PDA

View Full Version : Rog g750 jm to js upgrade?

dblkk
04-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, ive posted on here a few times, but I currently have a jm model with 860m, im going to be exchanging in. I still have heat issues and the build quality on this specific laptop is subpar. I've gotten my budget up to $1800 now, so would be going to the js with 870m.

I use my laptop for video rendering and other autocad/maya type programs. Very cpu dominant but also use gpu for acceleration. The asus js series gets the 3gb 870m, and Ive really come to like my asus as far as laptop quality in general.

For $1800, I could also get the msi gt70. Which would come with i7 4800 and a 8gb 880m. I know and have read for hours and hours about heat and throttling as well as build quality. But I can deal with heat and throttling when I cant use the burst fan mode which is to loud, like when im in bed.

So my question, would the 4800 vs 4700, and the 880m vs the 870m, especially the 8gb ram vs the asus 3gb, would this make a huge difference in rendering and such?

JeniCzech
04-29-2014, 04:08 PM
The difference is not as dramatic... see benchmarks... as for me, i have seen few MSIs with very poor quality, check out MSI GX620 build quality in particular, have experience with that one... ASUS is far more pricey than MSI, but it is not just cause of ASUS logo...

dblkk
04-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Oh I know as far as laptop quality in general. I love my asus, well the first two I had which both overheated to over 100c. Build quality was super. This current one, which also overheats now, has some serious build quality issues though. But like I said I have $1800 now, so that's either the js asus, or the msi. And price/performance wise msi wins just hands down. The asus is very expensive for what you get. Thank god not alienware expensive, but pretty pricy non the less.

But differences and benchmarks Ive seen as far as productivity are only a few. But I cant believe that the difference isn't pretty dramatic? Do programs not utilize the gpu ram? Because when I load msi afterburner while running a rendering program, its shows core usage almost none, but ram usage 100%. So thought that 3gb vs 8gb would make a huge difference.

And if I look up and compare just cpu, its about a 10% increase in performance alone, plus the 880 vs 870 I cant find a great amount of information productivity wise, but spec wise the 880m is a fairly decent jump above the 870

dblkk
04-29-2014, 04:16 PM
And on another note, if there isn't much difference, shouldn't I just exchange for another jm model with 860 m? Keep that $400 and buy another Samsung 840 evo 1tb model to throw in for data storage and use my original 1tb evo for os and programs?

dblkk
04-29-2014, 04:28 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-800m-gr...

Best that I could find for comparison, using 3d mark professional (not entirely sure what that tests)
But for 3dmark score, 880m gets 5567, 870m gets 4305, and 860m gets 2906. So the biggest difference is seen between the 880 and 870, yet still a very big jump from 860 to 870.

The graphics score out of that seems to be almost an identical jump from scores, 880m 6197, 870m 4305, and 860m 3164

dblkk
04-29-2014, 05:30 PM
If I get individual benchmarks for 3dmark
firestrike 1.1 _ 4700&870m = 4326, 4800 &880m =4802
Cloudgate 1.1 - 4700&870m=17146, 4800&880m=25392
Icestorm 1.2 - 4700&870m=93400, 4800&880m=136752

hmscott
04-29-2014, 09:11 PM
If I get individual benchmarks for 3dmark
firestrike 1.1 _ 4700&870m = 4326, 4800 &880m =4802
Cloudgate 1.1 - 4700&870m=17146, 4800&880m=25392
Icestorm 1.2 - 4700&870m=93400, 4800&880m=136752

Stretch and get the low config JZ, or get a JH on sale :)

dblkk
04-29-2014, 10:03 PM
Oh id love to, but honestly the js is a stretch. At least the msi for $1800 would come with blu ray burner, in which I can return my $180 external blu ray burner, and actually make the msi laptop cost me $1600 ish.

hmscott
04-30-2014, 01:52 AM
Oh id love to, but honestly the js is a stretch. At least the msi for $1800 would come with blu ray burner, in which I can return my $180 external blu ray burner, and actually make the msi laptop cost me $1600 ish.

dblkk, the laptop blu-ray burner will likely not outperform the standalone one you paid $180, and speed is all that matters with a blu-ray burner - it takes forever on a slow burner. If you have lived with a G750, you will likely not be as happy with an MSI...

sasuke256
04-30-2014, 05:38 AM
dblkk, the laptop blu-ray burner will likely not outperform the standalone one you paid $180, and speed is all that matters with a blu-ray burner - it takes forever on a slow burner. If you have lived with a G750, you will likely not be as happy with an MSI...
Exact ! Overheating Problems, they may have nice keyboards and speakers, may be screens but the single fan design is just useless without repaste and even with it using MX-3 expect the 89 on CPU +GPU load ..

dblkk
04-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys, and again hmscott I should just keep your user profile on speed dial, haha. I really really think that the msi would be worth the 80% compared to the 100% quality laptop I feel the asus is. Plus the 880m is a pretty good leap from the 870m. Plus the fact that tear down pon the msi is minuets instead of hours on the asus.

