PDA

View Full Version : Deleting recovery partitions

JeniCzech
04-27-2014, 10:29 PM
Hey there,

I'm very disappointed by placing recovery partitions on SSD rather than on HDD, so I have decided to delete them to free up some space. The point is: There was issues with Killer drivers that caused PC to hang while turning off in "nearly turned off state" - everything was off except LEDs, and i was unable to power the PC by pressing power button (needed to force-off by long press first). Returning to old driver fixed this. The thing is: i want to backup those drivers from recovery before I delete them, but didn't figured out how to directly access the files in them. I have downloaded Windows 8.1 ISO and burned it in case of disaster, so no risk will be taken.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

JeniCzech

hmscott
04-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Hey there,

I'm very disappointed by placing recovery partitions on SSD rather than on HDD, so I have decided to delete them to free up some space. The point is: There was issues with Killer drivers that caused PC to hang while turning off in "nearly turned off state" - everything was off except LEDs, and i was unable to power the PC by pressing power button (needed to force-off by long press first). Returning to old driver fixed this. The thing is: i want to backup those drivers from recovery before I delete them, but didn't figured out how to directly access the files in them. I have downloaded Windows 8.1 ISO and burned it in case of disaster, so no risk will be taken.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

JeniCzech

JeniCzech, you can use Asus Backtracker to backup the Recovery Partition and create a bootable USB 3.0 Flash drive - at least 16GB. You can use that the do a recovery restore to any SSD/HD. Make sure you remove the 2nd bay drive before doing the restore, as it will erase and partition the 2nd bay drive just like original shipping configuration.

http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS%20Backtracker/HelpDesk_Download/

JeniCzech
04-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Thanks for quick response. I know about backtracker, but that just ain't what i want... Next time i'll reinstall OS i just need to skip the whole bunch of updates (the image doesn't contain 8.1) and get rid of bloatware by default... I am familiar with the process, in fact it is more convenient for me, this is first laptop i've ever had and on desktops i've always used clean setup method... Only thing i want are drivers, in case Qualcomm didn't fixed its driver yet...

hmscott
04-27-2014, 11:03 PM
Thanks for quick response. I know about backtracker, but that just ain't what i want... Next time i'll reinstall OS i just need to skip the whole bunch of updates (the image doesn't contain 8.1) and get rid of bloatware by default... I am familiar with the process, in fact it is more convenient for me, this is first laptop i've ever had and on desktops i've always used clean setup method... Only thing i want are drivers, in case Qualcomm didn't fixed its driver yet...

JeniCzech, after configuring I use Macrium Reflect to make an image backup I can restore, saves time.

Macrium Reflect
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

The main difference with laptops vs. desktops is you can get screwed pretty quickly by blowing away the recovery partition and thinking you can recreate it all on your own like you do with a desktop. It isn't the same, and can get quite frustrating.

Before you blow away the recovery partition, burning that bridge, I would consider backing it up and preserving the ability to go back to the Asus OEM configuration. Otherwise you would need to spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel - finding and downloading all the drivers / software that makes up the Asus recovery install.

Saving a copy of C:\eSupport is a good idea too.

There isn't that much bloatware, I uninstall:

Asus Splendid - Messes with Color in a Garish way... uck.
Asus Power4Gear - Adds nothing beyond Windows Balanced/High Performance/Battery Saver
ROG Gaming Mouse - causes crashes on Windows 8.1 for some.
Asus DVD - I use Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultimate 14
Cyberlink Power2Go - Don't need it.
AsusVibe2.0 - Don't need it.

Check the Asus download areas for the new G750's for updated drivers for Windows 8.1.
http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

Your original question was about removing the original Recovery partition, and doing the Asus Backtracker backup preserves that for you, so you can delete it, and the 2nd partition on the SSD volume, so you can reabsorb the now free space into the C partition, so it looks like this:

JeniCzech
04-27-2014, 11:30 PM
Using diskpart i was able to mount the partitions and access them. with no avail, the files are encrypted anyway, so i just deleted them, next windows setup is like 5-7 years ahead considering my care of OS... hopefully Qualcomm will fix that issue by that time... This also answers imaging suggestion: After such timespan all imaged software would be awfully outdated anyway and by that time i'll likely use different software...

