PDA

View Full Version : Asus Rog G750JZ Fan issue

Xectich
05-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Alright, So i recently bought a new Asus Rog G750JZ like a day ago with windows 8.1 on it ofcourse. The first boot and the first day of usage went flawless. The second day i go on and turn on my brand new machine and it`s normal, entil 10-15 minutes of usage and the fan started going really loud [ i could bearly hear it before that] and that was all from browsing the web and not doing anything. So i thought it would stop eventually, but it kept going till it stopped and started periodicly going from loud to quiete. So i went on the forums to search for a solution. I tryed tweaking the power plan, frankly that didn`t do quite alot... I tryed monitoring the temperatures and it was all good and dandy, nothing unusual. Tryed a factory reset on windows 8, that didn`t do all too much. Tryed using Intel Extreme Tunning Utility, but that didn`t help as well. As I`ve said before, the laptop is bearly used, mostly to research the problem and music along with it. So if anyone can offer me a solution, It`ll be gladly apretiated!

P.S Forgot to mention: The noise is mainly from the left fan, asuming it`s the CPU one.

hmscott
05-11-2014, 07:38 AM
Alright, So i recently bought a new Asus Rog G750JZ like a day ago with windows 8.1 on it ofcourse. The first boot and the first day of usage went flawless. The second day i go on and turn on my brand new machine and it`s normal, entil 10-15 minutes of usage and the fan started going really loud [ i could bearly hear it before that] and that was all from browsing the web and not doing anything. So i thought it would stop eventually, but it kept going till it stopped and started periodicly going from loud to quiete. So i went on the forums to search for a solution. I tryed tweaking the power plan, frankly that didn`t do quite alot... I tryed monitoring the temperatures and it was all good and dandy, nothing unusual. Tryed a factory reset on windows 8, that didn`t do all too much. Tryed using Intel Extreme Tunning Utility, but that didn`t help as well. As I`ve said before, the laptop is bearly used, mostly to research the problem and music along with it. So if anyone can offer me a solution, It`ll be gladly apretiated!

P.S Forgot to mention: The noise is mainly from the left fan, asuming it`s the CPU one.

Xectich, the fan/cooler, when working properly, respond to increased heat coming from the CPU - for the CPU cooler - and the JZ CPU also uses the Intel GPU onboard, so when you do something CPU intensive, and now GPU intensive that runs on the Intel GPU, the cooler will spin up the fan to move more heat out of the laptop.

If you aren't doing anything at the time the fan spins up, then a background process has started that is generating the CPU usage, creating more heat, and the fan spins up to cool things off.

Use the Windows Task Manager, Details tab, sort by CPU usage, and find out what is running in the background.

For me it was the media indexer that is part of the Asus / Cyberlink DVD - I went into the preferences and removed all the folders configured for indexing, and that stopped the frequent background running of that indexer.

Let us know what you find is the background process causing the CPU fan to spin up, others might benefit by knowing too. :)

Xectich
05-11-2014, 08:30 AM
Xectich, the fan/cooler, when working properly, respond to increased heat coming from the CPU - for the CPU cooler - and the JZ CPU also uses the Intel GPU onboard, so when you do something CPU intensive, and now GPU intensive that runs on the Intel GPU, the cooler will spin up the fan to move more heat out of the laptop.

If you aren't doing anything at the time the fan spins up, then a background process has started that is generating the CPU usage, creating more heat, and the fan spins up to cool things off.

Use the Windows Task Manager, Details tab, sort by CPU usage, and find out what is running in the background.

For me it was the media indexer that is part of the Asus / Cyberlink DVD - I went into the preferences and removed all the folders configured for indexing, and that stopped the frequent background running of that indexer.

Let us know what you find is the background process causing the CPU fan to spin up, others might benefit by knowing too. :)

I checked the task manager and nothing unusual. It went from silent to loud, but nothing changed in the cpu % usage in the task manager and the heat of the CPU was around 40C and proccesor usage was aprox. 3-4% tops at the time i was monitoring it, so I assume it`s not from a backgroud app that is running =\ [ tested it with only chrome and task manager oppened from a fresh boot]. Anything else I might try?

hmscott
05-11-2014, 09:08 AM
I checked the task manager and nothing unusual. It went from silent to loud, but nothing changed in the cpu % usage in the task manager and the heat of the CPU was around 40C and proccesor usage was aprox. 3-4% tops at the time i was monitoring it, so I assume it`s not from a backgroud app that is running =\ [ tested it with only chrome and task manager oppened from a fresh boot]. Anything else I might try?

This isn't a mystery causing the fan to increase and decrease, it is increasing and decreasing in speed due to temperature sensor change showing an increase in heat, that triggers the fan to increase in speed, and when the temperature goes down and the sensor shows this decrease, the fan is slowed down.

