PDA

View Full Version : Hissing/Buzzing

Aether
10-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Had the G73JW-A1 for a year or so and then after I pressed something by accident in windows ( Control Panel - Power Options - "Change when the computer sleeps" )

Hissing/Buzzing seemed to have come after that... anything that can fix that?

reinstalling windows didn't do anything

edit2: In addition to the above, is there a way to disable the laptop's built-in speakers? ( I only use the headphone jacks anyways )

dstrakele
10-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Changing when your computer sleeps should have no effect on your audio quality.

In Device Manager - Sound, video, and game controllers, what driver version is displayed for your Realtek High Definition Audio?

Is the hiss and buzz also heard through headphones?

Aether
10-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Yeah, it's only the headphone jack ( it only came up after I clicked that button for some reason )
Not sure ( i'll check in a bit for the drivers thing )

edit2: 11:40 / Oct 6/2011 // added stuff to OP

dstrakele
10-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Are you saying the laptop speakers still play audio with your headphones plugged in? I'm thinking your headphone jack is "jacked" and you may need to send your system in for repair. Check out http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1313-Asus-G60Vx-headphone-jack-stuck-quot-on-quot&highlight=bent.

Aether
10-07-2011, 08:50 PM
not quite... that's not what I meant... just wondering how to disable them anyways...

dstrakele
10-07-2011, 09:50 PM
not quite... that's not what I meant... just wondering how to disable them anyways...

Sorry - I don't know how to help you with that.

If the sound from your laptop speakers is clean, and from your headphones has hissing and buzzing, I would suspect a bad headphone jack or bad headphones.

If there is hissing and buzzing in both, I'd try a System Restore to an earlier time to see if the issue is resolved. If that fails, I would attempt to uninstall the Realtek High Definition Audio driver, reboot, confirm no Realtek drivers remain on your system, then install the most recent Realtek audio driver. If that fails, you could send the system in for repair, or if you want to try one last shot, perform a System Recovery or a clean install of Windows 7.

Aether
11-11-2011, 01:15 PM
The times when it's 100% Silent with noise at all is when I right click the Volume icon ---> "Play back devices"---- > Sound Tab ----> Click on Microphone icon ( if I click away to something else, it comes back again )

//not installed yet... was afk for awhile // windows = clean install

Realtek Audio driver v2.63 (07/20/11) or 2.61
Realtek HDMI Driver v2.61 (06/03/11)
Would I need both of these or just the Realtek Audio driver?

[JW] Creative THX 1.00 package (as above + THX and EAX 5.0 support) License imbedded for JW hardware. ??? Is this required, too?

JRd1st
11-11-2011, 04:43 PM
I think you can lose the Creative stuff if you want and get by with just the Realtek HD Audio, and the Realtek HDMI drivers. The HDMI is only necessary if you want to run audio out of the HDMI connector, I believe.

I'm fairly sure you can install THX if you want.

Here are the Official Site (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false) (http://www.station-drivers.com/page/realtek_audio.htm)and Realtek drivers (http://www.station-drivers.com/page/realtek_audio.htm) with R 2.## numbers. Asus numbers their downloads differently, so I can't give you links and know what they are. lol

Aether
11-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks. It works fine now, but what does the creative driver do? ( I haven't installed that one, but I did install the realtek one )

BrodyBoy
11-12-2011, 01:03 AM
The Creative THX program (it's not a driver) just adds some basic audio processing.....it has a pre-set equalizer called the "Crystalizer." It's mostly just useful as a way to improve on the awful sound of the built-in speakers. If you use headphones all the time, you really don't need it (unless you try it and decide you like its effect on headphone audio).

JRd1st
11-12-2011, 01:37 AM
I believe that some G73's use some more involved Creative software, like a Suite or something, but they can also use the Realtek driver. I remember Chastity telling someone to just use Realtek and forget about the creative stuff. I don't think she was talking about THX.