PDA

View Full Version : SSD Boot Drive and Photoshop Scratch Disc?

ES Designs
10-06-2011, 04:19 PM
I have a 128gb SSD boot drive an 500gb spinning drive for data. I plan on installing Adobe CS5 on the SSD, but should I have the scratch disc for photoshop assigned to the spinning drive or SSD? Pros and cons of each? Is there a clear winner? Thanks for any help.

JRd1st
10-06-2011, 04:43 PM
I would put it on the ssd until you need the space for something else. It shoulp make things really snappy. If you make a backup image, exclude that file from the backup.

If you put it on the HDD it'll probably cause fragmention.

With so much RAM, I don't understand why they need a scratch file.

I totally forgot about the CS5 scratch disc. I need to see where it wound up on my G74SX. Lol

ES Designs
10-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I have 14gb ram on my system, I feel like PS should be able to function just fine on that alone. Will having the scratch disc on the SSD potentially shorten it's life since it will have a lot of read/write activity? That was my only real concern, from a performance stand point the SSD makes much more sense, although Adobe recommends that the scratch disc not be on the same drive that PS is installed on.

JRd1st
10-06-2011, 05:14 PM
I don't know... the life expectancy on the Intel series 320 is 1.2 million hrs mtbf. That's 136 years of on time. I don't know the stats for your ssd, but unless I'm missing something I don't think you have to worry.

ES Designs
10-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I don't know... the life expectancy on the Intel series 320 is 1.2 million hrs mtbf. That's 136 years of on time. I don't know the stats for your ssd, but unless I'm missing something I don't think you have to worry.

Crucial has their M4 rated at the same, 1.2 million hrs mtbf. So I guess there should be no need to worry about longevity then.

ES Designs
10-10-2011, 04:52 PM

When I assign the scratch disk to my C: SSD boot drive I get this error message when trying to open Photoshop. If I change the scratch disk to my D: spinning storage drive PS opens fine. Any ideas why?:confused:

dstrakele
10-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Go into Windows Explorer, right-click on C: and choose "Properties". Select the "Security" tab and view the permissions. Do the same for D:. Are they identical?

If you right-click on the Photoshop icon and choose "Run as Administrator", can you create the scratch disk on your SSD?

ES Designs
10-10-2011, 08:29 PM
The permissions are the same for both C: and D: when I run Photoshop as Administrator it opens with the scratch disk assigned to C:

Is there a way to always run Photoshop as administrator to avoid right-clicking each time?

JRd1st
10-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Right click the icon, go into properties, compatibility, Run this program as an Administrator

irdmoose
10-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Instead of always running it as administrator (highly risky for any Adobe product), you might be able to tell it where to put the scratch file. If you can, create a folder in the root of C: like C:\PSScratch or something like that. It will then be able to run without requiring administrative rights. Again, this is assuming you can do that in PS, but that also assumes Adobe is good at writing programs (I'm looking at you, Flash).