PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Screen auto-dims automatically on ASUS G750JW

Jeracan
05-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Greetings!

I've notice my screen auto-dims pretty much all the time when I switch from black/ white screens, and you can really notice something is happening. I've tried several settins, like turn OFF the adaptive screen (its off) and been experimenting with Nvidia settins, booted up and tried pretty much everything that atleast makes sense.

But now I have no more options or no clue how to turn this adaptive-brighness auto dim thingy OFF...

Anyone ? kinda desperate how to figure this out. Not sure what to do from here :(

Model : ASUS G750JW

pokerface
05-04-2014, 04:55 PM
happened to me all the time on Windows 7 but not on 8 or 8.1

ensure you have the latest drivers for your nVIDIA GPU from ASUS not the buggy nVIDIA ons, and also ensure you have the ATK package and Power4Gear Hybrid installed

Jeracan
05-04-2014, 04:59 PM
I'm on W8 and have the latest Power4Gear, but a little old version of ATK Package due to keyboard lights was bugged with the new version.

And newest drivers from Nvidia installed.

pokerface
05-04-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm on W8 and have the latest Power4Gear, but a little old version of ATK Package due to keyboard lights was bugged with the new version.

And newest drivers from Nvidia installed.

that's your issue

1) you are using old ATK

2) you are using crappy nVIDIA Drivers that are not optimized for our laptops, this is the latest version you should use:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin8.1/VGA/VGA_nVidia_Win81_64_VER918133285.zip

MrRuckus
05-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Pokerface, you should really go visit the Alienware forums since you no longer own a ROG laptop and stop spreading misinformation. The Nvidia drivers work flawless on these laptops. The only time this would not be the case is if your laptop is running some kind of non standard SLI setup (such as your Alienware).

I have been running the updated display drivers from the Nvidia website from day one with no issues. I do not use Geforce Experience, but the drivers from the website work with no trouble as long as you are selecting the correct "M" series.

ATK drivers shouldn't auto dim your display. This almost sounds like power management. Is this happening on battery or on AC power?
You can check your Power management settings in control panel:

pokerface
05-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Pokerface, you should really go visit the Alienware forums since you no longer own a ROG laptop and stop spreading misinformation. The Nvidia drivers work flawless on these laptops. The only time this would not be the case is if your laptop is running some kind of non standard SLI setup (such as your Alienware).

I have been running the updated display drivers from the Nvidia website from day one with no issues. I do not use Geforce Experience, but the drivers from the website work with no trouble as long as you are selecting the correct "M" series.

ATK drivers shouldn't auto dim your display. This almost sounds like power management. Is this happening on battery or on AC power?
You can check your Power management settings in control panel:

I just sold my G750JX and I've owned more ASUS laptops than you can ever afford. I know them inside out.

ASUS drivers have specific optimizations for our GPUs, ESPECIALLY if you have a 3D screen, only until recently the nVIDIA Drivers work but who knows what you may be missing on in terms of functionality. Previously, if you had a 3D screen, the moment you install the nVIDIA drivers and reboot your laptop is FUBAR

cl-Albert
05-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Pokerface and MrRuckus.

You may have seen this thread already, but sounds like the issue may be related to this one: Auto contrast is driving me nuts!! (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43315-Auto-contrast-is-driving-me-nuts!!&highlight=g750+screen)

The only solution I saw was to go back to the vga driver posted on the ASUS download site for your model, but if MrRuckus (and any others?) are not seeing the problem with updated vga drivers, I'm hoping we can find another way to solve it.

Assuming it's software-related, maybe we want to check if everyone has been using the ASUS factory Windows installation or what they have changed from it as well as the Windows version?

We may want to compare any special or non-default settings, or anything else you think can be related to this issue?

Sorry, just throwing some ideas out there.

Thestroj
05-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

At first i didnt have any problems with auto contrast.
Then i updated everything on the laptop. From drivers, to programs, ext..
Then i started to have auto contrast problems.
I noticed when i was trying to change the brigthess of the screen, the laptop changed it back, like if laptop had 2 brightness levels and changing beetwen them randomly, then i noticed that if i held the key (fn +F6) long enough, the "second" level would be the same than the "first" one, so there was no auto contrast problems and changing betwen them, i noticed this by looking at the UI on the screen when u change screen brightness.

