PDA

View Full Version : G750JS wireless problems

Kinesia
05-01-2014, 05:15 AM
On my G750JS everytime my bit torrent download speed gets to about 400 kB/S my wireless card disables itself completely. I need to repair the connection to get it working again, just reenabling it from the control panel doesn't work.
This only happens if I'm using bittorrent, other network traffic, including higher speeds works fine. I reduced the number of connections bittorrent was allowed to use but it didn't help.

Any ideas?

I've updated the Atheros drivers already.

hmscott
05-01-2014, 06:59 AM
On my G750JS everytime my bit torrent download speed gets to about 400 kB/S my wireless card disables itself completely. I need to repair the connection to get it working again, just reenabling it from the control panel doesn't work.
This only happens if I'm using bittorrent, other network traffic, including higher speeds works fine. I reduced the number of connections bittorrent was allowed to use but it didn't help.

Any ideas?

I've updated the Atheros drivers already.

First, try running the same traffic on a wired connection to your router. If the problem stops, then it is the wireless connection, if the problem continues then it is your router / ISP.

Have you tuned Windows TCP settings?

TCP Optimizer, use it to tune both / All interfaces ethernet and wireless, for your download speed.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45433-TCP-Optimizer-Reduce-lag-Increase-throughput

Kinesia
05-01-2014, 07:15 AM
I'm stuck on the couch with a broken foot, so I can only use the laptop and wireless currently. But before now I've done torrents at the limit of my connection on 2 other PCs without them dying. So I don't think it's the ISP.

I hadn't tuned TCP, I've done that now.

hmscott
05-01-2014, 07:46 AM
I'm stuck on the couch with a broken foot, so I can only use the laptop and wireless currently. But before now I've done torrents at the limit of my connection on 2 other PCs without them dying. So I don't think it's the ISP.

I hadn't tuned TCP, I've done that now.

Kinesia, sorry to hear about the foot...

I was thinking more of the router being the issue. Many routers aren't up to the task of building lots of connections, you can help it along by turning off all the extra processing it is doing, like firewall + QoS + fragmentation of the upload packets.

If your other PC"s are ok, then it is the wireless connection, so start debugging by looking at the status of the connection. What is the speed of the connection, strength, etc. It could also be the specific torrent app configuration on your G750JX...

Are you using a different torrent app? Have you tuned it to reduce upload vs download - making sure there is enough upload for acks on downloads?

You may have to reduce the number of connections to the point wireless stays connected.

I have used a JX wireless and had full 60mbps downloads without losing connections to a Dlink DIR-655, a NetGear WNDR3700, Asus RT-AC66 and RT-AC68, so it isn't a problem with the wireless card - unless yours is faulty.

What make/model of router are you using?

Kinesia
05-01-2014, 07:58 AM
I have a Netgear D6200 as the router, but I'm using the wireless from a time machine (the routers wireless doesnt reach this far).
If I'm copying files over the network I get about 10 Meg and it doesn't drop out, with torrents I can get up to 700 k but it drops out occasionally at anything over 400 k.
I'm using uTorrent and have limited upload a lot and now I've reduced connections down to 100, but it still happens.

hmscott
05-01-2014, 08:18 AM
I have a Netgear D6200 as the router, but I'm using the wireless from a time machine (the routers wireless doesnt reach this far).
If I'm copying files over the network I get about 10 Meg and it doesn't drop out, with torrents I can get up to 700 k but it drops out occasionally at anything over 400 k.
I'm using uTorrent and have limited upload a lot and now I've reduced connections down to 100, but it still happens.

If you right click on the wireless adapter, what is the connection status?

Were the other PC's going through the Time Machine, or directly to the router, the Time Machine might be the weak link...when you get a chance you might try connecting through the main router wireless and see if things improve.

Kinesia
05-02-2014, 01:20 AM
It's the same as yours except my speed is a lot lower.
I'll have to test the Time Machine later. When I'm back in the other part of the house it's less an issue because as well as the main router wifi I could also just run ethernet, but I don't have the option in the loungeroom.

It hasn't died since I tweaked things, but I haven't hammered torrents as much yet. I'll let you know.