But oddly enough, went on amazon to order, and ended up g750 js in cart and purchased. (been best buying it and exchanging and stuff, but best buy order would take next Thursday/Friday at the fastest, but amazon used free 2day prime and next day delivery costed $6, I couldn't pass that up, plus best buy I only get 1 year standard, amazon/newegg/ect I get 1 year plus 1 year accident)

Now I was in total agreance that the msi would be the better value and worth the cons to get that 880m, went to buy the msi, just couldn't pull that trigger. Asus g750 js it is.

hmscott
04-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks guys, and again hmscott I should just keep your user profile on speed dial, haha. I really really think that the msi would be worth the 80% compared to the 100% quality laptop I feel the asus is. Plus the 880m is a pretty good leap from the 870m. Plus the fact that tear down pon the msi is minuets instead of hours on the asus.

But oddly enough, went on amazon to order, and ended up g750 js in cart and purchased. (been best buying it and exchanging and stuff, but best buy order would take next Thursday/Friday at the fastest, but amazon used free 2day prime and next day delivery costed $6, I couldn't pass that up, plus best buy I only get 1 year standard, amazon/newegg/ect I get 1 year plus 1 year accident)

Now I was in total agreance that the msi would be the better value and worth the cons to get that 880m, went to buy the msi, just couldn't pull that trigger. Asus g750 js it is.

Congrats dbkk!

Let us know how you love it when you get it :)

Benchmarks!

dblkk
04-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Congrats dbkk!

Let us know how you love it when you get it :)

Benchmarks!

oh I will definitely post benchmarks as well as full on review. Really wish a msn gt70 owner would've done the same. Figure if it helps even one person out defy worth it. And thanks again guys.

Side note, is it regular Mata drives in the j's? 128x2 is just to small, will be picking up 2x Samsung evo 256 or 512gb drives if I can. Trying to figure out how to copy windows off raid Mata onto raid Mata drives though, so I don't have to buy windows. Think backpack recover drive might work, but ill post those findings out as well. otherwise I've ordered the j's, and a dvd to hhd bay for my second 840evo 1tb sad. that way ill hopefully get 3tb of sad greatness. I video edit and only way to not bottleneck is to have windows and program on one drive, read from a separate, and write to a separate. that way its 500gb all the way. otherwise the sad speed getsshared so its like 200mbread 200 Mb write, processor at like 40%.

hmscott
04-30-2014, 10:53 PM
oh I will definitely post benchmarks as well as full on review. Really wish a msn gt70 owner would've done the same. Figure if it helps even one person out defy worth it. And thanks again guys.

Side note, is it regular Mata drives in the j's? 128x2 is just to small, will be picking up 2x Samsung evo 256 or 512gb drives if I can. Trying to figure out how to copy windows off raid Mata onto raid Mata drives though, so I don't have to buy windows. Think backpack recover drive might work, but ill post those findings out as well. otherwise I've ordered the j's, and a dvd to hhd bay for my second 840evo 1tb sad. that way ill hopefully get 3tb of sad greatness. I video edit and only way to not bottleneck is to have windows and program on one drive, read from a separate, and write to a separate. that way its 500gb all the way. otherwise the sad speed getsshared so its like 200mbread 200 Mb write, processor at like 40%.

dblkk, only the JZ/JH have the RAID0 card with the 2 NGFF M.2 drives - they aren't the same as mSATA - it is a different form factor.

Here are some postings with info:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39905-G750JH-DB71-Who-has-replaced-the-M.2-drives-with-larger-drives&p=336034&viewfull=1#post336034

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46498-G750-JZ-880m-hard-drive-question&highlight=ngff

Besides the JH/JZ with RAID0, for the most part all the G750's have 2 x 2.5" drives in the internal 2 bays, but recently someone reported getting a JS with 1 256GB M.2 NGFF drive mounted on an adapter card in the boot drive Bay. It looks like that adapter can be removed from the carrier, and a regular 2.5" drive can be installed.

