PDA

View Full Version : G750JZ - Boot Failure

KazariK
05-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Hey all..

So I have an issue with my new G750JZ laptop..
A few weeks ago I ran into this problem but thought it was just doing an update but now I believe this is a REAL ISSUE and havent seen any other posts on this (maybe I am just not searching correctly).

The model I have came with the 500 gig ssd and 750 hd.
During boot up from a shut down, the laptop FAILS to reboot.. I get the harddrive light and Wifi light flashing back and forth. I am suspecting something has gone bad with the SSD. It DOES reboot ONCE in a blue moon and I had it running for a few days and I came home yesterday, my FIRST day I have had time to sit down and talk to Tech support and as I sat down at the laptop it flashed up a notice that it was about to reboot in 5 seconds for an update and then well.. You get the idea.. It hasnt restarted since.. I completely turn it off and tried to reboot, nothing, took out battery, powered down for a day, same thing.. I have some tech experience so I have some ideas on what to do, but this has me stumped..

Is this an issue with these models? Or just something with mine?

Kaz

Ace0751
05-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Which drive has the OS? Try taking the drive without the OS on it and boot it. If the OS is on the HDD then it might've went but if the OS is on the SSD that would be very unusual to have a boot failure.

hmscott
05-08-2014, 02:13 AM
Hey all..

So I have an issue with my new G750JZ laptop..
A few weeks ago I ran into this problem but thought it was just doing an update but now I believe this is a REAL ISSUE and havent seen any other posts on this (maybe I am just not searching correctly).

The model I have came with the 500 gig ssd and 750 hd.
During boot up from a shut down, the laptop FAILS to reboot.. I get the harddrive light and Wifi light flashing back and forth. I am suspecting something has gone bad with the SSD. It DOES reboot ONCE in a blue moon and I had it running for a few days and I came home yesterday, my FIRST day I have had time to sit down and talk to Tech support and as I sat down at the laptop it flashed up a notice that it was about to reboot in 5 seconds for an update and then well.. You get the idea.. It hasnt restarted since.. I completely turn it off and tried to reboot, nothing, took out battery, powered down for a day, same thing.. I have some tech experience so I have some ideas on what to do, but this has me stumped..

Is this an issue with these models? Or just something with mine?

Kaz

Kaz, yes, my JH did it when new too. It is called the 2 step boot. Power on, it powers off - push the power button again, it boots up fine.

After a few weeks, gradually doing that less and less, it completely stopped and it hasn't happened since. Annoying yes, but it seems to cure itself. :)

KazariK
05-09-2014, 02:43 PM
hey guys,

Ok, couple of quick notes.. 1 - The laptop is a G750JH-DB72-CA not the JZ that I mentioned earlier. Sorry about that..

@ACE0751 - The SSD has the OS.

@hmscott - Its not an issue of 2 steps.. It just doesnt boot.. I have tried rebooting multiple times and nothing.
Last night, I tried 20 boots straight, nothing.
Here is a video of what happens when it starts (or technically DOESNT start).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTllMme208w

And for me, its gotten worse, now it wont boot at all.. I am pretty sure I just need to send it back.. Its funny, I dont want to be with out my laptop, I have SOOOO much to do! lol but right now its absolutely non-functional so its not much difference lol..

Maybe one of the tech reps from Asus will see the video and have a better idea of the issue??

Kaz

KazariK
05-09-2014, 03:01 PM
A quick question to the mods, can I edit the title of this thread slightly to reflect the correct laptop?

KazariK
05-13-2014, 06:12 PM
bump - Would love to solve this before sending it in..
If I dont get anywhere I will be sending it as of Thursday..

hmscott
05-14-2014, 12:15 AM
hey guys,

Ok, couple of quick notes.. 1 - The laptop is a G750JH-DB72-CA not the JZ that I mentioned earlier. Sorry about that..

@ACE0751 - The SSD has the OS.