I've removed the partitions, but one, which is there and i dont know why, have no volume assigned. Any idea of it's purpose? Is it safe to erase? It's blocking last 900 MB of space, which i can live without, but when i'm on it... see partition 3 on attached image...

hmscott
04-27-2014, 11:43 PM
Using diskpart i was able to mount the partitions and access them. with no avail, the files are encrypted anyway, so i just deleted them, next windows setup is like 5-7 years ahead considering my care of OS... hopefully Qualcomm will fix that issue by that time... This also answers imaging suggestion: After such timespan all imaged software would be awfully outdated anyway and by that time i'll likely use different software...

I've removed the partitions, but one, which is there and i dont know why, have no volume assigned. Any idea of it's purpose? Is it safe to erase? It's blocking last 900 MB of space, which i can live without, but when i'm on it... see partition 3 on attached image...

You deleted partitions you couldn't understand, you now have no way to recover back to shipping config, and you are wondering whether you can delete the last mystery 900MB partition on your first laptop?

Why does this remind me of Russian Roulette :)

No, don't delete that partition. GPT partitioning requires it, so please don't delete it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824839.aspx

Let me see if Asus has a recovery set available to order.
Update: No, nothing available.

Because although you have no intention of rebuilding Windows any time soon, Windows might have other plans in mind :)

JeniCzech
04-27-2014, 11:50 PM
I am well aware of that, and aware of purpose of these partitions... why would I want to? :) I have my key saved in EFI, that's all what matters to me... I am able to setup the OS by myself, and would spend a weekend by customizing it to my needs one way or another...

Erasing the last 128 MB partition did nothing apparently, possibly just some sort of disk offset... I can safely assume that those partitions are not essential to system runtime, and are needed solely for recovery purposes...

hmscott
04-27-2014, 11:51 PM
I am well aware of that, and aware of purpose of these partitions... why would I want to? :) I have my key saved in EFI, that's all what matters to me... I am able to setup the OS by myself, and would spend a weekend by customizing it to my needs one way or another...

Erasing the last 128 MB partition did nothing apparently, possibly just some sort of disk offset... I can safely assume that those partitions are not essential to system runtime, and are needed solely for recovery purposes...

Ok, have fun :)

JeniCzech
04-27-2014, 11:55 PM
I can also confirm that Shift+Reboot menu works normally...

Thanks for the assistance, hmscott :) i appreciate it :)

hmscott
04-27-2014, 11:57 PM
...There was issues with Killer drivers that caused PC to hang while turning off in "nearly turned off state" - everything was off except LEDs, and i was unable to power the PC by pressing power button (needed to force-off by long press first). Returning to old driver fixed this....

JeniCzech, the new G750 JM/JS/JZ downloads areas have newer drivers for Windows 8.1 than are posted in JW/JX/JH download areas, and the updated driver for Wireless will solve that long shutdown/reboot problem (if you wait it does shutdown/reboot).

http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

JeniCzech
04-28-2014, 12:01 AM
hmscott: those drivers are like half-year old, i have bought this laptop like two months ago, updated everything and problem occured... unless there is something with '14 timestamp, it is likely affected by the issue... i am pretty much happy with working, old one :)

hmscott
04-28-2014, 12:02 AM
I can also confirm that Shift+Reboot menu works normally...

