PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750JW Memory Upgrade

Bipolarsmile
05-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Hello there,

I had a few questions about upgrading my memory,my actual goal is to add 8 gb,first of all my laptop has 8gb and i dont know if its in a 2x4 config or just a single stick,i opened up the back panel but the memory slots were empty,maybe the memory it came with is internal?
What i do know is that i should use a 1.35v memory when upgrading,now my question is the first about the config of my current mem and if i should get a 2x4 config or just a single 8gb stick?

Sorry ahead about the newbie questions,would greatly appreciate your help guys.

hmscott
05-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Hello there,

I had a few questions about upgrading my memory,my actual goal is to add 8 gb,first of all my laptop has 8gb and i dont know if its in a 2x4 config or just a single stick,i opened up the back panel but the memory slots were empty,maybe the memory it came with is internal?
What i do know is that i should use a 1.35v memory when upgrading,now my question is the first about the config of my current mem and if i should get a 2x4 config or just a single 8gb stick?

This sticky is a long thread, and you should read to the end before rushing out and purchasing memory, and search the forums for memory mentions, CPU-Z, HWinfo, but it is all there :)

Upgraders: 1.35V memory is required!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1.35V-memory-is-required!

It is best to add memory from the same manufacturer, and memory model line, to match successfully, or replace all 4 SODMM's with completely new memory, than it is to try to make "similar" foreign memory try to be compatible with what is already installed - and examples that work for others may not work for you because the memory make/model you got in your laptop is just as likely completely different than what they got in theirs - so their compatibility experience won't be your compatibility experience.

That should get you started on the right frame of mind :)

SteelersFANinMA
05-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Hello there,

You can view exactly what's in your ram slots with Speccy, (It's free to use): http://filehippo.com/download_speccy/

hmscott
05-11-2014, 11:52 PM
You can view exactly what's in your ram slots with Speccy, (It's free to use): http://filehippo.com/download_speccy/

SteelersFANinMA, I don't recommend Piriform's speccy, because of 1 particular anomaly, it doesn't show a stable memory clock rate, it fluctuates, indicating a problem with the memory bus, where the problem is in speccy itself - there are lots of reports of this problem on the internet, for a number of years, and surprisingly it still isn't fixed.

CPU-Z is the quickest, least intrusive app to view the SPD data, and HWinfo is the newest most stable all in one monitoring and hardware data presenter. I also use AIDA64, but it no longer has a free version, just 30 day eval's.

I also use Piriform's CCleaner, and it is great, and if you can ignore the weird memory bus speed jumps, speccy is useful too, but overall I only need a couple of hardware monitoring tools that work well, so speccy gets left off my builds most of the time.

Here is the last thread where I posted specifics about the problem:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46437-750JX-Dram-Frequency-Inconsistency-Is-this-right&p=394761&viewfull=1#post394761

SteelersFANinMA
05-12-2014, 02:13 AM
SteelersFANinMA, I don't recommend Piriform's speccy, because of 1 particular anomaly, it doesn't show a stable memory clock rate, it fluctuates, indicating a problem with the memory bus, where the problem is in speccy itself - there are lots of reports of this problem on the internet, for a number of years, and surprisingly it still isn't fixed.

CPU-Z is the quickest, least intrusive app to view the SPD data, and HWinfo is the newest most stable all in one monitoring and hardware data presenter. I also use AIDA64, but it no longer has a free version, just 30 day eval's.

I also use Piriform's CCleaner, and it is great, and if you can ignore the weird memory bus speed jumps, speccy is useful too, but overall I only need a couple of hardware monitoring tools that work well, so speccy gets left off my builds most of the time.

Here is the last thread where I posted specifics about the problem:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46437-750JX-Dram-Frequency-Inconsistency-Is-this-right&p=394761&viewfull=1#post394761

No problem. I use all of the above mentioned programs as well. I wasn't aware of the memory clock issue though so, thanks for the info. Despite the clock issue, I still believe that Speccy would give Bipolarsmile all the info. he/she was asking for and then some. To add to your point about Speccy, it lists my ram sticks in slots 1 & 2 where HWinfo list them in slots 1 & 3 and CPU-Z lists them in slots 2 & 4. I'm not sure which one of those is correct or that it matters that much, but I'm pretty sure to run in dual channel mode they shouldn't be in consecutive slots?

hmscott
05-12-2014, 02:49 AM
No problem. I use all of the above mentioned programs as well. I wasn't aware of the memory clock issue though so, thanks for the info. Despite the clock issue, I still believe that Speccy would give Bipolarsmile all the info. he/she was asking for and then some. To add to your point about Speccy, it lists my ram sticks in slots 1 & 2 where HWinfo list them in slots 1 & 3 and CPU-Z lists them in slots 2 & 4. I'm not sure which one of those is correct or that it matters that much, but I'm pretty sure to run in dual channel mode they shouldn't be in consecutive slots?

