PDA

View Full Version : Need bottom panel for G53SW-XN1

GuilTopia
10-06-2011, 03:03 AM
Hey guys, first post. Um, I accidentally tore the bottom panel off my laptop. It felt like they were some kind of plastic tabs when I was pulling so, one by one they just started popping off until I had taken the whole darn thing off. To my surprise I had torn the plastic from the screws. Does anyone know where I can buy the bottom panel? Thanks.

dstrakele
10-06-2011, 03:36 AM
I would think ASUS would be able to hook you up. Give them a call or better yet, contact one of the ASUS reps that frequent this forum.

GuilTopia
10-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I was kind of hoping to use "unofficial" channels as I would like to keep my warranty intact seeing as I just bought this less than a month ago you know. But, if all else fails, which it's looking that way I will contact ASUS support and bite the bullet, thanks.

JRd1st
10-06-2011, 05:22 PM
How hard did you pull it!? I can't even imaging pulling the bottom off by mistake unless the plastic is waaayyyyyy cheaper than imagine. Lol

dstrakele
10-06-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm under the impression that just removing the bottom of a G53SW-XN1 DOES NOT void the warranty. I thought you had to break the tamperproof seal on the CPU or something like that.

Anyone with more knowledge on warranty matters feel free to jump in here....

dstrakele
10-06-2011, 05:27 PM
How hard did you pull it!? I can't even imaging pulling the bottom off by mistake unless the plastic is waaayyyyyy cheaper than imagine. Lol

Yeah - I wish I had ol' GuilTopia around when I had to pull the head off my '74 Toyota LandCruiser straight 6.

JRd1st
10-06-2011, 05:33 PM
:D rofl

GuilTopia
10-06-2011, 08:08 PM
It was a lot easier than you might think. That's why I continued to pull after the first one "popped". The rest came off with very little effort. I was shocked when I looked into the computer to find I had busted all the plastic where the screws remain with the plastic still screwed on to the screws.

dstrakele
10-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I can see how that could happen, GuilTopia. I was just messin' with ya! Though they may be designed after Stealth Fighters, they sure ain't built like 'em. I'm sure the folks at ASUS will understand too and provide you with the part you need. As I said earlier, I don't believe you voided the warranty, but you will have to pay for the damaged part, since that was due to your actions - that's only fair, right?

JRd1st
10-06-2011, 09:40 PM
...but you will have to pay for the damaged part, since that was due to your actions - that's only fair, right?

Not necessarily; it was an accident, right? He should have accident coverage. :D

dstrakele
10-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Good Point, again, JRd1st! I forgot all about the accident coverage....

Chastity@ASUS
10-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Hey guys, first post. Um, I accidentally tore the bottom panel off my laptop. It felt like they were some kind of plastic tabs when I was pulling so, one by one they just started popping off until I had taken the whole darn thing off. To my surprise I had torn the plastic from the screws. Does anyone know where I can buy the bottom panel? Thanks.

Assuming you registered your ADW within the proper time limit, it can be replaced under ADW. It will cover the parts cost only iirc.

GuilTopia
10-13-2011, 02:01 PM
So I contacted ASUS support, waited a few days for a response. They told me to contact the ASUS estore, waited another few days for a response. They told me they don't have the part for sale so they tell me to contact ASUS repair. Even though I am covered under warranty I cannot send my laptop in, it is the only one I have and I need it for school, I absolutely cannot be without it. Still looking for panel bottom, hit me up if you have one, thanks.

JRd1st
10-13-2011, 02:08 PM
PM Chastity. Maybe she can make something happen. She's good at that!

grungeboy2
10-13-2011, 11:57 PM
protip. when working on computers, NEVER try to force something (either in or out). you'll break something and wish you hadn't.

you probably pulled with a good bit of force if you broke the screws from the plastic.

GuilTopia
10-15-2011, 04:36 AM
You see, that's the part I don't get, it pulled off rather easy. Either way, it was foolish, I get that.

grungeboy2
10-15-2011, 05:55 PM
it's one of those things you learn as you go.

when you deal with a cheaper, lower-end laptop, you'll see panels that pop out. but usually when you're dealing with something a bit nicer, most stuff will be screwed in, and require very little force to remove.

that's why ferrari mechanics don't exist but ferrari technicians do.

Chastity@ASUS
10-17-2011, 06:08 PM
See your PM