It is possible that the JZ fan map has a trigger point very close to your idle temperature, so a small increase / decrease causes it to spin up and down. The JH has this problem.

This is a known issue for the JH, like your JZ, except the JZ is also using the Intel CPU onboard GPU - which may mask the cause of this problem because the increased GPU usage may not show in the Task Manager - it may come from GPU requests from the OS or other processes that won't register as CPU usage in the Task Manager.

I don't have an Optimus G750 yet, so I can't research this, but one of the first things I would do is to set every tweak I can find to force use of the Nvidia GTX GPU instead of the Intel CPU/GPU. To reduce the GPU heat load on the CPU and CPU cooler.

It is a known problem with the G750JH that the fan curve is such that near idle the CPU fan can be triggered at the slightest increase in CPU usage - browser refresh, opening folders, etc. The solution was to reduce the voltage to the CPU which brought the heat down enough to be below that trigger point. It solved the problem for me, and I only had to set the voltage offset to -25mV for CPU/CPU cache with XTU.

Try that with the JZ, along with finding all the processes using the Intel GPU and setting them to use the Nvidia GPU, maybe you can cure the problem on the JZ, maybe not.

This might reveal Intel GPU usage, but I can't test it, please give it a try and let us know if it is useful:

Using Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzer (GPA) to analyze Intel® Media Software Development Kit-enabled applications
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-graphics-performance-analyzer-gpa-to-analyze-intel-media-software-development-kit-enabled-applications

Download pdf
https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/m/d/4/1/d/8/intelmsdk_gpa.pdf

Download monitoring, analyzing, server, app
https://software.intel.com/en-us/vcsource/tools/intel-gpa

Installing creates a systray icon that allows you to start analyzers that connect to the server monitoring the GPU/CPU. I don't get the GPU options on my JH, only the CPU options:

What do you see on your Intel GPU enabled system?

Xectich
05-11-2014, 12:12 PM
I have already tryed the tweak with XTU with -25mv, -50mv and -100mv, but nither seemed to solve the issue. I`ve set everything to run with the Nvidia GPU, but that didn`t solve anything as well. With the Intel GPA analyzer i don`t get the GPU options. Still trying to figure if there is a background proccess that is causing it, but can`t find anything unusual. Starting to feel desperate now, is there anything else i might try :( ?

hmscott
05-11-2014, 12:37 PM
I have already tryed the tweak with XTU with -25mv, -50mv and -100mv, but nither seemed to solve the issue. I`ve set everything to run with the Nvidia GPU, but that didn`t solve anything as well. With the Intel GPA analyzer i don`t get the GPU options. Still trying to figure if there is a background proccess that is causing it, but can`t find anything unusual. Starting to feel desperate now, is there anything else i might try :( ?

Xectich, all you can do is to reduce the load on the CPU through every option available, and to leave up a process tracker to watch for intrusive processes running in the background causing random load on the CPU which triggers the fan.

I was hoping to give you a tool to look at Intel GPU usage, which the Task Manager doesn't do, perhaps you can keep looking for something that provides a monitoring view into the Intel GPU usage, if you find something post it here.

Have you looked at the system monitoring logs for anything interesting around the times you are idle and the fan randomly kicks in?

If you can run at -100mV reliably, keep it there, I wish mine would. My JW would run stably at -125mV, give that a try too :)

Also, in Intel XTU, there should be additional tools, settings, monitoring for Intel GPU activity, what do you see? There may be settings to lower GPU load, or even disable it? If you find stuff, please use snipping tool to post what you are seeing.

Xectich
05-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Alright as I kept playing with settings and such I noticed that the fan was constantly going on, even in idle mod when i`m doing absolutely nothing. So i switched back through all of the settings i previously tried and there wasn`t any change at all. The temps are normal, the usage is normal, nothing unusual. I`ve added the XTU settings and the tasks running at the time the fan goes on in the attachments. Hope that helps to figure it out =\ It`s curently still going loud.

hmscott
05-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Alright as I kept playing with settings and such I noticed that the fan was constantly going on, even in idle mod when i`m doing absolutely nothing. So i switched back through all of the settings i previously tried and there wasn`t any change at all. The temps are normal, the usage is normal, nothing unusual. I`ve added the XTU settings and the tasks running at the time the fan goes on in the attachments. Hope that helps to figure it out =\ It`s curently still going loud.

Xectich, you aren't looking at the Processes in a useful way... you need to click on the tab above the CPU column to sort by CPU usage - your list is sorted by name - the default.

You want to sort by CPU usage, so that the high CPU usage processes are on top. You use the scroll bar to the right and move the list to the top - so you can watch the top usage process come into the #1 CPU usage process.

You can also slow down the refresh of the list with the menu View => Update Speed => Low so you can see the high usage process and read it before it drops down again after it's cpu usage drops.