If you get 3 x 2.5" SSD's make sure they are all the same size, so you can have a 3 x RAID0 :)

Can you post the link to the JS you ordered?

dblkk
05-01-2014, 06:44 PM
dblkk, only the JZ/JH have the RAID0 card with the 2 NGFF M.2 drives - they aren't the same as mSATA - it is a different form factor.

Here are some postings with info:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39905-G750JH-DB71-Who-has-replaced-the-M.2-drives-with-larger-drives&p=336034&viewfull=1#post336034

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46498-G750-JZ-880m-hard-drive-question&highlight=ngff

Besides the JH/JZ with RAID0, for the most part all the G750's have 2 x 2.5" drives in the internal 2 bays, but recently someone reported getting a JS with 1 256GB M.2 NGFF drive mounted on an adapter card in the boot drive Bay. It looks like that adapter can be removed from the carrier, and a regular 2.5" drive can be installed.

If you get 3 x 2.5" SSD's make sure they are all the same size, so you can have a 3 x RAID0 :)

Can you post the link to the JS you ordered?

http://www.amazon.com/G750JS-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IEV85OU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398969569&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+g750
I ordered from amazon, upon reading the questions and answers sections, it does appear to be just a 256ssd. Which is very much a let down. That was one of the major plus's of getting this laptop was the 2xm.2ssd in raid. I already have ssd's out my butt. Was very much looking forward to replacing the, what I thought would be m.2 drives, with 2 crucial 550 512gb drives. Giving me 1tb of 1000mbps read write performance. Major let down. Good thing I ordered from amazon and not best buy, i'd probably return this for the msn g70 with 3xmsata raid card. A owner of the gt70 has been messaging me on another forum, running benchmarks and took a few videos to show fan noise and such. The fan noise is really not what people say it is, well unless you hit that turbo boost button. But his actually sounds quieter at idle than mine.

Would you happen to know if the DVD is connected to a sata 2 or 3? I'd like to get a hhd bay for it, but if its only sata 2 than scratch that idea. Wonder how much I can sell this 256gb ssd for? Probably next to nothing since technically its used and not a high quality one, nor will it work with my Samsung magician software, thus making my eve/pro sad's far faster. Probably going to replace ssd as soon as I get it (hopefully next hour or so).

Major let down though.

I just checked ebay, and for around $100 you can buy the m.2 x2 card used in the jz models. That's to rich for my blood, just to sacrifice a 2.5 bay, that's the price difference between a 512 and 1tb 2.5 ssd evo drive.

hmscott
05-01-2014, 10:35 PM
http://www.amazon.com/G750JS-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IEV85OU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398969569&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+g750
I ordered from amazon, upon reading the questions and answers sections, it does appear to be just a 256ssd. Which is very much a let down. That was one of the major plus's of getting this laptop was the 2xm.2ssd in raid. I already have ssd's out my butt. Was very much looking forward to replacing the, what I thought would be m.2 drives, with 2 crucial 550 512gb drives. Giving me 1tb of 1000mbps read write performance. Major let down. Good thing I ordered from amazon and not best buy, i'd probably return this for the msn g70 with 3xmsata raid card. A owner of the gt70 has been messaging me on another forum, running benchmarks and took a few videos to show fan noise and such. The fan noise is really not what people say it is, well unless you hit that turbo boost button. But his actually sounds quieter at idle than mine.

Would you happen to know if the DVD is connected to a sata 2 or 3? I'd like to get a hhd bay for it, but if its only sata 2 than scratch that idea. Wonder how much I can sell this 256gb ssd for? Probably next to nothing since technically its used and not a high quality one, nor will it work with my Samsung magician software, thus making my eve/pro sad's far faster. Probably going to replace ssd as soon as I get it (hopefully next hour or so).

Major let down though.

I just checked ebay, and for around $100 you can buy the m.2 x2 card used in the jz models. That's to rich for my blood, just to sacrifice a 2.5 bay, that's the price difference between a 512 and 1tb 2.5 ssd evo drive.

The low end JZ config has the 2 x 128GB and the high end JZ has the 2 x 256GB.

I would love to purchase 2 256GB M.2's to replace my 2 x 128GB M.2's, if anyone is listening :)

The GT70 at idle would be quiet, there is no heat :)

Gaming, running CUDA batch jobs, and general hmscott daily work made the fan sing in the MSI for me... but like the Macbooks I make glow red, most people don't actually use them so the under spec cooling to attain weight and thickness goals for looks work for them.

