:26 AM
Thank you both for the pro answer!
Just receveid feedback from the support center too and they said the only way to have back the asus software is to reinstall windows -_-'
I dont' have anymore even the asinstwiz so I guess the solution above is the only for me.
Going to buy a license of powerDVD now, I think it's better in any case.
Thanks again for your help.