PDA

View Full Version : Formatting SSD and re installing windows 8

jeezy85
04-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Hi

im having trouble reinstalling windows 8. i just brought the asus g750jx. i have installed a 256gb hdd from my old laptop into this one. i created a asus backtracker usb. the Problem i have is my SSD needs to be formatted. everytime i boot up the laptop and press F9 then click erase everything it says failed as the partition is missing. I have a 256gb SSD but at the moment it is only showing 100GB.

how can i get this formatted? will appreciate the help.

thanks

P.S i do not have windows 8 cd only the one that has come with the laptop

pokerface
04-30-2014, 01:05 PM
you don't need to press F9 to restore back the partition on the SSD, simply reboot while holding ESC, then when you get the boot options, boot off the USB stick in UEFI mode, then it will restore back the recovery partition on your new SSD

EnderDragoon
04-30-2014, 04:13 PM
I just purchased a G750JM yesterday and I have a fresh 120gb SSD installed and badly need to move windows over to the ssd (unreal how bad the performance is on this 5400 hdd). Trouble is nothing I press durring boot up give me anything other than w8 booting. I have tried holding or spam pressing esc/f1/f2/f10/del/x and facerolling the entire keyboard on startup and I get nothing but a slow loading windows 8. What am I doing wrong here? The Asus "boot setting" utility to reboot to bios is incompatible as well. And yes I am shutting the computer all the way down before starting and spamming the keyboard. I see the ROG eye logo on startup but it says nothing about how to get to the bios. How do I move W8 over to the ssd and how do I get to BIOS?

HomieOC
04-30-2014, 05:42 PM
is it that bad with a 5400 rpm? thank god i opted for 7200 rpm, because that was my concern too

pokerface
04-30-2014, 08:46 PM
it's a nightmare on any HDD!

SSDs are a must these days with today's demanding apps/OSes