So when i changed it to max, after 3 seconds . it changed back to other value, and kept doing so. With holding the key for increasing screen brightness for some time, the second level has changed to max, and the was so changing betwen them and there was no auto screen brigtness changing problems.... weird, a?

To duplicate this if u have auto contrast problems: hold screen brightness + key (fn + F6), put it to max brightness, and the release. When the screen brightness level changes automaticly ("screen just went to the second level of brightness"), press the fn + F6 key again and hold it for some time, until u see the second level change t max also. IT might take couple of trys to do it. But i managed to do it. I know this is strange but it worked for me 100%.

After some time i got tired of this, and made a fresh WIN 8 install through ASUS Backtrack. I didnt upgradte the ATK drivers and deleted all of the asus bloatware (splendid, Power4Gear, ext....)
Basicly i didnt upgrade any drivers by my self this time, only the ones that win 8 updated by it self throught win update. (Updated mysečf only: Nvida GPU dirivers (latest beta), Elan tauchpad drivers)...

Right now after new install of win 8 i dont have any auto contrast problems, and im realy happy about it.

IMO the problem lies in ATK package. But im no expert, its only my gut telling me this.
Its a software problems for sure, and i think it has something to do with Keyboard Device Filter Utility + ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities + Power4Gear Hybrid Utility + GPU nvidia drivers... The problem lies somewhere in those lines... I think...

Just my 2 cents....

Hope this helps someone
Take care

MrRuckus
05-05-2014, 10:28 PM
I just sold my G750JX and I've owned more ASUS laptops than you can ever afford.

Haha, thats a pretty ignorant statement. I didn't know you could tell my financial status from an online forum post. Please believe me when I tell you, you are incorrect. Been on the ROG bandwagon since the G50. G51, G54, G74, G750. But bickering on an online forum is really pointless. I just come here to help if I can in my spare time, not start fights. Most of your previous posts you just seem to bash Asus because your JX didn't live up to your expectations. Why not just enjoy your Alienware and leave it at that?

Back on topic, I didn't notice any contrast issues before, but I ended up wiping the SSD and going with Windows 8.1 Pro. I was having an issue where I could not resize a portion of the SSD RAID, so I wiped and started from scratch. I was then able to resize the partition the way I wanted. So I am currently on a base OS install and not an Asus install. All drivers are from Asus and up to date, with the only exception being my display drivers which are directly from Nvidia's site.

gazzacbr
05-06-2014, 02:34 AM
...Previously, if you had a 3D screen, the moment you install the nVIDIA drivers and reboot your laptop is FUBAR...

Sorry pokerface, but that really is complete rubbish. I have a 3D screen and windows 7 and 8.1 with several vesions of Nvidia drivers direct from their website and have never had any problems.

Having said that, mine are always clean installs.
(the original windows lasted 1 day before it screwed completely)
Which seems to be the recurring theme.
as Thestroj, and many others say, "after new install of win 8 i dont have any auto contrast problems"
and i would agree that some combination of Asus power saving and other general bloat is probably the culprit.

GottiBoi55
05-06-2014, 02:44 AM
Greetings!

I've notice my screen auto-dims pretty much all the time when I switch from black/ white screens, and you can really notice something is happening. I've tried several settins, like turn OFF the adaptive screen (its off) and been experimenting with Nvidia settins, booted up and tried pretty much everything that atleast makes sense.

But now I have no more options or no clue how to turn this adaptive-brighness auto dim thingy OFF...

Anyone ? kinda desperate how to figure this out. Not sure what to do from here :(

Model : ASUS G750JW

Check out this post (link below), will help you with your issue.

You need to change "Enable adaptive brightness" (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46455-monitor-brightness&p=395924#post395924)

PatRaven
05-06-2014, 04:57 PM
The only thing that works for sure is going back to the 311.93 NVidia drivers. This applies to those who have the problem and:

Have a factory installed Windows 8.0
Or
Have upgraded the factory installed Windows 8.0 to 8.1
Or
Have made a factory restore back to Windows 8.0 (using the image provided with the G750)

On a G750 with this problem the Adaptive brightness settings found e.g. under energy settings have NO functionality what soever when the AC adaptor is unplugged.

I have not tested on a clean Windows 8 installation as I prefer using the license that came with my G750. Besides, some say that also after a clean installation the problem persists.

