PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Recovery CD work for G74Sx?

Tumbler
05-08-2014, 02:55 PM
I bought a open box G74Sx laptop 2 years ago and bought a G75vw laptop (new) 1 year ago. The 75 came with the recovery CD and it looks like a partition designated to recovery. The G74 HDD came with a HDD that was just a standard windows install. Possibly off an Asus CD, I'm not sure. I reinstalled Windows 7 anyway when I first got it off a new parition.

I'd like to upgrade to a SSD and I was planning on using my 64 bit windows install disk to get it loaded but can I use the recovery CD from the G75 and is doing that worth it? (The extra asus stuff it installs is helpful and preferred)

And does anyone know if doing a backup and disk image to a seperate drive would allow you to pull the original drive, then launch the windows repair tool and restore that image/backup onto a new drive? (SSD) I'm considering doing that but as I uninstall stuff getting ready to create as small an image as possible I'm finding things that I'm nervous have installed crap in the background. I'd rather have the piece of mind of a fresh install but in the G74's case I'd take the saved time instead. (mainly because I have a lot of programs that are registered and would have to be reregistered which is a pain)

Clintlgm
05-08-2014, 08:26 PM
First off the disk that came with the G75 is a driver disk only!! all those driver would be way out of date
Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) is free and will copy you disk over to a SSD or you can create an Image and restore the image to your new SSD. No sure but you might need the paid version to Deploy to different hardware that way it will adjust Partitions sizes. So you only need to cut your data back to fit on a SSD. I have my OS, Most programs on my 256 GB SSD with 150 GB free. Lots of people have use Reflect to clone there 750GB hard drive to 256 GB SSD.
I don't think all the drivers from a G75 Driver disk will work for a G74, However you can easily download all the latest drivers from Asus Support Dowload (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G75VW&p=3&s=388)

Tumbler
05-14-2014, 01:15 PM
I've tried just about everything I can think of and have not been able to transfer my existing C drive to the SSD.

I started by using the Windows Backup and restore system, saved a backup to a different physical drive, created a system image there as well then tried to pull the original drive and restore that image to the new drive.

Gave me an error about the image being created with EFI and I was running bios. I tried creating a windows recovery disk from the original HD with the working OS and it doesn't boot. Not clear why the existing install that works can't create a boot disk that works.

I tried to reinstall with the factory recovery dvd's, that put a recovery partition into the new drive and then went through a factory install. After that was done I tried to go find the windows image and again it kicks back an error saying it needed a different version of windows. (everything is windows 7)

I tried install windows 7 off a retail copy of the disc, then restoring, that didn't work. Acts like image was from a different incompatible version of windows. I tried running the restore straight off the windows 7 disc, incompatible again.

I tried using Acronis easy migrate, won't see the original HDD. Tried plugging both original and new drive into another computer then using acronis there, still won't see the original hdd.

Installing from the recovery DVD's was the most successful process but there is a problem. Boot discs's it creates don't work, they boot the system into recovery mode again and it starts trying to do a full factory restore. If I just hit f8 on boot up and hit repair it doesn't go to the windows repair options, it jumps straight into a factory reinstall screen.

As much as I want to keep this drive and migrate it all the problems with basic windows features leave me feeling like it's not worth the trouble. If it's not going to let me access windows recovery mode when I need it I think this is a bad idea to try and keep that drive rather than reinstalling.

It seem like the Asus Window 7 they shipped on this drive is only compatible with itself and it doesn't like using hte windows recovery features.

Clintlgm
05-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Your problem is UEFI GPT disk this is the way your notebook was shipped. I recommended Macrium Reflect it's free and can deal with UEFI GPT disk Cloning and its free good luck.
Again I'll give you the thread that explains what you have to do to upgrade to a SSD (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=)