@hmscott - Its not an issue of 2 steps.. It just doesnt boot.. I have tried rebooting multiple times and nothing.
Last night, I tried 20 boots straight, nothing.
Here is a video of what happens when it starts (or technically DOESNT start).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTllMme208w

And for me, its gotten worse, now it wont boot at all.. I am pretty sure I just need to send it back.. Its funny, I dont want to be with out my laptop, I have SOOOO much to do! lol but right now its absolutely non-functional so its not much difference lol..

Maybe one of the tech reps from Asus will see the video and have a better idea of the issue??

Kaz

Kaz, it is a boot failure, but I can't tell if it is a hardware issue, or just a software boot problem.

There is a Bluetooth driver issue that causes a slow boot/shutdown, and that is fixed by updating to the latest Windows 8.1 BT driver for your hardware, which can be downloaded from the G750JM JS or JZ download areas - the old JW/JX/JH download areas haven't been updated to the same recent updtes.

The BT driver boot issue is frustrating because it takes 5-10 minutes to actually complete the boot / shutdown. Be patient, and just let it sit there till it finally goes into Windows, then download the update to fix it.

The interim fix, until there was an updated BT driver, was to disable BT or put it in Airport mode, you can try that too to get it to boot quicker until you get the updated driver installed.

If that isn't it, I would try a last ditch recovery restore, either from the Asus Backtracker flash drive you made, or from the F9 recovery refresh/restore.

You can boot on the Asus Backtracker USB Flash drive by powering up and tapping the ESC key till you get this dialog, and select your USB recovery drive from the list to boot from it, mine is the Sony in this boot option list:

I already absorbed the recovery partition into my C: drive, so I can't show you the F9 recovery / restore dialog. Power up and hold the Fn key and keep tapping the F9 key till you get the restore dialog.

You can try a Refresh first, or do a complete Reset your PC.

Let us know how that works out :)

goomba2352
05-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Hello everyone,

I had the same issue with my G750jh-db71 (where the computer would only boot up only once in a while, with the same flashing lights as shown in the Youtube video linked by Kaz). This morning, the computer completely failed to boot after many attempts. I am happy to say that I found a solution that actually works without requiring booting into windows. It turned out after manually flashing the BIOS using a built in failsafe, the computer always boots correctly now. I would like to credit the author of the thread below:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38669-G750JW-Blank-Screen-after-BIOS-changes-SOLVED

What I did to solve the problem:
- Format a flash drive (I used a 4 GB) to FAT
- Place the latest appropriate BIOS from Asus's support site onto the flash drive (Make sure to differentiate between G750JH and G750JHA). In my case, I needed the G750JHA bios.
- Rename the file appropriately (e.g. G750JH.bin, G750JHA.bin)
- Place the flash drive into the defunct computer
- Hold down CTRL+HOME, and then press the power button while continuing to hold down the keys
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Reboot, and wait ~20 seconds, and it works

Hopefully anyone else with this problem can try this before they send off their computers.

hmscott
05-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Hello everyone,

I had the same issue with my G750jh-db71 (where the computer would only boot up only once in a while, with the same flashing lights as shown in the Youtube video linked by Kaz). This morning, the computer completely failed to boot after many attempts. I am happy to say that I found a solution that actually works without requiring booting into windows. It turned out after manually flashing the BIOS using a built in failsafe, the computer always boots correctly now. I would like to credit the author of the thread below:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38669-G750JW-Blank-Screen-after-BIOS-changes-SOLVED

What I did to solve the problem:
- Format a flash drive (I used a 4 GB) to FAT
- Place the latest appropriate BIOS from Asus's support site onto the flash drive (Make sure to differentiate between G750JH and G750JHA). In my case, I needed the G750JHA bios.
- Place the flash drive into the defunct computer
- Hold down CTRL+HOME, and then press the power button while continuing to hold down the keys
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Reboot, and wait ~20 seconds, and it works

Hopefully anyone else with this problem can try this before they send off their computers.

goomba2352, that's great, thanks for the detailed steps :)

KazariK hasn't logged in since his last Post, but you might PM him with your steps just in case he has "Receive Email Notification of new Private Messages" enabled.