The way you have the process list sorted, and scrolled, you can't see anything useful :)

The good news is the XTU cpu graph is catching the process kicking in every so often. Those blue humps of CPU usage occurring at regular intervals is what is kicking up the CPU usage and making the fan run, then cpu usage drops down again, and the fan slows down again.

You just need to find the process by using Task Manager effectively to see what it is :)

Xectich
05-11-2014, 02:39 PM
These are the proccesses that were running and causing CPU usage at the time the fan kick started and I have no idea what is causing it to speed up :( :

hmscott
05-11-2014, 03:32 PM
These are the proccesses that were running and causing CPU usage at the time the fan kick started and I have no idea what is causing it to speed up :( :

Chrome allocates a new process for every tab, and it looks like 4 tabs were active during that snapshot of the task manager. The CPU usage of those 4 tabs is 12% of all 8 cores, and that means they were taking 1 entire CPU core, which is 100% of 1 CPU core, that's a lot of CPU. 8 cores x 12.5% = 100%

For me, I use firefox, with a number of extensions and tuning to stop reloading tabs, or other background stealers of CPU, like ad's constantly reloading / flipping / etc. chrome has such extensions and tuning too.

You will need to figure out what is running on those tabs that is causing the CPU usage.

At this point, to stop the fan, quit Chrome :)

Now you know what is causing the problem, you only need to learn how to control and fix it.

Here are my minimal Firefox extensions to keep things from taking CPU, my private data, and wasting my time forcing ads in my face.

Xectich
05-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Chrome allocates a new process for every tab, and it looks like 4 tabs were active during that snapshot of the task manager. The CPU usage of those 4 tabs is 12% of all 8 cores, and that means they were taking 1 entire CPU core, which is 100% of 1 CPU core, that's a lot of CPU. 8 cores x 12.5% = 100%

Well it didn`t seem to solve the problem, so i suppose it isn`t from chrome. After i closed it nothing happened, ended all of it`s tasks and so on. The fan still kept doing what it`s doing all day long. It`s even doing it while booting up [ with or without the XTU tweaks ]. Does it when nothing is on. It`s either quite and then kicks up or doesn`t even get quite after the boot, just keeps going at it. Tryed to close every possible background process that was running and could be closed or denied and still the problem exists. Could it be a hardware problem ?

hmscott
05-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Well it didn`t seem to solve the problem, so i suppose it isn`t from chrome. After i closed it nothing happened, ended all of it`s tasks and so on. The fan still kept doing what it`s doing all day long. It`s even doing it while booting up [ with or without the XTU tweaks ]. Does it when nothing is on. It`s either quite and then kicks up or doesn`t even get quite after the boot, just keeps going at it. Tryed to close every possible background process that was running and could be closed or denied and still the problem exists. Could it be a hardware problem ?

The fan doesn't run unless there is a reason for it to run. There is a cause and effect correlation.

You posted a clear CPU usage situation with those 4 chrome tabs generating enough CPU usage to cause the fan to spin up. Quiting Chrome, with nothing else taking their place using CPU should have allowed the fan to slow down after it cooled things off enough.

If the fan is still running high, then keep the Task Manger open, sorted to watch for highest CPU usage processes, and find out what is now using the CPU and generating heat, causing the fan to run.

The fan will run during boot because there is lots of work being done. The CPU is generating heat, mine does the same at boot, then after a minute or so after booting the fan spins down.

If the fan was on 100% all the time, and never changed, without correlating to actual CPU usage, then yes there is something wrong. But so far it doesn't appear that way to me from what you are telling me. You tell me the fan goes up and down, so it isn't stuck on, it is just sensitive and running more than you think it should, but the laptop cooler knows better, it is running as it needs to run to keep things cool.

Xectich
05-11-2014, 04:21 PM
The fan doesn't run unless there is a reason for it to run. There is a cause and effect correlation.

You posted a clear CPU usage situation with those 4 chrome tabs generating enough CPU usage to cause the fan to spin up. Quiting Chrome, with nothing else taking their place using CPU should have allowed the fan to slow down after it cooled things off enough.

If the fan is still running high, then keep the Task Manger open, sorted to watch for highest CPU usage processes, and find out what is now using the CPU and generating heat, causing the fan to run.

The fan will run during boot because there is lots of work being done. The CPU is generating heat, mine does the same at boot, then after a minute or so after booting the fan spins down.

If the fan was on 100% all the time, and never changed, without correlating to actual CPU usage, then yes there is something wrong. But so far it doesn't appear that way to me from what you are telling me. You tell me the fan goes up and down, so it isn't stuck on, it is just sensitive and running more than you think it should, but the laptop cooler knows better, it is running as it needs to run to keep things cool.