Thanks for the assistance, hmscott :) i appreciate it :)

Another time saving suggestion, which I think I will do, get a USB 3.0 16GB drive and visit my local Brick and Mortar and run Asus Backtracker against one of the demo JZ's to get a Windows 8.1 recovery flash drive. I would need to replace Asus GPU Tweak tool, and maybe something else(?), but that would be a nice backup to restore from - saving all that updating time.

hmscott
04-28-2014, 12:05 AM
hmscott: those drivers are like half-year old, i have bought this laptop like two months ago, updated everything and problem occured... unless there is something with '14 timestamp, it is likely affected by the issue... i am pretty much happy with working, old one :)

Which model did you get? JW/JX/JH or JM/JS/JZ?

Most of the new drivers in the JM/JS/JZ areas are from this year... you could just follow the link I gave and take a look... :)

We are talking about the Bluetooth drivers package, right?

JeniCzech
04-28-2014, 12:20 AM
i have JH, and yea, JZ have updated driver... thanks for the tip man! we are talking about wireless driver... or actually both drivers, as these are both one card...

Regarding the download of JZ's recovery... also nice idea, but i doubt any seller here in czech republic either have some of these in stock and displayed, and even if they have, they are usually jerks who think twice before they even let you touch it... not to mention plugging something in the usb, it would be disaster, cause all of the viruses i commonly store on freshly formated USB sticks...

i was once told off for taking photo of the specs for my friend...

And about that MSR partition... Thanks... it can be recreated though, so not a big deal...

create partition msr size=128 :)

hmscott
04-28-2014, 12:23 AM
i have JH, and yea, JZ have updated driver... thanks for the tip man! we are talking about wireless driver... or actually both drivers, as these are both one card...

Regarding the download of JZ's recovery... also nice idea, but i doubt any seller here in czech republic either have some of these in stock and displayed, and even if they have, they are usually jerks who think twice before they even let you touch it... not to mention plugging something in the usb, it would be disaster, cause all of the viruses i commonly store on freshly formated USB sticks...

i was once told off for taking photo of the specs for my friend...

Maybe you can find a local JZ owner that will make a backup for you - sans Virus's :)

It turns out it was only the Bluetooth drivers that caused the slow shutdown/reboot, but you might as well grab all the newest drivers and be completely up to date.

If you end up doing a rebuild it would be nice to have a snapshot of what drivers are installed, devices are showing, and a backup of all the most current JH/JZ - approriate JM/JS too - drivers to have handy for the rebuild. A copy of C:\eSupport too...

JeniCzech
04-28-2014, 12:34 AM
eSupport met its doom right after first boot :D i rarely use manuals, google is my manual :) Local JZ owner is possibly a best bet :) regarding grabbing drivers - i'll grab the freshest when they are needed - especially VGA drivers tend to outdate way too fast, so storing them is pretty much pointless... I'll make use of remaining space of Windows 8 setup disk tomorrow by burning in some utility drivers that might get hard to get overtime or might be good to have to download other drivers (ATK, OEM touchpad driver, and wireless driver) but now - nighty night :)

Thanks for all the info, i appreciate it :)

hmscott
04-28-2014, 05:43 AM
eSupport met its doom right after first boot :D i rarely use manuals, google is my manual :) Local JZ owner is possibly a best bet :) regarding grabbing drivers - i'll grab the freshest when they are needed - especially VGA drivers tend to outdate way too fast, so storing them is pretty much pointless... I'll make use of remaining space of Windows 8 setup disk tomorrow by burning in some utility drivers that might get hard to get overtime or might be good to have to download other drivers (ATK, OEM touchpad driver, and wireless driver) but now - nighty night :)

Thanks for all the info, i appreciate it :)

It looks like Asus G750 JM/JS/JZ download are has the newest Gigabit ethernet driver from Qualcomm, but not the most recent Killer 1202 or Bluetooth

Killer 1202 1.1.38.1281 from Qualcomm
http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/drivers/KillerSuite_1.1.38.1281_Win7_Win8_Win81.exe

Asus hosted BlueTooth drivers
Qualcomm Atheros BlueTooth driver - 8.01.318 (vs .314)
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/Bluetooth/Bluetooth_QualcommAtheros_Win81_64_VER801318.zip