PDA

View Full Version : G51jx-x3 graphics card still overheating after replacing thermal pads

Voluptuous Goat
05-11-2014, 01:16 AM
Hi,

What it says on the tin. Have an older G series laptop. Ripped the thermal pads when I replaced the thermal paste a week ago. Replaced the thermal pads with new, 1mm pads. Reassembled everything as per normal. Booted laptop, everything is fine. Checked temperatures. Everything fine. Started browsing the web with Firefox, temperatures shot up to 90 Celsius. Shut off the laptop, squished pads down, reapplied paste, just to make sure everything was in proper contact. Blew it out, the usual maintenance just in case. Still shooting up to 90 Celsius while under any load. Video card dumps heat from 90 to 60 or lower in a handful of seconds. Not normal.

Did I replace the old pads with the correct thickness on the new pads? Is the censor on the card faulty? I am honestly stumped on this one. Hence asking here as Google has failed me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Voluptuous Goat
05-11-2014, 03:38 AM
Through process of elimination, the two of us determined the heatsink was bent thus not making full contact with the gpu. Thermal pad thickness is .5 or .7mm not the .1mm ordered. Temperature has leveled out at 70 Celsius under load. Hopefully this helps others who might be Googling around for thermal pads for this particular laptop.

Cheers.