KazariK
05-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Goomba

How do I figure out which one I need..
Is this something I can see by opening the bottom panel?
The website says look at the motherboard or the screen (cant look at screen, it doesnt boot lol)..
Just trying to figure out how I determine which bios I need.

hmscott - I havent had a lot of chance to log in, my laptop is/was my only real source of computer at home.. I do have an ipad now so Im able to do some stuff.. But thankfully for work I was able to get in and see this today..
I havent really taken a look at what you posted, but will do so tonight.. HOPING to try this bios thing tonight!!! if that worked Id be SOOOOO HAPPY!

hmscott
05-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Goomba
The website says look at the motherboard or the screen (cant look at screen, it doesnt boot lol)..

KazariK, if you have a RAID0, you have the JHA, but either way, it won't load a wrong BIOS, so try first with the JHA and if that doesn't take, try the JH.

KazariK
05-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Oh if someone knows of a really easy method of determining the bios let me know.. I could have my daughter take pictures of the underside of the laptop and send them to me at work so that I can download the driver here..

hmscott
05-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Oh if someone knows of a really easy method of determining the bios let me know.. I could have my daughter take pictures of the underside of the laptop and send them to me at work so that I can download the driver here..

KazariK, unfortunately the outside of the laptop doesn't say if it is a JHA or a JH, and neither does the box / labels on the box.

Usually I recommend using CPU-Z and the motherboard tab to see which you have, or go into the BIOS at power up by hitting F2 repeatedly as soon as you press the Power on button, like immediately after.

If you can get into the BIOS, you can also try a "set defaults" and then F10 save and restart, that also clears BIOS config corruption, which is likely what reloading the BIOS did for Goomba.

goomba2352
05-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Goomba

hmscott - I havent had a lot of chance to log in, my laptop is/was my only real source of computer at home.. I do have an ipad now so Im able to do some stuff.. But thankfully for work I was able to get in and see this today..
I havent really taken a look at what you posted, but will do so tonight.. HOPING to try this bios thing tonight!!! if that worked Id be SOOOOO HAPPY!

After doing some research, the G750JHA BIOS appears to be for the G750JH models with RAID, and the G750JH BIOS appears to be for the models without RAID. I would use the G750JH BIOS because according to the specs of your laptop, it appears to not have RAID. So I would download the G750JH BIOS revision 206 for flashing purposes.

KazariK
05-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Yea I dont believe I have RAID0.. When I got the laptop the SSD was divided into 2 equal portions, but I went through and joined them together. Personally dont know why they would do that, but they did.. Not a huge issue..

Based on this and the email from goomba I will try the JH bios and see how that works.. Hope I can find a USB floating around here to play with lol.

KazariK, if you have a RAID0, you have the JHA, but either way, it won't load a wrong BIOS, so try first with the JHA and if that doesn't take, try the JH.

KazariK
05-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Ok, really stupid question..

When I downloaded the bios it came in a zip file. When I extracted the zip I got a folder and a file. Do I rename the file or the folder?
The file I got was G750JHA-AS.204
Do I change that to G750JHA-AS.BIN ?

goomba2352
05-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Ok, really stupid question..

When I downloaded the bios it came in a zip file. When I extracted the zip I got a folder and a file. Do I rename the file or the folder?
The file I got was G750JHA-AS.204
Do I change that to G750JHA-AS.BIN ?

You rename the file and place it on the root of the drive. When I flashed the BIOS earlier this morning, I was unsure of the file name, so I made multiple copies of the file with different names, and placed them on the root of the flash drive. I used G750JHA-AS.bin, G750JHA.bin, and G750JH.bin. One of them had to have worked. I would recommend using the 206 revision, since your laptop does not appear to have RAID.

