PDA

View Full Version : Corsair Force CSSD-F115GB2 not working on the G53SW-XN1

severus
10-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Hey guys,

I recently purchased my G53SW from newegg and it came in last week. Everything works fine and I am really happy with it.
However, I bought a Corsair Force CSSD-F115GB2 from newegg and its causing me a lot of issues. The SSD is not recognized by the BIOS. Sometimes, it gets recognized and I installed windows on it during one such instance. Now when windows boots off it, everything is fine. But for it to boot up, I always have to go to BIOS and load optimized boot defaults because it dissappears from the bios menu everytime I shut down for some reason. I tried putting it on both the SATA slots but the problem persists. I also installed the latest BIOS version from the ASUS website but to no avail.

Is this the SSD's fault or something wrong with my laptop software? I am thinking of RMAing the SSD and getting a new one but dont want to do that unless absolutely necessary.
Any help regarding this would be appreciated! Thanks!

JRd1st
10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Did you see if there's a firmware update for the ssd?

severus
10-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Did you see if there's a firmware update for the ssd?

Yeah and I tried updating it but it didnt work. I think this is because my SSD came with the 2.1a version of firmware and the latest one on the corsair website is 2.03 or something. So Im thinking it failed because apparently I am not allowed to downgrade the firmware.

JRd1st
10-06-2011, 02:18 PM
lol, well THAT's good.

I don't know what to tell you. A lot of users, here, have problems with SSD's. I don't know if it's settings, model of ssd, or what. Do a search and see what has helped others, I guess, until someone in the know about these things chimes in.

BTW, reading this forum is the reason I'm not jumping in to buying an SSD right away. ;)

Good luck, dude!

severus
10-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Lol hmm so I have not had time to read all of the threads as yet. Are there known issues with the G53SW and SSDs? I know that there was an issue with the M4 so I bought this one. Anyways thanks man...in the meantime Ill try to find a solution and hope that someone more knowledgeable than I can help :)

JRd1st
10-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Not the G53SW especially, just in general for some people.

severus
10-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Does anyone know of any SSD companies that are know to work with the G53 or similar laptop? Im planning on just RMAing the corsair and buy a new one but dont want to go through all this trouble again.

JRd1st
10-06-2011, 02:47 PM
The Intel ssd's are by all reports truly PNP, and are the most dependable.

The 320 series (SATA2) are cheaper and have a 5 yr limited warranty
The 510 series (SATA3) have a 3 yr warranty but are more expensive.

Something for everyone . . . lol

severus
10-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Didnt the 320 series have the 8.4mb issue? I was looking to buy those because the 510 is out of my budget but this issue stopped me. Has it been fixed?

JRd1st
10-06-2011, 03:01 PM
There's a firmware update for it - http://www.techspot.com/news/44694-intel-confirms-8mb-bug-in-320-series-ssds-fix-available.html

ES Designs
10-06-2011, 08:13 PM
I have Windows 7 running on my 128gb Crucial M4 SSD with no problems on my G53SW-XN1 that I got from Newegg. I bought the Crucial M4 that comes with the USB transfer kit to clone the existing HDD. It worked well, this is my first experience with SSD. I still have to edit the registry so that my user profiles and such will be directed to my spinning drive. Everything is running stable and quick, but it's only been a few days. If you're interested in upgrading RAM I picked up 8gb G.Skill from newegg and it installed perfectly, 6gb to 14gb with no problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

severus
10-07-2011, 03:35 AM
I have Windows 7 running on my 128gb Crucial M4 SSD with no problems on my G53SW-XN1 that I got from Newegg. I bought the Crucial M4 that comes with the USB transfer kit to clone the existing HDD. It worked well, this is my first experience with SSD. I still have to edit the registry so that my user profiles and such will be directed to my spinning drive. Everything is running stable and quick, but it's only been a few days. If you're interested in upgrading RAM I picked up 8gb G.Skill from newegg and it installed perfectly, 6gb to 14gb with no problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

Oh thats cool...I ordered an intel 320 series 120 GB drive already lol..its SATA II but I dont think I will notice too much of a difference. I also ordered a 4 gb Gskill DDR3 ram from newegg a couple of days back and both the SSD and the ram should be coming in tomorrow. So ill go up to 10 GB. I was wondering, most reviews talk about replacing the 2gb with another 4 gb. Would that be better than having 10 gb ram? The slot right beneath my keyboard is empty so I was just planning to install the new 4 gb in it. Thanks!