PDA

View Full Version : HAve a couple of problems with my G53SW.

fluxywild
10-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I recently bought a brand new g53sw and been loving every minute of it so far.

I just have a couple of problems that have been bugging me .

1) Whenever I connect my laptop to my TV via HDMI the laptop screen just goes black and stays that way untill I unplug the HDMI cable. I tried lower resolution, lowering refresh rate, even checking the drivers but so far nothing as worked. Black screen on my laptop and my Tv doesn't even detect anything.

2) Every other time I boot up my laptop the desktop would be blank. No icons no thing. this happens about 50% of the time. The other 50% everything looks fine.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks.

grungeboy2
10-05-2011, 07:28 PM
sounds like it's confused as to if another monitor is hooked up. had a similar incident with mine sometime back.

do you have a spare monitor?

there is a fn+f8 function that switches between view modes for the lcd panel. try playing with that.

xeromist
10-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Double check to make sure the TV is set to the correct input. Modern TV's often have more than one HDMI input so if you are on HDMI 1 but connected to HDMI 3 you will not get anything. Otherwise I would try another TV (a friend's maybe?) to see whether the problem is with the laptop or the TV.

Does the laptop boot normally when the desktop is blank? Does it say safe mode in the corners? Also, do you have more than one user set up on the laptop?

dstrakele
10-05-2011, 07:55 PM
2) Every other time I boot up my laptop the desktop would be blank. No icons no thing. this happens about 50% of the time. The other 50% everything looks fine.

It sounds like your laptop monitor and the TV are setup as extended and the TV is configured to be the main display (i.e. where the desktop icons and Start menu are located). Follow xeromist's advice to choose the proper HDMI input. If you still see nothing on the TV, it could be a bad cable or it may not be staying connected in the port. That might explain why it changes on you 50% of the time. You could try using a VGA monitor cable from your laptop to TV to test your laptop's output.

Right-click on an empty area of your laptop desktop and choose "Screen resolution". Click on the "Detect" button in the upper right, then click on "Identify" button to show the display number in each display. Select your laptop monitor (Mobile PC Display) and check the "Make this my main display" checkbox. In the "Multiple displays:" dropdown, choose "Extend these displays" if you want to extend your desktop from your laptop to the TV. Or choose "Show desktop only on 1".

Let us know how it goes.

fluxywild
10-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Sorry for not responding earlier. I was out of town and didn't get to use my laptop at all.

I tried connecting it to another TV using a completely different cable and I'm still having the same problem. The input is correct (I've even switched ports several times on both tvs)

I've done both xeromist and dstrakele's advice but still nothing.

Save me from this madness!

dstrakele
10-27-2011, 02:56 PM
1) Have you tried clicking on the "Detect" button in the Screen Resolution dialog after connecting the TV to the laptop? What happens when you do?

2) If you select your laptop display and then go into "Advanced Settings" from the Screen Resollution dialog, does selecting the "Troubleshoot" tab and clicking the "Change Settings" button have any effect?

3) What resolutions are being used for the laptop and TV displays? Have you tried using the native resolutions on both? The same resolution on both?

4) Did you try cycling the Fn-F8 key as grungeboy suggested?

5) What version video driver are you currently running? Have you attempted to update this driver?