PDA

View Full Version : Question about Realtek affecting 3.0 Usbs

Fehaya
05-06-2014, 02:40 AM
so everytime i try and install realtek's latest drivers my USB 3.0s which is pretty much every USB on this g750 tends to stop working so i try and remove em restart then theyll always come back with a exclamation mark on them and not work. What am i doing wrong?

hmscott
05-06-2014, 07:06 AM
so everytime i try and install realtek's latest drivers my USB 3.0s which is pretty much every USB on this g750 tends to stop working so i try and remove em restart then theyll always come back with a exclamation mark on them and not work. What am i doing wrong?

Fehaya, I think I only saw one post last year about the Realtek driver causing a USB 3.0 problem. What version of Windows are you running? What is the version number of the Realtek driver you are installing? And which version of Asus USB Charger Plus do you have installed?

Updating to Windows 8.1, and installing all the latest Windows 8.1 versions of the hardware drivers and Asus software from the new G750JM/JS/JZ download areas fixes all the problems reported so far, you could give it a try.

Some have had a problem with the older versions on Asus USB Charger Plus on Windows 8.1 - I am at version 3.1.8 and don't have any problems - Downloaded from the JM download area:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JM&hashedid=hk9WNtlEOFPl0Q7s

Fehaya
05-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Honestly i dont know what version of Realtek i was trying to install but it seems like it was the latest one, it has 2XXMB and when i looked that the other ones they were all around 1XXMB. My Realtek right now is 7164 and my USB Charger Plus is 3.1.8. My system is running on Win 8.1. If it also helps the Realtek i install would come with the Audio settings which lets me tinker around with the Bass Treble and the EQ. Lastly it lets me choose from a set of EQ like the one from the site. (Soundscape, Action, Multimedia, Etc.) Im positive it was Asus Audio Wizard.

hmscott
05-06-2014, 07:56 AM
Honestly i dont know what version of Realtek i was trying to install but it seems like it was the latest one, it has 2XXMB and when i looked that the other ones they were all around 1XXMB. My Realtek right now is 7164 and my USB Charger Plus is 3.1.8. My system is running on Win 8.1. If it also helps the Realtek i install would come with the Audio settings which lets me tinker around with the Bass Treble and the EQ. Lastly it lets me choose from a set of EQ like the one from the site. (Soundscape, Action, Multimedia, Etc.) Im positive it was Asus Audio Wizard.

Fehaya, do you still have the download link for the new one you were trying to install?

Here is the link for the version I am running, version V6.0.1.7188
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Audio&os=30

Update: I think I see the problem, someone at Asus has posted some old version 7183 ahead of and a newer version 7195 behind the 7188 version I tested, I haven't tried those. If you have a problem with 7183 or 7195, try 7188 :)

Fehaya
05-06-2014, 08:52 AM
ahh i think you nailed it, i will try 7188 now but is there a difference between global DLM and global? just so i dont screw this up again and thank you guys for helping and pointing that out.

hmscott
05-06-2014, 08:55 AM
ahh i think you nailed it, i will try 7188 now but is there a difference between global DLM and global? just so i dont screw this up again and thank you guys for helping and pointing that out.

All the download options should deliver the same bits, but one time it didn't :)

I use the regular Global, the DLM is Asus's download manager, didn't help me get things any quicker, and I think I used the P2P once, but 99% of the time I stick with the normal straight download.

Fehaya
05-06-2014, 09:04 AM
lol i see and thanks again for the help i will now download this and tonight and sleep it off, i will update this thread tomorrow wether its been resolved or not. Have a good day or night sir.

hmscott
05-06-2014, 09:06 AM
lol i see and thanks again for the help i will now download this and tonight and sleep it off, i will update this thread tomorrow wether its been resolved or not. Have a good day or night sir.