So even with chrome open it went quite and a minute or 2 after that it went up again [ while I`m browsing the forum]. I closed chrome and waitied for the fan to get quite and waited to see what happens. [ ofcourse, having nothing opened and not doing anything at all], but yet again it went on and here is a screenshot of the processes using the cpu:

hmscott
05-11-2014, 04:31 PM
So even with chrome open it went quite and a minute or 2 after that it went up again [ while I`m browsing the forum]. I closed chrome and waitied for the fan to get quite and waited to see what happens. [ ofcourse, having nothing opened and not doing anything at all], but yet again it went on and here is a screenshot of the processes using the cpu:

There you go, look at the top 2 processes, doing an idle time scan for malware, at 3MB/sec :)

You are probably hearing increased disk noise when your drive spins up for scanning.

Those arrows next to the processes can be clicked to expand to get more info, what the executables are named, for example.

See, there is no mystery, it is simply background processes running, putting a load on the CPU, generating heat, which causes the fan to spin up and cool things off.

I turn off all background processing. I leave on the real-time scanning for Norton, but disable the batch processing to avoid such background stuff coming in at random times.

As you learn more about what is running on your computer, you can track down these offenders, and configure them not to index, scan, update in the background.

Xectich
05-11-2014, 06:33 PM
There you go, look at the top 2 processes, doing an idle time scan for malware, at 3MB/sec :)

You are probably hearing increased disk noise when your drive spins up for scanning.

Those arrows next to the processes can be clicked to expand to get more info, what the executables are named, for example.

See, there is no mystery, it is simply background processes running, putting a load on the CPU, generating heat, which causes the fan to spin up and cool things off.

I turn off all background processing. I leave on the real-time scanning for Norton, but disable the batch processing to avoid such background stuff coming in at random times.

As you learn more about what is running on your computer, you can track down these offenders, and configure them not to index, scan, update in the background.

Alright, so i did a full factory reset on my PC and got all the drivers and such set up. The one thing that was causing the fan to go up was the windows defender for some reason so when i turn that off it no longer goes off on me all to often. So that`s one source of the problem down [ now i need to find a good antivirus to use, hopefuly a free one >.> ] But that didn`t fix it completely. It still goes on and off randomly, but the periods of time it goes on are longer and it does it when there is flash player involved or when i`m isntalling/downloading something, sometimes while browsing [ this is without the XTU tweak].

I`m using firefox this time with the same add-ons you suggested using. I downloaded HwMonitor to monitor the fan speed and the temperatures and i added a screenshots of when " the fan goes on" occures and the tasks that use the cpu once again:

hmscott
05-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Alright, so i did a full factory reset on my PC and got all the drivers and such set up. The one thing that was causing the fan to go up was the windows defender for some reason so when i turn that off it no longer goes off on me all to often. So that`s one source of the problem down [ now i need to find a good antivirus to use, hopefuly a free one >.> ] But that didn`t fix it completely. It still goes on and off randomly, but the periods of time it goes on are longer and it does it when there is flash player involved or when i`m isntalling/downloading something, sometimes while browsing [ this is without the XTU tweak].

I`m using firefox this time with the same add-ons you suggested using. I downloaded HwMonitor to monitor the fan speed and the temperatures and i added a screenshots of when " the fan goes on" occures and the tasks that use the cpu once again:

Xectich, you are starting to get a handle on what to look for and how to stop excess processes from affecting your PC when you don't want them to, but you need to remember the PC needs to do work, and the fan will run, so you need to get used to it - maybe fix the environment it sits in to reduce the noise to you.

Is the room too quiet? If you are hearing that little fan, then perhaps you are keeping the room too quiet for work / fun :)

If the fan noise is being reflected by the surface it is sitting on, put something under the laptop to absorb the reflections. The same for the sides and wall behind the laptop. You want the air output to diffuse into the room, not bounce off the wall behind and to the sides - same for the noise path. Position the laptop so the hot air out goes into the empty space of the room, it might be as simple as angling the laptop toward one corner of the desk or the other, or maybe you need to have the desk face the center of the room, instead of the wall.

Turn on the XTU voltage offset for CPU/cache again, that will help reduce the sensitivity of the fan on/off by reducing the base heat the CPU creates / holds. It will also help to change the Power plan from High Performance to Balanced. You don't loose peak performance, and you gain the cooling that happens while the CPU is idle or mostly idle.

Keeping the Power Plan at High Performance keeps the CPU Frequency at max all the time - always generating heat. Changing to Balanced will allow the CPU to power down in between tasks and allow the heat build up in the CPU/cooling system to dissipate.

Whatever anti-virus you get, stop it from scanning in between actual work. When the scan is done at download, or copy to disk, that should be enough 99% of the time. Things aren't going to get on the disk without a copy / write to the disk, and that is where to catch the problem, not later after it has already been written. You do want the option to scan a disk on demand, like when hooking up a disk of unknown state - you want to scan the whole volume before using it.