If you use it you will make it loud. And, if you use it, you will heat it up and need/want to use the Fan Boost button, then you better have a nice pair of over the ear headphones with mechanical noise canceling to cut out the fan noise.

But, ya gotta try it with your own usage to know for sure :)

Can you post the link for the M.2 x 2 card? I thought the one in my JH was a physical connection + cabling unique to the laptop - is it a pull from an otherwise broken JH?

You could also get a nice external Thunderbolt RAID going... I used the LaCie, but not on the G750... I would think it would work - might be worth a try.

dblkk
05-02-2014, 01:17 AM
WIsh I could find it again, went back on ebay to go buy it and nothing. Its an actual board (like the motherboard) that sits in the 2.5" bay, it then has 2 connectors for the m.2 connections.

I got my new js model today. Thing runs loud and hot. Ran some benchmarks on gpu and it gets 85c while 100%, and fan noise was noticeable while sitting in my chair. Ran those same tests on the jm series, temps 65c and fan noise was extremely minimal, almost had to put ear to vent to hear fans while 100% full load. Very very impressive.

Ill post all benchmarks I ran between the two tomarrow, ill start a new thread will all my results comparing the jm (860m) and the js (870m).

CPU seems to run hot in this one, after booting without running any programs at all, fans are noticeable and temps are 55-65c, 0 percent cpu, for 5-10 min before it calms down just a bit. My other one (jm) idles and boots at 42c.

hmscott
05-02-2014, 01:34 AM
WIsh I could find it again, went back on ebay to go buy it and nothing. Its an actual board (like the motherboard) that sits in the 2.5" bay, it then has 2 connectors for the m.2 connections.

I got my new js model today. Thing runs loud and hot. Ran some benchmarks on gpu and it gets 85c while 100%, and fan noise was noticeable while sitting in my chair. Ran those same tests on the jm series, temps 65c and fan noise was extremely minimal, almost had to put ear to vent to hear fans while 100% full load. Very very impressive.

Ill post all benchmarks I ran between the two tomarrow, ill start a new thread will all my results comparing the jm (860m) and the js (870m).

CPU seems to run hot in this one, after booting without running any programs at all, fans are noticeable and temps are 55-65c, 0 percent cpu, for 5-10 min before it calms down just a bit. My other one (jm) idles and boots at 42c.

If you tuned the JM, you need to put the same tunings on the JS before comparing. They both should have the same power plan, settings in power plan, Windows updates + driver updates, Nvidia driver + 3D settings, XTU tuning, Asus GPU Tweak tool tuning, etc, etc.

If you could clone the boot drive and put the same exact config on both machines that would be best, but try to sync them up somehow before comparing.

dblkk
05-02-2014, 05:41 AM
Windows versions are different between the two, but everything else is a match. I'm using the stock crap sandisk right now. I'll clone it to my brand new Samsung 840 pro 512gb that im picking up tom.

As for settings, theyre identical. Windows transfers almost all settings when I sign in. But those settings are also what I prefer and have spent quite a bit of time on. But power settings drivers and such are all the same. right now running 40% load while avg is doing a system scan, temps are 85-90's and fan noise is quite noticeable. Played a match or two on titan fall, and both sides were going full boar. Temps stick around 83c for gpu and 90-95 for cpu. I took some screen shots ill upload with benchmarks tomarrow. But settings are all the same, not sure why this one likes to run hot, but no throttling, fan noise almost makes me wish I would've just went msi. Like I said after booting laptop up, first 30 min or so is a quite noticeable fan noise, the jm was quite as crap unless you taxed it, this one just seems to like to be warm.

dblkk
05-02-2014, 02:37 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46817-Asus-G750-jm-compared-to-Asus-G750-JS&p=397939#post397939

Benchmarks and such between the JM and JS

Honestly JM is better laptop, gpu difference minimal, $400 more, and hotter and louder. But cant bring this one back, plus laptop quality is 100% again, unlike 3/4 of my JM models.

hmscott
05-02-2014, 03:44 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46817-Asus-G750-jm-compared-to-Asus-G750-JS&p=397939#post397939

Benchmarks and such between the JM and JS

Honestly JM is better laptop, gpu difference minimal, $400 more, and hotter and louder. But cant bring this one back, plus laptop quality is 100% again, unlike 3/4 of my JM models.

Glad to hear the JS is a quality keeper :)