Fehaya, I've installed 7195, and it is working for me. Have a nice night's sleep :)

Fehaya
05-06-2014, 09:17 PM
yeah it worked for me as well thank you so much. And btw if i was to replace a hard drive specifically the smaller one, which one would it be and how would i be able to boot up windows 8 without the main hard drive inside it? (sorry im really not tech savvy, i have a 1TB from my old laptop so i was hoping to pop that in the G750 and end up wth 2TB.)

hmscott
05-06-2014, 09:43 PM
yeah it worked for me as well thank you so much. And btw if i was to replace a hard drive specifically the smaller one, which one would it be and how would i be able to boot up windows 8 without the main hard drive inside it? (sorry im really not tech savvy, i have a 1TB from my old laptop so i was hoping to pop that in the G750 and end up wth 2TB.)

A boot drive is needed to boot, so if the boot drive is the smaller drive you can clone it first onto the new 1TB drive before swapping it in to the Bay 1 position. Bay 1 is the left one with the access panel off and both drives oriented such that there are two on the bottom of the laptop.

If the smaller drive is the one in Bay 2, the non-boot drive, you can copy the data on that drive to the new 1TB drive and physically swap it in.

You can put the 1TB drive into an external 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosure (USB 2.0 is too slow) and then clone or copy to it there before swapping the 1TB for the smaller drive.

I use Macrium Reflect for cloning: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Fehaya
05-06-2014, 11:10 PM
after i clone it can i just swap it out when the laptop is off?

hmscott
05-07-2014, 12:20 AM
after i clone it can i just swap it out when the laptop is off?

Fehaya, yes you want to do the physical drive bay swaps with the power off - don't forget to unplug the power cable and remove the battery before swapping! - that is the power!

I put everything back, fasten the covers, and replace the battery before plugging back in and booting.

For the external USB - you want to right click on the systray "Safely Remove Hardware..." to eject the external USB before physically removing it with power on. Or power off before removing.

Fehaya
05-07-2014, 05:43 AM
lol so sorry im not exactly used to these things. And thank you so much, i had to delete my whole steam folder due to all of this when i was updating things from the Asus site my Wifi stopped working and the troubleshoot couldnt do anything, all it said was something might have been broken or corrupted (somewhere along those lines) lol. thank you again so much

hmscott
05-07-2014, 06:36 AM
lol so sorry im not exactly used to these things. And thank you so much, i had to delete my whole steam folder due to all of this when i was updating things from the Asus site my Wifi stopped working and the troubleshoot couldnt do anything, all it said was something might have been broken or corrupted (somewhere along those lines) lol. thank you again so much

There are so many moving parts/processes/associations going on it is easy for things to get messed up the first time you try it, there is a lot to be said for persistence, never giving up, as these problems are all solvable - eventually :)

It is easy to forget things are running in the background, and then interrupt the internet connection, sucks, but everything should be restartable.

Steam recovers from errors, and should restart - at worst removing the 1 or 2 local games that got corrupted might be needed - but that should be rare too - it hasn't happened to me, and last night I had dozens of games updating and interrupted the connection, and they all recovered when the connection was restored.

Why did you think you needed to delete the entire Steam folder - I am assuming game folder, not the Steam.exe folder... but if it was a Steam.exe update you should have been able to do a Programs and Features repair on the Steam app. In that case if you uninstalled Steam, you should have been able to keep your Steam Games folder and just reinstall the Steam app.

Which was it, a corrupted Steam app update, or a corrupted Steam game update? What troubleshoot are you talking about and how did you start it?

Fehaya
05-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Well i had to reformat the partition with the OS due to some errors ive encountered tryin to update a bunch of things from Asus, which then led to me not being able to open up my Steam, well atleast it wouldnt work. Do you have steam? It'd be alot easier to talk to you through PMs

hmscott
05-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Well i had to reformat the partition with the OS due to some errors ive encountered tryin to update a bunch of things from Asus, which then led to me not being able to open up my Steam, well atleast it wouldnt work. Do you have steam? It'd be alot easier to talk to you through PMs

Fehaya, find someone local to help you on these problems, it is sounding like you are making things worse, or interpreting them as worse - go to the shop you picked up the laptop, and ask for hands on support

You shouldn't have needed to reformat your OS drive due to Asus updates, and it sounds like you messed up something in Windows / network more basic than Steam - try to get someone to take a look at it with you.