KazariK
05-29-2014, 09:50 PM
Ahhh good catch! woops! thank you goomba!!!

Ok, downloaded the 206 version, have unpacked it and renamed it into 4 different files.
G750JH.bin
G750JHAS.bin
G750JHA.bin
G750JHA-AS.bin

Hope one of those works to get my baby back up and running! omg would I be happy!

You rename the file and place it on the root of the drive. When I flashed the BIOS earlier this morning, I was unsure of the file name, so I made multiple copies of the file with different names, and placed them on the root of the flash drive. I used G750JHA-AS.bin, G750JHA.bin, and G750JH.bin. One of them had to have worked. I would recommend using the 206 revision, since your laptop does not appear to have RAID.

KazariK
05-30-2014, 02:27 AM
Well guys..

I just wanted to give you an update..
As I sit and type this from my G750JH!!! BOOYAAH!!

Thank you guys! that did it!!! HELLS YES!

To Asus reps, you need to create a manual / sticky for this problem.. Easy fix for a issue that is very tricky (even to my network guys at my government office)..

Again, THANK YOU GUYS! Honestly, you have no idea how happy I am to have it back up and running!!!

Quick question..
Anyone know how I adjust the title to reflect solved?

Kaz

hmscott
05-30-2014, 02:49 AM
Well guys..

I just wanted to give you an update..
As I sit and type this from my G750JH!!! BOOYAAH!!

Thank you guys! that did it!!! HELLS YES!

To Asus reps, you need to create a manual / sticky for this problem.. Easy fix for a issue that is very tricky (even to my network guys at my government office)..

Again, THANK YOU GUYS! Honestly, you have no idea how happy I am to have it back up and running!!!

Quick question..
Anyone know how I adjust the title to reflect solved?

Kaz

Kaz, awesome, glad that worked!

MarshallR@ASUS put up a sticky for CTRL+HOME BIOS recovery in the "G75, G55 & G46 Gaming Notebooks" forum, you could PM him to put it here too :)

You can also ask MarshallR@ASUS to change the topic for you, or ask one of the other CL-* customer support guys.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17622-Had-a-bad-BIOS-flash-Read-this!&p=119624&viewfull=1#post119624

MarshallR@ASUS could update that posting a bit to help explain what circumstances it makes sense to try this procedure, and steps describing the steps on how to make it work correctly, maybe you could write up the post for him?

onebadboy
05-09-2015, 05:38 AM
thanks for your post here. it help get my pc running!!

bb

KazariK
05-15-2015, 11:50 PM
Just a note for any who are going through the pain I did. This happened to me a 2nd time! But following the process laid out here, I was back up in no time..

GottiBoi55
05-18-2015, 02:28 AM
@Mods, need to make this thread a "sticky"

This can be very helpful to many people.

Now on the older G series, for example my G75VW, Asus has a "BIOS Recovery Procedure" in place similar to this method.
The procedure was was to hold down the ctrl, home, and the power button till you see the BIOS EZ-Flash Utility start.
As long as you had the factory installed OS still in place with the original BIOS bin file in the root, (would not work on fresh OS installs) you was able to recover back to that bin file in case of a bad BIOS flash. (this procedure, ctrl+home+power worked of me on my G75VW)

Great job Goomba, +5 reps for you my friend!

KazariK
07-29-2015, 05:26 PM
Well... It happened, and I am surprised it happened, I am officially PISSED OFF at ASUS!
So, I dont know WTF is happening, but today, trying to be smart and slightly proactive, I went to the Asus website to download and save a copy of the latest bios before I do my update to Windows 10. Previous windows updates, for what ever reason have run havoc on the bios and I have had to update it a couple of times now..
I just spent 30 minutes trying to find the bios for my laptop, the ROG J750JH.. When ever I type that into the service search field it shoots me over to some page that seems to be for sales. At NO POINT do I get offered to go to a section with drivers, WTF Asus??!!! Are you no longer supporting this laptop? It certainly is not what I expect from this company..