I use Norton Internet Security, and there is a 30 day eval out there, longer ones too, and if you keep reloading your OS, you can keep installing the eval every time you reinstall and it will reset the 30 counter :)

http://us.norton.com/downloads/

The settings for Norton let you remove folders from scanning, and turn off scheduled scans, but enable maximum write time checking. You can also try Norton 360 after the Norton Internet Explorer 30 day trial expires, and then after that expires you can do a trial of just the Norton Anti-Virus.

Don't forget to uninstall the McAfee that came with the laptop, you don't want 2 anti-virus/security scanners installed at the same time!

And, keep figuring out how to stop the Intel CPU on board GPU from being used, configure everything to use the GTX880m, including the desktop OS. That will remove heat from the CPU cooler and put it on the GPU cooler.

Also, you want to remove heat sources from the laptop. So that is why I remove spinning HD's from the laptop. They get hot, and the intake air flows over them to cool them off, before that "cool" air gets to the heatsink fans, so it increases the average temperature of the intake air. Removing the spinning drive heat allows the cooling fans to get cooler intake air.

I put my 1TB drive in an external USB 3.0 Enclosure to make it available, but outside the laptop to keep the heat out. If you are running quiethdd to turn off APM/AAM to reduce HD lag - stop head parking and configure the disk to not sleep while powered on, then the heat generation is going to be even greater. Make sure to get a nice open external enclosure that allows good heat dissipation.

Have fun :)

Xectich
05-12-2014, 07:50 AM
Got Avast as an antivirus, since it`s the only antivirus that i could find that doesn`t cause the problem. But overall i came to the conclusion that it`s a normal fan activity, even if it bothers me, there isn`t anything i can do about it that would stop it completely. I just wish it wasn`t doing it while browsing/watching videos etc. and to only go on while gaming, but I`ll try and play with the settings more, since it`s starting to do it less frequently and for short periods of time, mostly when there is flash involved. Thanks for your help buddy, hope this thread helps others that have the same issue :)

PredatoR_TR
07-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Got Avast as an antivirus, since it`s the only antivirus that i could find that doesn`t cause the problem. But overall i came to the conclusion that it`s a normal fan activity, even if it bothers me, there isn`t anything i can do about it that would stop it completely. I just wish it wasn`t doing it while browsing/watching videos etc. and to only go on while gaming, but I`ll try and play with the settings more, since it`s starting to do it less frequently and for short periods of time, mostly when there is flash involved. Thanks for your help buddy, hope this thread helps others that have the same issue :)

I have exactly the same issue. After 36 or 48 hours use, my left fan never stops. However, believe me, after my CLEVO M571 it is like a heaven. I believe I had around 40db at idle and 55-60db at load with my Clevo. I do not know how load MSI is but my first experience with Asus is going great right now. :)

cagamut
07-17-2014, 09:42 PM
There seems to be a real problem with the new g series cooling fans. I have g750jm and have too much problem with the fans. For example Gpu tweak does not show properly cpu fan speed. In a game both of the fans run loudly but cpu fan reading is wrong. When I first bought laptop it was right. I refreshed windows but it didn't solve the problem. I don't know what caused it.

Your problem may be the gpu tweak version. The version came with the laptop (for me) uses the fans as the temp increases. In windows if you use cpu only left fan increases. In games both of them automaticly increase and when you quit they slow down again. But if you use the newer version of gpu tweak for laptops (from the asus web site) it always runs the fans at full speed. There's no way to configure them.

And there's a lot of driver issues with gtx860m.

THESE G750 SERIES NEEDS NEW DRIVERS IMMEDIATELY BUT THANKS TO ASUS THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT IT.

DuffmasterFresh
07-28-2014, 03:31 PM
I wanted to build off of this thread because my new G750JZ has been very annoying when it comes to the CPU fan (left side). While never loud, the CPU fan goes on and off constantly, it drives me insane even with my own room fan as background noise. I intended to use this laptop for school, but with how often the fan goes on and off, I don't know if I can use it without students or teachers being upset at me.

Like everyone else, even just using google chrome causes the fan to turn on for 10-30 seconds and then back off for 10-30 seconds... wash, rinse, repeat. Most other laptops are dead silent while doing these menial internet tasks, so why can't this laptop also be silent while I'm browsing facebook?

