PDA

View Full Version : Hi there everyone...

zack_1989
10-07-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm new to this this forum and wanted to say whats up to everyone. I recently purchased a G74sx-BBK7 not long ago and am loving just about everything about this beastly rig. Curious to know though anyone on here get any good external speakers for a decent price for this thing that you really like and are pretty portable?

Yahooligan
10-07-2011, 06:37 PM
IMO, if you want portable then I would invest in a good set of headphones. I have headphones for when I'm mobile and I have the Bose Companion 3 speakers at home. They don't make the Companion 3 anymore, it was replaced with the Companion 5. Great sound, kinda pricey.

Before the Bose I had Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, also great sound but the amp shorted after 1-2 years. :(

Cyrekk
10-08-2011, 07:07 AM
I also vote for headphones. Also, welcome to the ROG forums!

irdmoose
10-08-2011, 02:25 PM
The onboard speakers suffice for most of my daily activities, but I usually carry two different sets of headphones for private listening. I use a cheap pair of collapsible headphones (around $5) that just get the job done and live in my bag, and when I'm taking my laptop for gaming I use my Logitech G930's. The G930's have awesome 7.1 surround sound, and like my G700 mouse they're both wired and wireless. If you want a good set of speakers, they won't be portable.

zack_1989
10-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Gotcha, thanks everyone. :) Yea see i always carry with me my full metal jacket skull candies and they sound great, I just have noticed since day one the speakers in this thing built in really do suck. They crackle at almost everything and just most stuff they vibrate like and just aren't good. I was actually going to see if there is a way to remove the factory speakers and maybe install some new speakers in there place. I'm sure there has to be a way to do this, even if it's with ones from a higher model/class g74sx, or anything that will fit in place. You guys don't know if thats possible off hand would you? Thanks again.

Symb
10-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Never ever have I had any single expectation when talking about laptop speakers, ye, they are always there, but only if there's no other way to let the sound out. The possibilities are just too limited, some can make them better and some don't, but noone should think that they can replace good set of amp and speakers or headphones.
I can guarantee that I won't be disappointed on the speakers of G74 neither.

JRd1st
10-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Never ever have I had any single expectation when talking about laptop speakers, ye, they are always there, but only if there's no other way to let the sound out. The possibilities are just too limited, some can make them better and some don't, but noone should think that they can replace good set of amp and speakers or headphones.
I can guarantee that I won't be disappointed on the speakers of G74 neither.

Lol, that's a good way to think! I agree.

In my opinion, the sound is pretty decent for such a small unit. As long as the speakers don't start vibrating something, as happens to some.

Good luck!

zack_1989
10-09-2011, 04:51 PM
I agree, but see mine vibrate like all hell under medium sound for a lot of things. Some things they don't such as songs, movies or even some games and when they don't I think they sound pretty darn good. From the vibration noise is that a defect of something then? Because I'm assuming that's not with all of them from the sounds of it.

JRd1st
10-09-2011, 05:01 PM
The speaker(s) are probably touching something and when the frequency or amplitude is just right it vibrates. I'm not suggesting you take your rig apart by any means, but look HERE (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/616055-how-disassemble-g74sx-reduce-speaker-vibrations-photos.html) for a pictorial/tutorial that explains what's happening.

Sorry man, I wish there was something else I could tell you. I don't think Asus considers this a defect because it's the way they put it together. Maybe I'm wrong . . .

chrsplmr
10-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Zack,Yahoo,Symb,Ckk.....Welcome New Members to ROG Member Forum.

Im not a laptop guy... I could be with a 74..but not now.
Not a big headphone fan either...Pressure, heartbeat, hearing myself breath...not into it.
That would be a good mod though...some sort of portable bass/speaker box with a handle..
LanPartySpeakers...also great for your laptop... in a ScoobyDoo Lunch Box or something....
naaaaaaa...metal would rattle.
Best of Luck.
The Vulcan folds up.... just saying.c.

Symb
10-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Zack,Yahoo,Symb,Ckk.....Welcome New Members to ROG Member Forum.

Im not a laptop guy... I could be with a 74..but not now.
Not a big headphone fan either...Pressure, heartbeat, hearing myself breath...not into it.
That would be a good mod though...some sort of portable bass/speaker box with a handle..
LanPartySpeakers...also great for your laptop... in a ScoobyDoo Lunch Box or something....
naaaaaaa...metal would rattle.
Best of Luck.
The Vulcan folds up.... just saying.c.

Hmm. I kinda feel you on those feelings, but ppl are different and there's plenty of headphones to choose from too ;).
And ye, thank you for the warm greets!

-Symb

chrsplmr
10-09-2011, 06:59 PM
We all have our favorite flavors of ROG.

A jack for the car amp..would be fun too..hehehee
Glad your here...and Finland...Whats that like this time of year?
Beautiful country....enjoy.c.

Cyrekk
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
If I had the right mats, I should be able to do a nice portable speaker mod... What kind of profile are we talking about here?

zack_1989
10-10-2011, 01:38 AM
I would like some nice portable speakers for something like this for instance: If I go over to a friend or family members house and plug my system up into there hdtv via hdmi cable and want to watch something on my laptop, I don't have to have the sound coming from some rinky speakers that you cant hear from 5 feet away to well at all. Nice portable speakers should do the job nicely and should be able to hear some good quality ones from a good bit away as if the sound was coming from the tv itself, but only better. :)

Cyrekk
10-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Any idea on dimensions, how they would pack up, and/or how they would be set up? Since I assume the typical PC speaker configuration won't do, I need some parameters before I can start musing on this.

Yahooligan
10-10-2011, 06:46 PM
I would like some nice portable speakers for something like this for instance: If I go over to a friend or family members house and plug my system up into there hdtv via hdmi cable and want to watch something on my laptop, I don't have to have the sound coming from some rinky speakers that you cant hear from 5 feet away to well at all. Nice portable speakers should do the job nicely and should be able to hear some good quality ones from a good bit away as if the sound was coming from the tv itself, but only better. :)

If you connect to their TV via HDMI then you'll get sound via the TV, HDMI carries both video and audio streams. You wouldn't be stuck listening through the laptop speakers.