PDA

View Full Version : What Am I Missing Here? Sluggish Multitasking w/wireless

SeattleROG
05-07-2014, 06:06 AM
So I bought this $3K+ 750JZ-XS as an "end all" laptop that could actually keep up with me. I've installed the following programs:

Adobe Creative Cloud: AI, PS, Etc, Etc
Sketchup Pro
Visio Pro
MS Office 2013
Tableau 8.1
Camtasia
Snagit

I can't listen to Spotify while moving between Visio and AI without the music skipping whenever I cut/paste or move something.

Is 32GB of RAM and dual SSD's in RAID 0 not enough to listen to music online while performing graphic tasks with this computer? I invested in this computer as a Mac alternative. Either my internet connection sucks (ClearWire in Seattle with current Ookla Speed Test of 3.86 Mbps DL) my Killer Wireless Card sucks, or....i'm missing something. What are your ideas?

Thanks!

E

hmscott
05-07-2014, 06:49 AM
So I bought this $3K+ 750JZ-XS as an "end all" laptop that could actually keep up with me. I've installed the following programs:

Adobe Creative Cloud: AI, PS, Etc, Etc
Sketchup Pro
Visio Pro
MS Office 2013
Tableau 8.1
Camtasia
Snagit

I can't listen to Spotify while moving between Visio and AI without the music skipping whenever I cut/paste or move something.

Is 32GB of RAM and dual SSD's in RAID 0 not enough to listen to music online while performing graphic tasks with this computer? I invested in this computer as a Mac alternative. Either my internet connection sucks (ClearWire in Seattle with current Ookla Speed Test of 3.86 Mbps DL) my Killer Wireless Card sucks, or....i'm missing something. What are your ideas?

Thanks!

E

What you are missing is probably a lot more than you suspect, it always is :)

Your DL speed is atrocious - what is the connection? DSL?

Right click on the Wireless Killer adapter and show the Status, what is the connection speed?

My Killer wireless connection status

I would try running over a wired ethernet connection to the router to see if the same thing happens.

You just got a new laptop, and lots of things are talking to the internet and checking in all the time, interrupting an already slow connection. The slower the connection the easier it is to disrupt streaming with other transfers.

If you leave lots of tabs up on your browser, and don't block things from reloading, there is lots of random traffic being used by your browser.

You also have a brand new laptop, with new graphics, and new Optimus, who knows how that is interfering with things - switching between Intel and Nvidia GPU depending on which application is considered in the foreground at the time - and switching to the other GPU when another app is in the foreground.

If you can, while on AC, configure all your apps to use Nvidia, and watch what happens when you switch to the desktop - I think you can set Nvidia globally, but still need to watch it as individual apps may go to Intel anyway.

Just so you know, with a 50mbps cable internet link, a G750JH with the same configuration otherwise, I don't get any weird gaps in music playback or video playback - rarely Netflix or Hulu may have their own problems, but overall it is a pleasant experience. And, I have lots of stuff running at the same time, lots of browser tabs, VM's, games, video, BD-R, etc.

Start by updating all your drivers, apps, windows, and run 1 thing at a time until you get a good feel for each thing, and then add 1 more thing, and live on that for a while, until you find the culprit(s).

Also, disable all background indexing, like windows indexing, Cyberlink media indexing, itunes indexing, turn off automatic updates - be in control and don't get surprised by things changing out from under you.

Get a faster internet connection :)

Let us know what you find!

themeonster
05-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Come back to me when you get 1.5Mbps (on a good day), then we can talk atrocious internet connections. And hmscott is right, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your hardware, in fact it looks pretty epic to me. Its just that the extreme complexity of today's electronics, particularly the expensive ones, means that stuff rarely works to perfection out of the box.

In my experience you should be able to stream music on a connection of that speed. Check the Killer network manager, it has a nice, albeit a bit buggy, graphical representation of how much bandwidth is being used by any given program. And if that doesn't help, check resource monitor. Does it sound like the audio is stuttering or does it actually pause and you have to manually resume it? If it is stuttering, there is a connection problem, if it is pausing than it is something else.

Hope this helps.

hmscott
05-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Come back to me when you get 1.5Mbps (on a good day), then we can talk atrocious internet connections.

Atrocious is a step above unusable, 1.5mbps is unusable ;)

SeattleROG
05-09-2014, 01:29 AM
Hm. Which download speed is correct? Killer is showing the "atrocious" rate. Windows is showing the more respectable 144 Mbps. 36504

Nillaz
05-09-2014, 04:18 AM
Hm. Which download speed is correct? Killer is showing the "atrocious" rate. Windows is showing the more respectable 144 Mbps. 36504

Windows is showing you your WIFI link rate, which is roughly your transfer speed between devices within your local network. Killer Manager is showing you your actual internet download speed.

If I had to venture a guess I would say the issue probably has little to do with your hardware and everything to do with your internet connection. Clearwire is Sprint Wimax, and as such your speed is right in line with what I would expect to see on their network. The problem is that these speeds can and do fluctuate downwards greatly and tend to have significant latency....sometimes hundreds of milliseconds. Windows 8 is continuously downloading information in the background for updates, live tiles, etc. which is going to have a serious impact on audio and video streaming when your total download capacity is already so low. I haven't moved to Adobe CC yet (still on CS6), but I would also guess that if it's set to automatically sync your project files with their cloud servers every time you run the program this is also going to have an effect.

hmscott
05-09-2014, 05:12 AM

The connect speed is the negotiated rate based on the protocol agreed on between the router and the laptop wireless adapter.

Can you please click Details... and post that too?

You can go directly to speedtest.net, and there you have a choice of servers to test against. The default one may not be the best choice for you at all, or it might be under heavy load during the test - so I usually test against several if I get a bad number, just to make sure it isn't the destination having a transient problem.

Here are some examples from where I am located, Palo Alto West Coast and Nova Scotia East Coast, all on ethernet:

The cool thing is you can click and drag the map under the test points to pick any available destination.

What speed download/upload/ping do you see on ethernet directly to the router?