That said; it does not necessarily mean that there’s something wrong with the newer NVidia drivers. It could be a conflict caused by other software. Yes, I do believe it’s a software issue since it’s somehow possible to get rid of problem as soon as you install the 311.93 NVidia drivers.

No, I do not think that it is a valid solution as this driver is pretty old now, but currently no one else have solved the problem using newer drivers. I could for sure give some cash to the first person who succeeds :cool:

Br,
Pat

kidfromhell
05-06-2014, 10:21 PM
I could for sure give some cash to the first person who succeeds :cool:

Grrrr, you haven't told me that before! ;) :D

So it looks like the issue is back!!

Jeracan
05-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Thanks all for the good replys and nice feedback with this issue.

I will ofcourse try some of these suggestions mentioned here and probably just try to reinstall W8.0 if it gets on
my nerves. :) - it probably will eventually but aslong it works perfectly with my gaming and stuff like that I'll try
to leave it for now and just try to enjoy the amazing machine for now :)

PatRaven
05-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Grrrr, you haven't told me that before! ;) :D

So it looks like the issue is back!!

Fix it and you´ll get some! :D

zetdotcom
05-07-2014, 03:37 PM
I have it the same problem on my JH. After playing with power4gear program, set off adaptive brightness etc. I decide to uninstall this program. I restart the laptop , set it to balanced mode and the problem dissapear and all works fine.

Hope will help u too. Sorry for bad english.

KoolASUS
05-07-2014, 03:53 PM
The only thing that works for sure is going back to the 311.93 NVidia drivers. This applies to those who have the problem and:

Have a factory installed Windows 8.0
Or
Have upgraded the factory installed Windows 8.0 to 8.1
Or
Have made a factory restore back to Windows 8.0 (using the image provided with the G750)

On a G750 with this problem the Adaptive brightness settings found e.g. under energy settings have NO functionality what soever when the AC adaptor is unplugged.

I have not tested on a clean Windows 8 installation as I prefer using the license that came with my G750. Besides, some say that also after a clean installation the problem persists.

That said; it does not necessarily mean that there’s something wrong with the newer NVidia drivers. It could be a conflict caused by other software. Yes, I do believe it’s a software issue since it’s somehow possible to get rid of problem as soon as you install the 311.93 NVidia drivers.

No, I do not think that it is a valid solution as this driver is pretty old now, but currently no one else have solved the problem using newer drivers. I could for sure give some cash to the first person who succeeds :cool:

Br,
Pat

can't you take the Nvidia driver version 332.XX for the new G750 at the Asus site ? (JS for example) , do these drivers not count as "official Asus drivers" ???

Personally, I have a JH, and I am sticking with 311.83. Power4gear uninstalled. Win 8.0

PatRaven
05-07-2014, 04:13 PM
can't you take the Nvidia driver version 322.XX for the new G750 at the Asus site ? (JS for example) , do these drivers not count as "official Asus drivers" ???

Personally, I have a JH, and I am sticking with 311.83. Power4gear uninstalled.

The only ASUS "certified" driver that work (turns off the dimming) is the 311.93 version. FYI I think I have tried all drivers from 311.93 up to the latest 337.50.

KoolASUS
05-07-2014, 04:19 PM
no, I mean the drivers you can download at the Asus site (like here : for JH, Win8.0 : http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JH&p=3&s=521&os=36&hashedid=n/a )
If you choose JS and Win8.1, there is a 332 version available (for 870M or so).

PatRaven
05-07-2014, 04:42 PM
no, I mean the drivers you can download at the Asus site (like here : for JH, Win8.0 : http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JH&p=3&s=521&os=36&hashedid=n/a )
If you choose JS and Win8.1, there is a 332 version available (for 870M or so).

Yes, I have tried that. Does not work! Direct link to JS is btw; http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JS&p=3&s=521

KoolASUS
05-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Ok, then. Weird. btw, the 311.83 are not so bad, finally.

PatRaven
05-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Read post #91 in this thread:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43315-Auto-contrast-is-driving-me-nuts!!&p=396578&posted=1#post396578

:cool:

kidfromhell
05-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Woah, woah guys, following two threads on a same issue brings up inconvenience!! As the old thread is bumped up finally, let us use that thread to continue, shall we? So that we can get some ideas on how to get rid of this!

Old Thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43315-Auto-contrast-is-driving-me-nuts!!