PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal ? ( fan related problem G56JR )

Anotheruser
05-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Hello , I just acquired recently ( 2 days ago ) an Asus G56JR and I must say I am very pleased with everything but one aspect . The fan in idle mode works at 2300 rpm which makes an annoying sound. I wonder if it is normal with the model or its an problem with the fan .

P.S I did change the power management settings also tried a lot in the past 2 days but I cant seem to understand why is the fan at 2300 rpm in idle when the laptop is cool and the cpu temp is at ~ 45 degrees .

Thanks for reading .

sasuke256
05-08-2014, 09:21 AM
open the bios and deactivate full speed fan on AC or s.th like that :)

Anotheruser
05-08-2014, 09:46 AM
There isn't such options for fan control as far as I saw. My first try was somehow to set the fan from bios but couldn't find any option related to fan control.

grungeboy
05-08-2014, 09:52 AM
look for intel DTS managment.

Anotheruser
05-08-2014, 01:09 PM
I can't seem to find any related fan cpu options in bios , neither the options mentioned above . So judging by the responses is in fact a problem for cpu fan to stay at 2300 rpm in idle. Anyone can suggest any solution or some owner of g56jr had facing the same issues ?

Prostar Computer
05-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Usually the RPM of the fan(s) is depicted by the temperature. If the system is idle but running at 40 C, the fans will remain on at a low RPM. The fan profile (determining when the fans stop or rev) will vary from one system's firmware to another and the reported temperature.

Now when you say a "annoying sound," does it sound abnormal? Or does it just seem excessively loud?

Anotheruser
05-08-2014, 11:33 PM
It seem excessively loud for a cpu that is working is idle mode . I've been monitoring the cpu temperature while being idle and it is around ~ 45 degrees while the rpm of the fan ( using speed fan ) seems to stay at 2300 rpm , going up in case of more intense usage of the cpu , never dropping under 2300 , so basically the loud noise is always present no matter if I do intense work on cpu or simply it being idle.

hmscott
05-09-2014, 04:18 AM
It seem excessively loud for a cpu that is working is idle mode . I've been monitoring the cpu temperature while being idle and it is around ~ 45 degrees while the rpm of the fan ( using speed fan ) seems to stay at 2300 rpm , going up in case of more intense usage of the cpu , never dropping under 2300 , so basically the loud noise is always present no matter if I do intense work on cpu or simply it being idle.

The G56JR is different than the G750, as the G750 doesn't show any fan speed info through Speedfan 4.49, only temps:

SpeedFan 4.49 G750JH

HWinfo64 readings at the same time

Note that the Speedfan readings are low as compared to the HWinfo64 readings - I trust the HWinfo readings. You might want to load HWinfo64 and compare your Speedfan temps against the HWinfo readings.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

I don't know of any tool that reads CPU fan speed on the G750's, does anyone know of one?

It may be the G56JR isn't actually giving an accurate reading. I have had motherboards with sensors that show up as fan speed indicators, but don't vary enough to be accurate - the range of rpm change is small if not effectively 0 deflection from 1 reading.

What fan speed range does Speedfan show from 0%-100% CPU, from 2300rpm to?

Anotheruser
05-09-2014, 09:37 AM
I've been using HWinfo64 and also XTU to compare/stress the cpu in order to see the temperatures and as I can see the temperatures from SpeedFan are actually concrete , also the speed range for 0-100% CPU in a stress test was 2300-3200 rpm,going back to 2300 rpm after a while when the test was complete.

Also another thing that it seems odd is that the cpu is in idle at a minimum value of 789 MHz , never dropping lower than this value ( both XTU and HWinfo64 registered this frequency as minimum frequency for the CPU ) .

hmscott
05-09-2014, 09:52 AM
I've been using HWinfo64 and also XTU to compare/stress the cpu in order to see the temperatures and as I can see the temperatures from SpeedFan are actually concrete , also the speed range for 0-100% CPU in a stress test was 2300-3200 rpm,going back to 2300 rpm after a while when the test was complete.

Also another thing that it seems odd is that the cpu is in idle at a minimum value of 789 MHz , never dropping lower than this value ( both XTU and HWinfo64 registered this frequency as minimum frequency for the CPU ) .

Anotheruser, the G750 drops down to 790mhz as well, no lower. It isn't unusual for a laptop cpu fan to run at a higher speed than a desktop cpu fan. The desktop fan is larger, mine are 120mm/140mm, vs the laptop which is likely 60-80mm, so it needs to spin faster for the blades to move similar volumes of air.

Here are a couple of internal shots of the G750 show the fan sizes - CPU on the left - GPU on the right. I couldn't find any G56r internal shots, but it is a smaller laptop with less room inside, so I would assume the fans would need to be even smaller - and spin faster yet.

From this article: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/726296-asus-g750-disassembly.html

It looks like the fan speeds you are seeing are normal. It is a small space to cool some hot parts, and to move the heat out of the laptop, a small fan is going to need to work faster and harder than a larger part that can spin slower and quieter to do the same work for the same parts (CPU/GPU).

Anotheruser
05-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the prompt response, hmscott.Well it seems I just have to adjust with the sound then.