So, I am wondering if anyone else is having this issue. Where can I get a copy of the bios?

KazariK
04-09-2016, 04:27 AM
Hey all,

Ok happened again :( Arg! Why can't they just fix this!!!!

Anyways, trying to update the bios but the Ctrl-Home power isn't working.. What am I missing?

I press hold Ctrl & Home (continue to hold them) while I press and release power..
Just goes into the same flashing lights as before

KazariK
04-09-2016, 04:44 AM
Got it, turns out using a Powered external harddrive doesnt work, put it on a USB stick and it was fine.. Back up and running.

Kaz

rebel4ever
11-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Hi, i have same problem with my Asus G750jz -boot failure, i put bios on USB stick and pressed CTRL+HOME + Power, but no luck. Any ideea what i am doing wrong?. Thanks

Phlier
06-26-2019, 09:49 PM
I'm having the same problem. I can't get the CTRL+HOME+Power to work. I'm wondering if it's because the USB stick I'm using is formatted as Fat32? Does the stick *have* to be formatted as just plain FAT?

Phlier
06-28-2019, 07:17 PM
It would appear that my problem is because I don't know exactly what to name the bios file. I've tried every variation of the names on page 2 with no luck.

Would anyone out there happen to know the exact bios file name needed for a G750JZ? I do have the correct bios file, I just need to know exactly what to name it so that the emergency bios flash procedure recognizes the file.

jdfrench3
06-28-2019, 08:31 PM
G750JZAS.210

File downloaded from ASUS Download Center site:

https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G750JZ/HelpDesk_Download/

BIOS Version 210

Dated 2015/01/30

Size: 2.22MBytes

Download the G750JZAS210.zip file, then unzip and extract the file G750JZAS.210, transfer copy to FAT32 formatted USB, use EZFlash in BIOS to upgrade.

Phlier
06-29-2019, 02:05 PM
G750JZAS.210

File downloaded from ASUS Download Center site:

https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G750JZ/HelpDesk_Download/

BIOS Version 210

Dated 2015/01/30

Size: 2.22MBytes

Download the G750JZAS210.zip file, then unzip and extract the file G750JZAS.210, transfer copy to FAT32 formatted USB, use EZFlash in BIOS to upgrade.

While I really do appreciate the reply, this isn't about a "normal" bios flash. This thread is about an emergency recovery flash, done on notebooks that will not start up at all, hence there is no ability to access the bios. At all. The notebook does nothing. So no EZFlash.

The only way to recover from this is to insert a usb drive that has the bios file on it that you want to flash, then hold control-home then power on. At that time, the filename is read from the USB stick. And if it isn't named exactly right, it won't be recognized.

I am attempting to find out what the exact file name must be for the file to be recognized.

jdfrench3
06-29-2019, 02:56 PM
What program are you opening when you do this procedure.....EZFlash!

Looks like you need to establish what model you have. G750JZ or G750JZA. You don't know?

Try all combinations. Keep in mind, you have two different BIOSs, depending on the model, BIOS G750JZAAS.210 (G750JZA.bin and G750JZAAS.bin) and BIOS G750JZAS.210 (G750JZ.bin and G750JZAS.bin). Don't mix them up.

G750JZ.bin
G750JZAS.bin
G750JZA.bin
G750JZAAS.bin

You do know you have to hold down the buttons for about a minute?

Phlier
06-29-2019, 07:23 PM
What program are you opening when you do this procedure.....EZFlash!

Looks like you need to establish what model you have. G750JZ or G750JZA. You don't know?

Try all combinations. Keep in mind, you have two different BIOSs, depending on the model, BIOS G750JZAAS.210 (G750JZA.bin and G750JZAAS.bin) and BIOS G750JZAS.210 (G750JZ.bin and G750JZAS.bin). Don't mix them up.

