PDA

View Full Version : how to get 4 hours of battery life

HomieOC
05-01-2014, 03:45 PM
I decided to see how muich time id get.. I disabled my 880M and enabled the intel GPU, and unplugged it.. i got 1hour and 30 mins of time with the battery.

I thought you could get 4 hours? I didn't play any games, just web browsing. Does first battery charge cycle not last long? It's like that with Iphone batteries, and i just drained the laptop battery to 0 and i'm recharging it now

Thanks

Prostar Computer
05-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Calibration might help, but the best way to extend life on each cycle is to use battery saver power schemes. You're looking at reducing the screen backlight intensity, turning off the keyboard backlight, perhaps disabling Bluetooth, etc. Even then 4 hours might be a stretch (which is why battery life is usually - if not always - advertised as "up to x hours!").

HomieOC
05-01-2014, 06:11 PM
how do i disable back light?

hmscott
05-01-2014, 11:18 PM
I decided to see how muich time id get.. I disabled my 880M and enabled the intel GPU, and unplugged it.. i got 1hour and 30 mins of time with the battery.

I thought you could get 4 hours? I didn't play any games, just web browsing. Does first battery charge cycle not last long? It's like that with Iphone batteries, and i just drained the laptop battery to 0 and i'm recharging it now

Thanks

HomieOC, there must be more tuning you can do, I get 2.5-3 hours on my JH with a GTX780m... Optimus is supposed to extend that time.

Did you set the power plan to Power Saver, and set the Global GPU settings to power saving options - besides forcing use of the Intel GPU?

Turning down the backlight should be enough. I have my AUO set to 50% on battery, and 75% on AC.

Make sure you don't have any USB devices plugged in that could be sapping power. Turn off Wireless and / or Bluetooth if not being used _ Airport mode works.

How are you using the laptop during the 1.5 hours? I use it for reading books / pdf's, listening to music, and browsing the internet on ethernet or wireless. When I used it for watching a Blu-ray I got 2 hours.

Keep tuning :)