PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for ASUS about Optimus Switching

pokerface
05-02-2014, 01:48 PM
I recently switched from an ASUS G750JX to an Alienware 18 laptop

Now I notice on the forums many people complaining about the new G750 laptops that have optimus where they are facing trouble that some games or programs are not using the GeForce chipset but using the Intel Graphics chipset even though this is a high end gaming laptop. settings the global setting to use the nVIDIA chipset may or may not work properly.

I noticed with Alienware they do things a bit differently.

On my laptop I also have Dual GeForce GTX770M GPUS + Intel HD Graphics 4600 but the way to switch between them is not in Windows, I have to press FN+F5 on my keyboard, then the laptop will reboot and activate the nVIDIA GPUs and it will stay like this until I press FN + F5 again.

This way, I never have to worry or doubt if a game is using the nVIDIA or Intel GPU because the BIOS has deactivated the Intel GPU and activated the nVIDIA GPUs

Maybe if ASUS can do something similar as in a switch that will activate the nVIDIA GPU from BIOS ignoring the Intel GPU completely others would have less or no complaints about this issue.

just a suggestion.

MrRuckus
05-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Never had the problem. Been through about 5 generations of ROG laptops. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

pokerface
05-03-2014, 04:08 PM
oh I didn't have trouble, the G750JX doesn't have Optimus than god for that. I just saw this thread on the forums: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46508-G750JZ-w-Nvidia-880M-want-to-disable-Optimus-and-run-only-880M-card-not-Intel&country=&status=

HomieOC
05-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Do you like alienware more? just curious lol Honestly, i like optimus im running on integrated right now.. all you have to do is go to nvidia profile and change it to nvidia and high performance.. and it disables intels gpu

pokerface
05-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Do you like alienware more? just curious lol Honestly, i like optimus im running on integrated right now.. all you have to do is go to nvidia profile and change it to nvidia and high performance.. and it disables intels gpu

Never had an Alienware before because of its high price. I had 3 ASUS Gaming laptops, G73Sw, G75VW, and G750JX

After being frustrated with ASUS's bad driver support, and lack of official drivers for Windows 7, I sold my G750JX and got this Alienware.

Now I know why they cost an arm and a leg

1) much better build quality, it's like you bought a Mercedes as opposed to a Nissan Skyline

2) Warranty is much better, if the laptop spoils, they will come to your house and fix it at your home the next business day. When my G750JX stopped booting within 6 months of owning it, I had to drive to the service center which is very far, and it took them 7 days to replace the motherboard

3) I wanted a bigger screen and ASUS only have 17.3' screens. This 18.4' screen is a dream to play and surf on

4) I didn't ask for it, but I got a freebie dual GeForce GTX 770M so my performance has never been better

5) I love the lighting effects of Alienware

6) Their audio and KLIPSCH speakers blow the ASUS G750JX out of the water in terms of loudness and quality although both use a Realtek Chipset, but the speakrs are better and the Alienware comes with the Dolby Home Theater which improves the audio quality by a great mile

7) most importantly, I wnated to upgrade my G750JX to the G750JZ, I called ASUS, they told me to go to the mall or to the GITEX exhibition for computers in Dubai. I went to both, and both didn't have it, they only had the G750JX from last year for the same price as the G750JZ now!!!! what a rip off. I was given wrong information, and didn't like the fact that ASUS was selling last year stock at the same price at the current laptops price that they released. So I bit the bullet, paid 3000 USD instead of 2200 USD to get this Alienware, it was an 800USD difference, it hurt my pocket so much, but it was worth it.

HomieOC
05-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Yeah, i will agree on the driver support part, but i like the quality of asus. Also, i think warranty with asus is good. I got 1 year warranty, and 1 year accidental warranty, and on top of that i got a dead pixel thing too