G750JZ.bin
G750JZAS.bin
G750JZA.bin
G750JZAAS.bin

You do know you have to hold down the buttons for about a minute?

Thanks again for the additional help! Here's what happens...

1. Put the usb drive in the laptop
2. While holding control and home, press the power button.
3. Initially, the usb drive lights up, as if it's being read
4. I keep holding down the control and home buttons
5. Eventually, the usb drive light goes out
6. The disk and wifi lights on the laptop start to flash alternately... Which is what it does during a failed boot

I'm not getting any information displayed on the screen at all.

Unfortunately, the Product Registration Screen for my laptop just shows that it is a "G750JZ" and doesn't provide any additional information. I'm using the bios file provided by the Product Registration Screen. The filename, when downloaded, is "G750JZAS.210"

Edit: Forgot to say that I'll try the filenames suggested, thank you!

jdfrench3
06-29-2019, 07:36 PM
Have you unplugged the laptop from the charging brick, removed battery, held power button on for a couple minutes? Install battery, attach charging brick, normal power up?

As a last effort, remove CMOS battery from motherboard Replace the CMOS battery.

If that doesn't change anything, then get a RMA from ASUS and return the laptop to ASUS for repair.

Looking on the Internet, there seems to be many such problems with the G750xx model laptop.

Phlier
06-29-2019, 07:44 PM
Have you unplugged the laptop from the charging brick, removed battery, held power button on for a couple minutes? Install battery, attach charging brick, normal power up?

As a last effort, remove CMOS battery from motherboard Replace the CMOS battery.

If that doesn't change anything, then get a RMA from ASUS and return the laptop to ASUS for repair.

Looking on the Internet, there seems to be many such problems with the G750xx model laptop.

Answer to first question: I've literally done this a hundred times now.

Answer to second question: I think that's going to be my next step.

And yes, it seems like every G750 owner ends up dealing with this *exact* issue at least once. Multiple users have said they've had to do this procedure numerous times. : /

Phlier
06-29-2019, 07:56 PM
Thanks again for the help, jdfrench3, much appreciated.

Seriously considering just buying a replacement motherboard from ali-express.

Phlier
06-30-2019, 03:12 PM
So I ended up downloading another bios, for the G750JZA, and it worked. I'm still not sure what the exact filename is, as I had four differently named bios files on the usb stick.

Anyway, much thanks to everyone in this thread. You guys got my brick working again.

jdfrench3
06-30-2019, 04:35 PM
Hey,

Run dxdiag.exe and write down your system model and BIOS.....For the next time

Phlier
06-30-2019, 05:42 PM
One final thought on this whole situation...

This emergency bios recovery technique really should have been included in the official User Guide documentation included with the laptop. Whoever wrote the User Manual should be fired for not including this vital information.

Not only would it have kept a large number of laptops from being returned to ASUS (which, of course, costs ASUS money), it would have greatly enhanced the user's experience of using the laptop, and would have avoided un-necessary user frustration.

Additionally, this issue is a very wide problem; pretty much every owner of the G750 series of laptops will experience this problem at some point. And it's an engineering flaw. If a guy returned his laptop under warranty because of this problem, ASUS would replace it with a laptop with the same engineering flaw, ensuring that at some point, the user will experience the exact same issue. The way that ASUS has (or rather, hasn't) handled this issue speaks volumes.

Personally, I'm done with ASUS hardware, and when my G750JZ finally bites it, it'll be replaced with a competitor's machine.

Phlier
06-30-2019, 05:44 PM
Hey,

Run dxdiag.exe and write down your system model and BIOS.....For the next time

Thanks for that!

After getting my machine up and running, the first thing I did was run HWiNFO64, and found out that yes, my machine is a G750JZA, and uses a BIOS that is *not* the one that ASUS recommends using from my Product Registration page. I had to find it on my own. Well done again, ASUS. ;)