SteelersFANinMA, Asus usually fills the 2 slots on top for a matched pair, and the bottom 2 slots are either empty, 1 slot is free like mine, or some come with all 4 filled for 2 matched SODIMM pairs.

Memory slots usually pair/triple/match in odds or evens. So either HWinfo with 1/3 (odd pair) or CPU-Z 2/4 (even pair) are correct. It doesn't matter which is correct I suppose, proximity makes the choice easy :)

Bipolarsmile
05-12-2014, 06:00 AM
First of all thanks for the reply guys,so i checked with cpu-z and it appears i have a single stick made by hyundai?
im doubtful i can find the same memory stick to add to it,and i really prefer not to open up the laptop more than the back panel for the upgrades.
so should i even add another stick or would it not benefit?
Ill try and add a pic of cpu-z if that gives you guys any useful info.

hmscott
05-12-2014, 07:26 AM
First of all thanks for the reply guys,so i checked with cpu-z and it appears i have a single stick made by hyundai?
im doubtful i can find the same memory stick to add to it,and i really prefer not to open up the laptop more than the back panel for the upgrades.
so should i even add another stick or would it not benefit?
Ill try and add a pic of cpu-z if that gives you guys any useful info.

Bipolarsmile, that's great news! Now you can get 2 more to add into the bottom slots, and you can have 24GB :)

That is the same memory I have in my JH, which came with 3 of them, so I ordered 1 on ebay and now I have 32GB. The JH ran fine with 3 installed, and so will yours :)

There are lots of hits on the part on google:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hmt41gs6afr8a-pb&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

And, on google shopping:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hmt41gs6afr8a-pb&num=50&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=OfR&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=Y3dwU6X3KMn4oAS4_oH4Ag&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1120&bih=536

ebay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=hmt41gs6afr8a-pb&_sacat=0

You could order 3, and install 2 now, and add the last one for a total of 32GB when you find a shop that you feel comfortable with opening the top to add it to the open slot.

Bipolarsmile
05-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Well i could get the same stick from Ebay,but i could get a gskill or corsair memory at a lower price,and from the benchmarks i saw online the memory stick i have is the worst in terms of performance,so my question is if it would be bad if i get a corsair or other brand memory stick or should i just add up more $ and get the same stick?

Thanks again for the help =]

hmscott
05-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Well i could get the same stick from Ebay,but i could get a gskill or corsair memory at a lower price,and from the benchmarks i saw online the memory stick i have is the worst in terms of performance,so my question is if it would be bad if i get a corsair or other brand memory stick or should i just add up more $ and get the same stick?

Thanks again for the help =]

If you don't want the performance of the stick already installed, then you need to remove it first :)

Then you can choose any DDR3L 8GB SODIMM's, all the same, to make sure they are compatible.

But, don't do it to save $, do it to improve performance!

Check out povetkin's posts, if you are going to go through the trouble of pulling everything apart, then get the best memory reported results so far:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1.35V-memory-is-required!&p=316319&viewfull=1#post316319

Realistically, except for some benchmarks, you won't notice the performance difference between getting 3 more of the same for $300, or spending $350 on 2 pairs of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231709

The problem is pulling everything apart to get out that one 8GB SODIMM so you can get all compatible memory installed, or just get 2 more of the same and install them in the easy access bottom slots.

Let us know what you decide, and how it works out :)

aimberg
09-06-2018, 10:59 AM
Hi guys, I currently have G750JW with its original Samsung Memory sticks, but Im looking to upgrade with extra 2x8GB memory sticks and make it a total of 24GB.

What are the things that I need to look for when im getting memory sticks and could someone recommend manufacturer ?

Thanks