PDA

View Full Version : qualcomm atheros ar8171/8175 pci-e gigabit ethernet controller just went invisible?

cyberdome
05-04-2014, 12:25 AM
I have a NIC ethernet version qualcomm atheros ar8171/8175 pci-e gigabit ethernet controller. The gigabit ehternet is not seen under device manager or does not show any internet connection. completely it has gone away from window 8.1 64bit. I did check the box under device manager that says SHOW hidden devices. And there was a entry for atheros ethernet NIC but it showed as NOT connected. "device is not connected please, connect device? This is a internet NIC and attached to the laptop mobo. How can it be disconnected. I have not made any changes , nothing. still weird issue, what can i do to fix this. I am very upseset with the ASUS g750 series. always creating problems for me. I went into BIOS to check for errors. nothing. I restarted laptop. I checked scan for hardware in device manager. nowehere i can find my NIC.

any help is greatly appreciated.

hmscott
05-04-2014, 12:38 AM
I have a NIC ethernet version qualcomm atheros ar8171/8175 pci-e gigabit ethernet controller. The gigabit ehternet is not seen under device manager or does not show any internet connection. completely it has gone away from window 8.1 64bit. I did check the box under device manager that says SHOW hidden devices. And there was a entry for atheros ethernet NIC but it showed as NOT connected. "device is not connected please, connect device? This is a internet NIC and attached to the laptop mobo. How can it be disconnected. I have not made any changes , nothing. still weird issue, what can i do to fix this. I am very upseset with the ASUS g750 series. always creating problems for me. I went into BIOS to check for errors. nothing. I restarted laptop. I checked scan for hardware in device manager. nowehere i can find my NIC.

any help is greatly appreciated.

When you go into the network adapter control panel do you have an icon for the ethernet adapter?

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

Have you ever used the ethernet adapter? How / why did you discover it missing now? Were you changing anything that might affect the network adapters?

To fix, power off, attach an ethernet cable to the laptop ethernet port and make sure ethernet is plugged in and connected on the other end to an active ethernet switch port.

Power on and boot, if ethernet still doesn't show up as an active device in the device manager, then uninstall the hidden device, right click on the top most Device Manager computer icon, and select "scan for hardware changes" and it should reinstall an active icon for the ethernet.

Now go back into the network adapter control panel, you should see the ethernet adapter icon.

If you were using ethernet and it disappeared without you doing anything involving the network, then there may be system corruption in the Windows configuration. Have you had any Windows crashes, or have you been powering off instead of cleanly shutting down? If you have been doing that, stop doing it :)

cyberdome
05-04-2014, 02:10 AM
I was using this ethernet adapter. When I go into the network adapter control panel . I do not see the ethernet adapter icon anymore. Yes, I am using this adapter always. I took it to class this morning and came back booted the laptop back up. and discovered my network adapter is missing. I go to settings and shutdown computer. that is always how i shut down my laptop. I never do a hard shutdown by hitting power button. I have done the "scan for hardware changes".

"If you were using ethernet and it disappeared without you doing anything involving the network, then there may be system corruption in the Windows configuration. Have you had any Windows crashes, or have you been powering off instead of cleanly shutting down? If you have been doing that, stop doing it "

I was using the ethernet adapter and it disappeared on me without me doing anything. I don't know really what happened?

hmscott
05-04-2014, 02:34 AM
I was using this ethernet adapter. When I go into the network adapter control panel . I do not see the ethernet adapter icon anymore. Yes, I am using this adapter always. I took it to class this morning and came back booted the laptop back up. and discovered my network adapter is missing. I go to settings and shutdown computer. that is always how i shut down my laptop. I never do a hard shutdown by hitting power button. I have done the "scan for hardware changes".

"If you were using ethernet and it disappeared without you doing anything involving the network, then there may be system corruption in the Windows configuration. Have you had any Windows crashes, or have you been powering off instead of cleanly shutting down? If you have been doing that, stop doing it "

I was using the ethernet adapter and it disappeared on me without me doing anything. I don't know really what happened?

It sounds like the ethernet hardware might have failed, but that is pretty odd. I would pursue a software solution as far as you can before giving up.

Did you try uninstalling the hidden ethernet adapter, and then scan for hardware changes so it can be reinstalled?

Asus is going to ask you to try a recovery restore, basically putting it back to the configuration it was in when you pulled it out of the box, so you could try that too. Don't forget to back up all your stuff first.

If that doesn't work, then report the problem to Asus as a Technical Inquiry and ask for help fixing it - it sounds like it is going to require a physical repair / RMA to Asus.

http://vip.asus.com

How long have you had the laptop? If it is in the return period of the seller you can get a replacement quicker that way by taking it back to the store.

cyberdome
05-04-2014, 04:40 AM
okay, so for those people who have trouble with this. Here is what I did.

I unstalled the hidden ethernet adapter in device manager. I ran the ehternet adapter installer software to install the drivers. then ,
I shutdown the laptop completely, took the battery out unplug cat 5 cable and waited 5 minutes. put the battery back in . plug back in the cat 5 cable. start the laptop back up. while the laptop was starting. it starting doing windows updates at the time of boot up.

And now my ethernet adapter is visible again. I really don't know what happened. I cannot tell what was the cause of the issue. But in all my troubleshooting steps, the only different thing i did before it was fixed , i unplug the battery. and windows did the updates.

hope this helps anyone else with this issue. but frankly, something like this should not have happened.

hmscott
05-04-2014, 05:24 AM
okay, so for those people who have trouble with this. Here is what I did.

I unstalled the hidden ethernet adapter in device manager. I ran the ehternet adapter installer software to install the drivers. then ,
I shutdown the laptop completely, took the battery out unplug cat 5 cable and waited 5 minutes. put the battery back in . plug back in the cat 5 cable. start the laptop back up. while the laptop was starting. it starting doing windows updates at the time of boot up.

And now my ethernet adapter is visible again. I really don't know what happened. I cannot tell what was the cause of the issue. But in all my troubleshooting steps, the only different thing i did before it was fixed , i unplug the battery. and windows did the updates.

hope this helps anyone else with this issue. but frankly, something like this should not have happened.

That's great cyberdome :)

xClearest
05-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for this. I had this happen to me today out of the blue. I was going start a new thread but used the search function and found this and it solved it! So thank you!

DragonOmnus
11-26-2017, 07:17 PM
3.5 year old thread, but I must reply for several reasons. 1st, I'm tired of Asus being blamed for things which aren't their fault. 2nd, there was probably a MUCH easier solution to this. 3rd, Why create a new thread to post an answer to an existing thread which other people look up? I hate it when people hate threads being necro'd because those idiots force related info to be spread across multiple threads instead of 1, thereby making it a bigger pain to find the info you need.

Next time try rebooting. No, not shut down & power on, actually Restart through the Windows Start menu. Windows 8 & newer don't actually shut down when you tell them to shut down. They hibernate the kernel instead now, which is part of how it boots up faster but it also causes many problems like this. I fixed this exact problem for other people before by simply restarting Windows, along with MANY other problems which were very rare with Windows XP or 7, but are now very common with Windows 8/8.1/10. Faster boot, MANY more problems. Yay Microsoft & idiots incorrectly blaming Asus.

No, restarting isn't a guaranteed solution for all problems, but it was always a common fix for Windows problems & is even more useful since Win8.