Here is what I did so far:
-Installed Intel XTU and set CPU to -100mV
-Removed Power4Gear and set windows power management to Energy Saver
-Installed NoteBook FanControl and loaded up the Asus Zenbook UX32VD profile. There is no G750 profile so I used whatever. (not smart, I know)
-Task manager to remove running tasks that were unnecessary

With ASUS having fan control:
Ambient Temperature: 20C
CPU Temp (XTU): 40-43C

Using the NoteBook FanControl service, I loaded it up and turned off the CPU fan by setting the control to AUTO. Will the CPU fan ever turn on? I have no idea, I am sure it will whenever it hits this specific profiles heat limit. I have full control of the fan in 12% increments. At 12% it sounds like it's at the normal speed it runs when it goes on and off all the time, so I'm guessing 2300 RPM. All from this NoteBook FanControl service mind you, so who knows what the actual percentage is consider it isn't a custom made profile. So after about half an hour of having no fan on, here is the stats.

With CPU fan turned off for about 25mins:
Ambient Temperature: 22C
CPU Temp (XTU): 58-60C

I noticed the CPU temp hovers around 58-60C without the fan on. During this half hour period, I have been typing this message and looking at Facebook, nothing crazy. It's been so nice not having the fan cycling on and off all the time. Obviously though, the temp at 60C may not be a good thing, and if the ambient temp went up, who knows what the CPU would be at without the fan. Lastly, if this program never turns the fan on, I'm screwed and idk if it will or not. However, using the program I can at least keep the fan running at a quiet 12% which is less annoying than having it go on and off. I just have to let ASUS take control again if I do anything else but web browsing.

Here is a screenshot of whats going on. What do you guys think? The laptop feels very cool at the moment, luke warm is more like it. What do other laptops run their CPU temps at before kicking a fan on?

Side Note: I used the notebook fan control program and looked at Asus GPU Tweak to see what RPM the fans were at in relation to their percentages. Again, this info is probably incorrect but good to see anyway.
12.5% = 2300 RPM
25% = 2600 RPM
37.5% = 3100 RPM
50% = 3300 RPM
62.5% = 3600 RPM
75% = 3900 RPM
87.5% = 4100 RPM
100% = 4300 RPM

PredatoR_TR
08-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Left one starts to irritate me. :) It works continuously. What I don't get it, the machine is very silent at load so I expect a total silence at idle or at internet surfing. I dont know if a better termal compound will help?

hmscott
08-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Left one starts to irritate me. :) It works continuously. What I don't get it, the machine is very silent at load so I expect a total silence at idle or at internet surfing. I dont know if a better termal compound will help?

The JH stays silent, unless the load goes up above 12% ( 1 core 100% use), and if you detune the CPU (run at 99% CPU in Power plan), or add a negative offset to voltage - mine is at -50mV, it will continue being silent a little longer.

Unfortunately, the JZ heats up the CPU die with GPU usage - Optimus - the Intel GPU - and that added heat kicks off the fan all the time. Even if you switch all your apps that you can to use the Nvidia GPU, the Windows Desktop uses the Intel GPU, heating up the CPU die, causing the fan to run.

Anyone have a config tweak to fix this?

PredatoR_TR
08-08-2014, 01:02 PM
The JH stays silent, unless the load goes up above 12% ( 1 core 100% use), and if you detune the CPU (run at 99% CPU in Power plan), or add a negative offset to voltage - mine is at -50mV, it will continue being silent a little longer.

Unfortunately, the JZ heats up the CPU die with GPU usage - Optimus - the Intel GPU - and that added heat kicks off the fan all the time. Even if you switch all your apps that you can to use the Nvidia GPU, the Windows Desktop uses the Intel GPU, heating up the CPU die, causing the fan to run.

Anyone have a config tweak to fix this?

I am very interested in new 4860hq cpu which has intel 5200 gpu on it. This model is already being sold here and I am very curious if it heats up less.

Kelusion
08-09-2014, 08:56 PM
I wanted to build off of this thread because my new G750JZ has been very annoying when it comes to the CPU fan (left side). While never loud, the CPU fan goes on and off constantly, it drives me insane even with my own room fan as background noise. I intended to use this laptop for school, but with how often the fan goes on and off, I don't know if I can use it without students or teachers being upset at me.

Like everyone else, even just using google chrome causes the fan to turn on for 10-30 seconds and then back off for 10-30 seconds... wash, rinse, repeat. Most other laptops are dead silent while doing these menial internet tasks, so why can't this laptop also be silent while I'm browsing facebook?

Here is what I did so far:
-Installed Intel XTU and set CPU to -100mV
-Removed Power4Gear and set windows power management to Energy Saver
-Installed NoteBook FanControl and loaded up the Asus Zenbook UX32VD profile. There is no G750 profile so I used whatever. (not smart, I know)
-Task manager to remove running tasks that were unnecessary

With ASUS having fan control:
Ambient Temperature: 20C
CPU Temp (XTU): 40-43C

Using the NoteBook FanControl service, I loaded it up and turned off the CPU fan by setting the control to AUTO. Will the CPU fan ever turn on? I have no idea, I am sure it will whenever it hits this specific profiles heat limit. I have full control of the fan in 12% increments. At 12% it sounds like it's at the normal speed it runs when it goes on and off all the time, so I'm guessing 2300 RPM. All from this NoteBook FanControl service mind you, so who knows what the actual percentage is consider it isn't a custom made profile. So after about half an hour of having no fan on, here is the stats.

With CPU fan turned off for about 25mins:
Ambient Temperature: 22C
CPU Temp (XTU): 58-60C

I noticed the CPU temp hovers around 58-60C without the fan on. During this half hour period, I have been typing this message and looking at Facebook, nothing crazy. It's been so nice not having the fan cycling on and off all the time. Obviously though, the temp at 60C may not be a good thing, and if the ambient temp went up, who knows what the CPU would be at without the fan. Lastly, if this program never turns the fan on, I'm screwed and idk if it will or not. However, using the program I can at least keep the fan running at a quiet 12% which is less annoying than having it go on and off. I just have to let ASUS take control again if I do anything else but web browsing.

Here is a screenshot of whats going on. What do you guys think? The laptop feels very cool at the moment, luke warm is more like it. What do other laptops run their CPU temps at before kicking a fan on?

Side Note: I used the notebook fan control program and looked at Asus GPU Tweak to see what RPM the fans were at in relation to their percentages. Again, this info is probably incorrect but good to see anyway.
12.5% = 2300 RPM
25% = 2600 RPM
37.5% = 3100 RPM
50% = 3300 RPM
62.5% = 3600 RPM
75% = 3900 RPM
87.5% = 4100 RPM
100% = 4300 RPM

Not sure about your JZ with the fans, I have a JZ 4710HQ one with dead sound at 2,300 RPM no spin offs or any rackets to notice like people have mentioned here. Room's empty nothing is running in the ambient background, except this Laptop on the table. And for me I am quite surprised how great they have the done the cooling on this laptop. The utilization idle is 1-3% ( with chrome open/steam running as well as mind you if you see my chrome and the tabs I have open you will jump out of your seat cause I have 20+ open nearly all the time or more lol) the right fan ofcourse is dead unless gaming or heavy particular GPU constraint apps are being used, but the left one is also dead in idle and normal Chrome with Vids/Streams and tons of tabs along with MS Outlook 2013 always opened constantly at the background. If I manouver or open something new Normal Apps there is a slight increase in util from 1%-7% MAX for like a .millisecond and goes which I can see as I keep my monitoring stuff all active on my second screen and nothing else above this.

But like I said, I can't hear any fans at all. Both of them clock at 2300 RPM default and I have yet to twiggle around with the CPU Offset Voltages and what not like I have seen people do or mentioned here. The only other thing worth mentioning is the Power Plan, I have Windows Balanced mode going on, and never on High Performance cause basically I just don't need that much performance and I never uninstalled Power2Gear but never use it as well. I run games like Grid Sport, TR and lots of other big names which rely on power/gpu and then only you see the util somewhere near 25-35% and CPU/GPU near 50-60+ C and fans at 2700 RPM or vice versa when needed depending on the game or the App like 3DMax for rendering which goes upto 27% if its a huge rendering then falls back within seconds to 1-7% again and then even lower if it goes idle.

Nothing wrong with JZ at all even though it has Optimus, and I couldn't be more then happier with it reading tons of threads here before purchasing one with keeping my fingers crossed, all in all I would recommend keeping the fan on for the CPU if you see it heat like you mentioned reaching 60 C, it needs the fans to cool it in order to not to damage the CPU. Goodluck with your JZ, hope you get the issues resolved :)

Mojey
08-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Having the same problem with my JZ. Left Fan's going on and off for hours when I'm just surfing. #22 is right. I'd be glad if someone found a solution.

PredatoR_TR
08-15-2014, 09:25 PM
New BIOS doesnt help for the issue? Has anyone tried yet?

Mojey
08-30-2014, 05:27 PM
I didn't realize that there was a new BIOS version available for the JZ, thanks! I have flashed my BIOS and now the fan still goes on and off every 2-4 minutes for about 30 to 40 seconds. So, unfortunately, that's no improvement for me.

I'd like to mention one more thing, though: ASUS GPU Tweak says in idle mode that CPU and GPU fan speed are both at 2300, but I can't feel any air coming out. When the left fan turns on, it's the same: both 2300 RPM (though I can feel some air). At first, I thought the program simply can't read the fan speed at all. But when I turn "Run GPU fan at full speed" on, it says 25500 GPU fan and 4700 CPU fan. Is that normal?

EDIT: By the way, I had my first JZ returned because of a dead pixel and that one had the very same fan issue! That's why I'm also starting to think that that's intentional, but PLEASE Asus, change this! It's annoying :(

PredatoR_TR
08-30-2014, 05:37 PM
By the way, one small tip:

When I am at internet browsing, I use power4gear power saving mode and left fan works less frequent. That is something at least.

To Mojey;

If your laptop really shouts at full speed, then it is fine I think)

Wulff
08-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Im also on the windows balanced powerplan here instead of using that power4gear stuff cause that has only 2 plans high or low. i saw in the config file of it there are more plans but i couldnt get those to show in power4gear, anyone has been able to do that?

other plans wich are not available for some reason:

[P4G]

[ENTERTAINMENT]
HddOffTimeDc=600
HddOffTimeAc=1200
SleepAfterDc=900
SleepAfterAc=3600
DisplayDimTimeDc=300
DisplayDimTimeAc=900
CpuThrottleMinDc=5
CpuThrottleMinAc=5
CpuThrottleMaxDc=80
CpuThrottleMaxAc=100
DisplayOffTimeDc=600
DisplayOffTimeAc=1800
DisplayBrightnessDc=80
DisplayBrightnessAc=100
DCCPU0=16
DCCPU1=8
DCCPU2=1
DCCPU3=1
ACCPU0=16
ACCPU1=8
ACCPU2=1
ACCPU3=1
DCCPU=1
ACCPU=0

[QUIETOFFICE]
HddOffTimeDc=300
HddOffTimeAc=1200
SleepAfterDc=900
SleepAfterAc=1800
DisplayDimTimeDc=60
DisplayDimTimeAc=300
CpuThrottleMinDc=5
CpuThrottleMinAc=5
CpuThrottleMaxDc=70
CpuThrottleMaxAc=70
DisplayOffTimeDc=180
DisplayOffTimeAc=1200
DisplayBrightnessDc=60
DisplayBrightnessAc=80
DCCPU0=16
DCCPU1=8
DCCPU2=1
DCCPU3=1
ACCPU0=16
ACCPU1=8
ACCPU2=1
ACCPU3=1
DCCPU=2
ACCPU=2

[GLOBAL]
Presentation=off
HideDesktopIcon=off

But on balanced setting when surfing the web or whatever cpu temp is around 42-45 degrees at max. i did notice that here in my home the left fan collected some dust quite fast wich does cause it to be a bit louder so i guess this notebook should be cleaned quite often to keep it as quiet as possible.

Just tried it again with skype, soulseek, chrome with 8 tabs open and the rest of the standard running stuff and cpu varies on the cores between 34 and 42 degrees celsius

lord of persia
10-28-2014, 09:47 AM
hi
i buying G750 jz .and i lost my GPU tweak.i install new version of this software.but cant turn on my fan.can help me find older version?

i want this version:http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2v2jt7c&s=8#.VE9nk_mUduB

hmscott
10-28-2014, 10:35 PM
hi
i buying G750 jz .and i lost my GPU tweak.i install new version of this software.but cant turn on my fan.can help me find older version?

i want this version:http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2v2jt7c&s=8#.VE9nk_mUduB

For the JZ you want the Asus Tweak Tool for Laptops, the latest version is v1.0.9

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops vs Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Graphics-Cards&p=387929&viewfull=1#post387929

RayofLight
11-08-2014, 05:49 PM
I was thinking of taking this in to where I got it from to see if they'd know of a way to help me with the fan. I purchased a JZ as well a week ago and for the first few days it did not have this issue at all, but now I am running into the same problem as you all with the left CPU fan. I don't see the CPU usage go above 5 percent except every few minutes there is one spike and there it goes again! I have been looking at the task manager (I always have it open from habit, and I'd like to give Microsoft credit for making it much more useful and easier to check on things this round) and it isn't helping identify anything that is using cpu of over 2%. The fan has cycled about 10 times while I've read this entire thread, and it is getting to be pain. Is there anything Asus is thinking of doing to help with this.

Timijay
12-20-2015, 11:00 PM
This post might help some of us

I have seen this similar problem before and fixed it twice.

What is the problem?

The CPU 4 wire fan seems to be prone to a build up of dust and static around the little circuit board which is inside the fan on the upside.

This static seems to cause the fan to;

- go at full speed or
- be eratic and
- eventually stop all together.

How to fix this?

1. If under warranty get it repaired or,

2. If you are not technical then go to a PC repairer and explain the problem or,

3. Open up the laptop (how to link) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0dkQ4rajyM) and try giving the fan a good clean with some air and then use electronic circuit board cleaner to spray inside the fan and clean the little circuit board.

You may gently push the fan down to expose the little circuit board. It may take a few goes, so test before a complete reassembling.

TEST Note: It is a good idea to disconnect the fan from the board and test it interdependently with a 12v DC power source to the red+ and black- wires. If this fails I suggest replacing the fan.

Hope this helps